Sign in to follow this  
ATLAS

RedBeard's Journal #3: Portal to the Unknown

The trip to Nozetal had been a bittersweet one. While the salty ocean winds had breathed life into these old sea bones, the lingering memories of my time in La Noferia left me on edge. I had narrowly evaded certain death and although we were now miles away, the danger remained as present as the tattered journal close to my chest. 

Landfall could not come soon enough, the crew were on their final leg before their for home voyage and a detour for a strange passenger with mysterious intentions did not help ease their growing restlessness. I had kept to myself in my quarters and on landing, I quickly disembarked, narrowly avoiding an escalating confrontation about a missing pinnace that had mysteriously disappeared overnight. 

While a large town with folk of all manners, I could not help but feel the eyes of the townsfolk had pegged me as someone different. My apparel was nothing remarkable but it seems my inquiries about my pending guide had made me a person of interest. When I finally entered the local alehouse, it seemed word had spread quickly, because with each step towards the bar, I drew more and more attention from the local patrons. As I approached the bar, I met eyes with the barkeep and he gestured, as if he knew everything already, with a tilt of his head to a briny old man with a battered cocked hat and disheveled blue jacket. The stench of sea and spirits grew stronger as I walked over, a familiar aura put off by those devoted to the sail and by the smell, he was the most devout I had ever encountered. 

"Captain?", I inquired. The word was clear as a bell as the room had fallen silent, all ears had perked for any tidbit of our conversation. However, the man remained unresponsive, still hunched over the bar. As I cleared my throat to repeat my query, the Captain turned, leapt off his stool and grabbed me by my head, hands on either side. He now towered over me, much larger than I perceived in his former slouched state, with his giant hands palming my head. Stunned, I closed my eyes expecting him to crush my skull with the slightest muscle twitch.    

"Nephew!", he exclaimed as he glanced over me, "Aren't you just the spittin' image of your mother, God rest her soul!" And before I could respond to the misunderstanding, he wrapped his massive arms around me and clutched my head straight into his chest. "Do you have the money, lad?" he whispered so only I could hear. "Ye.. yes." I coughed still fazed by the sudden display of affection and new proximity to the source of the seaman's stench.

"Barkeep, a round on me. A celebration for the reunion of me and me sis's son!" The still air was broken with the news of good fortune and with a collective cheer, the familiar bar sounds returned. "Pay the man and meet me at the docks, less prying ears out on the sea." With that he released me and I stumbled gasping for a clean breath of air. Recovered but still shaken by the grand charade that just took place, I took a stool next to his to fake familiarities until it was time to leave. The captain "retired" for the night shortly after and I was soon to follow, much lighter on coin than I had entered.

I met the Captain again on his vessel, a small cog, meant for a light crew. As requested, we set off with just us two to man the cog, in an effort to keep our journey discrete. Unlike the actor in the alehouse, the Captain was a quiet man. Apparently, his willingness for the absurd and the rewards that followed had gained him much unwanted notoriety and many adversaries to boot. He often departed for journeys quickly in the night, in hopes to keep his pursuers off guard. And so that night, we set sail for Walfield Atol, a close but treacherous and relatively uncharted area known for its mysterious weather conditions and strange disappearances of many a crew. 

It had been a few days before we drew close to our final destination. Unfortunately, we were not alone. Another small ship had been following our vessel since our departure and keeping its distance throughout the journey. However, the Captain was not fazed, believing we'd lose them once we arrived at Walfield Atol. "Only the king of fools is dense enough to take a cog through Walfield, and you're in the presence of royalty," he would reply with a laugh to my concerns. And as we sailed closer black clouds could not only be seen in our direction but also seeming closing in on us at our wake. 

Between shifts at the helm, I had started deciphering another page in the journal and now finished, I thought I had gone wrong, for the translation depicted something truly unbelievable. To reassure myself, I reread the page aloud, hoping to discover any mistakes that could affirm my doubts and put me at ease. 

A burning disk, floating on the turbulent surface of the ocean. A rumor that almost rivaled the discovery of real Wonders and Monuments in the world has reached me. I set sail to the rumored location of one of these disks, near the Walfield Atol. I have a feeling that this might be related to the temple that I found on that island. 

Atlas Screenshot 2021.10.14 - 16.00.03.35.jpg

I arrive at the island and look west, in the direction of the rumored disk. I can’t see anything, but it’s mid-afternoon so I decide to wait until morning to set sail again thinking this rumor was a tale to mislead youthful pathfinders. As it gets darker I head back up to the deck of my Sloop to make sure no pirates have found me. The island is silent, and I see no lights. I look over to the West and pause. What is that blueish light? It's near the horizon, and far too bright to be a star. Raising anchor I set sail towards the blue light with the wind at my back. 

Atlas Screenshot 2021.10.14 - 15.52.10.38.png

The rumors were true. I arrive in the middle of nowhere to a...disk shaped structure that is aflame with bright blue-white fire? It looks like lightning made fluid. I look over the side of my Sloop down at the surface of the water and panic. I’m caught in a maelstrom, and am being dragged into the ring.  There is barely enough time to run to the captain's wheel, before my Sloops bow enters the burning ring's light. My skin begins to tingle and all my hair stands up. My vision fades to a blinding bright white. 

Atlas Screenshot 2021.10.14 - 15.50.34.87.jpg

After a few moments my vision returns to normal and I find myself sailing away from the disk. I open my compass to set sail back to port, but I’m sailing the wrong direction. The wind is still at my back, but now I’m sailing East? I pull out my sextant to confirm...and I’m no longer at the same part of the ocean as I was a few moments ago. I’m on the other side of the  world! I get my bearings and set sail to the nearest freeport.

Foolishness, I thought to myself. Discs, like portals, to another location? Impossible. As I finished, I heard the Captain call to me muffled by the crashing waves from an impending storm. The deck had become slick with rain and as I stumbled to the helm, I could only suspect that what he had for me was not going to be pleasant news. 

"If you're going to tell me about the storm I've noticed!" I yelled over the crashing waves.

"They're damned fools too! Look!" he replied pointing to the stern with one hand with the other struggling to steady the wheel. As I looked to our rear, I was greeted by a haunting sight. Only about 200 yards away, our pursuers had drawn close and were nearly at our heels. To my horror, piloting the pursuing vessel were three figures in black cloaks. Instantly, my heart sank and I buckled, nearly losing grip of the railing.

"They'll be on us soon enough, but I'd gladly give them my title if they tried to board us in this storm!" The captain boasted as the waves continued to toss our ship. I gathered myself and peered to the rain at the chasing ship, hoping the waves would take them instead. As they bobbed in the sea, two of the figures had made their way to the front of the ship, each holding out something, as if making an offering to the sea. In my astonishment, a small flash came from each of their hands and suddenly, the objects they held were no more. I had not a moment to comprehend the small ritual that had taken place before a giant flash of light illuminated the sky behind me.

I turned to see a giant red disc had taken shape over the water a few hundred yards in front of us. Is this the disc the journal spoke of? Bewildered, I vaguely recall the Captain frantically screaming profanities as he tried to regain control of our vessel to no avail. Our ship began to pick up speed, pulled toward the disc by some unseen force. It was only a short time before our vessel made contact with the anomaly, slowly engulfing each part as it helplessly sailed through. And as the disc finally swept over me, I clutched the journal that led me here and prayed its words were true.  

:anchor: Final Note :anchor:

Again, we would like to emphasize that ATLAS is still in Early Access, meaning many things can and will likely continue to drastically change - even in the middle of development. Anything discussed is only up to date as of the moment it is posted. Features and changes that ultimately make it to the next patch, as well as timing, may be different from what was previously discussed. 
As always, we appreciate the suggestions and feedback from the community. Please keep them coming! Thank you for all of your support! 🙂

fl_ZgyH5wE30VU-U10VxmagA8KjI-zUAmPmJ6zf3

Happy Sailing,

- ATLAS Crew

:skull: For the latest dispatch on #playATLAS keep yer one good eye trained on this here information :skull:

Natter n' chatter on Discord: https://discord.gg/playatlas

Hear ye, hear ye on Twitter: https://twitter.com/sailtheatlas

Watch us scallywags on Twitch: http://twitch.tv/sailtheatlas

Plus ye can band with us Pirates on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/playatlasgame

View full article

Perhaps some of that energy should be used to make the game playable by all. BALANCE! Land and sea. Fix turrets and shorten cannon range! That would be a step in the right direction!

1 hour ago, monkguru said:

Perhaps some of that energy should be used to make the game playable by all. BALANCE! Land and sea. Fix turrets and shorten cannon range! That would be a step in the right direction!

Dude! These guys have zero idea of balance 😞

SO, yeah, I agree that they should be putting some energy into FIXING THE BLOODY GAME !

Edited by Nutty Grandad

So... we are approaching new map with different biomes, accessible via portals? We definitely need to go beta for couple of days at least!!! : ))

So this must be  more pve stuff and how many pve servers are the. Oh yea 1 that's  going to be a hot mess. A lot of thought went into this new edition of the game. You know I'm still lost you went from making ships for to add in this junk are we focusing on PVE or PVP or you guys just that dumb to not know which way you want to go

The seas were the best part of this game and you seem to be stuffing it full of crap. Cartoon blue stripes, visually horrible disks... Why!?....why?.......... 😞

Oh man, we need to keep a tally on how many characters and ships are lost to the broken portals.

let me guess, the ships gets transported to mountain tops and characters get transported to the middle of the ocean. You know give people that nostalgic feel from the release of the game lmao.

On 10/23/2021 at 6:13 AM, George Catcher said:

So... we are approaching new map with different biomes, accessible via portals? We definitely need to go beta for couple of days at least!!! : ))

The portals only transfer you to the middle of the ocean once your ship disappears lmao

Only because I never got a response on my support tickets, I am really hoping this update fixing my issue on Xbox X where my single player save file will not load. If I delete and start fresh it works. The minute I log off and go to log back in it never loads.

So... all happening tomorrow and we don't have any beta or any info. If there is new map, does this mean that DEVs wanna us explore new map ourselves???

I mean it's cool, but... when last map was introduced, alot of ppl settled around freeports as they usually do, and then found that the idea was to go far and settle near valuable resources spots... when that revealed - all spots were already taken : ))

Hmm.

Well I guess the intent was never to be or rather give the atmosphere,  of 17th? 18th century piracy land fun time? which I was hoping for. period accurate not fantasy mix mash period.

I love this game I really do. I know how hard it is to make a game, and on top of that to advertise, get your game out there and most of all try to please all and make the fanbase player base happy. What I really loved about this game is the pvp and pve its fine. sure bugs but its great. building things ships look great. 

BUT:

please I do not understand maybe you all can help me maybe its my ignorance I am sorry but We the players have great ships look period? accurate. then we have the SOTD... neon bone like speedboats? When I see them feels like I'm  about to see like party people and airhorns and rum ham........

Why not make the enemy npc like real ships that the players use? and boarding npc ships?

And now on to the foot soldiers of the damned?? They look at least to me, Alien exoskeleton glowing? skeleton pirate monsters?

Why cant they be like us the players like people? maybe make gangs/groups of npc pirate company/hordes/gangs? That sail the seas?

Like in some ways the single player mode npc pirates?

Lastly, I know people will stone me because its not an mmorpg.......

Could we have like a  a few grids that are both pvp and pve and all players can attack npc lands, they too could have timers? make it hard. make it worth the raid. other companies could cross fire backstab during raid would be chaos... but glorious pvp :) 

Secondly  along that grid or in it a huge island a main town of sorts full of npc/player shops. taverns, basically a place to congregate and show off :) (see below)

oh and of course  it would be lovely to have so be it cosmetic only gear to wear outfits, hats.... the period of flintlock had beautiful attire for gentlemen and ladies. 

So on that big "Town Island" all players could meet up , maybe an area where all can gather and watch a pvp duel with flintlock/swords? or pve duel? or both!

I feel this town would attract more players, maybe in my mind only maybe not. just my opinion.  I could be totally wrong it could be a bad idea who knows..

Have taverns drunk drinking games, you guys like to implement eye twitching fast click the mouse button mini games? so why not something like where all players can meet up and play a mini game?

I dont know. Meh forget the whole thing.

2 hours ago, Dr. Waffles Fishbuckle said:

Hmm.

Well I guess the intent was never to be or rather give the atmosphere,  of 17th? 18th century piracy land fun time? which I was hoping for. period accurate not fantasy mix mash period.

I love this game I really do. I know how hard it is to make a game, and on top of that to advertise, get your game out there and most of all try to please all and make the fanbase player base happy. What I really loved about this game is the pvp and pve its fine. sure bugs but its great. building things ships look great. 

BUT:

please I do not understand maybe you all can help me maybe its my ignorance I am sorry but We the players have great ships look period? accurate. then we have the SOTD... neon bone like speedboats? When I see them feels like I'm  about to see like party people and airhorns and rum ham........

Why not make the enemy npc like real ships that the players use? and boarding npc ships?

And now on to the foot soldiers of the damned?? They look at least to me, Alien exoskeleton glowing? skeleton pirate monsters?

Why cant they be like us the players like people? maybe make gangs/groups of npc pirate company/hordes/gangs? That sail the seas?

Like in some ways the single player mode npc pirates?

Lastly, I know people will stone me because its not an mmorpg.......

Could we have like a  a few grids that are both pvp and pve and all players can attack npc lands, they too could have timers? make it hard. make it worth the raid. other companies could cross fire backstab during raid would be chaos... but glorious pvp 🙂

Secondly  along that grid or in it a huge island a main town of sorts full of npc/player shops. taverns, basically a place to congregate and show off 🙂 (see below)

oh and of course  it would be lovely to have so be it cosmetic only gear to wear outfits, hats.... the period of flintlock had beautiful attire for gentlemen and ladies. 

So on that big "Town Island" all players could meet up , maybe an area where all can gather and watch a pvp duel with flintlock/swords? or pve duel? or both!

I feel this town would attract more players, maybe in my mind only maybe not. just my opinion.  I could be totally wrong it could be a bad idea who knows..

Have taverns drunk drinking games, you guys like to implement eye twitching fast click the mouse button mini games? so why not something like where all players can meet up and play a mini game?

I dont know. Meh forget the whole thing.

Yeah, everything you said just fell on deaf ears so your last sentence was correct. Just forget the whole thing lol

good ideas, but you wasted your breath.

3 hours ago, George Catcher said:

So... all happening tomorrow and we don't have any beta or any info. If there is new map, does this mean that DEVs wanna us explore new map ourselves???

I mean it's cool, but... when last map was introduced, alot of ppl settled around freeports as they usually do, and then found that the idea was to go far and settle near valuable resources spots... when that revealed - all spots were already taken : ))

Got a feeling the portals aren’t going to work. Lots of characters and ships will be lost