ATLAS

DEV Q&A - ASK A PIRATE DAY #6

Of course I have been paid for a lot of the work I do, or I would not do it. But I have known companies and agents i've worked through to blatantly steal my ideas and it would be my word against theirs. Intellectual copyright is a very hard thing to prove. If you were to have your own Pyrate game in developement and you put the ideas you had for Atlas into that then the ownership would be legally your own. Since they relate to your own property, eg game. However if you state on an Atlas ideas forum that the devs should do this or that with their game and they do, then legally you are in a very grey area indeed when it comes to ownership rights. Lets be honest some of us know that our ideas on here have been taken on board by the game devs and utilised. However Atlas is their game and the suggestions we make exist only within that context. ie no Atlas or forum, means would the ideas have still come into being or have any relevance elsewhere? ie a different game. Like I say intellectual copyright is a minefield.

6 hours ago, SpeedyStar said:

Lawless zones are crowded from beginning  and obviously you did not read. I don’t have all time in world to play. Pve is best place to play with out having to worry about being wiped by trolls while I work 7-10 hour days  unlike you I have life outside of atlas 

you just made an assumption about me without knowing anything about me. 7-10 hour days are short try 14 hour shifts 13 days straight With one day off and I still managed to do it. You clearly didn’t read my post either. 😂

if you can’t gather enough gold to build a brig in a few hours over a couple days it’s you,  not the game. 🤷‍♂️

Edited by Reeking cannonbait

Reeking,  all I can say is I hope no ones life depends on you with the amount of sleep you get eh.

2 minutes ago, Whitehawk said:

Reeking,  all I can say is I hope no ones life depends on you with the amount of sleep you get eh.

I still get 7- 8 hours. Just a reminder there is 24 hours in a day so I will let you do the math. 

2 hours ago, Whitehawk said:

Of course I have been paid for a lot of the work I do, or I would not do it. But I have known companies and agents i've worked through to blatantly steal my ideas and it would be my word against theirs. Intellectual copyright is a very hard thing to prove. If you were to have your own Pyrate game in developement and you put the ideas you had for Atlas into that then the ownership would be legally your own. Since they relate to your own property, eg game. However if you state on an Atlas ideas forum that the devs should do this or that with their game and they do, then legally you are in a very grey area indeed when it comes to ownership rights. Lets be honest some of us know that our ideas on here have been taken on board by the game devs and utilised. However Atlas is their game and the suggestions we make exist only within that context. ie no Atlas or forum, means would the ideas have still come into being or have any relevance elsewhere? ie a different game. Like I say intellectual copyright is a minefield.

1. I have no doubt intellectual property claims are a minefield, hence my discretion and the offer to work as a consultant.

2. The advice given on this forum has been given freely and I make no claims upon it. I registered an account with this company in order to speak here, so, technically, they have more claim upon it than I do.. Although it also falls under the realm of public domain since anyone can view this website.

Therefore we're at the fork in the road, meaning, they can make a choice to take the development path of their choosing either with me or without me. My ships are scuttled and everything has been given to a friend.

Going to be hard to offer advice since I'm no longer playing, also, I refuse to be the gift that keeps on giving. 

Everythings ok though, theres other fish in the sea.. 😏

14 hours ago, Ranger1k said:

😏

I think that you may be going about this the wrong way.

If you are wanting monetary compensation from GS for intellectual work, I truly believe you should contact the studio directly and apply for a job or solicitate your consultation services. I could be wrong, but I do not think that there is a precedent for hiring an unverifiable person from a forum off of a promise of an idea. I believe you said you had experience in the game creation industry, this will help greatly. 

If you believe you have a multi million dollar "Idea" that would work for any game. Well then my friend, you should take your industry experience and your idea and go make a game and get that paper. Don't even let a terrible studio like GS get a chance to fuck it up.

If you believe in this game and want to improve this game with your ideas, then you should get on the public game forums and discuss them in detail. Get enough positive feedback and it will most likely get implemented in some way shape or form. However you will be the only person that knows it was your idea. Maybe some of us will know as well.

Keep in mind that GS hasn't released any games yet. They likely have not turned any profit. Their team is small, and greatly lacking in talent when compared to almost any other game studio out there. What they DO have is a lot of ideas that sound really cool. What they DONT have is any proof that they can carry these idea through to fruition.

I will give you my personal view on this. Ideas in and of them self are not worth anything. Even after being shared with a group and refined into a better idea, it is still not worth anything. Money is only made when an idea is acted upon and a product is produced and sold successfully.  

So let me ask you. Do you really have an idea that these guys can do anything with? They have yet to implement their own ideas in a profitable way. 

• Like 2

Was really hoping this update nerfed the explosive barrels. They shouldn’t be able to be launched you can take down any ship with 3-4 hits that’s to OP. Also think bad idea to make armored docks stronger my island got trolled with them and they are hard to remove especially after the settlement owner demolish didn’t work for some reason.

On 2/5/2021 at 12:24 PM, ATLAS said:

Are there any plans for more "old style" ships to be released (build from frame up ones) or will all future ones at this point be prebuilt?
The new system contemplates a more modular design that isn't as intricate as the old system and isn't "prebuilt". For now they are as we work on the system, but ultimately it will be a modular system that allows you to swap components and create ships with different functions without allowing for the crazy exploits that the current system permits.  It will also be more performant which should improve frame rate.

With this, you will eliminate the only redeeming aspect of your game.  Being able to make your own ship, how you want it to be, is what actually makes Atlas enjoyable for me and my crew.

Adios Atlas

10 hours ago, Teron Gray said:

With this, you will eliminate the only redeeming aspect of your game.  Being able to make your own ship, how you want it to be, is what actually makes Atlas enjoyable for me and my crew.

Adios Atlas

LOL!! That's the only redeeming quality to you?! Making a boat that looks just like everyone else's boat?

But now you will be able to make a boat that looks like everyone else's boat, with less lag, so you will leave?

The sheer arrogance that you have some awesome boat design that you thought of. I will give you the benefit of assuming you are a PvE player, else you would not suggest such silly things. 

What do you think you do that is so special? Do you know what the word "modular" means? Do you realize you already build a modular ship? Are you aware the buildings you build are also modular? Have you eve wondered why all of the structures and boats look similar? 

We all use the same planks, same sails, same walls ect. You can certainly chalk it up to lack of diversity in the modules. However it shows a severe lack of understanding to complain the way you have here sir.

Please, try before you cry.

Some feedback

1 This ship potentially fills the gap between a Brig and a Galleon, so good job devs. However, theres a few issues..

a. Get rid of the squid tentacles as a purchasing mat. Probably lower the gold cost also. If you want players to embrace the ships your proposing in EA lower the entry barriers so more people can test them. If somebody goes through tons of effort and isn't happy with your new design they'll just be twice as grumpy...

b. Get rid of the gaudy flair (the tentacles) on the front. I love the ship concept but the front end is ugly as hell and totally unnecessary. I apologize if the designer is insulted but I'm just trying to be candid. Sometimes less is more and I feel a simple Bowsprit on the front would be more appealing to most players.

2. In the future roll out more ships something like this and save ships like the Ramming Galley for inclusion with some related content. For example the Ramming Galley belongs with some type of Ancient Greek or Egyptian travel-back-to-ancient-history DLC.

🙂

Good luck

Edited by Ranger1k
  • Thanks 1

@Teron Gray

Hopefully they come up with a large library of modules/ components that can be swapped around to make ships much MORE customizable. It also opens up the possibility of giving the ships more authentic regional and historical design styles..

I hope thats where they're headed with this atleast, lord knows when I was anticipating the launch of markets i never foresaw the convoluted mess they actually implemented. So who knows, maybe it'll be a logical step in the right direction or maybe it'll be a ridiculous mess. 🙄🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

On 2/10/2021 at 3:30 PM, Chucksteak said:

So let me ask you. Do you really have an idea that these guys can do anything with? They have yet to implement their own ideas in a profitable way. 

I'm not 100% convinced that they're unprofitable. Several reasons..

1. I paid full price for 2 accounts on xbox. I bet they're WAY over ~100k sold by now.

2. Also the current mechanics get 98% who purchase it to fuck off after a few days.. Pretty efficient.

3. They're shrewd/ unscrupulous enough to get the consumer to be the beta tester. Seriously when i think of "Early Access" it brings to mind tipping a bouncer to cut in front of the line at a nightclub 🤣, not this shit. Wonder how much of the staff is starry eyed interns?

So to finally answer your question, I dunno. The "idea" has huge potential. Major upside possibilities. Some coding skill would be necessary, which I DO NOT possess. However I have access to some people for that.. I tried to contact them via DM on these forums and also advertised here ad nauseum, to no avail. Of course I didn't expect to be flat out hired without a personal meeting, but, I don't think a simple DM stating "Hi, we're interested in speaking with you" is crazy either.. So basically I offered and they rejected. Whether it was due to their lack of interest or negligence is fruitless to ponder..

Edited by Ranger1k

On 2/5/2021 at 10:16 PM, Reeking cannonbait said:

If you followed the patches and updates and utilized the new trade system you wouldn’t have to sail across the map for wood. If you don’t want any risk go play pve gold is super easy to come by and shouldn’t have trouble collecting gold through maps and whales in a few hours. Gold cost is good for the game! 

check this you can only put the warehouse near the water correct noww what happens near the water the megas blow anything and everything up that is near the water and one more thing i dont have litteral 5 to 10 hours to build the base cause i have a job to get to and can only play for like 3 or 4 hours a day and i cannot breed good tames to do the higher tier maps cause we all know trying to solo a masterwork map is suicide on a solo bear and how would i get the gold together to make a ship and build the parts for it ok did it done but gotta log off for work get on next day oop got raided by idk void or sumthin and now its bye bye gold and mats for the boat i only continued to play cause i could farm a boat everyday to keep a boat because this game and the new devs favor the bigger companys rather than the smalls and solos

On 2/5/2021 at 9:16 PM, UnderTaker905 said:

If you're talking about the farmhouses being turned on/off by random trolls, I do believe they've already taken care of that previously. Otherwise your farmhouse will turn itself off if any of the following happen: It runs out of fuel, it reaches its weight capacity, or it reaches storage capacity.

Actually people can still turn them off. Full fuel, very little resources in it and it is off. I check them every day and it happens all the time. Someone said pin lock, nope still happens