Sign in to follow this  
decoyy

Sneak-peak at patch 536.2 dropping tonight!

Temple Monument, Tramp Freighter and Combat Changes! 

What's your guys thoughts on the current direction of Atlas?

• Like 1

Ack more modular pre-built ships.

Good to see a fair bit of bug fixes although there are some key bugs that weren't on that list.

15 hours ago, decoyy said:

Temple Monument, Tramp Freighter and Combat Changes! 

What's your guys thoughts on the current direction of Atlas?

Wow interesting Decoyy joins this forum to start discussion here. One of the most popular Atlas Youtuber with a special role in the Discord channel. Does this mean the Devs will show up here in the forum too or Decoyy even gets some kind of Community Manager position? Will watch the video after work.

What's putting me off Atlas more than anything, isn't so much more modular pre fab ships, it's how bad they look. They don't resemble real ships from the golden age of Pyracy barely at all. There's hardly any decoration and they look like floating boxes with no streamlined shape or form.(I wont even mention the trireme in detail) If all ships are gonna end up this way in the future then I think most of the older loyal players will be gone. And tbh I don't see them getting many new players either. When you consider all the source material available for old galleons and brigs and ships of the line etc it makes me wonder if they even bother looking. It was bad enough when people were building their own floating boxes , but at least they were doing it for a reason. It seems like Atlas has become a boiling sea of ideas with no clear single destination. That's what happens when too many people try to steer a project. You end up with a disjointed mess.YOUR PRE FAB SHIPS LOOK LIKE FLOATING GARDEN SHEDS. I have honestly seen better ships drawn in story books about Noahs Ark. Seriously Devs, take the criticism now, before it's too late. Cos if another Pyrate based game gets released that's even slightly better , you'll be sunk.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Nacona said:

Wow interesting Decoyy joins this forum to start discussion here. One of the most popular Atlas Youtuber with a special role in the Discord channel. Does this mean the Devs will show up here in the forum too or Decoyy even gets some kind of Community Manager position? Will watch the video after work.

Pretty sure the devs paid him to do it. The devs won’t be showing up here. They have never really been good at hyping even since they announced atlas at the game showcase 

3 hours ago, Whitehawk said:

What's putting me off Atlas more than anything, isn't so much more modular pre fab ships, it's how bad they look. They don't resemble real ships from the golden age of Pyracy barely at all. There's hardly any decoration and they look like floating boxes with no streamlined shape or form.(I wont even mention the trireme in detail) If all ships are gonna end up this way in the future then I think most of the older loyal players will be gone. And tbh I don't see them getting many new players either. When you consider all the source material available for old galleons and brigs and ships of the line etc it makes me wonder if they even bother looking. It was bad enough when people were building their own floating boxes , but at least they were doing it for a reason. It seems like Atlas has become a boiling sea of ideas with no clear single destination. That's what happens when too many people try to steer a project. You end up with a disjointed mess.YOUR PRE FAB SHIPS LOOK LIKE FLOATING GARDEN SHEDS. I have honestly seen better ships drawn in story books about Noahs Ark. Seriously Devs, take the criticism now, before it's too late. Cos if another Pyrate based game gets released that's even slightly better , you'll be sunk.

There is definitely not a clear direction, but I think people like me and you have already known that. This new stuff is just more reinforcement for what we know.

you add in their bad design along with the pre built aspect and I am not happy at all. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Nacona said:

#DecoyyforCM

• Like 1

@decoyy Nice video. It's a good summary of the patch. I have one remark about the tramp freighter. I can see it is buildable in my advanced shipyard without blue print. But both of my shipyards(also the large one for 10k gold) now show water is not deep enough after the patch. But i can build the freighter once i add all resources in the shipyard... so I guess large shipyard will still work too.

The freighter has 265/4000 weight when empty level 0. I wonder how much of the 4x1600 weight cargos you can effectively use...>>>> 1? <<<<

Sso the 1 module length Cog has double weight capacity 9000 then the longer freighter but no option to put a cargo railing on it. I expect every new Player will not understand the mechanic of the cargo racks or learn speed mechanics of old weight system ships and sails. Usually each cargo rack reduces the basic ship speed by something about 10-20%(don't remeber the correct value) and additionaly increases the ship weight as well. It can store 8000 weight reducing it to 1600 = 5:1. Will test the speed tomorrow with the basic sails... at least 1x large and 1x medium which is more than a Schooner. Compared to the Cogs single small sail .... well another topic XD

So here are the test results of the freighter ship speed:

1. The time to sink the ship when climbing the ladder encumbered with 16000 weight is about 60 seconds. So if you want to put resources into two cargos you need to be fast... otherwise this ship will be destroyed *muhahaha*

2. Speed with standard sails 1x large and 1x medium handling is 25 knots at about 70% wind speed -> with speed sails and a storm you may easy get faster than 30 knots. For this speed you need to drop all 4 cargo racks.

3. At 70% wind speed and config above but with all 4 cargos attached your speed will be about 15 knots.

4. With two cargos attached, 70% wind speed and those cargos are full weight you will go about 10-11 knots at a weight of 3550/4000. This pretty insane. YOu can increase the speed a lot if you spent lots of level into weight(each +200)

5. If you have 4 cargos attached and two fully loaded you will have 5 knots speed... so this config should be avoided.

So the way to go is drop down two cargos and only use 2 of the 4. Than you have a 4000 weight ship which is much faster with two cargos than a Brigantine. A Galleon should be still faster but once skilled on weight a lot the freighter may gets faster due to it's insane empty speed.

As far I tested I can't remove the cargo rack railings and I can't replace them with other railings. It always shows failure: No snap point for [...] So you can't add diving attachment, dingy, cannons, balista or catapult on this ship. If you drop cargos you can place a new one with the "old" cargo rack crafted and having it in your inventory. You can't replace a cargo on the rack with the cargo railing in your inventory. At least refilling the crago does not require anchored in shipyard.

Below deck you can place cannon modules up to 4 of them. But standard ship has 10/12 module points. So If you place double cannon module it requires 1 additional point which means you can place two of those. Single gun ports require 3 points so you can't place those. Rowing oars showing attachable and require one point but i was not able to place them... they simply do not get attached.

Biggest issue of this ship is like all modular ships a totaly bad turning speed. But good to know the handling sails bug is working. So if ship speed is 0 knots you fully turn the rudder and than hit keys "W" and command "fast sails down" at the same time and hold them. Ship speed will stay at 0 but you can turn faster. Be warned once you release one of the keys your sails are fully open and ship will start moving forward fast... some lost their ships by accident using this...

Second biggest issue: Did I mention repair kits costs are way to high and the system of looking 5 seconds on that module to restore some HP is just silly.

For the Devs(if this feedback raches you): I don't understand the new ship speeds at all... I mean it was fun to have the bug with invincible 50 knots sloops that couldn't turn at beginning of season 5... but now all modular ships get speed of 25-35 knots??????????

Edited by Nacona

so here is my next update about the freigther ship speed.

I used the ship to drive from Africa to South America about 5 grids distance in less than 30 minutes... this is hilarious. The ship ignores wind speed and has always full wind power in the sails if you turn them in wind direction at least. Average travel speed is 25 knots.

I loaded 16k weight of cobalt into two of the cargos which are full than. That's about 23k cobalt. So I had now a ship weight of 4750/6200. My travel speed with two full cargos and 76% ship weight was 22-23 knots ... !!! As long you have green (handling) sails you keep this speed which means you can pretty much drive full against the wind... this handling sails on the ship have more wind angle than on the old ships some how...

I entered trade wind and got speed up to "only" 25-26 knots... So this ship is loaded close to as fast as the trade wind but where ever you go. I skilled up to 7600 weight as you get every few minutes a ship level up just by the distance you drive. This changed the speed only about 1 knots in total... now i am pretty sure i can drive 20+ knots even with 3x full cargos... RIP transport Galleon...

Update tramp Freighter Speed number 3:

I collected some more metall around the Atlas and with more ship levels I decided to put 3 cargos now.

So first test of speed with 3 full cargos and additional weight in the ship resource box I had 7250/8200 weight which is 88% weight. Ship speed dropped down to 8-10 knots at 0-20% wind speed... so this is the minimum speed you will have if you go with 3 full cargos. The turning speed fully loaded is way better compared to the empty ship... it feels quite nice at this weight.

At my home base I reduced the weight to have only the 3 full cargos. With a weight of 5500/8600 (ship Level 25)I got a speed of 13 knots with the lowest wind speed possible in the game. So with 3 Cargos Wind speed does acutally matter. It's still very fast compared to a Brigantine or even a Galleone with 3 Cargos.

So to skill this ship full on weight you have the option to transport up to 3 cargos. Number 4 I highly recommend to not use seeing the speed drop from 2 to 3 which is about 10-13 knots slover in average.

@ Devs: I once again want to point out that using the game mechanics like this nobody can understand what happens if you attach a cargo and how to use weight properly.... 2 cargos and some levels on weight and you have all the time 23 knots...

Edited by Nacona