Sign in to follow this  
ATLAS

Q&A WITH THE DEVS - ASK A PIRATE DAY #9

We're also talking about introducing some pre WW1 dirty industrial content.

While I don't know precisely what you're planning, I will just say this...

When I was a kid, I always wished games could have more to them. Alas, there's only so much devs could fit within the technical limitations of the time.

Today, that's changed, and I more frequently find myself wishing developers would try to include less with their games. Watch the tryouts for Master Chef and Gordon Ramsay will often criticize contestants for trying to add components to a dish that, without the addition, had focus and worked well on the plate.

• Like 1

Some advice for the devs, piggybacking off of @NewLexican

From The Art of Worldly Wisdom by Baltasar Gracian (Christopher Maurer translation)

#27 Better to be intensive than extensive. Perfection isn't quantity, but QUALITY.

#57 Thoughtful people are safer. Do something WELL and that is quick enough... Only perfection is noticed and only success endures.

#66 Take care to make things turn out well. Some people scruple more over pointing things in the right direction than in successfully reaching their goals... It is an art to set aside art when you must do so to bring things to a happy conclusion.

#91 Never act unless you think it prudent to do so. ...It is dangerous to undertake something when you doubt its wisdom. it would be safer to not act at all. Prudence refuses to deal in probability: it ALWAYS walks under the midday sun of reason.

#92 Transcendent wisdom. This is the first and highest rule in acting and speaking... An ounce of prudence is worth a pound of cleverness. It's more a matter of walking surely than courting vulgar applause.

#136 Size up the matter. Take pulse of the business at hand. Many see the trees but not the forest, or bark up the wrong tree, speaking endlessly, reasoning uselessly, without going to the pith of the matter. They go round and round, tiring themselves and us, and never get to what is important. They waste time and patience on what it would be better to leave alone and later there is no time for what they have left.

#147 Don't be inaccessible. ...The person who doesn't listen is a hopeless fool. Even the most independent of people ought to heed friendly advice, and even sovereigns are happy to learn from others... We all need a friend who feels free to scold us and give us advice... We need the faithful mirror of a confidant. If we value that mirror it will set us free from deceit.

Post is getting too long. Zero clue if your listening anyway.

Good luck.

On 3/26/2021 at 9:34 AM, Grayson said:

This is the PVE vs. PVP argument from PVE player 

I’ve started and refuse to play pvp anymore I’ve done pvp in various games since AOL. I’m tired of pvp I want a game when I can go play walk away for a few days if I want or have to. Then come back and just feed animals then play when I can. What you pvp players don’t get or even want to get is some of us actually have lives, work, families and have no interest in being “on-call”. Some of us can only do a few hours a week not 6 or more hours a day. I refuse to have a game dictate my life and for many of you, if you want that to happen, go for it. You want to do away with pve then you’ll loose the game entirely. It’s that simple. The pve players are the most consistent users of this game. But we are also the ones the most willing to leave a game entirely to find something similar to their play style. If you drop pve or combine pve few if any may follow but a majority will just leave. So even if it’s a third of the current player base no sane company can tolerate a permanent 1/3 loss of player base in a game that’s struggling to get by now.

Wow, what an arrogant and uneducated statement. Projecting much?

I assure you, we have lives, families, jobs, sleep needs, just like PvE players do. We have the same general time available to play each day as you do. We are just more well adjusted people who don't lose sleep at the thought of our make believe base getting raided. Its part of the game. You know that player generated content they always speak of? If I don't make the base you cant raid it. Ever wonder why it sucks dick to play PvE? Ever feel like some of the content is missing? or shouldn't even be there to begin with?

The most consistent users of the game? Lol, by what metric, you just pulled that out of your ass. You certainly are not the ones most willing to leave AND the most consistent players at the same time. That's called an oxymoron. 

If a game ever dictates you life, the problem is not with the game. Its a mental situation that you need to deal with.

Rest assured, if ALL of the PvE players left (they wont), the game would not die. 

1. The game has not released yet, so it has technically not been "born" therefore it cannot yet "die". (shhh don't attack my metaphor trumpists)

2. The game is a PvP focused game weather or not you want to acknowledge it. Ultimately the PvE crowd as it currently exists does not concern the development, release, or success of this game. If you disagree with me, I invite you to go read over the last several patches and dev notes.

TLDR: Worst non-argument ever. Very poor representation form the PvE crowd.

@Grayson

I don't agree w everything @Chucksteak says about you but I will offer some possibilities to consider.

1. Single Player/ Co Op may provide the experience your craving, if they ever manage to get it sorted.

2. Same for private servers, once again, if they ever get the mechanics stabilized.

3. Worst case vote with your feet. I'm on hiatus myself and theres plenty of games to choose from.

Final thing, I definitely flipped my shit when they pulled the "surprise-wipe-no-more-NA PvE" for season 3, so I sympathize w your frustrations. I don't understand why they don't realize the importance of catering to BOTH play styles in a ONE CHARACTER experience. Pretty simple.. Some days I wanna PvP, some days I wanna PvE and some days I don't want to log in at all. Not rocket science, unless they cut a deal that pays per customer hours played, I heard thats a thing.. Dunno.

Next few months will be interesting to watch either way if one is sufficiently detached..

Attention Atlas Developers. 

I am a PVE player and I used to play Atlas a bit (~1,150 hours). I coaxed about 10 of my fellow PVE gamer friends to get the game and some of them have many hours as well.  I was practically the games biggest fan.  The ability to build a ship and have deep customization options, the ability to practically explore a world, a rewarding blueprint system, tames, land building, etc.  It was the perfect game for survival PVE with a pirate theme.  No other game pirate themed game comes close.  But all of my Atlas playing friends and myself,  have pretty much rage quit the game for a handful of reasons.  Reasons include game-breaking bugs PVE-game breaking choices that you've made.  A few of these are: Losing spawn locations in the Ocean map, charging gold for ships, Warehouse/Farmhouse turning invisible, Blackwood map problems including falling through water like it was air, dying from heat waves even though you are submersed in water.  There are mods that attempt to fix these problems, but Atlas crashes with mods loaded for a variety of reasons.  Many PVE players are in this boat, and I think you can see that in the steam concurrent players charts.  Weekend play is less than 3k concurrent players at any point in time - The lowest its ever been.  You're "vision" is killing the game - slowly.  Your numbers are supposed to be going up during early access, not down.  I don't think you can neglect the PVE crowd.  It is in your best interest to bring PVE back.  There was a time when Atlas had adequate content for PVE and would work enough to have fun.  We found bug work-arounds, we lived in cold areas, we knew when the ladders were not going to work, we new the areas in Blackwood that would cause problems and stayed out of them, we added mods to allow submarine use on Blackwood.  But then, your updates beginning in late 2020 started to introduce more problems, so much so, that it was impossible to have fun.  I don't usually write to developers like this because usually i don't care enough about a game. But this game has the ingredients to be one of the best PVE games ever and i had to speak up.  Hopefully you are listening.  

stevek

• Like 1

On 4/1/2021 at 10:48 AM, Chucksteak said:

Wow, what an arrogant and uneducated statement. Projecting much?

I assure you, we have lives, families, jobs, sleep needs, just like PvE players do. We have the same general time available to play each day as you do. We are just more well adjusted people who don't lose sleep at the thought of our make believe base getting raided. Its part of the game. You know that player generated content they always speak of? If I don't make the base you cant raid it. Ever wonder why it sucks dick to play PvE? Ever feel like some of the content is missing? or shouldn't even be there to begin with?

The most consistent users of the game? Lol, by what metric, you just pulled that out of your ass. You certainly are not the ones most willing to leave AND the most consistent players at the same time. That's called an oxymoron. 

If a game ever dictates you life, the problem is not with the game. Its a mental situation that you need to deal with.

Rest assured, if ALL of the PvE players left (they wont), the game would not die. 

1. The game has not released yet, so it has technically not been "born" therefore it cannot yet "die". (shhh don't attack my metaphor trumpists)

2. The game is a PvP focused game weather or not you want to acknowledge it. Ultimately the PvE crowd as it currently exists does not concern the development, release, or success of this game. If you disagree with me, I invite you to go read over the last several patches and dev notes.

TLDR: Worst non-argument ever. Very poor representation form the PvE crowd.

🥱

• Haha 1

So... as far as we didn't hear a word from devs for a while, they preparing something big?

(I mean, they don't work a month to introduce a croc-tame don't they? Because if so then game will go form EA to release state in like 70 years lol 😆)

Y-y-y-y-yea guys, what's the point?

JbGwG4L.jpg

I mean I'm glad, but you do realize that next patch will bring WIPE and we all will start over right? So most of players don't play and wait for this wipe and those who do play - will lose all, no matter how many they will gather with those X-es?

Also the question is - will this patch happen before 23rd and we'll star over with X5 EXP (I welcome that but every1 who star right after patch will level fast and place their warehouses), or after 23rd and then there wont be any points of those x-x-x-x-x...?

Edited by George Catcher

11 hours ago, George Catcher said:

[...]

Lulz... i just did not check the forum for 2 weeks now and nothing happened. The wipe does not come so far... now it's announced that it will not be wiped until end of April. Some weeks ago there where huge ship battle videos on youtube because PvP Players started to get rid of what they had crafted in this season.

This new map must be awesome and i guess all islands templates will be reworked... we will get a complete new Atlas... i am so exited!!!! 1111 (well Maelstorm was just a changed layout of the templates where you look on a former coal rock, hold H and it shows a crystal but you farm a gem) Well so yes Devs take your time and surprise us with a new map that you tested and which will have no main bugs. I don't care if there will be some issues with the ground/surface that you can fall through it or such things common in the unreal map engine.

I am also very exited to see if you can fix/improve the lawless land claiming. If you can fix that decay timers will be shown correctly. If there is no 12 hours decay time on structures anymore. If you will fix gathering building BPs work as intended(increaed farming rate and not stopping at common weight when this is increased). I would appreciuate if you could set/choose the farming rate of the different resources in a farmhouse. I also would appreciate if a compnay would only have 1 farmhouse per island which would include the warehouse and alllow more players access to this one due to this change. I would appreciate if you could improve the markets QoL and adjust it that there is no need to demolish the market once you have send more than 90 trading invitations. I still don't have trading logs since the lawless claim patch and the buffer overflow issues... where is the hot ifx?

I could talk about Dolphin taming but i found out lately once you have a submarine you can kill all sharks around and than grapple the Dolphin for a wild taming ride. Got 4 of them so it's actually working. But Dolphins can't swim backwards so for fish farming i am using a bear instead of a dolphin because you can't harvest the fish after killing... All my Dolphins are parked under water in a shark safe cage but due to their turning radius and only forward swiming i can't place them up in the water. Luckily they don't need to breath.

So this are only bugs about the latest updates that are not getting fixed or improved so far and only considering the PVE part... so not to mention older bugs which list is still very long for example BPs Drop rate and quality... i spend about 40 hours in Golden Age to get an improved ship for Kraken fights but i ended up with a masterwork ship... no legendary or mystical parts(and if found some with no worthy stats better than my masterwork) but all resources for crafting available.

But yes, I am exited what you can show us after another 1,5 month of silence. Btw. some where you posted that your Community Managers will not log into their forum accounts after they did the first post @Nami@Chismebeard... so maybe you log into the Atlas Developer Account and answer sometime here and just simply putting your name below the answer?

• Like 1

@George Catcher & @Nacona

Just curious, where is that 5x event Pic from? They still think other message platforms are more important than their Official Forums? Really?

Going to play the other video game thats earned my business.

Sidenote, from here on I refuse to refer to them as "seasons", they're fucking WIPES because the developers can't get their shit straight. Period. I'm losing count what will the next wipe be #4 or #5?

Edited by Ranger1k