ATLAS

Patch 522.3 - The Majestic Kraken hits the Shores!

While I can't speak for everyone, I know when I asked for more ships I wanted more buildable ships. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure there is some value and a niche for prebuilt ships. I also don't like that you can't use any of the add-ons, (i.e. the diving attachment), on these prebuilt ships, which puts them on par with the sloop and the raft when it comes to utility. I also don't like the lack of customization potential or the inability to build on them. It's a shame to finally get something on par with a frigate and we're pretty much stuck with how it comes out of the box. I'd also like to see more parts and options for existing ships.

I still think charging gold for ships you build in your own shipyard is an asinine feature.

I do like the mating changes, having to have them set on wander was a rather bizarre and inconvenientĀ requirement.

Even though I fully anticipate my list of suggested changes will be ignored as always, here they are regardless:Ā 

1) Remove gold charges for ships you build yourself. It makes no damn sense.Ā 

2) Make buildable versions of the prebuilt ships and more customization and allow addons.

3) Make more parts for buildable ships. The whole reason I started playing this game is because it allowed me to build my own ship, and you've done practically nothing to expand on it since the game went live.Ā 

4) Why can't we equip guns on our NPC crew? Can we please get this feature?Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, chukiki said:

nobody wants to pay 5k coins for a schooner or do nonesense trade and has his ships in invincible docks

Uhh, I like the invincible docks. Actually most every does. I think you meant to say, YOU don't like them. Harder to offline raid , I know becuase my schooner is still flaoting.

1 hour ago, Chucksteak said:

Uhh, I like the invincible docks. Actually most every does. I think you meant to say, YOU don't like them. Harder to offline raid , I know becuase my schooner is still flaoting.

i agree, but it did kinda kill raiding now that everyones boats, animals, gold, and blueprints are behind amoured walls.

6 hours ago, TillerJockey said:

I think everyone needs to chill.Ā  This game is not yet released.Ā  This is by definition beta testing.Ā  THERE WILL BE HICCUPS!Ā Ā 

Dear DEVS, though some people are over reacting I would hope that you are responding to trouble tickets about losing ships.Ā  That is a lot of hard work to lose.

LOVE THIS GAME!

Except, the whole point of giving players early access to a game in development is to get feedback on changes...Grapeshot is really doing things badly and apparently completely ignoring players. Seriously.Ā That's where the community's anger is coming from, that it's become completely clear that they used early access to take people's money. Their entire business model is based soley on early access cash and nothing else.Ā And no matter how much anyone wants to hide behind a "in development" disclaimer, taking money means you have customers, not testers, no matter how many times they say it, it doesn't make their obligation to customers any less real. . . this game has been in "early access" development for 2 years and is soaked in disasterous decisions.

So take your "just calm down" and go somewhere else.Ā 

14 minutes ago, Captain Dingbat said:

Except, the whole point of giving players early access to a game in development is to get feedback on changes...Grapeshot is really doing things badly and apparently completely ignoring players. Seriously.Ā That's where the community's anger is coming from, that it's become completely clear that they used early access to take people's money. Their entire business model is based soley on early access cash and nothing else.Ā And no matter how much anyone wants to hide behind a "in development" disclaimer, taking money means you have customers, not testers, no matter how many times they say it, it doesn't make their obligation to customers any less real. . . this game has been in "early access" development for 2 years and is soaked in disasterous decisions.

So take your "just calm down" and go somewhere else.Ā 

Indeed, this whole game is riddled with serious mismanagement issues. The current dev team can't really be held responsible for that though.
They only recently took up the task of fixing all that is wrong with the game, and they are now fixing deep lying issues by rebuilding someĀ base mechanics. That takes a while.
I feel like Grapeshot could redeem themselves if they can prove that they care about the customers, but it'll take a lot of work and time.

The current dev team is making good changes, at least when you look at the longterm plans they posted. I think the modular ship system will work out pretty well once those modular ships become buildable. Many people like creating their own ships, and others like to buy ships that areĀ finished and ready to go. To me that sounds like there could be a player-run ship market if the tools where there. But being able toĀ buyĀ ships from NPCs is definitely a good way of doing the same, while also testing the function of theseĀ modular ships before making them buildable and customizable.

9 minutes ago, lordkhan4444 said:

i agree, but it did kinda kill raiding now that everyones boats, animals, gold, and blueprints are behind amoured walls.

I promise you that's a good thing. That raiding was almost always offline raiding. All I have wanted since release is to log off and know I can still have a boat when I log back on. Base, WH, markets, ect, ect, are all free game. Just leave my boat alone unless I am sailing it and have a chance toĀ defend it.Ā ESPECCIALLY if I had to spend thousands of gold to craft it!Ā 

I had an easier and cheaper solution, but I will certainly take the dock and call it fair.Ā 

Many people, including myself, hadĀ been advocating for just this type of thing. Witch brings me to @Captain DingbatĀ .

Captain, you're being a dingbat...just calm down.

If you look over their patch notes for the last several months, and think real hard about the correlation with what's been asked for on these very forums. You will find they are listening and working on our requests. Yeah, they also do stupid shit like dolphins that no one asked for. But mostly they are doing what we asked for.Ā 

Take the new ship system everyone is bitching about like a bunch of uneducated jackasses. We asked for more ships and ship types. We asked for better performance and less lag.

They are giving us more ship types that improve performance and allĀ people say about it so farĀ is "WAAAAAA! WAAAAA! I SHOULD BE ABLE TO HAVE ABSURD SHIP DESIGN THAT CUASES LAGGG WAAAA!"

So chillax. Lets see what they do with these new ships before we bash them. We still have the original ships, and now we have 50% more types of ships.

So we get shipsĀ  that improve performance and armoured ship bases that decrease it? yeh makes a lotta sense to me

Edited by Whitehawk

15 hours ago, Reeking cannonbait said:

Spy glasses help. Look at the other ship and if you see catapults donā€™t get so close. Pretty simple.Ā 

The issue is I try and stay away I canā€™t out run the brigs that target me in a schooner. So not pretty simple. Also I feel like the game should have better ship battles with the cannons not who can land the first explosive barrel winsĀ 

7 hours ago, Stewy12 said:

The issue is I try and stay away I canā€™t out run the brigs that target me in a schooner. So not pretty simple. Also I feel like the game should have better ship battles with the cannons not who can land the first explosive barrel winsĀ 

You have to be under 25% weight for full speed I think, or around there. A PvP ship will certainly be top speed with nothing on it but a catapult and some cannons. Very boring meta but speed is key.

Yet another reason I dont care if the new boats are less customizable, as the top players dont customize anyways.

• Like 1

Alright guys, I really wish to test this Kraken boat, but the problem is - those 75 squid parts.

In 2 days in 2 trenches (in G7 and G5) I've met just a single squid. I've tried to kill it with brand new dolphin I just tamed, but squid just immobilized my dolphin with tentacle, so I couldn't move, and couldn't land a single damage. All I could do is just watch the squid killing my dolphin.

Playing solo, I didn't do this voyage of power, meaninĀ no submarine for me.

So... any advice where to find lots of squids and how to hunt them with no submarine???

43 minutes ago, George Catcher said:

Alright guys, I really wish to test this Kraken boat, but the problem is - those 75 squid parts.

In 2 days in 2 trenches (in G7 and G5) I've met just a single squid. I've tried to kill it with brand new dolphin I just tamed, but squid just immobilized my dolphin with tentacle, so I couldn't move, and couldn't land a single damage. All I could do is just watch the squid killing my dolphin.

Playing solo, I didn't do this voyage of power, meaninĀ no submarine for me.

So... any advice where to find lots of squids and how to hunt them with no submarine???

On single player if you're on PC, hit ~ key to bring up the console and type cheat ssf majestic kraken and hit enter, just make sure you're facing open water. There aren't any ship sales NPCs on single player that I've been able to find, so that's pretty much the only way.Ā 

I never played the last 3 month but i just had a look on the ramming ship for example in this video:

Wow... a ship with weight 900/9000 with so many cannons(you can't remove) and 2 freaking medium sails.... wtf... it makes 5000 damage ramming a level 3 green SotD Brig.... WOW.... awesome... useless?

I wonder what the purpose of this new ship is about? Who got the idea to name a ship class "Majestic Kraken"? It looks different watching the video of Skarvig on youtube(2 days old and already watched by the devs -> color bug)... well different high and short... 2 large sails instead of 3 on a Brig. Well this gets more realistic at least. I just wonder if there will be a third ship with 3 sails as the largest one.... and remove of gally, brig and shooner from the game. So Atlas will be more like SoT... only prefab ships without customization and individual fighting purpose... oh wait ... maybe we get a whale hunting 4th type ship with non removable balista.

Well a video of speed with active Sextant would be nice to compare the speed based on this silly low weight of the ship.

Just had a look on the latest youtube videos from EU PvP... well there are ship fights... fast speed shooners, handling brigs and even grappling gallys but no ramming ships i could see. And it seams gold is no issue wiping bases with 5-6 Dragons dropping barrels and grenades or jumping into puckle towers and that stuff(decoyy)... seams like nobody needs ships in this game.

Ā 

I just clicked on the delete game button... sad but true.

PS: I am not native english speaker so keep false spelling up to you... i think you can read and understand my text.

Edited by Nacona

@Chucksteak The top players customize to build the lowest weight possible counting every cannon and roof on the ship if it's necessary. They stored even equipment into grills which had once the weight of 1kg which was fixed in last patch... besides the grill was also stone structure on the ship. You could let the decks open or don't place swivels for deck protection... next 100-500kg weight safed. Taking only 300 shots or 1000 shots into battle... guess who wins 1 vs 1 brig fight?

Even tricks about repair material allowed knowing players to reduce the weight about 1-2000kg compared to other players that may think a brig with 6000kg is ultra light weight(not at all).

Of course the knowledge spreads so it occurs that everybody is building the same style over time.

So the question is how will the game change with only prefab ships and a different repair system? 1 hit with the hammer restores full plank section health instantly? No repairing of single parts over time? less work for the repair team? What about a harbor run? Unsinkable gally with 10 players repair team and instant repair?

Ā  Ā Ā  Never utilized the Ramming Galley or this new ship, but, theres some obvious suggestions based on the commentary..

Ā  Ā  Patch kits should correlate to repair skill tree and repair hammer, meaning, the further a player specs into repair and/ or the better hammer they have then SOME VARIATION of the following should occur..

Ā  Ā Ā  a. The patch kit heals even faster - (reduces heal time from 3 seconds to 2) then (2 to 1) etc..

Ā  Ā Ā  b. The patch kit heals for more - (increases from 1k to 2k) then (2k to 4k) etc..

Ā  Ā  Ā Ā  a & b.1. Be careful on these suggestions as multiple repair personnel may result in overpowered repair capability.

Ā  Ā Ā  c. More patch kits can be utilized per repair - (from 1 to 2) then (2 to 4) etc.

Ā  Ā  Ā Ā  c.1. Be careful on this suggestion as players may inadvertently burn through the kits.

Ā 

** I'm sure this is already in the pipeline and I apologize if I'm stealing your thunder **

Ā 

Ā  Ā Ā  To everyone complaining about the modular concept, seriously think about it.. The legacy ship building system is ALREADY MODULAR BY DEFINITION. Skeleton + gold + X number of planks, decks, ceiling panels, walls etc. yeilds a ship... Ā  They're mostly square pieces.... Giant pain in the ass running around repairing 100s of pieces + cannons + sails, at sea INSTEAD of partaking in the battle..

Ā  Ā Ā  Seriously, give me a show of hands if ya wanna be the repair bitch while I do the sailing, shooting and callouts..

Ā  Ā Ā  šŸ¤

@Ranger1kI think repair crew is not an issue at all as long you are not a solo player. In my time playing Atlas activ on EU PvP i found a group and was always in a tribe with 5-15 players. You have usually only a few expirienced captains that can participate in fights while you have others learning the game or who are even scared of SotD(or of the Xbox lags). Even after we played one year together we agreed always to drive a brig with two players and a galleon with minimum of 2 or 3 knowing there can spawn some more if needed. Because Atlas is a MMO which is based on teamplay. We also switched who actually is the captain daily. Also an expirienced repair man(captain) can give advise to the learning captain on the wheel... you have usually lot's of time to keep an eye on the battle. Some of my best battles i had was actually teaching my ladies in a great fleet battle while repairing their mistakes or trying to prevent them from doing thosešŸ™‚ Beeing the rat looking out of the gun port when enemy has side swivels... well you get it.

On a brig it's ez for one to repair. I had once a battle driving a brig vs. 10-15 enemy Brigs about 30 minutes fighting them(not running) and my repairs man played his second day. I told him what to do and how to replace planks for getting repair material as well place and delete diving attachment in that battle. He was great and we survived that for said over 30 minutes. Our harbor was blocked by another 10 gallys btw.

Of course Galleons have lot's more planks but also more life and more cannons. You get a disadvantage for gaining other advantages. It's not meant to sail a Galleon solo into combat.

Edited by Nacona
  • Like 1

I'm now asking grapeshot dev guys.

Currently we have 3 ppl in thench G5, looking for squids. One guy told that in last hour he met just a single one. I met oneĀ in last 2 days. From what I heard - each one give 6-8 tentacles, so for 75 tentacles we need to spend like a week in trench right? Or maybe a couple weeks?Ā A month? Hours and hours just swimming around and waiting until yet another poor squid respawn?

You really meant that? You really planned that obtain this majestic kraken should be that... long and purposeless?Ā So we need to just swimĀ aroundĀ our submarine or dolphin for like 200 hours?

@Nacona

Ā  Ā Ā  I agree with many things you've stated, but not all.

1. Dealing with 5 to 15 personnel doesn't sound like a fun activity to me. Occasionally, yes, it's great. You're right it can be very fun, like going to a party. However, I'm old and grumpy and don't want this to always be necessary to go out and have a good fight.Ā 

2. The people stuck sitting on the bench should be kept low. I'm a total guy, meaning, sometimes I WANT to fight solo and see if I can outplay a large force. šŸ¤—

3. Teamplay depends on the situation. Most players would prefer to operate a ship, not ALL but MOST would. Some people prefer boarding the other ship and PvP that way. Bottom of the list though is hide from lag and run repair duty.

Edited by Ranger1k

You don't sail around with the repair crew. You sail out like you normally would and if you get into trouble you have the option to ask if someone can spawn on your boat and repair it.

@Pant

3 minutes ago, Pant said:

You don't sail around with the repair crew. You sail out like you normally would and if you get into trouble you have the option to ask if someone can spawn on your boat and repair it.

Not to be a smartass, but duh šŸ™‚

Fastravelling back and forth = boring.

The biggest problem I used to have with my crew was the different time zones, as we were nearly all from different countries it was nearly impossible to all be on together. I know in a mega that wouldn't prob be an issue, but it can be for a small company.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ranger1k said:

@Pant

Not to be a smartass, but duh šŸ™‚

Fastravelling back and forth = boring.

I don't really see what other alternatives you have.

If you don't let people fast travel to your boat you are denying them content and that is certainly more boring then repairing a ship

Other alternative is to sail out with 5 to 15 ships, but you say you don't want to deal with that much personel.

7 minutes ago, Pant said:

I don't really see what other alternatives you have.

If you don't let people fast travel to your boat you are denying them content and that is certainly more boring then repairing a ship

Other alternative is to sail out with 5 to 15 ships, but you say you don't want to deal with that much personel.

Ā  Ā Ā  Taking off all my armor and hotbar stuff, running to a bed, bringing up the map then staring at a loading screen multiple times per night is very, very boring. Also it breaks the "immersion". Don't get me wrong, some people enjoy playing a support role. Works out great for some, (couples, siblings, close friends etc). In my experience though it's the exception.

The trouble with fast travel is having to leave everything behind. I remember accidentally deleting a sloop mast once when I was new to Atlas and being left with no way of moving. To add to that I was fast being approached by sotd. Using fast travel helped cos I traveled back to base and sailed back to the sloop and unloaded the cargo, But it woulda been a lot easier if I could have carried a mast back instead of sailing right across the grid. And bed travelling can be really glitchy too.

• Haha 1

If you are in your companiesĀ base making grog or some other mundane task and your friend runs into another ship. You and everyone who is not (a couple, sibling or close friend) would prefer to put waterskins into a barrelĀ then to spawn over and join the fight?