Sign in to follow this  
George Catcher

My First Impression of Majestic Kraken

Other threads:

Ramming Galley.

Mortar Ship.

Fs8XEXq.jpg

So. With great help of @Kummba I bought this brand new Majestic Kraken and... well I wanna speak with DEVs. But before that I just wanna say to all other players reading this message. DO NOT BUY MAJESTIC KRAKEN if you plan to do some seas battles. I'm sorry to say that, but right now it's not suitable for naval battles.

Fs8XEXq.jpg

Now DEVs. Guys. Seriously. This is not gonna work. If you want to expand this modular ship concept, you should make these ships attractive and desirable for players. In this state the ships are right now - they are not! It's like players put hell lot of efforts and get some unplayable raw jest, which brings just doubts, question, and in some case disappointment. 

+++

+ It looks really epic!

+ It rare. You'll get players attention from all around.

- - -

- Raw design. Very tight especially around ladders to 2nd and 3rd deck. Only emergency stern ladder to climb and sometimes tentacle-cosmetic just push you back to the ocean.

- You can add there just 8 custom objects.

- Handling is average. It's ok full speed and completely horrible while you stay. Totally not enough for boardside battle.

- It has lack of payload. Equipped for battle it'll have more than 50% total weight. With opened 24 gunports the weight rises for more than 67%.

- It has average speed, but in battle conditions (equipped for battle) it's slower than sloop.

- Extremely expensive in maintenance. 200 patches requires more resources than it need for full Brig creation.

- Player's POV is too close to the ship. Sails blocking most of the field of view.

- Can't manually aim and shoot. Just automatic shooting.

- Broken gunports hit area. Single volley of low level damned galleon takes out ALL gunports.

- Broken sinking time. With 140% sturdiness and all skills increasing sinking time - ship sink it like 3 seconds (which making it not suitable for the battle).

Broken:

* Crew leaving sail's stations every time ship cross the border.

* If you try to replace cannons in gunports, new ones will be placed pointing forward.

Fs8XEXq.jpg

Getting the ship.

This time I've tried to sail to the shop with weight sail Sloop. Didn't work for me at all! With strongest rainy storm downwind it runs just 7 knots. I experienced upwind - and most of my time I sailed 3 knots. It's... well... eh... I mean, I hit freeport and then went for a walk with my corgi dog. After we back I was still on my way to grid center. So... non of any sails works. Best choice so far is mid speed sail. 

Also 22K gold. Devs do you realize how do player carry that many hah? For example my pathfinder can pick from the chest just 13K. If I wanna pick more I need to drop some gold to the ground then pick some from the box, then pick all I dropped from the ground. Now imagine I came to the shop, drop some golds to the ground and some troll-player appeared and while I was picking gold from my chest - he just steal my gold I dropped to the ground???

Seriously. Reduce goldweight a hundred times. Make it attached to player as it is in all other MMOs. It's just no point to make it as it is now.

LBBguj3.jpg

Fs8XEXq.jpg

Raw design.

First impression - those holes leads to 2nd and 3rd deck made totally wrong. I mean it's OK for a dwarf, but I play mid-sized pathfinder (around 60% tall) and to get to 2nd and 3rd deck I need to crouch. If pathfinder will be 100% tall he just wont make it. Imagine, I need to do emergency maintenance during the battle and... I stuck in the ladders. You allways do ladders through 2 block holes!!! 

mlpuzDD.jpg

Some textures were also broken. I guess this one is somehow connected to ship damage and just showing wrong textures set... this is the rear castle.

XGhn9VP.jpg

Snap point for ladders would be great at boardside between gunports. And it's not just about every1 hates this emergency stern ladder. Majestic Kraken have those tentacles cosmetic and sometimes tentacles on stern just push you back to the ocean. It also might be critical in some cases. You need to climb onboard fast and tentacles pushing you back from the only ladder.

CK2njnd.jpg

Paint is fine, but front and back castle doesn't follow other parts regions. For example. You can paint railings to red and body to black. But front castle allows you to paint either body and railing to red, or both body and railing to black. Same within rear castle.

ei8yQuF.jpg

lI1u5rg.jpg

Something strange with name of the parts. Like I have:

- Rear castle with 15K hp.

- Rear mid below which is undestroyable.

- Another Rear mid below Rear mid with 10K hp. 

3teWeGy.jpg

Oh, and if I look at ladders, it shows: "Hold E for additional options". I'm holding and nothing happens.

Fs8XEXq.jpg

Bad news.

You can put on this ship just 8 objects. JUST EIGHT. So you can't put there all. Like in Brig I put there several boxes (to make all in order), all for food, cooking and storage, couple of beds, smithy and mortair-pestle for ammunition resupply, all those resources, munntion boxes. 5 wallhooks with lanterns. etc. Well. Not anymore. Just 8 objects through whole ship. Choose wisely.

TurhK0v.jpg

Fs8XEXq.jpg

Crew issue.

Yeah this ship CAN NOT handle all required crew by default. So if you wanna put 24 crew to cannons, 2 crew to sails and drive the ship yourself you need to raise crew capacity from 22 to 27, meaning, you need to spend 5 points for that.

pnQ0nRe.jpg

And you do know that all default ships are capable to carry all their basic needs.

Sloop has 3 crew - 2 for sails and 1 for player.

Schooner has 14 crew - 10 for cannons, 2 for sails, 1 for player and 1 for extra... for a friend or tame for example.

Brig has 16 crew - 12 for cannons, 3 for sails, 1 for player and 1 for extra.

Galleon has 59 crew - 52 - for cannons, 6 for sails, 1 for player.

Fs8XEXq.jpg

Sailing. Yet another bad news.

Crew still leaving sails station after each border cross.

This ship turns way slower than Ramming Galley.

In fact. With full speed it turns more like schooner. So boardside fight with damned ships is questionable. Of course I'll try this later, and write my impressions.

As for turning around with no speed...

well...

errr...

It's slow.

I mean it's S-L-O-W. It slower than Galleon. I just wanna say that it makes 360 degree turnaround in (you wait for it).... in approx 21 minutes. So when you visit tundra freeport with cliffs lagoon, you make sure you parked your ship right. Or you will do 180-turn departure within 11 minutes, just sittin and holding A (or D) key.

I'll continue this thread later, so stay tuned. More screenshots and impressions to come.

Edited by George Catcher
  • Thanks 2

Alright let me tell you why this ship will NEVER be used in PVP.

Because of speed and payload issues.

Fs8XEXq.jpg

I'll bring some numbers here, so check it out.

Majestic Kraken can carry 9000 pounds by default. It raised by 200 per level. Same as in Schooner.

Now. Let me count it how much weight I bring to my battle mission.

- 600 cannonballs are 2.1x600 = 1260

- 200 patches are 3.5x200 = 700

- 24 cannons with closed gunports are 40x24 = 960. With opened gunports = 100x24 = 2400.

- 2 sails are 100x2 = 200.

I dunno if crew weight something but with average 20 kg in their inventory:

- 26 crew x 20 = 520.

I count all other stuff I carry. Some repairment resources, boxes, food and water, set of plate armor for warm areas, extra sail and wheel etc. Let it be additional 1000 pounds.

Sum it.

With closed gunports 1260+700+960+200+520+1000 = 4640. This is more than 51% of total ship weight.

With opened gunports 1260+700+2400+200+520+1000 = 6080. This is more than 67% of total ship weight.

So your ship will be constantly heavy loaded and slow. C'mon devs have you ever heard of speed meta hah?

iKVDFAI.jpg

Now. If I wanna increase weight for better speed, and get it to less than 30% of payload then...

For closed gunports, it needs to be raised up to 15 600 pounds, meaning there are 33 points to spend.

For opened gunports, It needs to be raised up to 20 400 pounds, meaning there are 57 points to spend. With 5 for crew - we just don't have that many.

Anyway. It doesn't matter. Because as it turned out this ship is just not suitable for battle. See my next message.

Edited by George Catcher
  • Thanks 1

And the last message here.

Battle damned ships by Majestic Kraken.

Fs8XEXq.jpg

I'm sorry to say that. This ship is NOT SUITABLE FOR SEAS BATTLEs.

Now. 

- It has totally wrong player POV point. Just too close to the ship. Both large sails seriously blocking field of player's view. I wrote you this one before. You need to move POV to ship center and adjust distance. With this Majestic Kraken it was difficult to navigate ship through battle to attacking spot.

- Maneuverability is LOW. With lack of speed (due to heavy weight) it turns slow. So NO "dancing" with damned ships. Battle style here is more like Galleon style. You sail straight. Shoot. Sail away. Turn around. Repeat. Difference from Galleon - It just slower on straight, so you receive way more damage. And it turns a bit faster. It makes Rally totally useless. You fly-by to a single shot. 

- For some reason manual aiming and shooting doesn't work. When I hold my LMB cannons trajectory just doesn't appear (same as with frontal cannons of Ramming Galley). And shooting just doesn't happening. So "V" button for automated aiming and shooting is the only option. It makes Overdrive totally useless, because with sails blocking the sight you just never guess when your crew do their volley.

- Gunport's hit area coded totally wrong and broken. No matter where cursed cannonballs lands - all gunporte receive full hit and AOE damage. Meaning, even after short fight versus small green damned schooner, you'll get all 6 gunports damaged and you'll have to spend 6-15 patches for maintenance.

Fs8XEXq.jpg

How did I lost it.

I was dare to fight a single lvl-8 damned galleon. It turned out this Majestic ship cant't stand a single damned galleon volley, due to gunport hit area feature and broken sinking time.

I received a single volley from damned galleon and got all 6 my gunports gone. I received a message about "damaged planks". Then my ship sunk in just 3 seconds.

You read this right.

With 140 of sturdiness and all skills increasing sinking time all I had is just 3 seconds to get inside ship hold (through tiny ladders) and somehow raise 6 gunports from 0 to 1500 hp. I mean... even if I had 6 players with hammers and patches, and they stood right next to gunports and they started to repair them immediately after I was hit, they couldn't save it. They just couldn't have time for that. So...

Yeah. This Majestic Kraken mostly for battle small green schooners. Or lets say, to buy it, then park to the base harbor and don't ever touch it. It's just safer this way.

yMIYPEA.jpg

Well. I don't wanna throw epic words about piece of crap but... seriously. For example my Brig could handle couple of lvl-60 damned galley's volleys. I could dance my fight, manage damage and maintenance etc. Majestic Kraken received single volley from low green galleon and you dead. You won't even have a theoretical chance to save it. I wish dev's come here and told us what they made this ship for and how do the see it works.

But I guess, they can't say that. Because... they just never tested it, they don't know how it works and how it balanced, and they couldn't imagine it's gonna be this bad.

We here for that. We tested. It doesn't work. Your turn DEVs.

p.s. - This season I gave Ramming Galley 3 chances (killed 225 rhinos for that). With this Majestic Kraken I just don't wanna buy it again. Even tho I know @Kummba have another set of tentacles for me, and I do really appreciate it very much, thx, but... I don't see what else can I do for testing. 

It cant survive a single galleon's volley, and sinking in 3 seconds.

Edited by George Catcher
  • Thanks 1

Thanks alot for this report/review ❤️

This is what we got in one years work from the devs.
Something noone wants to speak about, bc it will hunt you in your dreams.
Let it go back to concept limbo, right next to the physical trade ships 😞

And guys this is the path to their vision of the game.

• Like 1

good review, i also made one last season and well, it was a seaweed farmer. but 1 thing i wanna point out. do not put points ever into sturdiness, only thing u want to put points in for defens is resistanse, and to even somewhow kill fleets of ghost ships u want 280-300% resistance. thats 3x time the hp then.and 20 points in weight and rest in damage, dont waste on crew points,  just have less cannons, and this ship cant be used before leveled, so best is to make a catapult railings and  go powerstone kill cyclops with boulders, then when its 45-50 u can start trying it out on ghost ships. 

And only large handling sails, prefer at leats 110%+ turning and 115% speed

Edited by hartsia
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Sturdiness can be useful in certain builds, example when making a harbor run boat and know u gonna loose it but u wanna stay in harbor blasting as much as possible, and then people have more time to bucket and bucket. might be a situation, never tried thou

• Like 1

do not put points ever into sturdiness, only thing u want to put points in for defens is resistanse, and to even somewhow kill fleets of ghost ships u want 280-300% resistance.

Well I do only boardside fights and my planks often get leaked and even gone. So I feel it usefull, because with 140% on sturdiness (10 points) BRIG sinking very-very slow. Sometimes I get 2 of my planks gone, and I finish damned ship first and then go for maintenance with hp of ship above 80%. 

I usually do that. 140% sturdiness, 260% - to resistance 4000 to weight and rest to damage. With good cannons (like my Star Butterfly had 180% damage cannons) I really don't feel I need that many in damage stat (in terms of damned fleet fight). I keep hearing that sturdiness don't worth it, but for some reason I keep using that : ))

Man, this was a really good review. It is a very terrible shame the devs will most definitely not do anything about it though unfortunately. But nevertheless, definitely a good review. I feel bad for how much time you must have put into this.

even if they were competent enough to fix everything(which they are not in the slightest), I don’t think they would bother anymore because they already know they have screwed the playerbase over so bad nobody is going to bother coming back.

• Like 1

BTW wanna hear funny story? Unfortunately Kummba didn't have all 50 tentacles when I first asked, and gave me just 40. So I decided to check if some1 can sell me 10 missing tentacles. I was doing some resource and treasure business all around the atlas and every grid I visit I asked if someone can sell me 10 tentacles?

And soon I received a message that guys have them, and ready to sell them to me for just 6k gold (I mean last season the guy asked 50k for 50 tentacles so 6k was even cheap in some ways). I agreed, anchor my ship to the shore they point and...2 guys came, they took 6k gold and run away : ))

I mean... it was no big deal for me (I constantly gather 50k gold from treasures, spend them, then gather up to 50k again), and I hope those 6k will serve them well. And probably it was part of PIRACY concept. But...

Well. Someone, who doesn't do this well, might lost everything he got so far, and will be really sad about it.

Next day I met a guy who sold me 10 tentacles for 200g : ))

Edited by George Catcher

10 hours ago, George Catcher said:

BTW wanna hear funny story? Unfortunately Kummba didn't have all 50 tentacles when I first asked, and gave me just 40. So I decided to check if some1 can sell me 10 missing tentacles. I was doing some resource and treasure business all around the atlas and every grid I visit I asked if someone can sell me 10 tentacles?

And soon I received a message that guys have them, and ready to sell them to me for just 6k gold (I mean last season the guy asked 50k for 50 tentacles so 6k was even cheap in some ways). I agreed, anchor my ship to the shore they point and...2 guys came, they took 6k gold and run away : ))

I mean... it was no big deal for me (I constantly gather 50k gold from treasures, spend them, then gather up to 50k again), and I hope those 6k will serve them well. And probably it was part of PIRACY concept. But...

Well. Someone, who doesn't do this well, might lost everything he got so far, and will be really sad about it.

Next day I met a guy who sold me 10 tentacles for 200g : ))

Its  a bit offtopic, but pricing is so hard now with all that gold around.
People can get >7k a day per market, litteraly doing nothing for it.
So 5k might still be a fortune for some, others are despawning it bc of weight issues 😂
People that steal bc this is a pirate game can fuck off. There is not threat for a pirate in this game, so its pretty onesided view.
All pirate like pirates should do that pirate life in PVP tbh.

• Like 1

On 6/14/2021 at 9:09 AM, hartsia said:

good review, i also made one last season and well, it was a seaweed farmer. but 1 thing i wanna point out. do not put points ever into sturdiness, only thing u want to put points in for defens is resistanse, and to even somewhow kill fleets of ghost ships u want 280-300% resistance. thats 3x time the hp then.and 20 points in weight and rest in damage, dont waste on crew points,  just have less cannons, and this ship cant be used before leveled, so best is to make a catapult railings and  go powerstone kill cyclops with boulders, then when its 45-50 u can start trying it out on ghost ships. 

And only large handling sails, prefer at leats 110%+ turning and 115% speed

I think the sturdiness skilling is also related to my review of the majestic kraken some month ago. Link below. It sunk that fast that i proposed to skill sturdiness in this case as i had 300% resistance and it was damaged way to fast. Repairing is unplayable... and the sinking speed is rediculus faster than a Shooner. I managed to repair a Shooner after double barrel hit missing 9 planks and 3 more leaking(3 HP left). You can buckle water while waiting to replace the planks... no chance doing this on the Majestic Kraken.

Thank you @George Catcher for this review that basicaly confirms all issues i have expirienced as well. And also we have to consider both reviews are from PVE server without even testing it on the PvP. While i fight versus a ramming gally on PvP server this season already the majestic Kraken will never be played on PvP. The Ramming gally has at least a feature to ignore the winds that enables to outplay Shooners and Brigantines. You can't even remove cannons from Majestic Kraken to reduce the weight. In it's current state it's totaly useless.

The issue with manual cannon aiming is appearing on several ships and i can't remember this one in the previous seasons. I think it is related to the large speed sails. With handling sails i don't get this bug. You can still aim while looking far down to shot the cannons on max range. Most often you have to relog to solve this issue... very unpleassant in a fight so. The overload skill you can use also with auto aim. You have to stop your man shooting and activate it before next moment you activate auto fire again. I would also recommend using rally the troops in front of this to shoot 3x with small cannons.

When I farmed seaweed and tamed some craps i asked my PvP company members where i should put the tentacles and the answer was -> don't dare to put this weight on the ship.... drop them. End of Story.

Edited by Nacona
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Nacona said:

drop them. End of Story.

Nice final words.

• Like 1

Devs have been laughing behind their screen knowing we waste our time testing things that they dont even test them self, or will do any kinda updates for, 

• Like 1

Just wanna add one more thing, showing why those new ships way worse that old ones in terms of naval combats.

I'm not saying anything about shotgun kiting tactics. Just old fashion board-side fight witch all new ships are (theoretically) made for. So... in all those fights most of damage lands to nose and middle part of the ship. And if I play Brig my nose contains several parts and all damage spread there. Even if I wont build anything extra it's gonna be:

4 planks x 6000 hp.

1 deck x 40000 hp.

4 ceilings x 5000 hp.

1 sail x 15000 hp.

24000+40000+20000+15000=99000 hp. And all cursed cannonballs evenly distributed over all those parts. And of course I can increase this 99000 to more than 200000 using better bps.

Now what do we have on new modular ship???

1 front castle x 15000.

That's it.

Ok, I can add there a sail. In Ramming Galley front castle too high, but in Majestic Kraken it might gonna work. So let's add there...

1 sail x 15000 hp.

15000+15000 = 30000. With best sail It can be increased to 45000.

So the situation as is. 99000hp is just more than 3 times better than 30000. And 200000hp is just almost 4.5 times better than 45000.

Dq1mVAD.jpg

BbhiOX7.jpg

Edited by George Catcher
  • Like 1

And the last but not least.

When I told that those modular ships are extremely expensive in maintenance - I didn't say that to make it more drama ok? It's just compared to current ships.

To repair 1000hp of Majestic Kraken or Ramming Galley I need to spend:

200 wood 120 thatches 100 fiber.

To repair 1000hp of old fashion Brig I need to spend:

15 wood, 13 thatches, 15 fiber, 1 metal. 

It's 13 times less wood, 9 times less thatches, 6 times less fiber... and 1 piece of metal more. So If you want maintenance of modern modular ships be same expensive as old fashion ships, that's how much patches should cost. 15 wood, 13 thatches, 15 fiber, 1 metal. 

rcFdPjU.jpg

(oh and my gunports here a bit better quality and they just a bit more expensive in maintenance than generic ones).

Edited by George Catcher
  • Like 1

Somehow it feels like they have this system just to be able to mention something when they get asked, it cant be in such a bad stage since its introduction elsewise.
Somehow it feels like only the guy doing the map is left. Or that map is also taken from external modders, who knows.

• Like 1