Sign in to follow this  
George of the jungle

Pooped the bed again?

So a Wednesday evening release huh? Pretty sure you couldn’t have came up with a worse time, like literally. Smh

Very early Saturday pacific would have been a lot better because it would still be Saturday for the whole world pretty much.

well I mean the Chinese will have a pretty good head start but to be honest I see this update as bring in all time low numbers again.

the new map won’t actually be a new map but just a shuffled version of the others.

and platform saddles? Yeah I get they actually have utility to them and usage but that is just lazy plain and simple. Couldn’t think of anything new so let’s just import some more ark content lol I bet they will look exactly the same as well or will you bother to even real in them? Lol

guess the “tradewinds” thing is a form of fast travel so who knows that might be something, if it actually works.

no surprise there is only two days left and still no extra info. Par for the course. 

actually just sitting here thinking I see why you are making it the 28th. You want to try to affect the low player count that you have right now and if you get an influx of people on the 28th it would make that number disappear. Well let’s hope you can’t get it out on time so that 1k will remain there forever lol

so about the player numbers. to be fair do you really think this game could ever have mass appeal? (without making it carebear kid mode)

they would have to put in the ability to buy power so that bads could just throw money at it instead of developing some social skills or just becoming knowledgeable. even then it still probably wouldnt have mainstream appeal. right? im sure the player counts will jump up but it's not like they're going to be smashing the charts, and i hope they never view having a low or a high player count as ultimate success because they may start making odd decisions like having stupid sea of thieves esque gun skins or just absurdly stupid looking flavor skins for sale. imagine them selling wow like microtransactions on full release. fully leveled tames or blueprints...gold...(shudder). i dont think that would even help player counts tbh it would destroy the loyalists. but you get the idea. the game is too time consuming; social, and complicated for most gamers to enjoy imo. think about that..this game take cooperation with more than 3 other people over long periods of time to become powerful. people have meltdowns on overwatch or dota or league on a team of 5 in matches that last a few minutes. theirs a reason this niche game has a low player count because most gamers are scrubs X _ X

I doubt this game will ever have a "high" player count. Here's hoping tho

(dont even bring up ark. those people think dinosaurs are cool)  :{}. . .

Edited by Jimboscuzbuckler

2 hours ago, Jimboscuzbuckler said:

so about the player numbers. to be fair do you really think this game could ever have mass appeal? (without making it carebear kid mode)

they would have to put in the ability to buy power so that bads could just throw money at it instead of developing some social skills or just becoming knowledgeable. even then it still probably wouldnt have mainstream appeal. right? im sure the player counts will jump up but it's not like they're going to be smashing the charts, and i hope they never view having a low or a high player count as ultimate success because they may start making odd decisions like having stupid sea of thieves esque gun skins or just absurdly stupid looking flavor skins for sale. imagine them selling wow like microtransactions on full release. fully leveled tames or blueprints...gold...(shudder). i dont think that would even help player counts tbh it would destroy the loyalists. but you get the idea. the game is too time consuming; social, and complicated for most gamers to enjoy imo. think about that..this game take cooperation with more than 3 other people over long periods of time to become powerful. people have meltdowns on overwatch or dota or league on a team of 5 in matches that last a few minutes. theirs a reason this niche game has a low player count because most gamers are scrubs X _ X

This game lacks mass appeal for many reasons. Like locked in perma early release where they are not working out final bug, rather still trying to figure out a direction or how this should work (like the claim system). Like all your efforts can get wiped at anytime, yet again, Like you can get off-lined if on pvp. Like your client might crash sailing from grid to grid. Like you might take 8 seconds to rez the next grid or 45 seconds in the middle of a SOD fleet and loose your ship. Like taking a vacation for two weeks may mean you loose everything you have. Like something your client crashes and for mystery reasons you can't log on for two days. Like the servers run good one day and you have crushing lag the next. Like a dev team that puts hats on bears or pushes untested features to live. And yes, the time sink. And yes, the people who endlessly want to insult non-pvpers in a game that most pvpers say the game is busted at every turn.  As the top Atlas pvp streamer said on stream last week "nothing in this game works like it should" .

This game has a lot of issue and reasons why it lacks mass appeal. I don't ever expect that to change with this company. We are left with the simple... can I enjoy a little time here or not.

Yah devoting resorces to hats on bears is dumb i can agree with that.

i don't agree that getting offline raided is a bad thing. destroying other peoples stuff is a pretty big feature of the game. also yah if you take a 2 week break stuff happens when your gone. basically to counter that you need to be in a company of like 100 people...or however many people it takes to make sure their is always like 10 people on. that's the social aspect of this game. and dont take this as me saying its wrong to take a 2 week break by all means you do what you have to do in real life. the only other thing i would disagree on is the time sink as well. i mean...do you want to play classic wow but everybody is instant 60? runescape but everyone has 99 stats on char creation? their is always unofficial servers for that. their will always be people who spend more time playing than you and some who spend less. depending on how you look at it you can laugh at both when encountered.  

in defense of the claim system: i think that arguments can be made for the way it was before and the way it is now. It's hard to decide what the philosophy should be on that issue. you could still find a tiny sliver of land to lay a claim tower but its gonna be a bad spot. if its the other way you could make the argument its even worse. someone could just start building literally right next to you and now you're really in for a war.

offline raiding. grinding. destroying structures etc: is the whole appeal of the game for some people (me included) and large companys made up of people with social skills who don't blow up and have tempers and who aren't socially durrrrrrrrrr will always be playing the real game and companys with inactive players: ragers, social morons, casuals, bad leaders etc will always be weak and i think that's the way it's meant to be. if you don't like having your stuff destroyed find some cool people to pve with and just roleplay. build ships that are beautiful with complex deck layouts and stuff. basically if you try to play this game solo your gonna have a bad time. i guess you could rp as a savage maniac who jumps out of the bushes with a spear and just be a forest hermit.

obviously i agree that technical problems are always bad though and i think going for mass appeal isnt a good idea. This game was meant to be brutal learn to make friends...or else :3

3 hours ago, Jimboscuzbuckler said:

Yeah but to be honest this low of a player count is pretty pathetic. I have a feeling this update will rank and even though there is an initial influx it will go down faster than before.

if you check steam charts every single time there is a wipe you get an influx and then it goes down again. The important thing to notice is that every wipe the influx is always only a fraction. That is why numbers continue to go down regardless of a wipe. I mean they did fail pretty badly

1 hour ago, Gemini Five said:

This game lacks mass appeal for many reasons. Like locked in perma early release where they are not working out final bug, rather still trying to figure out a direction or how this should work (like the claim system). Like all your efforts can get wiped at anytime, yet again, Like you can get off-lined if on pvp. Like your client might crash sailing from grid to grid. Like you might take 8 seconds to rez the next grid or 45 seconds in the middle of a SOD fleet and loose your ship. Like taking a vacation for two weeks may mean you loose everything you have. Like something your client crashes and for mystery reasons you can't log on for two days. Like the servers run good one day and you have crushing lag the next. Like a dev team that puts hats on bears or pushes untested features to live. And yes, the time sink. And yes, the people who endlessly want to insult non-pvpers in a game that most pvpers say the game is busted at every turn.  As the top Atlas pvp streamer said on stream last week "nothing in this game works like it should" .

This game has a lot of issue and reasons why it lacks mass appeal. I don't ever expect that to change with this company. We are left with the simple... can I enjoy a little time here or not.

Yeah these guys simply don’t fix bugs. Even when they did release ark officially they still didn’t fix the bugs before hand lol

casuals join...get wrecked by companys, get mad and leave *shrugs*. they dont' have time to search reddit and forums and discord and steam and w/e else for an established company or make their own (of course they shouldnt make their own serious company cause they dont know ish about da game make one with yourself and merge) it seems to me this game is about who you know.

if you have bad social skills your toast gg. i guess they think their gonna jump on and 360 carbine people? :'D or its non stop action? Lol go chop wood for like an hour thatd be a big help thx.  Yay....pirates :3 

And they probably think they are above chopping wood for someone else for an hour but it really is helpful :/. i mean if your being treated like ish by your ompany then yah you are above that but again. discord. gotta find a company that has at least leaders that aren't low iq. call it charisma if you want.

Oh but maybe you did do all that and did find a company and it even whent well for awhile....now its mostly inactive players..your leaders are useless and half inactive..no one talks on discord they have no plans for land or working together and they are spread out over the map and they just dont communicate at all and have no goal...now all the stuff is the companys -_-.

for this i have no good advice :[ 

22 minutes ago, Jimboscuzbuckler said:

Oh but maybe you did do all that and did find a company and it even whent well for awhile....now its mostly inactive players..your leaders are useless and half inactive..no one talks on discord they have no plans for land or working together and they are spread out over the map and they just dont communicate at all and have no goal...now all the stuff is the companys -_-.

for this i have no good advice :[ 

Yeah I get you but with a few Megas at a couple hundred that is already half the playerbase. The rest are on pve and Unofficials. That 1k players is spread throughout all 3 clusters as well as unofficials(not sure if you knew that or not). So even if it went to 3k people that would still be at most 800 per cluster plus Unofficials and I think Unofficials are actually more popular now.

1 hour ago, George of the jungle said:
18 minutes ago, George of the jungle said:

Yeah I get you but with a few Megas at a couple hundred that is already half the playerbase. The rest are on pve and Unofficials. That 1k players is spread throughout all 3 clusters as well as unofficials(not sure if you knew that or not). So even if it went to 3k people that would still be at most 800 per cluster plus Unofficials and I think Unofficials are actually more popular now.

i play on NA pvp. curious what do you mean by "clusters"?

also to follow up on my point about solos being effed so join a company of 100 etc: its not necessarily about hitting a certain number. could be 50. could be 20 (good luck finding 10 people are are gonna no life with you) the point is to find a company that has however many people but that their is at least around 5-10 on daily. i mean if you cant even field 5 people daily :/....just dont make any powerful company mad and it should be fine. but i mean its fun to do group activities. even just whailing or treasure hunt diving w/e. companys are important. i feel bad for solos. i said all that because another player said it was frustrating to get offline raided or sometimes he has to do things irl and he has no control over that. so my advice was to be in an active company or one with large numbers just someone to make sure the crews paid farms running deter raids.

i'll never understand people that play unofficial. i want the real game with the real hardcore players. im sure il never see a hydra 😕 might mess around with single player one day just to see the pve stuff but would never actually play multiplayer unofficial. to each their own. maybe they like showing off complex structure builds. making art sort of.

4 hours ago, Jimboscuzbuckler said:

Oh that 1k takes into account eu and pve as well as unofficial? Well.

Idk. Wipes gonna be interesting

Yeah the 1k is na pvp/eu pvp/pve/Unofficial 

but yeah you will see numbers go up but very quickly go down. Atlas is also getting old so it will be like Conan really soon. It didn’t just fail it also got old and boring.

I am hoping Microsoft QA stops them from the 28th release. If it can go till the 1st the 1k will forever be written in stone lol

9 hours ago, Jimboscuzbuckler said:

im sure il never see a hydra 😕 might mess around with single player one day just to see the pve stuff but [...]

I can't believe you playing official PvP in a company. To be competitive you need high Level and therefore you need increased max level = discoveries. If you never kill Hydra or Dragon and don't do Power Stones and Essences you miss hundreds of discovery points and you are stuck at max level 60-70 if you discover all islands which is of course no PVE adventure xD.

Also you need to do treasure maps to level up in a decent speed up to your max. level 70... but I don't know the best XP grind imho after boss XP removed.(to get from Level 80 to 120) Well i can agree you may not see the Ice Dungeon and the Yeti Boss fight because there is no reward besides torpedos left. The harvest boost was a real (necessary) target in Season 1-2-3 but with farmhouse introduced you don't need that for harvesting anymore(like farming tames).

Ok, with level 70 you can probably learn all combat skills and ingoring all tools, weapon and building skills. You may have somebody building ships for you that you can play. You may have somebody cooking for you. You may have somebody breeding for you... but well you just killing and destroying stuff others build and farm for you that you have 2-3 hours fun a day. GG Team Play. But maybe i am wrong and you participated in base building and harbor defence taming and breeding horses, leveling ships etc.

16 hours ago, Jimboscuzbuckler said:

i'll never understand people that play unofficial. i want the real game with the real hardcore players.

I like "real games with hardcore players" too, but this is not it. Why even try to understand what other people enjoy in their pass time? Maybe one day this will be a different game but for now this is not a good pvp game in my opinion. At the same time I don't question why some people like it. I spent years in Eve online while many would say that's too hardcore. As mush as I love pvp I don't find it here, and will not anytime soon.

I do enjoy official pve. I like it as a nice peaceful doodle game at the end of the day. Lately a way to relax after some Outriders or Warships.

Every time I see some rant from a pvper going on about cowards and such not joining the fight on pvp servers,  I always think... How often is the guy ranting some pencil armed nerd, calling out someone who spent years in a RL combat zone or, someone 50 or 60 years old just not looking for a pvp game. And not a bad, laggy, glitchy pvp game at that.

Just accept different people like different things. And Atlas is a game where different people can find different things enjoyable.

i can understand not wanting to stress about having your precisely created structures bombarded. they might even enjoy pvp in other games where it isn't your time getting destroyed.

8 hours ago, Nacona said:

I can't believe you playing official PvP in a company. To be competitive you need high Level and therefore you need increased max level = discoveries. If you never kill Hydra or Dragon and don't do Power Stones and Essences you miss hundreds of discovery points and you are stuck at max level 60-70 if you discover all islands which is of course no PVE adventure xD.

Also you need to do treasure maps to level up in a decent speed up to your max. level 70... but I don't know the best XP grind imho after boss XP removed.(to get from Level 80 to 120) Well i can agree you may not see the Ice Dungeon and the Yeti Boss fight because there is no reward besides torpedos left. The harvest boost was a real (necessary) target in Season 1-2-3 but with farmhouse introduced you don't need that for harvesting anymore(like farming tames).

Ok, with level 70 you can probably learn all combat skills and ingoring all tools, weapon and building skills. You may have somebody building ships for you that you can play. You may have somebody cooking for you. You may have somebody breeding for you... but well you just killing and destroying stuff others build and farm for you that you have 2-3 hours fun a day. GG Team Play. But maybe i am wrong and you participated in base building and harbor defence taming and breeding horses, leveling ships etc.

im new. i dont have a hundred hours yet and i started playing like 3 weeks ago or so and not many people have been on NA cause they were convinced wipe was soon so i haven't been able to find a mega company :[. iv been looking for experienced players on pvp to play with though. i haven't found a company that deep into the game yet where one person does x skill and another does that. mostly the companys i ran into and played with have been small groups of casuals (that aren't aware that they are in fact casuals) they think they know whats up but they have inactive people dont talk on discord or make plans dont try to land grab and they are all spread out to different lawless islands instead of all being in one spot and trying to grab as much of 1 lawless and then expanding to real land.

i didn't even know discoveries raised your max lvl. kind of a weird mechanic. course that can be played around if you have a company that is willing to send groups of people on treasure hunts together that are prepared with a decent ship. can get some discoveries from other lawless and hopefully not get gunned down by puckles, but like i said they are too casual and socially inept to do that. they all just do their own thing. and im not tryin to lead i mean i didnt even know discoveries raised max lvl cap..i jus tthink the idea of a group going out to dive or treasure hunt is rewarding enough but their is actually a concrete reward for your lvl cap. casual company = death.

There is only 3% of the number of active players as when the game launched.  There are currently on average 1900 players per day. There are over 4000 servers (maps).  So the average is .5 players per map........

11 minutes ago, Pattus said:

There is only 3% of the number of active players as when the game launched.  There are currently on average 1900 players per day. There are over 4000 servers (maps).  So the average is .5 players per map........

Not to nit pick but the average is actually only 1018. The 1900 you are looking at isn’t the peak for the day, it is actually the highest peak player count at anytime for the entire month. Just some useless info for you lol

i wonder what the math would be will that? Lol

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Pattus said:

Actually I went ahead and did the math just to see lol

it is actually only .254 players per server so technically they would have to get rid of 3000 out of the 4000 servers just to have 1 full player on each server.

Edited by George of the jungle
  • Like 1