Sign in to follow this  
Nacona

The Majestic Kraken Overview

I've bought the Majestic Kraken to test it out. Basically i thought i would never do this but i got lucky in some points.

1. I got a market and warehouse so i tested trading in general and earned about 200k gold now.(My main reason to reinstall the game)

2. I used my only Brig to do all Power Stones Solo and defeated the Kraken.(Never done this solo before)

3. I used the submarine to discover the Depths and get the first Essence of Power. While doing so i killed 7 Squids and got 60 squid legs as well as i used the squid meat and tamed 3 crabs Lvl 28  that passed my way.

4. After testing the Dolphin taming with the shark terminator(submarine) supporting me i thought about what to do now(Solo on PVE)

5. I remembered that i have 60 dried squid legs that i could use to make some testing of the Majestic Kraken pre build ship so i went to freeport to buy it.

costs: 22000 gold and 50 dried squid legs

Majestic_Kraken_ship.jpg.9bddb95e475574d68b5ff020c6404f68.jpg

The ship itself:

You get a ship with 200% quality from Vendor which means you can level up to Level 60.

The ship starts with 2000/9000 weight and two large Speed sails. This is enough to reach about 16 knots speed with strong wind(no storm) So the Kraken is about 4-5knots slower than a empty Brig. All shipparts show weight 1kg... no matter if it's the gunport, or the castle or the deck... that's quite weird. But you have 12 cannons on each broadside in two layers of each 6 which makes a total of 24 small cannons. The ship starts with 22 Crew capacity. Each cannons weight is 40kg when gun ports are closed so this makes about half the weight of the standard ship - 960kg. The masts weight is 100kg. I also tested 3x small handling sails with each 1,7 sails points(max 6 points) but that got very slow about 11 knots. You can't place 2x small and 1x large as this would be 6,1/6,0 points. So i ended up with my favorite 2x large handling sails which speed is than about 13-14 knots. Light brigs are about 2 knots faster. The ship has the same length like a Brig but is much higher and has less width. You can't customize the ship so you basically need a storage for some repairs and a bed to respawn. You can place a ship storage box for crew gold. NPCs can repair the anchored ship without the need of repair kits or repair resources. You do not need any spare planks as you can't replace the ship parts so far. The ship has only a few parts that can take damage... some ship parts do not have any health. I guess some parts just do not take any damage like the decks. The masts are only placed on the upper deck. On the cannon decks there is no Mast because you could not move between the cannons(closed gun ports) and Mast like on a Shooner.

Majestic_Kraken_cannon_deck.jpg.2bf0bba2393ff4a232949dc5350c4c89.jpg

You have 12 gun ports which each consists of two cannon ports. You can't remove cannons and you can't replace them. Each gun port has 7500 HP which is more than a Brig but a Brig has 2x 6000 HP instead. Also Brig Gun Ports crafted can have about 15000 HP on official servers. You can't repair this gun ports from the deck... so you have to go on each cannon deck to repair them. For Solo Player this is a massive Pain! Also to repair you need a Repair kit -> in your inventory!!!111. So if you have a repair kit and a repair hammer you can hit the gun port and repair it for a fix ammount of 1000 HP each repair kit. But the repair will take 3 seconds and you can#t do anything else during this time... if you go away from the part you are repairing the repair will not finish. So to repair one part that got 5000HP damage you need to stay there for 15 seconds... But at least each 1k repair is instand healed once you finish waiting 3 seconds. I don't like this system... in 15 seconds you could hit like 10 planks of a brig that repair automaticaly up to full life! To repair this ship system is zero fun! and you have to do it after every combat with a SoTD.

Also not to mention the costs of the repair kits. It's 100 fibre - 200 wood and 120 thatch -> for repairing 1000 HP of one ship part. A common complete medium plank cost 400 fibre - wood - thatch which is rughly 2x the ammount of wood of the patch kit. So if you want to go fighting some SotD you may take 100 patch kits with you that stack up to 10 and each weight is 3,5kg made with 56kg resouces. So this is a hugh weight reduction or the patch kit crafting resource amount is totaly broken. For a kraken fight solo with my brig i needed 1000 wood to repair the ship over 45 minutes = 5 patch kits = 5000 HP ?????????????????????

So if i take 100 patch kits with me it's 20000 wood !!!! THat's enough to craft 1,5x the planks for a shooner.

Also the ship consists of a front castle castle with 15000 HP that you only can repair from the top deck. In the mid deck there is a front part that does not show any HP as well in the bottom deck where there is also a front bottom part with no HP shown. So damage will may only be received by the front castle.

In the rear you have also 3 parts. The big rear castle on the top deck with 15000 HP including the railings and the deck stairs. The mid rear part with 10000HP including the first stair case. And the bottom rear part with again no HP including the bottom deck stair case. Front as well as rear castle is only 1 part so you do not have left or right ship side on this parts.

So far i tested it the ship has a health indication. If parts get damaged you can see this as a 100% or less value in your bottom right screen. THe parts show holes and look damaged but there is no water entering the ship. So you can't use a bucket to keep the ship alive and this health % is not the standard ship health value. If you have two much crew on board the standard health value moves down like the old ships... but again no water and no bucket... so you better not exceed the crew limit on this ship.

I will test next what happens if a part gets damaged to 0 HP... i guess it can be repaired and does not get destroyed/removed from the ship. If all parts reach 0 HP the ships should be destroyed. So if you have a repairs man that repairs the last surviving ship part every 3 seconds by 1000 HP you may not get sunk. But i also heard about bugs that some ship parts have critical health and once they are 0 the ship will sink.

Quality of Life on the ship: The overview with two sails is good. You can't place additional robe ladders so you have only the rear one - that is placed very stupid on the rear and you will drop several times from it's top. Getting up with the hook is difficult if you do not hit the railing from above... to hit the masts is difficult becuase of the height and the railing. You may often drop from the railing while climbing the ship. The Stair case is very bad and even with my PvP size character(very small) i have to crouch at some points. You do not have much space for beds and boxes... not to mention food storage(for the crew) and you do not have space to place a workbench or simmilar things. The ship is only constructed for minimalized PvP equipment. You can not place diving attachment, dingy dock or cargo rack. You can not place cover above/around the steering wheel.

Ship optics: I like the basic appearance of the ship... but the kraken design is ugly. The front kraken has collision with harbor structures and ships unlike the figure heads optical parts on old ships. This ship could have a place between the Brig and the Galleon but also between the Brig and the Shooner... because... length = Brig... width = Shooner ... cannons double of a Brig... handling like a Galleon... weight between Shooner and Brig... you get the point this ship has no place where it can shine... it feels like a worse part of all ships. Only 2 large Sails so larger than Shooner but smaller than Brig.

My first impression after killing some SotD green and yellow up to Galleon:

The ship turns much slower than a Brig and feels much more like steering a Galleon. I guess this is intended due to the height of the ship and it's small width. While you are turning the ship at high speed it does not roll to the outer side so you can't increase your small cannons range by this move. I tried to zick zack before a yellow SotD Galleon to shot it with both broadside but i got everytime into it's range and took damage. So I guess for kiting SotDs without taking damage the ship has too less maneuverabilty and is too slow even with Handling Sails(I use blue 110+110%). When i put Crew on all cannons(24  x 40kg + 2x sails) and take 100 patch kits with me(350kg) + right now 830 cannon balls (17xxkg) i have a ship weight of 5300kg andwith open gun ports 6800kg(max 9000). So far i think i will have to skill full 300% resistance to make this ship work and also add some levels to weight.(increasing only by 200 each point) So the damage of the ship will be low... repairing a pain... skilled fully on resistance to have less repair.... speed is lower than a Brig... you can't remove weight besides less ammunition.

I guess it's impossible to do Kraken fight with this ship... if it survives Golden Age farming and gets up to Level 50 i may try this one...

PVE: There is no reason to play this ship. No weight. high costs. Huge maintanace effort. No customization(besides Sails like all ships) You can't make a whale hunter out of it. There is no reason to transport tames with it.

PvP: No reason to play it as well. Repairing is a pain. Speed is only a little competitive with Speed Sails(vs Handling Sails) and only use would be to use bar shots with 12 cannons broadside if you can get a decent angle on the enemy which is unlikely.(bar shots have less weight than common balls).

What should be changed to make this ship competitive for PvP at least?

The ships strength could be to be a fast frigatte type ship between Galleon and Brig. It has a very long shape but a small width so it's terrible to turn as it could simply roll to the side. But it should be faster than a Brig. So you would have a fast ship that can use the wind to get in a position where it can work with it's broadside mainly to cut sails with the 12 cannons shot. Currently Brigs are often build with only 4-5 cannons on the boradside to reduce weight... some may only use 3 cannons to be fast enough to win the speed race. So the Majestic Kraken would be only that fast mainly using Speed Sails as Handling Sails have no real influence on the turning speed. This would be a very special propose of the ship but enemys with handling sails could escape pretty easy by just turning their ship fast in another direction. The 24 cannons currently have no purpose to be used by PvP Players.

The health system and repairing of the ship should be adjusted. Currently it has low HP compared to a brig and even a BP crafted Shooner. The repairing should be one hit consuming an amount of patch kits or resouces like old system and increasing the heath over time. To have a player look 15-20 seconds on a ship part to repair it if it's high damaged is pretty stupid. The auto repair on current ships is working well and consuming a decent ammount of resources. To heal fix HP with the patch kits feels pretty worse.

The repair costs/crafting patch kits have to be reduced !!

26 crew on board will never be the case on a PvP ship... their weight is to high even you make them nakked. If PvP Players could they would remove cannons from this ship to safe weight!

This ship testing is a very sad feeling. If all new ships get this system the fun on the seas is pretty much over. Even if you can place some modular pieces in the future i don't like this ship at all. My Brig behind can be a multi purpose ship. I can go farming and add 2 cargos without getting supper slow. I have the submarine attached and also a diving attachment. I have cannons below the Deck to fight the Kraken as well rear cannons to fight easy SoTD. I could place Balistas to hunt whales. I have a work bench and tannery on board so i can craft or tame if i see a target on my way. Yes that's all for PVE content but i fought lots of PvP battles in Season 3 and ship combat did not change besides the current use of rear catapults for barrels.(no fun) I could turn this Brig in the background into PvP playstile in less than 10 minutes reducing the weight to easy 3500kg.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Majestic_Kraken_sunk.jpg.642193d7ef342181777b2e0a9fa4084d.jpg

So some minutes after further testing this is what happened... i was swimming with the sharks xD

So I leveled up to 272% of resistance and attacked a Galleon Level 26 which is quite a decent enemy if you have to get close. So i zick zack kited it very good without taking too mutch damage but i wanted to test out things. So when it was down to about 25% HP i turned full broadside into the Galleon and sunk it with using all Captain abilities. But I received two full broadsides of the Galleon. This was already enough to not destroy or zero out gun ports but i got the message that my ship is sinking. The sink rate is pretty fast. I think i had 3 leacking gun ports that dropped below ~2500HP... but i really don't know because the leakage symbol is not shown on this ship! So after searching number one I repaired it looking 3 seconds onto it and i just wanted to go sure and repair twice to get above 2500 HP. Same repairing the second gun port. On the opposit side of the Galleon fight i found another leakage... while repairing the first 3 secodns the ship life is down to 5/100 and water is floating inside. When hitting it second time and watching the green bar to fill up the ship broke appart. I don't know if there where more than 3 leackages but i was not able to repair 3 of them. ( Less then 1 minute to sink the ship) I had no chance to check 1 cannon deck gun ports but there was maybe also leackage on the deck below which i couldn't check in time.

• Like 2

So i took my common ship to have a look at the ship wreck. Also I have to mention that no animals where hurt during this episode. Only some casualties of NPCs. But i managed to swim on land and most of my crew kept up to me.

Majestic_Kraken_ship_wreck_02.jpg.0580d8e4ff7c60bd1e2c3f63ea24f937.jpg

The Majestic Kraken was not dropping to the ground of the seas... instead it was swimming like a submarine and it looked quite healthy.

Edited by Nacona
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Majestic_Kraken_ship_wreck_03.jpg.af411b92a2deb817315c6040d7839f61.jpg

So i checked out the holes in the hull and unfortunatelly it was only this one gun port left that i had to repair... So quite bad luck that the 3 seconds green bar did not fill up completely when the ship reached 0 health.

After sinking this ship part is showing 0/7500 HP while it had 1300 when I repaired it.

But this shows other then i guessed that the ship can sink even if only one of it's parts is damaged to a leackage. So you only need to do 5000 HP damage to one gun port and this ship is sinking. With this repair system it is not usable in a PvP fight at all. Even expirienced repair players can't keep up saving this ship in a decent way.

The total health status of the ship is pretty much useless because there is no toal health of the ship. It's still like the old system in regards of how to sink it.

Also I would recommend for everybody who is testing not only to skill resistance but also to reduce the sink rate. Other than that you may just park this ship in your harbor to let others know you can effort it. LOL.

I don't hink i will try this ship again. Also i don't think i will hunt 50 rhinos when living in thundra to get the ramming gally.

Also very bad that the health of the ship parts is only shown on a few points of the specific part... so you have to search some seconds before you even know how much health the part has...

Edited by Nacona
  • Like 2

Sigh. They did exactly what they did with Ramming Galley. Unrepairable during the battle. No wallhooks and ladders. Consist of parts that you don't know how many you've got and how many damage you took. If this one is also not maneuverable - then... I totally don't understand it's purpose.

I did last ship survey and wrote down a lot of all issues (especially repairs related), so I hope they'll figure something out.

I also took the survey and found myself typing, "give these pre-made ships value. They don't offer anything i can't get from building my own" for 80% of the questions. I can build an all mythical ship that repairs itself when anchored. Why would i want this other crap. The fun is in getting the mythical stuff, getting high lvl crows, getting dolphins, using maxed out components and designing it to fit my needs. Pre-builts are overpriced, boring, slow, un-customizable, worthless floating toilets. And on top of that, even at 50% more damage on common cannons, it doesn't compare to the mythical ones I've built that are 150%+ more. That renders the kraken perk useless. So all you really get are no pros and all cons.

Edited by Motor
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Motor said:

I also took the survey and found myself typing, "give these pre-made ships value. They don't offer anything i can't get from building my own" for 80% of the questions. I can build an all mythical ship that repairs itself when anchored. Why would i want this other crap. The fun is in getting the mythical stuff, getting high lvl crows, getting dolphins, using maxed out components and designing it to fit my needs. Pre-builts are overpriced, boring, slow, un-customizable, worthless floating toilets.

Careful man, a few of these guys want to get rid of tames in general. Seems like you like the tames right?

Some of these guys must not see the value of adding an extra 17% on top of 250% damage mythical cannons. Maybe if they saw what 18 300% damage cannons do to a hydra, they may change their minds.

• Confused 1

To reply to your confusy face, 250% bp + lvl 120 crow + dolphin perk + lvl 90 character maxed in intelligence (~17%) = a little less than 300% cannon. With the math out of the way, place 18 of them on the back of a brig. Now agro a hydra and kite it off shore, to which it doesn't get very far from, and it take less than 400 cannon balls (accuracy is bad in auto shoot) at 18 per volley, that equals out to 2000 mythos in a little over a  minute. Mythos sell for 1:1, so 2000g  in a little over a minute. Try that with that kraken boat psssssss.

29 minutes ago, Motor said:

To reply to your confusy face, 250% bp + lvl 120 crow + dolphin perk + lvl 90 character maxed in intelligence (~17%) = a little less than 300% cannon. With the math out of the way, place 18 of them on the back of a brig. Now agro a hydra and kite it off shore, to which it doesn't get very far from, and it take less than 400 cannon balls (accuracy is bad in auto shoot) at 18 per volley, that equals out to 2000 mythos in a little over a  minute. Mythos sell for 1:1, so 2000g  in a little over a minute. Try that with that kraken boat psssssss.

Ah ok. Yeah we really need tames then for multiple reasons.

(Official pve) Unless they do something with h11 monopoly on twigs, I sure as hell would rather use a giraffe to collect them than by hand. Or you can buy them at 250g per 1000 from lotus and mess around with setting that up. Maybe you can fill me in on a way to trade with them via market trade. Or "renting" one of their farms. On 5x harvesting I friggin load up! Point being there is a time and a place for tames. There is an economy based on tames and breeding. I've interacted with more people due to tames than any other element in the game. Taking that away is taking a pillar of the game out. This game is huge and has depth. There is so many things to figure out and utilize in this game. To be short sighted and want to only sail around and shoot things from your ship seems elementary to me. Don't get me wrong, it's a pay off from hard work but to have the best stuff to do that with, you need to utilize the tools provided in the game and tames being one of them. How quickly can you get to the ocean floor on the back of a crab? Almost instantly. If you're freezing, jump on a wolf. If your over heating, jump on an ostrich. Instead of beating on rocks like a cave man, do it in style with a rhino. Gathering and moving materials without tames just makes the game more simple and more of a tedious grind. Tames bring a whole other large element to the game. Why wouldn't you want them in the game? Its more enjoyable collecting materials imo than fn around with that damn market. I have 10 collecting and trading and funneling materials to a central base and I spend more time turning on farms and traveling to them so they don't decay and messing with trades than just playing the game. I'm losing more and more interest in the game messing with them because it has turned into a job. Tames are fun and useful. Bottom line. More so than these dumb pre-made ships. Leave the tames, lose the pre-made ships imo!

Edited by Motor
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Motor said:

I also took the survey and found myself typing, "give these pre-made ships value. They don't offer anything i can't get from building my own" for 80% of the questions. I can build an all mythical ship that repairs itself when anchored. Why would i want this other crap. The fun is in getting the mythical stuff, getting high lvl crows, getting dolphins, using maxed out components and designing it to fit my needs. Pre-builts are overpriced, boring, slow, un-customizable, worthless floating toilets. And on top of that, even at 50% more damage on common cannons, it doesn't compare to the mythical ones I've built that are 150%+ more. That renders the kraken perk useless. So all you really get are no pros and all cons.

I dont know if you realised they started to fix this allready, they reduced runs on BPS. To my knowlage better connons still comes in crafts of 1-3.
Shipyards still come in crafts of one etc. Planks and gunports and decks?
Ergo, it will be way harder to craft a better ship. But you are right it gives you motivation to play the game, getting everything together instead of killing some rhinos/squids.

6 hours ago, Motor said:

250 BP with 17% bonus isnt near 300. its (250-100)*1.17 +100. And thats your max bonus, most will still be <260 saddly.
You also will have ~14.4% max bonus as level 90, so crafing a 270% will be lucky allready.

You find, kite, kill and harvest the hydra in one minute?

5 hours ago, Motor said:

(Official pve) Unless they do something with h11 monopoly on twigs,

There is no twigs monopoly, there are on like 6 other islands as ground leafs. People have farms there gathering millions, you can gether with bear etc.

For PVE:
Apart from my correction here, i also think you are right, you want to have progression, this game needs progression from my pov.
But it looks like they aim for faster setting up and then hope that fighting neighbours is the motivation to keep going.

I really disliked the maintaining of the farms/warhouse/markets. I didnt even needed all the stuff that got gathered. If i wanted to build someting, everything was just there.