Sign in to follow this  
Kast

Claimable Lawless: Designing Failure

I'll admit that I initially though that claimable lawless was an interesting idea. But no, no... like so much of the newer content, it's a train-wreck on PvP.

Everything within a claim tower's radius is owned (or becomes owned) by the owner of the claim tower. So if you have a primary base, that central claim tower not only doesn't help you at all, it's actually a HUGE liability! It's a womp rat-sized exhaust port on your Death Star base. Add in saddle platforms on jumping crabs, and the fact that you can mount LARGE cannons on them (you can't even mount large cannons on the deck of a galleon...) and the bed/artillery building height restriction, and attackers can safely chew through your defenses from a mile away - if you can build a bed and puckles on it, a saddle mounted large cannon can hit it. You'd be far far better off building that same base on a normal lawless and spamming building blocks.

Armored docks on claimable lawless. There's perhaps no bigger mistake made since King Olaf the Viking ordered 20,000 helmets with horns on the inside. A 20 million hitpoint dock protected by a 400k hitpoint claim tower? Good luck with that. So, we have two newish content updates (armored shipyards and claim towers)... that should never ever ever be used together. Brilliant!

You know, as I wrote this, I had an epiphany: armored docks were designed with PvP servers in mind, and claim towers were designed for PvE servers. The fact that claim towers have 400k and 500k hitpoints was an afterthought when they remembered that they'd be used on PvP servers too... and that's pretty much all the thought that was put into it.

Edited by Kast

New direction to be replaced by another new direction in a few months... again.

Atlas pvp log on message: You have been killed by Snapperhead5, All your stuff has been destroyed. Enjoy your adventure.

• Like 2

On 5/26/2021 at 8:46 AM, Kast said:

I'll admit that I initially though that claimable lawless was an interesting idea. But no, no... like so much of the newer content, it's a train-wreck on PvP.

Everything within a claim tower's radius is owned (or becomes owned) by the owner of the claim tower. So if you have a primary base, that central claim tower not only doesn't help you at all, it's actually a HUGE liability! It's a womp rat-sized exhaust port on your Death Star base. Add in saddle platforms on jumping crabs, and the fact that you can mount LARGE cannons on them (you can't even mount large cannons on the deck of a galleon...) and the bed/artillery building height restriction, and attackers can safely chew through your defenses from a mile away - if you can build a bed and puckles on it, a saddle mounted large cannon can hit it. You'd be far far better off building that same base on a normal lawless and spamming building blocks.

Armored docks on claimable lawless. There's perhaps no bigger mistake made since King Olaf the Viking ordered 20,000 helmets with horns on the inside. A 20 million hitpoint dock protected by a 400k hitpoint claim tower? Good luck with that. So, we have two newish content updates (armored shipyards and claim towers)... that should never ever ever be used together. Brilliant!

You know, as I wrote this, I had an epiphany: armored docks were designed with PvP servers in mind, and claim towers were designed for PvE servers. The fact that claim towers have 400k and 500k hitpoints was an afterthought when they remembered that they'd be used on PvP servers too... and that's pretty much all the thought that was put into it.

Welcome to atlas, the steaming pile of the gaming industry 

Edited by George of the jungle

It was designed by the devs for the megas to continue to grief the small companies. I mean who cares if the game tanks. They are having fun.

1 hour ago, monkguru said:

It was designed by the devs for the megas to continue to grief the small companies. I mean who cares if the game tanks. They are having fun.

Oh it’s tanking all right lol