Sign in to follow this  
Keins Thallow

Timetable for a finished game?

Its been a few years and it still feels like were nowhere closer to a finished game than when it was released. In some ways, it feels that we've just taken 1 step forward and 2 steps back...... Can I expect to play a completed version of Star Citizen "one of the most expensive, NEVER gonna finish games of all time" before Atlas will be done?

Asking for a friend.

Well tbh their past record isn't great, I mean look at dark and light, great game great idea, never left ea. And it's not the only one like it either.

I personally think that next patch will show the current state of affairs.

They released lawless claims at March 12, it's been more than a month since, and they working hard on something. So hard so they didn't do any updates, fixes, forum messages etc. So we'll just need see what next patch brings. If within couple of months they come up with just some numbers changes and croc-tames - then this game will be in EA state like for ever.

I personally would welcome to see - how big their team is, and what are they doing. Because sometimes it looks like there is just 1-2 ppl are actually working the game on leftover basis, and they don't play what they made. But worst - they don't love what they doing. I'll be glad to mistake this one.

Alright. Maybe not next patch. They promised BIG SUMMER UPDATE. Let's see what this one brings, then all will be clear.

The problem is , the gaming industry is like the wizard of oz, we see the big face/logo of the company and assume there is a  team behind it. Often, smaller companies like to give us this impression because it inspires confidence. Unfortunately, sometimes when the revealing curtain is drawn aside, we see one person pulling lots of strings. And imo it highlights my biggest issue with the internet, Websites are simply a facade of what companies want us to know and see.

Since they are still working on concepts and not any kind of final pass and looking at the past... I'd guess 2-3 years. And it looks much like it does today. From their first live stream and early info, I don't think they have a team of more than 10 or 15. When they refer to a project being looked at by a person instead of a department... But what do I know.

And SC, wow, I bought ships 5 maybe 6 years ago I have yet to see. I didn't mind helping on funding but now I'm factoring in life expectancy. I expect a greatly reduced soft launch in 2024. And stated vision complete 2026.

Imo they could have a game sooner than later if they would focus on getting the game to work properly instead of adding more and more broken shit. Get the game running smoothly, then work on balancing the current things, then add things a little at a time. Adding broken things on top of broken things is just making a mess of the game. Spending time putting hats on animals is a slap in the face when people are losing things to stupid broken aspects of playability. The game crossout started with nothing, but was playable throughout the growing process. Now, they have so much money coming in that they have an army adding things to the game. There is new content every other month. Make it playable and the rest will come. A steady efficient progression wins the race.

On 4/20/2021 at 12:42 PM, Motor said:

There is new content every other month. .

That is VERY generous of you to call the stuff added over the last six months "content" hehe. 

On 4/20/2021 at 1:42 PM, Motor said:

Now, they have so much money coming in that they have an army adding things to the game. 

Ummm lol what? Who is giving them money every month? There is certainly no army of employees over at GS. There is no massive amounts of money coming in. Hell, I bet they didn't even really get that much from the initial launch compared to what it should be costing to make a successful game of this scale. Have they even sold 100k copies of the game? It has previously been mentioned that Atlas is in the bottom 100 games on steam. 

@Keins Thallow Don't expect this game to ever release. Unless you think SC is actually going to be finished and released someday. If that is the case, then expect this game to release first. You would be beyond help at that point anyways. 

Like this guy...he's fucked in the head. 

On 4/20/2021 at 12:56 PM, Gemini Five said:

And SC, wow, I bought ships 5 maybe 6 years ago I have yet to see. I didn't mind helping on funding but now I'm factoring in life expectancy. I expect a greatly reduced soft launch in 2024. And stated vision complete 2026.

Dude, the game had already been in alpha for like 5 years at that time. That's like buying a new Atlas ship....3 years from now.....and still having not seen it 8 years from now...AND still thinking it would release.....someday......

Your drugs sir....are awesome...I want some of whatever it is.

5 hours ago, Chucksteak said:

Ummm lol what? Who is giving them money every month? There is certainly no army of employees over at GS. There is no massive amounts of money coming in. Hell, I bet they didn't even really get that much from the initial launch compared to what it should be costing to make a successful game of this scale. Have they even sold 100k copies of the game? It has previously been mentioned that Atlas is in the bottom 100 games on steam. 

Have you ever played crossout? It has ALOT of money coming in. It has turned into a pay to win and that's why I've moved away from it. There is monthly subscriptions, battle passes, car packs. I'm not going to argue with you about it. You need to reevaluate who's fucked in the head.

Edited by Motor

16 hours ago, Chucksteak said:

Dude, the game had already been in alpha for like 5 years at that time. That's like buying a new Atlas ship....3 years from now.....and still having not seen it 8 years from now...AND still thinking it would release.....someday......

Your drugs sir....are awesome...I want some of whatever it is.

Yes I know. I have been following it from concept. I log in for a flight a few times a month. If you have not logged in for a flight recently, you should. It has some amazing eye candy. One day over the rainbow it will go live.

The news suggests a soft launch. Meaning launching with far less content then stated all those years ago. Then filling in the rest over following years. The timeline has been painful but if you follow the news, I think a soft launch in 2024 is doable. The end of the tech hurdles are in sight, then they need to fill in the world.

As far as drugs... no no, it's the same drugs all us Atlas holdouts are using. Just in the time released tablet form.

12 hours ago, Motor said:

Have you ever played crossout? It has ALOT of money coming in. It has turned into a pay to win and that's why I've moved away from it. There is monthly subscriptions, battle passes, car packs. I'm not going to argue with you about it. You need to reevaluate who's fucked in the head.

Never heard of crossout. 

@Gemini Five Id love to play SC. IT does look like the most badass game if it were to come out and do what they say it will. Unfortunately, it is totally P2W....even while in Alpha still. I can't justify a game where I can get to the top or get the best "items" for thousands of real life dollars. Those ships look amazing, and if I had thousands of dollars I didn't need I too could "own" one. SC is just a really fancy whale farm, and thats sad to me.

Its not the MOST flagrant type of P2W, because I believe you can "earn" all of those ships in game, but lets get real. That aint likely gunna happen.

3 hours ago, Chucksteak said:

Never heard of crossout. 

@Gemini Five Id love to play SC. IT does look like the most badass game if it were to come out and do what they say it will. Unfortunately, it is totally P2W....even while in Alpha still. I can't justify a game where I can get to the top or get the best "items" for thousands of real life dollars. Those ships look amazing, and if I had thousands of dollars I didn't need I too could "own" one. SC is just a really fancy whale farm, and thats sad to me.

Its not the MOST flagrant type of P2W, because I believe you can "earn" all of those ships in game, but lets get real. That aint likely gunna happen.

Yeah it has a bit of P2W or at least pay to bypass the grinding. Ships starts around $20 usd. I don't know of any ships over 1000, maybe some of those giant capital ship are. Eve online has the same... you buy ISK with usd and buy ships with the ISK. The difference in SC you have to be able to fly it (pilot skills) vs. Eve where you double click in space and the ship goes that way.

People like to talk about how long its taking and rightly so but they have a development schedule online. Currently they are about 3 weeks behind schedule.