Titan88

Treasure maps from bottles

Hi and thank you in advance

premises: 

- i'm running an official-like cluster 11x11 on my Pc (121 Regions in total, each region need an instance up and running)

- i can't afford to run at once more than 9 instances of Server (nine regions) + ATLAS the game + Browser

- when you collect a bottle if the map inside is related to a region whose instance (of server) is not running, you will not receive any item

- we do like a lot the treasure hunting and all

in expectation of a prompt resolution from the Devs, is there a way to address that in some way?

Example: cheat command to get the treasure map's cell whose instance is reffering to?

A.

Hi friendo, I am having the same problem myself. I play by myself on a 15x15 map. I rarely have more than 2 servers up and going at the same time let alone all 225.

I am trying to flesh out a sort of workaround right now. Every time I pick up a treasure bottle, I write down what the quality is on a list IF it ends up being a dud. I am trying to figure out some method to using admin commands to generate them later.

The command is:   cheat givetreasuremap 1 0 0    for a 1 quality treasure map (common)

But here's the deal, if I change the 2nd value to a higher number like 1 for instance, it has an effect on the quality. I haven't figured out exactly how these values work together. Only that higher = better = more grids away. I believe the 2nd value works a lot like generating a regular item in common/fine/journeyman etc, but it has to be paired up with an appropriate 1st value in order to get a hit.

Example: I used "givetreasuremap 3.6 0 0" at least 30x while I had about 5-6 grids open. Nothing hit. But when I used "givetreasuremap 3.6 1 0" I got a hit on my current grid in one shot.

That's all the information I have, sailor. If you come up with any new strats, please let me/us all know!

Hmm. If I understand the problem correctly you guys are having trouble with bottles not giving maps for a grid that's offline? That sounds like a sensible conclusion, but all of our server grids are always online and we still have about 1 in 3 bottles are "empty" and don't give a map. Is this maybe the same problem you are having? I always assumed that it was the way it was supposed to be - there's a chance that some bottles are empty. Maybe not? 

15 hours ago, Captain Dingbat said:

Hmm. If I understand the problem correctly you guys are having trouble with bottles not giving maps for a grid that's offline? That sounds like a sensible conclusion, but all of our server grids are always online and we still have about 1 in 3 bottles are "empty" and don't give a map. Is this maybe the same problem you are having? I always assumed that it was the way it was supposed to be - there's a chance that some bottles are empty. Maybe not? 

Hey, Cap'n.

Yeah, if the bottle rolls for a map in an offline grid, it comes up empty. In your case, you're saying all of the grids are up, which makes me believe that the bottle is trying to roll for a grid far enough away that it doesn't exist in your world. So if you are running a 2x2 and you roll a 12 quality map, it's looking for a grid that is maybe 3 grids away, but that doesn't exist so it comes up blank.

As far as how common the empty maps are, there should NEVER be an empty map if everything is running properly. I've never played PvP or PvE, but at least in singleplayer, you get a hit every single time.

On 2/17/2021 at 6:31 PM, Aquagoth said:

Hi friendo, I am having the same problem myself. I play by myself on a 15x15 map. I rarely have more than 2 servers up and going at the same time let alone all 225.

I am trying to flesh out a sort of workaround right now. Every time I pick up a treasure bottle, I write down what the quality is on a list IF it ends up being a dud. I am trying to figure out some method to using admin commands to generate them later.

The command is:   cheat givetreasuremap 1 0 0    for a 1 quality treasure map (common)

But here's the deal, if I change the 2nd value to a higher number like 1 for instance, it has an effect on the quality. I haven't figured out exactly how these values work together. Only that higher = better = more grids away. I believe the 2nd value works a lot like generating a regular item in common/fine/journeyman etc, but it has to be paired up with an appropriate 1st value in order to get a hit.

Example: I used "givetreasuremap 3.6 0 0" at least 30x while I had about 5-6 grids open. Nothing hit. But when I used "givetreasuremap 3.6 1 0" I got a hit on my current grid in one shot.

That's all the information I have, sailor. If you come up with any new strats, please let me/us all know!

Okay, to add to my initial report:

It looks like I was wrong and the 2nd and 3rd values in the command do nothing. In fact, you can just leave them out and use "cheat givetreasuremap (value)".

But the values and grids are not as random as it may seem at first. Some values will only work on a North grid, but never a South grid even if they are both 1 grid away.

Example: a 2.5 almost always hits 1 grid West of your current position. But it isn't until you get to 4 that it starts hitting East, also 1 grid away.

This "non-randomness" stays true even when you get to higher values and grids which are further away. So 7s will usually roll @ SSWW or SEE, 4-3 grids away, but almost never North.

Just some interesting info in case it helps anyone with this annoying treasure map bug.

that is very interesting!

have you verified or we can assume that givetreasuremap works the same way in single player as it does in multiplayer?

if it were, starting from this assumption, we could apply the scientific method and do in-depth tests in single player always obtaining results and not empty bottles. Data in hand we can use it to start the server connected to regions we need for the spawn!

6 hours ago, Titan88 said:

that is very interesting!

have you verified or we can assume that givetreasuremap works the same way in single player as it does in multiplayer?

if it were, starting from this assumption, we could apply the scientific method and do in-depth tests in single player always obtaining results and not empty bottles. Data in hand we can use it to start the server connected to regions we need for the spawn!

I'm in the slow, long process of figuring how this all works. I'll keep adding info as I come across it, but I should have something here within the next week. I was able to scrounge the 225 seas for enough gold to make 3 schooners (btw, don't sail at night in the fog straight into a horde of SotD and don't face check icebergs) but a brig at 19k a copy is going to require some treasure hunting!

Right now, I think you might be correct, sadly. I have a feeling singleplayer and dedicated servers work a bit differently with the givetreasuremap command. I still haven't been able to generate a map past Fine quality, and it looks like my initial findings in singleplayer don't quite match what I'm finding in DS. So it's going to be trial and error!

Will update soon.

K. When my findings are a bit more complete, I'll make my own thread. But here are some preliminary findings.

1st: decimals WORK. Meaning 2.1 will give a different final quality/location as compared to 2.1657. Just like the rest of Atlas, the game uses mostly hidden fractions of values to make its calculations.

2nd: I will be using info discovered while in my personal dedicated server rather than singleplayer. NN = North North = 2 grids north of current location. SWW = South West West = 3 grids away from current location, 1 South and 2 West.

3rd: I am basing everything on 20 rolls to give somewhat accurate percentages. Also, I'm going by 0.1 values. Like I stated above, a 3.5 will be slightly different than 3.55.

4th: Don't use these values as the absolute word of Poseidon. Sometimes 2.3 or 2.4 WON'T be on your current grid. But for the most part, these numbers will be fairly accurate.

0-2.4 = (Current) grid

2.5 = 100% N

2.6 = 85% N / 15% (Current)

2.7 = 75% N / 25% (Current)

2.8 = 15% N / 5% W / 80% (Current)

2.9 = 20% N / 40% W / 40% (Current)

3.0 = 55% N / 45% W

3.1 = 85% N / 5% W / 5% (Current) / 5% ???

3.2 = 40% N / 5% W / 5% (Current) / 50% ???

3.3-3.7 = ???

3.8 = 95% W / 5% E

3.9 = ???

4.0 = 90% N / 10% ???

So as you can see, Atlas gives some wonky map rolls. I only had 5 grids opened for this round of testing (Current, North, South, East and West). I didn't get even 1 hit on the South grid at these values and only 1 on East. The ???, of course, means IDK/didn't get a hit. So I'll be revisiting those values in the future. The main gist of it is that it certainly isn't a random X number of grids away. It seems to favor N, then West, then East and finally South in relation to your current grid, but it's not a hard rule. 2.7 had 75% N but by 2.8 it turned into 80% current grid again.

Anyways, happy sailing, mateys!

Well... an update to my update...

I lied. Disregard all the findings posted above, lol. As soon as I moved 1 grid East and tried to confirm my initial findings, it was all wrong.

I'll continue messing around with it to try and find a pattern, but so far the highest value I've been able to get with the givetreasuremap command is a 5.5. At 5.6 and above, I've never gotten a single hit.

FOR SURE patterns are:

1. Decimals past the first place are taken into consideration. Ex: 5 is different from 5.56 & 2 is not the same as 2.23.

2. In general, the higher the value attempted the farther the treasure map grid will be located. Anything under 2 is almost always in your current grid. Also, if you try to roll something absurdly high like "givetreasuremap 200" it will be a mythical in your current grid.

3. Atlas does seem to prioritize N > W > E > S. I've still yet to get a roll on a grid directly South of my current position.

4. It is DEFINITELY not random as far as where it will be located. X number of grids away is not sufficient enough to explain it. Ex: If 2 grids away, it will likely always be in a certain direction, such as 95% of the time @ NW instead of SE.

The only way for sure to get a hit on all your maps is to have a large # of servers (like 11x11) AND to have them all running at the same time. After that, I'm not quite sure at this point. I haven't seen the definite pattern yet, but I'll keep an eye on it. If I figure anything concrete out, I'll make sure to post it here. Doesn't take long to let you guys know, and I'm trying to figure it out for myself anyways, so no biggie. I REALLY want to get above a green map for treasure tho. Pretty frustrating right now. And it's not like Rapeshot is going to give us any hints.

Until then, here is a screenshot of the last thing I've ever seen after going hunting for whales.

orca7.jpg