ATLAS

DEV Q&A - ASK A PIRATE DAY #6

Ahoy Pathfinders!

Conch here, bringing the latest edition of Atlas Community Q&A with the Devs! While murky waters and stormy seas may alter the exact timelines in the future, the Atlas crew will continue to provide more engagement opportunities during the off-weeks between patches. It may be through Q&A or may be a fun community event or two, but like a pesky barnacle on your broadside, we'll be making it tough to leave us in the wake.

:anchor: Teaser :anchor:KrakenShip-min.jpg

Hmm? This seems familiar. How does it go? Release the... something something?
Well, thanks to my parrot postal friend, this image just landed on my shore. Apparently, she was recently spotted out in the deep sea, headin' our way! She's definitely a beauty... so, can anyone spare a coin or two so I can take her for a test sail? Shells don’t get a lot of loot these days.

As a reminder, before we get into Q&A, with all the new features we provide, there is also significant development going on with optimization and maintenance of the current game. Again, these teams work in tandem and you can expect the major patches with overhauls or additions to some of the major gameplay components to come in due time. Meanwhile, to make sure our fellow pathfinders don't feel like they're overboard without a life preserver, we'll be releasing additional smaller content continuously until the big items we’re working on are ready to set sail. 
The ships to a better ATLAS have already charted their course and shoved off, but until then, doesn't mean we can't take a ride on a dolphin or seahorse and enjoy the voyage.

Without further ado, here’s our Q&A! Hang out at our Discord for a chance to get your questions answered in the next Q&A!

:anchor: Q&A :anchor:

Does the dev team have any thoughts on merging EU and NA pvp or maybe merging all of the servers to make 1 big megamap? 
Yeah.  We understand that this would be a lot of fun from the perspective of increasing the populations, but we're not ready to do this yet for two reasons: 
1. We are concerned about lag when people are playing in distant servers (we locate the servers near where people are playing, so EU servers are in EU and any NA players going to those servers would suffer more lag). 
 2. There would always be a time when roughly half the population would be sleeping and thus easy pickings. Overall, we think that this will add to frustration until we have implemented ways of players protecting their stuff when offline. 

Have you thought about making less planks needed on the lowest layer of ship building?
Yes. The new ship system will handle this much better once it rolls out.

How does the team feel about setting minimum stat values for blueprints at each rarity and adjusting the maximums, so that 300% cannons as an example cannot exist and so mythical blueprints that are no better than common ones don’t exist either?
There is a huge balance pass in progress for blueprints right now.  Please let us know what you think once it's done.

Are there any plans to reduce stun duration with shield bash or even use a diminish return so it isn't an indefinite lockdown?
Yes. There is a lot about combat that really bothers us and stun locking is number one.  It's on the list.

Are there any plans for more "old style" ships to be released (build from frame up ones) or will all future ones at this point be prebuilt?
The new system contemplates a more modular design that isn't as intricate as the old system and isn't "prebuilt". For now they are as we work on the system, but ultimately it will be a modular system that allows you to swap components and create ships with different functions without allowing for the crazy exploits that the current system permits.  It will also be more performant which should improve frame rate.

Any plans for bigger structures, like sea-walls/gates? So there's less need of overbuild harbours with thousands of structures?
Absolutely.  We have this on our radar and will be looking into it as soon as time allows.  We hear you.

When can we expect more pvp balances to come? 
It would be great if players could provide a detailed list of changes they would like to see in the Discord channel.  We have a long list of things we're fixing from the old team and putting a complete and forward thinking list up in the discord channel is the single best way to be heard. This goes out to all our players, not just Official PVP. 🙂 (For example, last week’s survey was based on a compiled list of player concerns) 

When will the SoTD loot table be fixed? Also the instant/infinite respawn of Sea Fort tax banks? Will there be some tweaks also to the market/warehouse/farmhouse structures to limit companies from spamming them so that new/returning players can have a chance to get their markets up?
Consider them all added to the list. Cheers!

Will we see a new bossfight anytime soon?
Not for a while.  We have to fix all the broken stuff and introduce new features first.  In general, Bossfights didn't work well and were easily exploited.

Will Seahorses and Dolphins eventually be able to follow behind ships?
Yes.  We are also looking into having them pull ships for speed and maneuverability.

Any update on tradewinds?
They are coming.  :). We are still working on them and they should be here at the end of Q2 beginning of Q3.  It might be sooner but don't want to promise it sooner than that.

Any ETA on some bug fixing and stability patches?
We run patches roughly every 2 weeks. There are a number of fixes associated with each patch so we are doing this constantly. If your particular issue isn't being surfaced, please join our discord and let it be known there.

:anchor: Final Note :anchor:

Again, we would like to emphasize that ATLAS is still in Early Access, meaning many things can and will likely continue to drastically change - even in the middle of development. Anything discussed is only up to date as of the moment it is posted. Features and changes that ultimately make it to the next patch, as well as timing, may be different from what was previously discussed. 

As always, we appreciate the suggestions and feedback from the community. Please keep them coming! Thank you for all of your support! 🙂

awioy6WY2xnAc-4irCQiRbzKerW2lrfcKK_jmIO1

Happy Sailing,

- ATLAS Crew

:skull: For the latest dispatch on #playATLAS keep yer one good eye trained on this here information :skull:

Natter n' chatter on Discord: https://discord.gg/playatlas

Hear ye, hear ye on Twitter: https://twitter.com/sailtheatlas

Watch us scallywags on Twitch: http://twitch.tv/sailtheatlas

Plus ye can band with us Pirates on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/playatlasgame

View full article

• Like 1

I am wondering are you looking at adding more content for pve to do it is honestly getting quite boring as there is no new content for players and you can only blow up so many pirate ships

• Like 1

Just now, gladriele said:

I am wondering are you looking at adding more content for pve to do it is honestly getting quite boring as there is no new content for players and you can only blow up so many pirate ships

PVE is, by nature, finite content. Once you've beaten the kraken on all three difficulties.. why do it again? No matter how much new PVE content they add, at some point you will have played it all. 
Conversely, Player vs Player content is infinitely replayable. The problem being that at present the choices are a PVE world or a PVP world. 
There needs to be an opt-in, bounded PVP activity. Something similar the Kraken grid, where when it's activated, anyone in the grid is flagged for PVP, even on the PVE cluster, with rewards and win conditions besides simply team deathmatch. 
Examples:
They're stealing our ship!
During this event,  make all ships (near) instantly pirateable. If you're able to get on deck, and get to the wheel, you can sail it. if your company is still holding the wheel at the end of the event, you gain ownership. 
Stop putting holes in my ship!
During this event, gold is deposited in your ship's resource chest for a percentage of damage that your ship does to enemy ships. Careful not to get too greedy! Also, a good event to come salvaging in the grid afterwards for ill-gotten gains.
Can't sell sunken ships.
During this event, earn rewards (mythos, gold, BPs?) for ships that you control at the end of the match. Near-instant stealing rules apply, but ships ownership reverts at the end of the match. The challenge is to Capture ships, not sink them, so grappling and boarding actions are in order. 
This is my island!
The grid is populated with numerous small islands, each with control points. Players are rewarded based on how many islands their company owns at the end of the event. 
Squidball
A mini-kraken spawns in the middle of the map. It will move across the map away from whichever tentacle is taking the most damage. Companies are randomly assigned a compass point on the map, and win if the kraken is pushed into a control area at that compass point. 
Legend of Leagues
Yeah, LoL, Atlas style. Mid-sized Islands spawn at opposite corners of the map, and the goal is to capture the opposing team's island. Participating companies are assigned to an island team. Small shipyards at the islands spawn 'creep' ships - SOD schooners, while large shipyards allow players to purchase premade Brigs or Galleons. Smaller islands have mercenaries that can be bought or pressganged - squads of sloops up to a boss Galleon. SInking enemy ships awards Dubloons to the team's crew silo - currency specifically for purchasing ships during the event. 

• Like 2

Yall stupid fucks, changing the ship building system? That was the selling point of the game. 
As costumizable as you possibly can make without breaking the limits of whats possible. 
Fix bugs first before adding new content to the game that is already broken. (nvm just remembered yall developing is just adding more bugs to the game) 

230-2300754_basic-nipple-clipart.png

• Like 4

Please no tames pulling ships that will be just dumb. 

45 minutes ago, gladriele said:

The other half of the game is on pvp so play there. 

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, J.Dawson said:

Yall stupid fucks, changing the ship building system? That was the selling point of the game. 
As costumizable as you possibly can make without breaking the limits of whats possible. 
Fix bugs first before adding new content to the game that is already broken. (nvm just remembered yall developing is just adding more bugs to the game) 

230-2300754_basic-nipple-clipart.png

Agreed if I can’t build my own ship to fit my PlayStyle it’s time to move on to something else. The selling point for me was customization and making my ship mine. If I wanted to be sailing or driving the same thing as everyone else there are already better games out there for that. 

Edited by Reeking cannonbait
  • Like 1

Any idea on how long before u go back to flags instead of island claim so ppl wi play again. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ATLAS said:

Ahoy Pathfinders!

Conch here, bringing the latest edition of Atlas Community Q&A with the Devs!

Without further ado, here’s our Q&A! Hang out at our Discord for a chance to get your questions answered in the next Q&A

How does the team feel about setting minimum stat values for blueprints at each rarity and adjusting the maximums, so that 300% cannons as an example cannot exist and so mythical blueprints that are no better than common ones don’t exist either?
There is a huge balance pass in progress for blueprints right now.  Please let us know what you think once it's done.

Are there any plans to reduce stun duration with shield bash or even use a diminish return so it isn't an indefinite lockdown?
Yes. There is a lot about combat that really bothers us and stun locking is number one.  It's on the list.

When can we expect more pvp balances to come? 
It would be great if players could provide a detailed list of changes they would like to see in the Discord channel.  We have a long list of things we're fixing from the old team and putting a complete and forward thinking list up in the discord channel is the single best way to be heard. 

When will the SoTD loot table be fixed? Also the instant/infinite respawn of Sea Fort tax banks? Will there be some tweaks also to the market/warehouse/farmhouse structures to limit companies from spamming them so that new/returning players can have a chance to get their markets up?
Consider them all added to the list. Cheers!

Any ETA on some bug fixing and stability patches?
We run patches roughly every 2 weeks. There are a number of fixes associated with each patch so we are doing this constantly. If your particular issue isn't being surfaced, please join our discord and let it be known there.

As always, we appreciate the suggestions and feedback from the community. Please keep them coming! Thank you for all of your support! 🙂

View full article

To the Atlas Development Team

1.People have spent HOURS HERE on YOUR COMPANIES OFFICIAL MESSAGE BOARDS providing feedback. If anyone appreciated it you'd be saying "Hey Jimbob McGee thank you for your feedback". Its cleanly typed with points, subpoints and rebuttals. Stop redirecting and obfuscating by telling us to use discord or any other 3rd party product.

2. The new Dev Team has owned this since June of last year, throwing the old Dev Team under the bus is scapegoating and speaks volumes about the competence and honesty of the leadership . I don't even code but I KNOW an SotD loot table or blueprint quality range adjustments can be made for the ENTIRE game in less than a few hours.

3. THIS SITE IS AVAILABLE TO ALL YOUR USERS, DISCORD ISN'T. "Forward thinking lists" belong HERE. Period. Your clearly giving forum members the brush off. MMOs BEGAN ON MESSAGE BOARDS YOU BUNCH OF ASS CLOWNS. YOUR IGNORANCE AND INSINCERITY IS BEYOND COMPARE.

Tough choices need to be made. Your either scared or incapable of making them.

Jesus Christ, maybe if you would have said Covid was slowing progress I would have believed you, but blaming YOUR random, selfish and inconsistent progress on development of this game on people not around to defend themselves. Grow the fuck up.

Your clearly running blind and trying to hide it

Edited by Ranger1k
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Here is a quick suggestion:

To keep it simple- maybe create a top ten list of fixes on this site and let us vote on them.

Allow people to post their own fixes/suggestions  there but no rebuttal comments. Just votes.

Simple but effective!

Could u fix this anyone can turn your farms off. Its causing alot of problems on pve. If that was addressed it was not fixed. I have fuel i have nothing in it. And ppl walk up trolling turning it off. Also not the only person having the issue

Edited by protozz
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, protozz said:

Could u fix this anyone can turn your farms off. Its causing alot of problems on pve

If you're talking about the farmhouses being turned on/off by random trolls, I do believe they've already taken care of that previously. Otherwise your farmhouse will turn itself off if any of the following happen: It runs out of fuel, it reaches its weight capacity, or it reaches storage capacity.

im just waiting to play again when i can make a ship in a day or two without haveing to risk severaplo thousands of golsd just to go pick up some exotic wood

13 minutes ago, russman7979 said:

im just waiting to play again when i can make a ship in a day or two without haveing to risk severaplo thousands of golsd just to go pick up some exotic wood

If you followed the patches and updates and utilized the new trade system you wouldn’t have to sail across the map for wood. If you don’t want any risk go play pve gold is super easy to come by and shouldn’t have trouble collecting gold through maps and whales in a few hours. Gold cost is good for the game! 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, protozz said:

Any idea on how long before u go back to flags instead of island claim so ppl wi play again. 

How does this prevent people from playing. Go claim an island. If you can’t take an island you can’t hold an island. So be a settler or claim a piece of lawless, if you can’t defend your lawless base  well you have no reason to own land. 

I play pve not pvp and I can play but its retarded how its set up were u don't have to do a thing but log in once ever week and a half move gold from warehouse and log out.     So u really think ppl who don't play holding islands makes ppl want to ay pve

5 minutes ago, Reeking cannonbait said:

How does this prevent people from playing. Go claim an island. If you can’t take an island you can’t hold an island. So be a settler or claim a piece of lawless, if you can’t defend your lawless base  well you have no reason to own land. 

So u think ppl logging in just to move gold and logging out every week and a half on pve makes ppl who play daily 4 hours a day or more really want to keep playing. I really want to know how this is your train of thought. U have what 100 claims now. When old system had 2000. So how does making it hard to own a small spot on pve harder then when they switched systems cause so many complained about no spot helps. Its not that it prevents ppl from playing but im not going to play 60 hours a week again to be put in the worst build locations by pll who half dont even play the game but 2 hours a week. 

You want suggestions huh?... Sorry y'all I'm out of them, all I have are solutions.

72 hours almost up.

You have my contact info

Edited by Ranger1k
  • Thanks 1

It's really gr8 to see that we've got updates once a week. It means DEVs are with us, and didn't drop the game.

As for a ship above I just wanna repeat what I said earlier. Ship looks cool. Sails looks wrong, due to lack of cables from forward to backward of ship. In past times there were a lot of cables connect all masts altogether and ship from forward to backward part of a ship. Like here:

fig71.png

I mean we not necessary need this kind of net, but I really do hope, that one day we'll have this rigging equipment with ladders, masts, ropes cables, flags and sailspots alltogether. And if ship building system will turn to something this-like:

EYrFFEu.jpg

I'll be glad, but... well... those ramming and new one prefab ships will be out of this system, so... maybe you introduce all "new ship system" and "sails overhaul" first, and then work new ships???

And yeah. Wipe guys. Can you at least tell us, will it be soon, or a bit later?

• Like 2

Atlas is a big game (I mean that dev achieved it is amazing with current technology and cost. It is a huge project) and there is no limit to make PvE and  PvP content. Players who say go to play PvP if you get bored on PvE. Please don't mix player base because PvP is not PvE and if PvE players want to do PvP so they will go to PvP server so you don't to say this on posts because it looks ... Eveyone have own playstyle.

There is thousands and thousands stories about pirates and so on. I suggest to add these stories, quests, treasures and so on. What you need to make a new game system where you can add content and maintain without hassle. Second a new character progression system where you can carry character progression over other servers. With this system you can make dedicated server for specific game content and another good thing what you can jump on PvP server without need to start from zero.

To dev team, you have huge project and you can do so many things.

Good luck pirates :)

• Thanks 1

Any intent to make residue obtainable in some reasonable fashion? I haven't had a jelly fish spawn in literally 4 hours after 8 hours of nonstop grinding

Another hour goes by and still not a single jellyfish, did you break the game again?

Edited by Grindmore

Base building conversation!!!! I would to be I touch with Devs about adding a new design for interior and exterior to person base building its not alot they could litterally take some stuff from Ark Primitive plus for exterior but interior I was thinking plant hangers better beds maybe add rugs candles and candle holders small simple things that I think you all have files for any ways I would love it and I think others would too 

Edited by QUSP COLOSSAL

Are there any plans for more "old style" ships to be released (build from frame up ones) or will all future ones at this point be prebuilt?

The new system contemplates a more modular design that isn't as intricate as the old system and isn't "prebuilt". For now they are as we work on the system, but ultimately it will be a modular system that allows you to swap components and create ships with different functions without allowing for the crazy exploits that the current system permits.  It will also be more performant which should improve frame rate.

Tread carefully here devs.  Simplifying this system will likely lose the hardcore player base. 

• Thanks 2