Slash78

Paying to build your own ship...

An old complaint for many of you, but I decided to check out the state of the game.

Made a character, started up single player, jumped in. Built a small shipyard. Now a this point I often skip a sloop and go straight for a schooner. Look at the resource requirements. Wood, Fiber, Metal...5,000 gold??!?! Now I had heard about this, but this is truly my first time experience. Standing next to my shipyard still in cloth clothing, don't even have walls around my bed/campfire/smith/storage box and I'm think where the hell I'm gonna get 5k gold.

Seriously, who thought this was a good idea? Did big companies have too much gold so they need another gold sink? Did you think "you know, it just isn't hard enough to make boats in a game we want players to focus on ships and the sea." 

I remember the devs blabbing on about want to get players "out to sea and into the action as quickly as possible". That was a lie, wasn't it? Or maybe the game devs want the game to fail because if it does it's a massive tax right off?

• Thanks 1

I don't see the logic in it but then I can't find the logic in many things they do.

I suffered in the 5k grind and left the game for a while I was so bored. Then I got a warehouse.

Clearly they want you to get a warehouse and harvester. A few weeks later you have endless gold. If you were on pve and not single player, I'd give you 5000 gold. Now granted I'm kind of a power grinder but I have almost 400,000 gold and don't know what to do with it. Now not active due to the someday to come wipe. I hate the idea of working for progress that will be wiped. So much I can't bring myself to log on for more than resetting timers. I keep asking myself why I waste time here.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Gemini Five said:

I don't see the logic in it but then I can't find the logic in many things they do.

I suffered in the 5k grind and left the game for a while I was so bored. Then I got a warehouse.

Clearly they want you to get a warehouse and harvester. A few weeks later you have endless gold. If you were on pve and not single player, I'd give you 5000 gold. Now granted I'm kind of a power grinder but I have almost 400,000 gold and don't know what to do with it. Now not active due to the someday to come wipe. I hate the idea of working for progress that will be wiped. So much I can't bring myself to log on for more than resetting timers. I keep asking myself why I waste time here.

So...because of their broken passive income system, they have to come up with additional gold sinks?

Passive systems that literally NOONE asked for and that take gameplay loops out of player hands. I get the tax bank. Because for there to be income someone has to be doing something in game. But other than that...why?

They killing that game with pointless content adding. same BS they do in ARK instead fixing bugs what have been here at start lol.  About  ship building its like i have to pay money for my own toilet if i wanna pee. 

1 hour ago, Hexaron said:

They killing that game with pointless content adding. same BS they do in ARK instead fixing bugs what have been here at start lol.  About  ship building its like i have to pay money for my own toilet if i wanna pee. 

I'm surprised that after taming there isn't a pop-up saying "Ok, that will be 1k gold as well".

• Haha 1

The sad thing is, I wanted to start a boat building business early on in Atlas .cos I enjoy building them so much. Absolutely no way I could do that now. Not with the gold price on them as well as time and resources. Also, don't be so hasty with the remark about paying for tames, it might give them ideas 😞

• Sad 1

I know my opinion it totally unpopular, but I kinda like the idea of putting some efforts to earning new ships. I mean, there once was old Russian pirate game called "Corsairs" and you newer start in with Linen Ship. You start with bummer "Barkas" or "Tartan" boat with 4 smallest cannons each side, and had to earn money with trading, some questing, or robbing merchants sailing around.

Of course you couldn't fight big guys in the beginning, and it was long way full of hardships. You had to earn your right to be a captain of big and strong ship. And that was the journey.

The are two bad things of it in Atlas tho.

First - lack of ways to earning golds. Trading routes are works but with current warehouses radius - there are just 15 warehouses around big size island, and this is totally no fascinating way to put 3-4 building and see money appears in your storage. Treasures are good but yet monotonous all the same and only doable by tames. I would say they should definitely increase amount of gold earning from high level damned ships, but... with current stern shotgun meta it's no big deal to sink lvl-60 damned galley with just sloop or schooner... (but compared to automated gold appearing in warehouse - it's just the hell alot of efforts lol). Whales - boring kiting. Flotsams and sunken ships - those are just approach, dive and loot... so.

I mean it could be really cool if some towns appeared everywhere, and there were like trading guys there, buying and selling stuff you can't use, but just load your storages and deliver it to somewhere. With different prices, we could use this trading activities (and of course in pvp players could hunt trading ships for wares to sell). Also some delivery quest (like sail 6 grids away and gather specific resources and bring them to quest giver) would be great, as well as some quests to fight all kind of high level guys in Goldens (and those guys could also drop golds...).

Unfortunately DEVs won't do that. (And I'm guessing, it's not about game's vision or something. It's about they just don't know how to code it, or they are just lack of resources to do so).

And second. A lot of ways to lose your ship out of ingame battles. In fact. I didn't lose a single ship in real fight! But I loose like hundreds of them to game glitches. My first 5K schooner was sunk after 15 minutes sailing. I just got game crash and game didn't let me in until my ship was destroyed. Camping borders damned ships, some glitches with ocean bottom, trolls in Kraken fight... ship can just eject you to the ocean near damned ship. And yet now all those claiming issues. What devs really should do, is to let us buy our ship back after it sunk. For example, we could pay like 100g per day to some freeport shaman, and after our ship is sunk, within some period of time, this shaman can summon it back for... like 10% of it's price. 500g for schooner. Totally empty, with no crew, but same design and stuff (like high level parts) and same level.

But... yet again, I doubt they could introduce this kind of stuff. Because they need to code game mechanics for that, not just add some stuff. Not sure if they can do that (sigh).

Didn't play any sailing game except old Russian Corsairs game (which had some pretty cool mechanics). But... I mean I didn't come up with some rare unique ideas. Those are somewhere near. Like all trading stuff... well for example something this like is in Star Citizen (my brother plays this one, and earning money for new space ship by trading). That's what old captains did alot in sailing ages. That's what pirates hunted a lot as well...

And right now in Atlas... we still hearing words about pirate MMO but all devs introduces is... tames stuff. Building and automated trading stuff. Some inland prefab building stuff and claiming inland territories stuff... still waiting for anything pirates related : ))

Edited by George Catcher

4 minutes ago, George Catcher said:

Didn't play any sailing game except old Russian Corsairs game (which had some pretty cool mechanics). But... I mean I didn't come up with some rare unique ideas. Those are somewhere near. Like all trading stuff... well for example something this like is in Star Citizen (my brother plays this one, and earning money for new space ship by trading). That's what old captains did alot in sailing ages. That's what pirates hunted a lot as well...

And right now in Atlas... we still hearing words about pirate MMO but all devs introduces is... tames stuff. Building and automated trading stuff. Some inland prefab building stuff and claiming inland territories stuff... still waiting for anything pirates related : ))

While I'm always up for more tames, not too happy about the prefab buildings. Automating what players should be doing and providing passive incomes is the opposite of what they should be doing. The really need to add more ways to earn active income. Where it be hauling cargo, hunting NPCs, replacing the Vendors in freeports with markets and have those markets spawn missions for commodities they are low on.

Also think they need to both make Freeports more central to game play and even add non-freeport Ports.

• Like 1

they want the game to be not fun but addictive 🙂

Edited by chukiki

1 hour ago, Micha117 said:

Server H3 is down and no one cares this is since over 15 min ... great

Been down for almost 12 hours.  Noticed it yesterday

17 hours ago, chukiki said:

they want the game to be not fun but addictive 🙂

And judging by the low player count (and how low it's been for a long time) they are succeeding on either account.

On 3/24/2021 at 11:08 AM, Slash78 said:

So...because of their broken passive income system, they have to come up with additional gold sinks?

Passive systems that literally NOONE asked for and that take gameplay loops out of player hands. I get the tax bank. Because for there to be income someone has to be doing something in game. But other than that...why?

No... I'm commenting on how out of balance and to some degree how uninteresting the whole thing has become. A path set for the game that I can't understand. I am pointing out that I think it's broken.

As in why does it now need to be so hard, as to no longer be fun... then if and only if you get this building... nothing related to gold is ever hard again. It's broken.