Myrm

NPC/Land Tames Bug on Ships

Hi.

Since the Trade Winds update, I have been experiencing a rather annoying bug, which is making part of the game quite difficult to play (Xbox Series X).

When I sail through a grid border and arrive in the next grid, my NPCs manning the sails are removed from their positions.  I find them standing up against the masts. When I go to them and open the command wheel I get no option for them to man any sails.  Furthermore, if I whistle for them to follow me, they will run right past me and congregate in the centre of the ship.

Furthermore, with the NPCs removed from the sails, I cannot slow or stop the ship.  Oddly enough I can whistle for the sails to close, and they do, even though the NPCs are not manning them.  However, the ship refuses to stop.

I have discovered this work around to stop the ship and to be able to have the man sails command reappear in the command radial wheel.  I simply log out and back in again.  Now when I approach the NPCs I get the man sails command reappear, and the ship will stop.

If the NPC is near an unmanned sail, I can use the man sail command now, and he dutifully will man the sail.  However,  if there are any sails that are not near the middle of the ship, say the forward-most sails on a galleon, I cannot get the NPC to follow me to that sail, as they refuse to move away from the centre of the ship, even with lowest follow range selected.  I have found a work around for this too.

If I have the NPC follow me and I jump over the side into the sea, the NPC will follow me.  I then swim alongside the ship until I am below the mast I want the NPC to man.  I can then face them and get them to man the sail by calling up their man sail command in the radial.

If I jump into the sea with a NPC following me, and I then climb back onto the ship with the NPC still following, he too will climb back onboard, but then immediately run to the centre of the ship and remain there.

I am wondering if this behaviour has anything to do with the fact that we can now get water creatures to follow the ship.

I have found nothing elsewhere that suggests others are experiencing this too.  Are there any other players out there with this same bug?  I have submitted a report via the reporting system, but unfortunately you never hear back from them, so I have no idea if they received it, if they know of the bug, or if they are working on it.

Any advice would be appreciated.  Thank you.

• Like 1

@George Catcher had mentioned the same issue already. But i think he is playing on PC(not sure). I myself have only a Sloop yet and there is no issue with NPCs like you describe it.

Maybe it's only appearing on Brigantine and Galleon. Quite weird that they drop of the sails. Does this happen to cannons/balisatas as well?

Sometimes NPC disappear very rare but they are still manning the cannon for example. This fixes itself most often after some time and grid change.

• Like 1

Hi Nacona

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

I am currently on a schooner, and though the NPCs do not appear to fall off the masts when I cross a grid on this ship, they still seem to want to follow the centre of the ship rather than me when I whistle for them to follow me, even on lowest follow range.

Oddly enough the NPCs manning cannons on my brig and galleons remain on their cannons when I cross a grid.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Myrm said:

Hi.

Since the Trade Winds update, I have been experiencing a rather annoying bug, which is making part of the game quite difficult to play (Xbox Series X).

When I sail through a grid border and arrive in the next grid, my NPCs manning the sails are removed from their positions.  I find them standing up against the masts. When I go to them and open the command wheel I get no option for them to man any sails.  Furthermore, if I whistle for them to follow me, they will run right past me and congregate in the centre of the ship.

Furthermore, with the NPCs removed from the sails, I cannot slow or stop the ship.  Oddly enough I can whistle for the sails to close, and they do, even though the NPCs are not manning them.  However, the ship refuses to stop.

I have discovered this work around to stop the ship and to be able to have the man sails command reappear in the command radial wheel.  I simply log out and back in again.  Now when I approach the NPCs I get the man sails command reappear, and the ship will stop.

If the NPC is near an unmanned sail, I can use the man sail command now, and he dutifully will man the sail.  However,  if there are any sails that are not near the middle of the ship, say the forward-most sails on a galleon, I cannot get the NPC to follow me to that sail, as they refuse to move away from the centre of the ship, even with lowest follow range selected.  I have found a work around for this too.

If I have the NPC follow me and I jump over the side into the sea, the NPC will follow me.  I then swim alongside the ship until I am below the mast I want the NPC to man.  I can then face them and get them to man the sail by calling up their man sail command in the radial.

If I jump into the sea with a NPC following me, and I then climb back onto the ship with the NPC still following, he too will climb back onboard, but then immediately run to the centre of the ship and remain there.

I am wondering if this behaviour has anything to do with the fact that we can now get water creatures to follow the ship.

I have found nothing elsewhere that suggests others are experiencing this too.  Are there any other players out there with this same bug?  I have submitted a report via the reporting system, but unfortunately you never hear back from them, so I have no idea if they received it, if they know of the bug, or if they are working on it.

Any advice would be appreciated.  Thank you.

NPCs on ship behave strange, i do Whistle "All Move To"  near a mast or on the mast, they allways move then. But be carefully, everything eles in range will move there too.
I never had the dismounting NPC issue, that sounds horrible. I mean i had but only on tighly placed cannons, never on sails.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Kummba said:

NPCs on ship behave strange, i do Whistle "All Move To"  near a mast or on the mast, they allways move then. But be carefully, everything eles in range will move there too.
I never had the dismounting NPC issue, that sounds horrible. I mean i had but only on tighly placed cannons, never on sails.

Hi Kummba

Thank you for he extremely helpful tip on using the "All Move To" command.  I tried it (LB+Down on D-pad) and it works like a charm.  The NPC will move to wherever I point the crosshairs at, and the bug of them "following" the centre of the ship does not affect this command.  

I'll add more weird issue I experience.

I now do Powerstones, and for that I put 5 cannons on my Schooner's stern. When I successfully kite Hydra, I press shoot (LMB) - and my 4 canons do volley. The guy from one central cannon - dismount instead of shooting 😆

@George Catcher It's still strange with all these issues you have. Saturday I did Power Stones and had no issues with the Shooner and NPCs - but using swivel gun with enough players to man them. Also we did Kraken V1 and V2 that evening and besides most of the level 1 NPC died i heard some rumors on the galley that NPCs did not properly dismount cannons and mount the sails where the others died... but it was in the middle of those lightning tentacles that do +200 damage on V2 level^^ Maybe you  should remove your cannons and place them new with more distance to each other?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nacona said:

@George Catcher It's still strange with all these issues you have. Saturday I did Power Stones and had no issues with the Shooner and NPCs ...

I find that crossing a grid in a sloop or schooner does not present the problem of NPCs being knocked off from their sail perches.  It only seems to happen on the bigger ships (brigs and galleons).

I have had this problem on 2 ships. My first one died after 20 mins after finishing it because I didn't know about this issue and as I went through 4 sotd were waiting for me and sunk me because I couldn't move. I have captured a video of what happens to me below.

when I close the sails and go through the sector the forward sail shows closed but its open because the ship is moving still depending on what wind I have. The aft sail shows manned but isn't and I have to log out and in to see what's really happening and as a result of me leaving the forward sail closes.

When I come back in the forward sail is ok now but now the aft shows its truly unmanned and he is inside or next to the mast everytime. I have to tell him to get on then its all OK again.

I'm on xbox series x and this has only happened to me on 2 schooners so far.

Don't know what to do about this.

https://xboxclips.co/nismo-the-gamer/a02f1e5a-f601-4fb4-8b58-644d11c9d420