Sign in to follow this  
Gorelander

Idea: Alternate Game Intro

Here's an idea I was thinking about:

Another way to launch a player would be to have a cinematic with them setting sale as a crew member on an NPC boat but get caught in a storm (or sucked into a portal).   During this storm they could have an instanced tutorial on how to do things in the game (control/ repair, place items on the boat).  They end up getting shipwrecked on a semi-deserted island.   Here they have to build a boat/ raft and try to find their way forwards, continuing the tutorial until they set-sail.  Of course the cinematic could by bypassed if you've done it before.

Upon building your boat you can sail to a freeport nearby where you can buy some crew (like the current start zone), and join a faction:

1. Merchant Guild
  2. The King's Navy
  3. Unlawful Pirates

Benefits:

• the game could position the player on a deserted island in the least populated area of the map thereby spreading out players and better distributing land claims
  • having such a dramatic cinematic could be more interesting for new players and maintain their attention (anyone see the first episode of Lost?)
  • gives players a raison d'etre - some sort of back story that gives them a reason and motivation to continue

If anyone would like to contribute ideas feel free.  I'm not sure if the devs actually read these posts, but it's fun to spit-ball ideas for rhetorical reasons.

3 hours ago, Gorelander said:

Another way to launch a player would be to have a cinematic with them setting sale as a crew member on an NPC boat but get caught in a storm (or sucked into a portal).   During this storm they could have an instanced tutorial on how to do things in the game (control/ repair, place items on the boat).  They end up getting shipwrecked on a semi-deserted island.   Here they have to build a boat/ raft and try to find their way forwards, continuing the tutorial until they set-sail.  Of course the cinematic could by bypassed if you've done it before.

Upon building your boat you can sail to a freeport nearby where you can buy some crew (like the current start zone), and join a faction:

1. Merchant Guild
  2. The King's Navy
  3. Unlawful Pirates

Benefits:

• the game could position the player on a deserted island in the least populated area of the map thereby spreading out players and better distributing land claims
  • having such a dramatic cinematic could be more interesting for new players and maintain their attention (anyone see the first episode of Lost?)
  • gives players a raison d'etre - some sort of back story that gives them a reason and motivation to continue

If anyone would like to contribute ideas feel free.  I'm not sure if the devs actually read these posts, but it's fun to spit-ball ideas for rhetorical reasons.

Very good idea man. It really is.

for them to do that would take A LOT of time away from what they really need to do as we discussed which is fix bugs. 

after the game is finely tuned? Hell yeah, let’s get this going. I see this as at least a year out though with what they need to do first.

10 hours ago, Gorelander said:

1. Merchant Guild
  2. The King's Navy
  3. Unlawful Pirates

Benefits:

i mean the idea is not bad itseld, but considering how poorly the game performs and all the bugs i think the players would leave anyway, specially when they find entire islands owned by the same person