ScarlettSwagger

Lions that like tropical heat in the tundra 🤯

So yesterday my husband and I spent hours sailing our 3 lions all over blackwood in a futile attempt to breed them. We settled in the tundra (David Attenborough would be scandalised) and proceeded to build a lion oven. Because well they like it hot in the frost 🤭. After hours of fire, forge and torch building. Deforesting half the island for fuel and a few arguements we got literally no where! Couldn't get the lions to breed no matter what we did. So my question to the wider community is - has anyone actually managed to get babies from lions?? And if you did how on earth and more importantly where on earth. All suggestions are welcome. 

@ScarlettSwagger

Details

Regular Map (Maelstrom) Tundra PvE

Breeding Area (Top Floor)

1. Two story (4 walls high) w vaulted ceilings. Top floor was breed area. Also I suggest building it 2-3 foundations above ground level so snakes can't glitch through the wall. Quick and dirty way is to make all inner foundations thatch and wrap it in wood. Stone IS NOT necessary.

2. One tile in from the outer wall I placed wooden doorframes on 3 sides of the 2nd floor.

3. Between the outer wall and inner perimeter doorframes I placed as many campfires as i could fit

4. I left enough room on the entry wall for a preservation bag w ice, a water barrel and large storage box for saddles and various crap.

5. Used a small gate w ramps for entry. Whole breeding area was about 8x6 tiles, maybe? Plus about 8x6 for the conga line outside.

6. I was able to place the stud in the middle w a female on each side and breed 2 at a time. As my stable of female lions grew (~20) I would line them up towards the entry in a conga line and rotate until i got to the first one impregnated. This resulted in ~2 births every 3-5 minutes to give ample sorting time.

*** Very Important Bottom Floor ***

1. Raised the floor 2 foundations using foundations in the center, ceiling tiles on the edge and added half stairs.

2. Crawled around and spread ~6 campfires AROUND THE CENTER DIRECTLY UNDER the mating area. I usually only needed the center 4 or so. Leave space to crawl between to light them and refill.

3. When built correctly the campfires from the bottom floor will be ~touching the bottom of the second floor. In real life it would burn down 😂, but, in Atlas the heat from the campfires underneath radiates safely to the 2nd floor breeding area.

Few pro tips

A. However much raw meat you think you'll need, triple it.

B. Park Bears away from the feeding troughs or they'll eat the meat for the maturing lions.

C. Lots of ice and preserving bags

D. I used salted meat in the feed troughs since it lasts 8 times longer than raw.

E. If your doing this for resale most buyers will want tigers for the swipe and bleed.

F. Don't freak out about the hot and cold icons above the new borns, just check their HPs, usually they'll be fine when you get practice. At night the temperature drops so I would often get cold icons but they rarely lost more than 2HPs out of 35 and immediately healed when the temperature returned to normal.

G. Once I had my litter sorted i drug them to the corner and usually operated w 4 1st floor campfires and ~7 2nd story fires.

H. Don't forget to disable wandering, follow, actiivate ignore group whistles and set them to passive.

I. Occasionally, in addition to all the aforementioned campfires, I had to use ~8 torches on a switch, placed on the doorframes, to get breeding to occur. Cold front maybe?

Final thing, this system is 2+months old.

Good luck. 🙂

Edited by Ranger1k
  • Thanks 1

the important point is that you play on blackwood. Even blackwood is a official map it was developed by only one person(no Grape Shot team member) and had several bugs. It was never finished so biomes and temperature etc may not work as intended [...] you will not find any fish on that map...

• Thanks 1

Thank you so much for your advice my hubby and I will have a go at that and see if we get the pitter patter of flappy paws 😃 an upgrade to our lion cooker sounds like fun. Many thanks

• Like 1

In terms of fish. There are fish around some of the islands. But frankly who wants to be slashing away underwater when Sharks pitch up to the party. Best way we've found is head to Kings Arena, tame yourself a ton of kitty cats and get them hunting fish for you. You'd be surprised how much fish they can provide. Make sure you've a ready supply of salt for preserving 😊

• Haha 1

@ScarlettSwagger

Few more tidbits...

1. The meat consumption is insane going from juvenile to adult. Can't remember if its 5 or 7 imprints, anyway, i would FILL 2 troughs with salted meat every 8 hours (12000 meat) for cub batches of ~8, still lost several batches due to starvation just by oversleeping a couple of hours. I was just hobby breeding but I'm 100% serious, 3 or more filled troughs recommended per 8 hours depending on litter size.

2. I parked my breeding females out of range with the bears also for the most part, once they're mature the food requirement isn't bad at all.

3. Can't remember if i raised the bottom floor/ campfire area EXACTLY 2 foundations but I think that's what it was. The important part is getting the campfires right below the mating/ birthing area to radiate upwards though...

So basically just be aware they require ridiculous amounts of food growing from juvenile to adult. Was VERY fun though, some had ~750 HP, STAM, WT, w 200+ melee. Some of my dedicated sidekicks had 1000+HPS (all pretty much fully imprinted). Also I was just a part time breeder, fyi.

Once again good luck, warned ya atleast TWICE about the food 😜

Edited by Ranger1k

@Ranger1k well we took your advice and built a revised lion oven based on your plan and I'm very pleased to say we ended up with 2 healthy babies at the end of it. Once again many thanks. Couldn't have done it without your input. 😊