Sign in to follow this  
Dev Crusher

Small groups and Single Player

RedBeard,

i am afraid that you are aiming in the wrong direction again, just like all of the other 5000 Grapeshot devs before you.

No, we dont need more content, we need the current content working.

No, we dont need buffing the zerg conpanys. We need buffing the solos and small groups, who are the majority of the players. You could start by removing the claim towers, which finally have driven me and all of my friends from the game.

Please remove the fountain of youth, as it is no fun. Remove the Kraken quest to unlock game content like subs and torpedos. Remove the max level penalty for players not willing (or not able due to company size) to travel and do the stones quest.

Please strengthen defence and nerf offense. Just now it does not matter if you have 100 stone walls around your ships and treasure or not.

If you refuse to do this small companys will stay to be cannon fodder for the zergs, just like it is now.

No, we dont need modular ships. Modular ships have driven the creative players away from Atlas. Your plans for the future will, once again, strengthen the weaknesses of ATLAS and nerf its strong parts.

We dont need stupid zombie voodoo temples, we just need a pure working pirate game.

Of course you will not listen to me, as devs never do, i loved the original game, at the moment it is „way to much of nothing“.

I certainly will return if i see a perspective to survive in ATLAS in the patch notes, which is currently not the case at all.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Dev Crusher said:

RedBeard,

i am afraid that you are aiming in the wrong direction again, just like all of the other 5000 Grapeshot devs before you.

No, we dont need buffing the zerg conpanys. We need buffing the solos and small groups, who are the majority of the players. You could start by removing the claim towers, which finally have driven me and all of my friends from the game.

Please remove the fountain of youth, as it is no fun. Remove the Kraken quest to unlock game content like subs and torpedos. Remove the max level penalty for players not willing (or not able due to company size) to travel and do the stones quest.

Please strengthen defence and nerf offense. Just now it does not matter if you have 100 stone walls around your ships and treasure or not.

If you refuse to do this small companys will stay to be cannon fodder for the zergs, just like it is now.

No, we dont need modular ships. Modular ships have driven the creative players away from Atlas. Your plans for the future will, once again, strengthen the weaknesses of ATLAS and nerf its strong parts.

We dont need stupid zombie voodoo temples, we just need a pure working pirate game.

Of course you will not listen to me, as devs never do, i loved the original game, at the moment it is „way to much of nothing“.

I certainly will return if i see a perspective to survive in ATLAS in the patch notes, which is currently not the case at all.

The original was just as bad if not worse. Like I always said “they stopped making good ideas after they said let’s make a pirate game” after that is was all down hill.

in order to not cater to Megas they have to get rid of the sandbox. Factions is the literal only way to do that. So if you don’t agree with factions then you deserve to get wiped by Megas. No discussions about it.

you have to remember this wasn’t an awesome game even on release. It was a good idea, but never an awesome game.

there is a reason it is on steams bottom 100 list called the hall of shame.

• Like 1

i aggree with the claim towers on pvp, maybe a structure buff would help, so all structures in the claim radius take 90% less damage (yes you could wrap in your claim tower then)

a claim tower that can be destroyed is funny aswell because why claim at all right because of the decay only?...

or remove claim towers for pvp and give default decay rates back.

and with creative players you mean that players are able to build anything stupid on a ship that gives you an advantage.

some people got an advantage of building light ships so only hull wheel and catapult.

some build oneshot ships or turtle ships and so on

modular ships solve this problem

and dont forget the cata barrel meta for almost forever (a few seasons), this killed the game imo

18 hours ago, photek said:

i aggree with the claim towers on pvp, maybe a structure buff would help, so all structures in the claim radius take 90% less damage (yes you could wrap in your claim tower then)

a claim tower that can be destroyed is funny aswell because why claim at all right because of the decay only?...

and with creative players you mean that players are able to build anything stupid on a ship that gives you an advantage.

some people got an advantage of building light ships so only hull wheel and catapult.

and dont forget the cata barrel meta for almost forever (a few seasons), this killed the game imo

No, a lot of other things killed the game lol like Megas number 1, the gold costs for ships, and then wipes. Many different type of players came to play and not just try hard white knights.

• Like 2

Ok, you seem not to have understood what is wrong with the game, even in the latest Redbeard Patch from tomorrow. So i explain it in very easy words :

a) player is building ships, bases and shipyards over several month

b) naked Beach Bob troll with a claim tower is passing by while the player sleeps/works

c) game over

Anything about that somehow is not fully clear and obvious to anybody ?

P.S. If you suggest that working/real life sucks : I agree

Edited by Dev Crusher
  • Like 3

This is my main gripe with this game - you have to have no life and play it daily to survive.  This promotes unhealthy gaming which is unethical IMO.  Having to log each day even in PVE to feed tames and crew is insane.  They should only consume food while you’re online and able to do something about it.

Alienating less hard-core players is a huge mistake and is going to kill your numbers.

Edited by Gorelander
  • Like 1

On 12/14/2021 at 11:05 AM, photek said:

1. The towers need to give some protection to your buildings besides decay time and stealing protection by over claiming. I would suggest an offline protection like claimable islands where you can choose a Peace Time for your claim... but this has some other issues as well. So you Idea of at least improved building durability in the claim area is good. But amount of Claimtowers should be reduced. PvE needs maybe different balance in this point. Devs will not remove the Claim Towers.... that's pretty sure.

2. creative Players have(had) the option to build their perfect ship for special purposes(of course to gain an advantage with knowledge). Some needed tricks like placing structures before the hull to make your harbor run shielded design. But this is great content and freedom for players. WIth the modular ships this will be taken away and that's a bad idea. To balance "broken" builds i suggest to reduce the BP overall buff. Cannons max 200%, planks max 200% damage/HP buff.

3. Modular ships do not solve this problem, they make ship building just boring. You don't need creativity anymore. You don't need knowledge... you can ignore ship weight etc. They may improve the performance due to less structures... but well....

4. barrels need to be removed from the ship combat(catapult)... it should be only allowed to drop them maunally off a ship as sea mines if you get chased. Or to destroy under water FOBs of course. If they stay with catapults the damage needs to be changed. Less structure damage to hull and sails, but maybe with a lucky shot you can kill some crew on the ship. But than you have the Issue with NPC weight and the ways you can put more barrels into the NPC manning the catapult. Also catapult reload could be changed to 1 minute... so you need to aim your shots very carefully at least.

On 12/14/2021 at 3:28 AM, Dev Crusher said:

RedBeard,

i have to admit that i was misslead by your name and your first statement, i tought you would be one of those guys with huge ego that talk from their asses, but no, i agree with you, the claim system bullshit and the mega companies were a big factor in the failure of the game in pvp, an absolutely absurd decision from the last dev team i must say.

also yes, un-gate all content the game has to offer, its incredibly stupid to try to force people into doing groupal content when they dont want to, imagine trying to start a relationship by forcing someone to like you when they dont, not a good idea right? also last time i played the insane ammount of discovery points given by doing those activities was absurdly high.

once again, yes, the ship free design was the way to go, i have no idea why they changed it but it was a terrible decision.

i havent played in more than a year but i still remember being traumatized by trying to go back to my base and then the game suddenly deciding to change the wind direction to 100% opposite to my moving direction, or how little gold you could get from killing ships of the dawn, or how your stuff would get deleted if you didnt log in in a while, its incredible how short sighted the developers have been with this game.

Edited by The D Legacy

On 12/16/2021 at 9:15 AM, The D Legacy said:

i have to admit that i was misslead by your name and your first statement, i tought you would be one of those guys with huge ego that talk from their asses, but no, i agree with you, the claim system bullshit and the mega companies were a big factor in the failure of the game in pvp, an absolutely absurd decision from the last dev team i must say.

I agree.  It appeared at one time (or still does) that the devs were/ are trying to create a game that resembled the board game Risk - a game of land conquest.  They would showcase the top land dominating companies on the website.  This is great for hard-core players (well not great b/c it forces them into a huge time commitment), but not so great for casual players or players that can't afford that time commitment.  If you consider the plausibility that there are more casual, non-hard-core players with lives outside this game, you're alienating a huge amount of potential players and buyers as well. 

I think most players are primarily looking for a pirate game of adventure, not a game of land conquest and domination.

Edited by Gorelander
  • Like 1

On 12/18/2021 at 11:35 PM, Gorelander said:

I agree.  It appeared at one time (or still does) that the devs were/ are trying to create a game that resembled the board game Risk - a game of land conquest.  They would showcase the top land dominating companies on the website.  This is great for hard-core players (well not great b/c it forces them into a huge time commitment), but not so create for casual players or players that can't afford that time commitment.  If you consider the plausibility that there are more casual, non-hard-core players with lives outside this game, you're alienating a huge amount of potential players and buyers as well. 

I think most players are primarily looking for a pirate game of adventure, not a game of land conquest and domination.

exactly, if the gaming industry has taught us something is that "hardcore players" are hardcore for as long as they win, the moment they lose several times in a row they just call the game shit and move on while the pve community is WAY more stable as a playerbase.

Edited by The D Legacy

On 12/16/2021 at 2:48 AM, Nacona said:

3. Modular ships do not solve this problem, they make ship building just boring. You don't need creativity anymore. You don't need knowledge... you can ignore ship weight etc. They may improve the performance due to less structures... but well....

One of the things I like to do in this game is build on ships.  Maybe some players aren't into that so give them the modular ship option.  The modular ships should cost gold as they're pre-made.  Non pre-made ships should be cheaper or not cost gold.

I will admit due to the fact that I'm somewhat pedantic, that some custom ship builds aren't very realistic.  A good example is that ship that has a massive array of cannons on the stern.  One idea to combat this is to have a weight distribution mechanic.  If you mass too much weight on one side it could cause the ship to tilt and have a reduced maximum speed, or affect its turning ability somehow.

However this is a mechanic that given the games development to date, is probably too complicated.

• Like 2

It is simply not playable with claim towers in effect for other players than jobless 24/7 Corona kids who are not receiving enough love from their parents.

Prior to claim towers the game was quite fun, the armored docks allowed to live on the ships.

Yes, these armored docks could be destroyed. But for single troll kids too much effort. These want everything very quick, quick, quick !

And started their cry-baby system on the devs till they received the claim towers for maximum everything-in-30-minutes trolling.

After alpha release it was quite challenging to claim an area. If you wanted to fight someone you had to anti-claim.

Lots of efforts, took hours and days. Nothing for pew pew Call-of-Duty milliennial cry babys.

So playing not in a huge mega company is completely pointless at the moment.

Also the modular ships are trash. i am creative, i want to try concepts and build how i want.

I am afraid, ATLAS will not find back onto the path of a shining fun game.

Edited by Dev Crusher
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Dev Crusher said:

It is simply not playable with claim towers in effect for other players than jobless 24/7 Corona kids who are not receiving enough love from their parents.

Prior to claim towers the game was quite fun, the armored docks allowed to live on the ships.

Yes, these armored docks could be destroyed. But for single troll kids too much effort. These want everything very quick, quick, quick !

And started their cry-baby system on the devs till they received the claim towers for maximum everything-in-30-minutes trolling.

After alpha release it was quite challenging to claim an area. If you wanted to fight someone you had to anti-claim.

Lots of efforts, took hours and days. Nothing for pew pew Call-of-Duty milliennial cry babys.

So playing not in a huge mega company is completely pointless at the moment.

Also the modular ships are trash. i am creative, i want to try concepts and build how i want.

I am afraid, ATLAS will not find back onto the path of a shining fun game.

indeed, i miss my 12 cannons per side brigg, it was nice to play it and fun too, i would rly like to know what makes developers kill fun features like that