Sign in to follow this  
Spicy_Churros_Ttv

Pre Crafted Ships a step in the Wrong direction.

54 minutes ago, Whitehawk said:

Fallout 76 had some of the best software programmers in the world. When it was released it was a buggy mess. And there are many games the same. Sorry but you seem to know less about programming than I know about period pains.

Fallout 76 was a buggy mess hence i know nothing about programming? Some factual on point logic there.

@Whitehawk

I'd be curious for your (and other peoples) input and feedback regarding this point I made in the announcement patch...

" To everyone complaining about the modular concept, seriously think about it.. The legacy ship building system is ALREADY MODULAR BY DEFINITION. Skeleton + gold + X number of planks, decks, ceiling panels, walls etc. yeilds a ship...   They're mostly square pieces.... Giant pain in the ass running around repairing 100s of pieces + cannons + sails, at sea INSTEAD of partaking in the battle.. "

I'm unsure whether or not to believe people saying that the legacy system can't be recreated by the devs. I mean lots of people know how to paint but only a small percentage of them could recreate "The Mona Lisa", know what I mean?

Either way Im in favor of a simpler design system, such as the one being set forth by the devs, for several reasons..

1 The less pieecs to repair the better

2 I hate seeing ships with 30 cannons in the back or just along one side, the damn thing should roll over and sink and also its ugly as hell

3 More ship standardization has a chance of making battle more skill based, meaning, If we fight with the same ship then the outcome of the battle relies more on who handles the ship better. Part of this depends of course on the role BPs play in the new ship system, which I hope is minimal.

Edited by Ranger1k
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've said in previous posts that i'd settle for less customization if it meant more realistic Pyrate ships. Sadly that doesn't seem to be the case. We seem to be getting disney kids Pyrate ships instead. Even potc had realistic ships and that was disney. In sea of thieves there are only 3 types of ship, and you get it back whenever you sink. But they do look like ships at least. and they do have furnished interiors so they are not like floating boxes, unlike atlas ships. I think in some ways early access can harm the direction of a game, because a dev may have a vision that gets waylaid due to player comments. It's glaringly obvious that the Atlas teem needs to hire a good leader with a fixed vision.

• Like 3

Idk what your talking about 100's of pieces it's decks sails and planks your cannons take barely any damage and your not even close to the meta if your out with alloy on your boat. The repair method is fun and enjoyable to people who like to repair. the new system is watered down garbage. Maybe if you could place the repair patches onto your hammer and use that to bang the shit I could get behind it. 

On 2/11/2021 at 5:07 AM, Sheepshooter said:

Because they have NO IDEA how those old ships are made = programmed... that guy is long gone and no one asked him how to do it...

Yeah, there is no way that is the case lol. I agree with the rest of your post.

18 hours ago, Spicy_Churros_Ttv said:

Idk what your talking about 100's of pieces it's decks sails and planks your cannons take barely any damage and your not even close to the meta if your out with alloy on your boat. The repair method is fun and enjoyable to people who like to repair. the new system is watered down garbage. Maybe if you could place the repair patches onto your hammer and use that to bang the shit I could get behind it. 

A skeleton galleon consists of hundreds of pieces assuming it has cannons on it... 72 planks alone + ~6 decks, 6 sails, stairs, ceiling tiles in gaps, 52 cannons...

Even a  brig approachs 100.. 40 planks plus 2 or 3 decks, 2+ ramps, 3 sails, steering wheel, all the ceiling tiles to fill in gaps, 12 or more cannons if it has gunports, or about a dozen walls and 6+ cannons if its an ass blaster + on PvP sevral swivel guns at 2pieces per, a lockable door to chamber seal the bottom deck (5 pieces) + ammo box, resources chest, larder, storage boxes...

Idk what your cunfused about.. 🙂

Even a skelton schooner has 28 planks, 2 decks, steering wheel, several ramps, a few ceiling tiles, 2 sails ~3 rear facing cannons, resources chest, about 6 walls + 3 ceiling for the rear cannons, ammo box, food preservation bag, and atleast 1 storage box yielding ~50 + pieces..

If your interested in a repair solution for the new system please scroll to my original comments on page 2 of The Majestic Kraken Announcements, for some reason @Pant decided to bury it...

Edited by Ranger1k

On 2/9/2021 at 5:41 PM, Spicy_Churros_Ttv said:

Summed up in short Pre-crafted ships are Garbage. 

The excuse that exploits on ships are rampant is so lazy. 

No Blueprints, no use for resources, no use for sails. Just cookie cut versions that the devs which we already know are terrible at designing and implementing let alone following through with their ideas promised to expand upon. How? By allowing you to build 40 structures on the boat. Oh gee... They still have not fixed the bug where the precrafted ramming galleon's nose of the ship when down to 0 hp from 15k instantly sinks the boat despite the rest of the ship being repaired.

If they cannot fix a precrafted ship thats been in the game since the start of the season why would you think they could bring in new boats that arent as broken if not more broken that what is currently in game.

(wild how their solution to fixing something is to bring in a totally new system that's more flawed than the last) 

Some dev justified their job somehow by suggesting this swap is my guess.

What are your thoughts about these pre-crafted ships  and their effect on the future of PVP in the game. PVE aside.

Also i feel the devs are brain dead with the new claim system they fail to realize mortars are a structure in this game capable of cross island hits. How are you going to defend against mortars when part of the island is in peace mortaring your part of the island in combat.? @devs

How can you call something that is not even finished garbage? You literally have not had a chance to even give this system an evaluation yet. You are only getting to see this system being built so far.

The excuse of exploits on ships is not lazy. The fact that there ARE exploits on ships was the lazy part. Devs addressing this issue is the opposite of lazy. I think you have this 100% backwards.

OFC there will be bugs when building a new system. Is everything you do perfect before you're finished? They even explicitly told us it was still bugged and even listed the bugs they know of.

The new claim system is something that no one knows details on at this point in time. The fact that you say anything about it at all is bewildering. If you have inside information please let us know.

To be sure we need a new claiming system. This one is terrible. I have hope that the next one will be better. I am sure they will put some thought into it, and I am sure it will not be perfect on the 1st pass.

I also have a lot of hope for the new ship system.

There is no customization in PvP. We leave off as many ceilings and decks as possible for weight. The boats are very very boring looking. No one, and I mean NO ONE, is customizing their PvP ships. Nobody has some awesome "build" that makes them better than a random teenager who builds the exact same boat.

The way to repair, and replace planks right now is awful. Any step taken that moves us to a more seamless system with the boats is a good move. Or at least a move in the right direction. 

Like @Ranger1k said, they are already modular by definition.

If we can increase performance and make ship combat more skill based with a more standardized ship system I am all for it. It could end up being the best thing they have done yet. Hell, one of the best aspects of SoT is the simple ship design that makes sea combat feel amazing.

PvE guys, I am sure you love your houseboats. Hell, if my boat was perma safe all of the time I would probably do the same. They do look cooler, but they fight like shit and are slower than congress. 

For the rest of us, we all have the same boat. Lets all have one that lets us have bigger battles with less lag.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

A skeleton galleon consists of hundreds of pieces assuming it has cannons on it... 72 planks alone + ~6 decks, 6 sails, stairs, ceiling tiles in gaps, 52 cannons...

Thats why every Galley loads with lag : )) And if there is a tribe that have like 30 Galley lvl-1 parked in harbor for art reason, server is goin into a tailspin 😆

p.s. - oh, and 2day I saw gr8 example of "I design my ship for my playstyle!!!"

PqxAT0f.jpg

qAmv6ec.jpg

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Ranger1k said:

Even a  brig approachs 100.. 40 planks plus 2 or 3 decks, 3 sails, 2+ ramps, 3 sails, steering wheel, all the ceiling tiles to fill in gaps, 12 or more cannons if it has gunports, or about a dozen walls and 6+ cannons if its an ass blaster + on PvP sevral swivel guns at 2pieces per, a lockable door to chamber seal the bottom deck (5 pieces) + ammo box, resources chest, larder, storage boxes...

Even a skelton schooner has 28 planks, 2 decks, steering wheel, several ramps, a few ceiling tiles, 2 sails ~3 rear facing cannons, resources chest, about 6 walls + 3 ceiling for the rear cannons, ammo box, food preservation bag, and atleast 1 storage box yielding ~50 + pieces..

If your interested in a repair solution for the new system please scroll to my original comments on page 2 of The Majestic Kraken Announcements, for some reason @Pant decided to bury it...

The bottom planks will not take damage, neither will anything under the top deck and the broadside not facing your opponent will not take damage either. On a brig the only thing you have to worry about is the sails, the 10 planks facing your opponent, swivels, the catapult ramp and the steering wheel. Its like 20 pieces. The pieces filling the holes in the top deck is not a priority.

Don't know anything about burying your post.

On 2/17/2021 at 4:32 PM, Chucksteak said:

How can you call something that is not even finished garbage? You literally have not had a chance to even give this system an evaluation yet. You are only getting to see this system being built so far.

The excuse of exploits on ships is not lazy. The fact that there ARE exploits on ships was the lazy part. Devs addressing this issue is the opposite of lazy. I think you have this 100% backwards.

OFC there will be bugs when building a new system. Is everything you do perfect before you're finished? They even explicitly told us it was still bugged and even listed the bugs they know of.

The new claim system is something that no one knows details on at this point in time. The fact that you say anything about it at all is bewildering. If you have inside information please let us know.

To be sure we need a new claiming system. This one is terrible. I have hope that the next one will be better. I am sure they will put some thought into it, and I am sure it will not be perfect on the 1st pass.

I also have a lot of hope for the new ship system.

There is no customization in PvP. We leave off as many ceilings and decks as possible for weight. The boats are very very boring looking. No one, and I mean NO ONE, is customizing their PvP ships. Nobody has some awesome "build" that makes them better than a random teenager who builds the exact same boat.

The way to repair, and replace planks right now is awful. Any step taken that moves us to a more seamless system with the boats is a good move. Or at least a move in the right direction. 

Like @Ranger1k said, they are already modular by definition.

If we can increase performance and make ship combat more skill based with a more standardized ship system I am all for it. It could end up being the best thing they have done yet. Hell, one of the best aspects of SoT is the simple ship design that makes sea combat feel amazing.

PvE guys, I am sure you love your houseboats. Hell, if my boat was perma safe all of the time I would probably do the same. They do look cooler, but they fight like shit and are slower than congress. 

For the rest of us, we all have the same boat. Lets all have one that lets us have bigger battles with less lag.

I disagree with just about everything you said. Their new claim system will be garbage, their new boat system will be garbage because IT CURRENTLY IS GARBAGE, Not to mention still broken on the ramming galley. Repairing a seemless boat is boring AF. What exploits are on ships now currently tell me? They can only talk about placing multiple sails or cannon stacking... Which has been fixed per dev and is a DEV WIPE OFFENSE. Again what other exploits do ships provide that are game breaking let me know because to my knowledge there arent any so yeh it is lazy of the devs to claim exploits.

The kicker to this all is fill your harbor with ramming galleys and nothing else. Guess what.. You STILL GET HUGE FUCKING LAG. So AGAIN this new system is garbage, it does not fix current issues like  "lag" or "exploits". 

If you cant fathom why 3 claim flags on one island is bad with mortars and large range cannons in the game Idk how i can argue with you. You dont grasp the issues of land pvp.

Everyone posting pictures of boats with house like designs are just cherry picking. Very sad.

Look people, we are talking about devs who think a bowsprit is a figurehead, and that players want ships that look like squid. so unfortunately I do not think that sailing realism is too high on their agenda. Atlas is not a garbage game, yeh it uses early access like a serial killer uses childhood neglect, an excuse for everything. And it deffo needs some direction. But it still has potential, even at this late stage. As for the pre fab route, I agree this is a very wrong turn as there are games that do it much better. Also the more pre fabbed the game gets,the less reason there is to keep playing it. Once you've krakened the game the only thing left to do is attack each other, Which would be ok if the fighting was decently balanced. And adding gold to buy ships after saying they want everyone at sea as fast as possible doesn't make sense at all. I doubt if Atlas will win any innovation awards, But I still say it has potential.

• Like 1

On 2/17/2021 at 4:47 PM, Pant said:

The bottom planks will not take damage, neither will anything under the top deck and the broadside not facing your opponent will not take damage either. On a brig the only thing you have to worry about is the sails, the 10 planks facing your opponent, swivels, the catapult ramp and the steering wheel. Its like 20 pieces. The pieces filling the holes in the top deck is not a priority.

Don't know anything about burying your post.

Everything you've described in this scenario is a 1v1 skirmish, not a battle.

Also yes you DID bury the patch kit repair suggestions under Announcements in a losing game of "Gotchya"

3 hours ago, Ranger1k said:

Everything you've described in this scenario is a 1v1 skirmish, not a battle.

I've described the damage you are likely to take from another ship.

I am not sure what your point is? Are you saying because if it was a big battle you would sail down the middle of a bunch of enemy ships and then take damage from all sides?

18 minutes ago, Pant said:

I've described the damage you are likely to take from another ship.

I am not sure what your point is? Are you saying because if it was a big battle you would sail down the middle of a bunch of enemy ships and then take damage from all sides?

You mean performing flanking maneuvers and bold distractions in a multiship battle?.. Yes, yes I would. They're called tactics..

My point was that you vastly oversimply the current modular system to undermine the one in development.

Anymore rhetorical questions..?

6 minutes ago, Ranger1k said:

You mean performing flanking maneuvers and bold distractions in a multiship battle?.. Yes, yes I would. They're called tactics..

No, I am asking you why you think the damage profile would be different from a skirmish to a battle?

22 minutes ago, Ranger1k said:

My point was that you vastly oversimply the current modular system to undermine the one in development.

Because I say 60 of the 80 pieces on a ship most likely won't take damage due to them being underwater or under a massive hp pool deck, I am against a modular system and i am underminig the development?

28 minutes ago, Ranger1k said:

Anymore rhetorical questions..?

Maybe you shouldn't make comments like this if you are going to keep bringing up ad nauseam and I how i "buried your post". Might seem hypocritical to some people.

8 hours ago, Pant said:

No, I am asking you why you think the damage profile would be different from a skirmish to a battle?

Because I say 60 of the 80 pieces on a ship most likely won't take damage due to them being underwater or under a massive hp pool deck, I am against a modular system and i am underminig the development?

Maybe you shouldn't make comments like this if you are going to keep bringing up ad nauseam and I how i "buried your post". Might seem hypocritical to some people.

1. A skirmish is often a PART of a battle, or, some ships performing hit and runs. A battle is a substantial and prolonged fight to secure a strategic goal. So yes the damage profiles would be different.

2. I have zero clue what your stance is, because you dont take one, you almost always answer w a question. Also the current system is already modular, they're 90% square blocks. Look up the definition.. Pick a development direction.. Simplify and rework the legacy system or leave it as is? Make a choice already instead of sitting on the fence and babbling..

3. Anyone can go read the Majestic Kraken Thread, you spammed it w pointless rhetorical questions, then stated that crafting items for the company was "sitting on the bench"... if your logical fallacies were planks we'd have a galley...

**sidenote, even in a skirmish you've never had an SotD hit the other side? Never had a 3rd party swoop in and hope to kill 2 birds w 1 stone?...Clipped a whale, iceberg or hit a cyclone mid fight?... Naw your right @Pant your not oversimplifying things... the problem is me 👌

Edited by Ranger1k

14 hours ago, Ranger1k said:

1. A skirmish is often a PART of a battle, or, some ships performing hit and runs. A battle is a substantial and prolonged fight to secure a strategic goal. So yes the damage profiles would be different.

**sidenote, even in a skirmish you've never had an SotD hit the other side? Never had a 3rd party swoop in and hope to kill 2 birds w 1 stone?...Clipped a whale, iceberg or hit a cyclone mid fight?... Naw your right @Pant your not oversimplifying things... the problem is me 👌

The problem is your argument. That theres to much to repair, when you break it down its not that much to repair. I have never heard anyone complain about it, had any issues getting people to repair my ship or had issues repairing other peoples ships.

When i ask you simple questions about your argument, instead of elaborating on it you are just giving me none answers like i quoted above. Your sidenote is touching more on the question then your actual answer.

1 hour ago, Pant said:

The problem is your argument. That theres to much to repair, when you break it down its not that much to repair. I have never heard anyone complain about it, had any issues getting people to repair my ship or had issues repairing other peoples ships.

When i ask you simple questions about your argument, instead of elaborating on it you are just giving me none answers like i quoted above. Your sidenote is touching more on the question then your actual answer.

Actually there's multiple reasons to transition to a different system, furthermore you HAVE heard MULTIPLE people complain about the repairs..

1. I'm complaining about it

2. 40k+ players quit this game, i have zero doubt many found ship maintenance a chore.

3. Other people in recent threads

The devs want a different building system and THEY have listed multiple logical reasons.

Furthermore I've elaborated plenty, you choose to put your fingers in your ears and ignore it.. So of course you've "never heard any complaints"

Goodbye

7 hours ago, Ranger1k said:

Actually there's multiple reasons to transition to a different system, furthermore you HAVE heard MULTIPLE people complain about the repairs..

1. I'm complaining about it

2. 40k+ players quit this game, i have zero doubt many found ship maintenance a chore.

3. Other people in recent threads

The devs want a different building system and THEY have listed multiple logical reasons.

Furthermore I've elaborated plenty, you choose to put your fingers in your ears and ignore it.. So of course you've "never heard any complaints"

Goodbye

Yes I am sure there are multiple reasons, but you are just forwarding this one argument over and over.

Who else is complaining about it? Its just you...

@Pant

Aaaand you've yet to state you're position... Aaaaand more questions...

Still sticking you're fingers in your ears and sitting on the fence I see?... Did YOU state YOUR opinion or suggestions anywhere in your drivel? If you did I missed it. Theres no clear answer though.. Simple question, should the ship building system be reworked or added to in any way? Yes or no?

Sure I'm the only person who thinks the current ship building system needs work. Oh and the devs. Oh and @Whitehawk. Oh and @Chucksteak. Oh and @George Catcher... Shall I go on?

Discussing things w you is a waste of time

Buh bye

• Like 1

Who else is complaining about it? Its just you...

I do... I mean not complaining, buy when I build my damned ship destroyer, I make it as simple as it gets, No railings. No beautification. Smallest entrance to low deck. Smallest deck guns attachments. I put there as few parts as I can. Also, because most of SotD damage in regular old fashion battles lands in the middle part of my ship, I keep this part just empty. But there is a hole and 10 ceilings there. I wish I could choice my deck with no holes in middle and front parts, because I anyway put there 10 and 4 ceilings and paint those in chess style to ease maintenance, but devs didn't make any options for me here.

So all those talks about "personal designs" and "I build a ship to my playstyle" goes down the drain, after you face what game required from you. I wish I could build some cool looking ship, at least surround my steering wheel with railings, but I then will get extremely annoyed by repairing, or even replacing and paint all damaged and destroyed extra parts.

Trust me. I did hell alot of damned ship huntung. I took down like 1000 of them in 2 years and my current destroyer design (or should I say "lack of design) - is crown of my experience I came through successes and mistakes : )

h and @George Catcher...

I'm looking forward to see what devs will brings us here : )

Edited by George Catcher
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Ranger1k said:

@Pant

Aaaand you've yet to state you're position... Aaaaand more questions...

Still sticking you're fingers in your ears and sitting on the fence I see?... Did YOU state YOUR opinion or suggestions anywhere in your drivel? If you did I missed it. Theres no clear answer though.. Simple question, should the ship building system be reworked or added to in any way? Yes or no?

I am just listening to the arguments. You tagged me to your post, basically asking for my input and then you throw a tantrum when theres one argument i can't get behind..

2 hours ago, Ranger1k said:

Sure I'm the only person who thinks the current ship building system needs work. Oh and the devs. Oh and @Whitehawk. Oh and @Chucksteak. Oh and @George Catcher... Shall I go on?

Again, I am not against the current ship building system needs rework. I just don't think "Theres to much to repair so we need a new system" is the right argument.

Edited by Pant

5 hours ago, Pant said:

I just don't think "Theres to much to repair so we need a new system" is the right argument.

I was under the impression that the argument was "we can do it better and create better performance while doing so."

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Chucksteak said:

I was under the impression that the argument was "we can do it better and create better performance while doing so."

He tagged me in this post and this have been his sole argument the whole "discussion".

On 2/17/2021 at 10:25 PM, Ranger1k said:

Even a  brig approachs 100.. 40 planks plus 2 or 3 decks, 2+ ramps, 3 sails, steering wheel, all the ceiling tiles to fill in gaps, 12 or more cannons if it has gunports, or about a dozen walls and 6+ cannons if its an ass blaster + on PvP sevral swivel guns at 2pieces per, a lockable door to chamber seal the bottom deck (5 pieces) + ammo box, resources chest, larder, storage boxes...