Sign in to follow this  
George Catcher

My first impression of Mortar Ship.

Other threads:

Ramming Galley.

Majestic Kraken.

8x8LiOB.jpg

My first impression was: ahahahaha... I mean it looks like some structures on kids playground.

QzOHEfX.png

But anyway. Let's get serious now.

8x8LiOB.jpg

Mortar Ship.

I actually liked this one most of all 3 ships. At least in terms of green SOTD fighting. I survived all battles and this is the first modular ship that I brought home after naval mission and level it to 20. But If you want me to describe it with few words. It's small. Slow. Raw design. And with mortar cosmetic.

+++

Good handling full speed.

Compact cannons. Manual aim never been better.

Front Castle has perfect room for all your boxes, beds etc.

Steering wheel under the roof. It gives you protection from tornadoes.

---

- It small and looks a bit funny.

- Raw design (missing paint parts, small ladder hole, no snap points for extra ladders etc, typical for modular ships in current state).

- Broken hitbox which is a lot wider than visual model. The ship can't handle shallow waters.

- It slow (fastest sail setup gives you just 10 knots).

- POV made wrong. Large sail blocks up to 1/3 of you view field. Manual aiming hide your ship behind screen border.

- Crew doesn't follow you to 2nd decks and castles roofs.

- You can't replace cannons. New one will be pointing forward and be unusable.

- Mortars are broken. Crew manned them doesn't shoot or reload mortar. Mortars basically for manual use only.

8x8LiOB.jpg

Basic Stats.

It has same 9000 weight as schooner.

It has 8 (125%) cannons in low decks gunports and you can increase this amount to 16 by adding 4 cannons railings.

It has 2 mortars atop of front and back castles (pointed forward and back)

It has 3.0 points for sails and with large speedsails runs 10 knots.

It has 16 crew capacity. With 8 cannons 2 mortars and 2 sails by default - it can handle all of basic crew needs. But if you add 8 more cannons there are 5 points for crew to spend.

It has average handling with no speed (360 degree turnaround for 6 minutes that's 3.5 faster than Kraken). With full 12 knots handling is perfect!!! It turns fast and you can dance with damned ships as you like. With compact cannons placement, manual aiming never been better!

With 12 cannons and 300 cannonballs I've got all weight bellow 30%. 

The ship also has just PERFECT front castle room for all your boxes, grille etc.

8x8LiOB.jpg

Sails (updated).

Default ship has 1 middle and 1 small speedsails placed close to each other. It gives you just 7.5 knots empty ship. So your only option here is to replace this setup with 1 single large sail, that gives you 10 knots.

8x8LiOB.jpg

Paint

Is traditionally raw. Alot of unpaintable parts in front/rear castles. Also deck atop of front castle is paintable, and desk atop of rear castle is not and follows 2nd region.

wn02QVk.jpg

Oh and... yeah, I've been expected this one:

oZE0xCw.jpg

8x8LiOB.jpg

Raw design.

Hitbox is WAY bigger than visual model:

KHfA7W5.jpg

QZ0gKhj.jpg

cx4iQit.jpg

Also this ship can't handle shallow waters. Brig can approach closer to the shore than Mortar Ship.

Also I can't replace my 125% gunports cannons and 100% deck cannons with better ones. New ones are placed pointing forward and not useable from this position.

qcuTOxu.jpg

We still have only emergency ladder to climb and can't place ladders to large sails crow nests due to object limitation (c'mon devs. There are 17 rope ladders needed for each large speed sail).

CsJPZlz.jpg

8x8LiOB.jpg

Fun part.

k11agCy.jpg

Also your steering wheel right inside rear castle. It's a bit troublesome when you need to run somewhere and you must climb there to get to the wheel back. That's might be critical in battle conditions.

Also with some tilt angle game shows that you inside the house (with building icon on the right). It might confuse you during the rain. While ship is pitching, game constantly changes your state from inside to outside and back. And rain sometimes just disappears and then appears back. But there is a good news here. Tornadoes doesn't land any damage to you.

egwLI9m.jpg

Oh and you can jump out of side windows by jumping then crouching through.

8x8LiOB.jpg

POV.

You point of view is awful. During regular travels most of sail just blocking third of your field of view. It's difficult to check if someone (or something) ahead.

fDLB04A.jpg

While you manually aiming - your ship is hidden behind screen border and you don't see where you sailing. Which might be critical during the battle.

stANMIf.jpg

8x8LiOB.jpg

Maintenance.

It's not just about Mortar Ship, but also about other modular ships. I just found that bonus repair skill increases patches efficiency. With 3 skills taken each patch heals for 1600hp. But "amount of patches needed" anyway shows how many patches you need with no skills and 1000hp healing from each patch:

y85UGAU.jpg

Mortars.

Bad news here. Mortars of Mortar Ship just doesn't work with crew.

We have 2 mortars here. Front atop of front castle. Rear atop of rear castle. So.

- Rear castle mortar just doesn't belongs any groups of ship. And there is no option in to any menu to attach this mortar to any groups. So if you put there a crew, you won't have any button to make it shoot.

QESbN9D.jpg

Front mortar belongs to front group. But I couldn't make my crew to do a single shot. He even don't reload his gun. I've tried:

- To put mortar ammo to ammo box or in crew pocket.

- To set all kind of targets and distances.

- To manually reload mortar.

- To use manual (trajectory didn't appear) or automatic aim.

My crew just refuse to shoot damned ships. So I guess right now we've got 2 options here. 

1) - To play with our friends.

2) - To make kiting tactics. Just point your ship somewhere with 4.5 knots speed uncontrolled, then man mortar yourself and then shoot damned ship following you. The damage mortar lands is pretty good. I hit damned schooner for 18 000 damage with single shot!

(I'll continue testing it later, so stay tuned).

Edited by George Catcher
  • Like 1

I wanna add one issue I noticed when 1st Ramming Galley appeared. But with current Mortar Ship, that survived 10 times more battles it caught my eyes most.

This one will be without a picture.

Sinking time of modular ships is NOT STABLE. I don't fully understand how does it work, but it seems to me, it all depends on this small ship HP icon at bottom right. For example.

You've got your overall ship more than 90% hp. You've got your rear castle leaking. Your ship will sink in like 30 seconds.

You've got your overall ship around 70% hp. You've got the same rear castle leaking. Your ship will sink in like 5 seconds.

If it really working this way - it made terribly wrong. Because in this situation we'll have to waste alot of patches for like 200hp repairs (making modular ships even more expensive), and it making this ship more vulnerable every cannonball it receive.  

In terms of damned ships fighting, all modular ships are extremely weak, and most of all - they can not TANK. When you playing with your friends, mortar ship might be good SotDs destroyer. Just kite them and let your friend do all mortar works. But if you wanna play cool fun boardside battle, then BRIG is still your only choice.

Edited by George Catcher

Alright. Little update of this Mortar Ship.

Speed.

With current patch and got sail point to just 3 - ship became extremely slow. Default setup brings you just 7.5 knots full speed, so our only option here now is to place a single large sail, to up it to at least 10 knots. Which is SLOWER than sloop. So right now mortar ship is the slowest ship in the game.

Rowing.

You can create oar modules and replace gunports with them.

c38IynL.jpg

They are not paintable, and I didn't find a way to bring gunports back. I've tried to demolish them, but this button does nothing but making disappear itself. 

FMsQ5WX.jpg

p0WumeQ.jpg

Placing them from one side is bad idea, because when you try to row - I'll brings only 1 knot extra and make your ship turn every row it make. While all 4 oar modules brings you 2.5 extra knots while active (same action with Ramming Galley brings 4.5 extra knots).

More RAW stuff.

DEVs forgot to add name plate. So letters just float in the air.

lw9J1Mb.jpg

Steering wheel is also floating. And tall guy is too tall for this sh*t : )))

NHkI5Ek.jpg

Oh and check this damage graphic from inside of rear castle : ))

8fR0cne.jpg

BQ3Xex2.jpg

So instead of making some debris, create holes etc., enemy's cannonballs just undo the window and setup wood beam. 😆