I need halp, lads!

This update yesterday (2/10) screwed me over big time. My entire map is revealed, no fog of war. I am playing on a 15x15 personal dedicated server. Since the update yesterday, the individual servers are now getting these new lines auto-added under GameUserSetting.ini:

[/Game/PrimalEarth/CoreBlueprints/TestGameMode.TestGameMode_C]
bUseWildPirateCamps=False
PositiveTradeEventCooldownPeriod=7200.000000
GeneralTradeEventChance=0.700000
PositiveTradeEventChance=0.500000
bUseSettlementClaims=True
bDisableFogOfWar=True
bUseNewStructureFoundationSupportChecks=True
RemoveItemsOverCraftingSkillBonus=0.600000
MaximumCraftingSkillBonus=0.600000
OldPlayerDataMaxXP=877438.000000

Even when I manually change and save these settings, as soon as the server starts up, it gets overwritten to this^

Until now, my fog of war was working perfectly fine. I had to explore to uncover the map, just like I wanted. Now ALL map revealed, and every island has this stupid settlement points number on it.

Would really appreciate some halp, frens.

• Haha 1

Help guys!

This NO Fog of war is freaking killing me!

I can't turn it back on! I just want to be a damn explorer! Is that so much to ask for?

Why will no one help me?!

I have a cute piggo avatar! Since we will never get to explore the stars, I just want to explore a fake, buggy Ocean! HEEEEELLLLLPPPPP!!!!!!!!!

Sigh... I guess no one knows then.

I tried going back to singleplayer.

Pros: Fog of war works, islands have actual names, wild pirates work.

Cons: almost all discovery points disabled so no motivation to explore, mega-gay 11x11 map instead of 15x15, is a bugged out mess of shit that is simply not playable. Tried to cross to another grid, crashed, now absolutely cannot cross into another grid without crashing AND losing my ship and crew.

Strangely enough, singleplayer was actually in a better state over a year ago when I played. It ran smoother and I never had a game-ending bug like this. Guess I'll just deal the no FoW and no wild pirates...

Yep! This happened to us too, and even changing the setting back did not restore the fog of war, even when we forced it. It seems like once it's clear, the game thinks you've explored everywhere. We learned the hard way to make sure your ini files are read-only at all times 
They added a couple of things without telling us that screwed us over. We were really pissed. If you keep your ini files read only they can't change it after you edit it.

If you want help creating a batch file to open/close them all at once, let me know.

Edited by Captain Dingbat

The problem I'm having is even when I change the setting it just gets overwritten as soon as I start up the server. Are you saying that if I changed all ini files to read-only, it would stop that automatic overwriting process?

Then all I would have to do is find the fog of war file, erase it and start fresh. And I believe the FoW info is stored locally.

Have you been able to successfully kill this [bDisableFogofWar=True] command in GameUserSettings?

Welp... guess I'll back everything up and give it a shot. Will update whether successful or not. Wish me luck!

4 hours ago, Aquagoth said:

The problem I'm having is even when I change the setting it just gets overwritten as soon as I start up the server. Are you saying that if I changed all ini files to read-only, it would stop that automatic overwriting process?

Then all I would have to do is find the fog of war file, erase it and start fresh. And I believe the FoW info is stored locally.

Have you been able to successfully kill this [bDisableFogofWar=True] command in GameUserSettings?

Welp... guess I'll back everything up and give it a shot. Will update whether successful or not. Wish me luck!

K... I have returned. Was failure.

I deleted both the FoW files in my local Saved folder and changed my GameUserSettings ini on my CURRENT grid to "read-only". FoW has not changed.

I did not changed ALL of my grids at the same time as I have well over 100 individual grids with their own save folder. I don't believe it would work anyways.

On 2/22/2021 at 3:43 PM, Aquagoth said:

Yes, this is true. Sorry it didn't help you in this case. But it will help in the future from unauthorized changes to your files during an update.

• Like 1

Thx Cap'n. Even though it didn't pan out, I appreciate the help. I might just go back to not updating anymore until I know for sure that Grapeshot hasn't made things worse.

• Like 1