Sign in to follow this  
Gorelander

I don't understand the direction of this "pirate" game.

Each time I see a patch I have to roll my eyes in disappointment.

First and foremost Atlas was advertised as a pirate game.  However for some reason, those in charge have been treating it like an island conquest game, or a game for large trading companies.  The devs keep adding endgame type stuff, but what about improving just the basic flavour of the game that everyone would be interested in ?   We still have stupid amounts of fleets of the damned, nowhere to build, and very limited questing.

Why not do something interesting like have royal navy/ pirate factions?  How about replace the pedestrian ubiquitous fleets of the damned with NPC wild pirates?   Change something in the game that makes us actually want to log back on and play!  There was so much potential with Atlas but they seem to squander it away with dumb decisions.  I don't think they understand their player base at all.

I've given up on this game because I don't think they're going to make anything good out of this.   Hopefully someone will eventually make a great open world sandbox survival that is between Atlas and Sea of Thieves.

Upon retrospect and at the risk of contradicting myself, I wonder if Atlas was really advertised as a "pirate game".  What do you think?

I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm itching for a really good sandbox MMO pirate survival game.  Sea of Thieves is a really good polished game, but has no continuity is too repetitive.  I don't want to ship battle other players all day.   I'd like something more immersive.

Maybe my expectations of this game are wrong and I simply bought a game that wasn't what I was actually looking for.

Edited by Gorelander

im not sure it was advertised as a pirate game, i think we all leapt to that conclusion because we want one lol.

i dont mind a colony conquest game so much but youre right, give us at least enemy of either wild pirates and/or royal navy. hell, the spanish, english, french, even dutch  handed out letters of marque to pirates to make them privateers for hunting pirates. would love to see stuff like that happen in game. might bring alot of folks back if you put npc factions in the game for pve and actually let players in pvp populate those factions lol

I do agree. They are lazy and or don't have the power to make real decisions. How many people actually board a boat, kill everyone and sit there for 15-25 hrs to steal it. C'mon. The game is how they want it, they want to run the large companies and don't give a shit about any playerbase. Ark is their go to, and will be for Ark 2. Only reason we get any Atlas update at all is because they are milking a dead cow. Keep getting paid for doing as little as possible for as long as it lasts. If your going to have polls that are one day only and your not allowed to have a discussion about it, then you simply don't care about new players. You are catering to existing customers that blow you. You know its all about retention. Takes a big head to have that type of attitude. I loved Ark, loved Atlas, neither game went where it was supposed to. Both have a toxic playerbase because of toxic devs. They think wipe hype manages to bring in a large pool of players. Every patch delayed. Like the xbox excuse is something new.  I actually just got kicked from the discord, for... profanity toward the devs will not be tolerated. Imagine that! LOL

Sadly they can't really move forward with content because they just can't get the basic mechanics of the game working right/ finalized.  I think a lot of the non-creative problems have to do with reskinning Ark rather than starting from scratch - which they should have done IMO.

They're making a creative mistake with respect to referencing real world elements such as the "Africa" biome etc.  By not referencing real world elements, players don't know if you're sailing in a different time, a different world, and that ambiguity keeps things open to different fantasy elements they can still use.  Goodness knows things are getting more "fantastic" all the time with portals etc.  I think the world should look pretty normal at first, but as you delve further in the game you unlock it's fantasy elements which drags you into an immersive hole of wonder.  Instead, ghost ships are vessels of regular thoroughfare and portals are commonplace.

I assumed the game took place in a different world given the aberrant look of the animals and monsters in the game.  I suppose it could be an "alternate timeline" of our existing world, but I digress.

That being said, taming/ riding dolphins is still ridiculous in any scenario.   😉

Edited by Gorelander