Lazyboy947

Self hosted 3x3 maps not working

I recently started hosting a 3x3 server for my friends with some old parts I had around. Currently the server is up and running and mostly playable. So far each person can connect and play except that their maps are not working.

After looking for answers online I had them do a workaround by just manually adding the jpgs to their local install location, which works. But a secondary problem came up where treasure maps dont work or even show up after looting. I'm assuming its tied together.

I recently re exported the maps and Json file with an adjusted seamless Port which didn't help and the port change stopped transition to another grid. Some have the old blank maps in their local installs and others don't even have the unique ID folder listed. When they initially connected.

I'm a bit at a loss and looking for possible insight or assistance as also a island on the map apparently doesn't exist in game. So a few weird things.

Any additional info need just let me know

Welcome to Atlas Server bootcamp. You'll be bloody and exhausted when you get it working 😄
I JUST got mine up and running smoothly after 3 weeks of work.

If I understand right, you're having 2 issues? 1st where the treasure map bottles give you nothing, and the other where you have issues with the in-game map? (Did you fix it or still have issues? I can't tell from your post) The treasure map bottle may be a bug in the game. On our server, about 1 out of 3 bottles give us nothing... is it every bottle?

As for the in-game map, make sure you're putting the image files in the right folder. You have to create a folder called "ServerGrid" manually. (I don't know why. There's so many things about setting up a server for this game that doesn't make much sense.) So they go in: <YourAtlasServerDirectory>/Shootergame/ServerGrid" (Remember, you'll need to create that folder, if you havent already.)

The next thing I would suggest is download 2 tools that will make things much easier for you: 1st go here and download the Atlas Server Update Manager ("ASUU"). It makes things much easier. I wish I had found it before working on my server for 2 weeks. It's a program that helps you manage your server settings without having to deal with all the different files and code.

You'll also need to get the Atlas Grid Editor (AGE), which is the official tool by Grapeshot games for making and setting up your world map. It even comes with a few pre-made maps that you can play or edit to make your own. The instructions for this are a bit involved, so I'll just give you some wiki links: https://www.survivalservers.com/wiki/index.php?title=Atlas_Server_Grid_Editor and https://atlas.gamepedia.com/Server_setup -  If you have any questions, just reply here to me.
(AGE has a function in it that allows you to export your map image files to the directory automatically.) 

NOTE: THe official release of the AGE has some defuct (Broken) islands in it and is missing some new islands. Download an updated version of it's Islands.json file here, and place it in the /Data/ folder inside the program's directory. This will update the island assets in the editor to include the new ones and get rid of the broken ones. (It will also update the AGE to have 2 new error messages upon launch! Ignore them 😄 it just means 2 of the island thumbnails are broken in the program.)

If you and your friends are not too far invested in your world, I would delete everything and use these tools to start fresh. It's the only way I could get it working, and there's great helpful discord servers. The ASUU program does have a wizard that allows you to specify your existing server's directory and import it's info, but I found it just imports bad setups and doesn't work, so I ended up starting from scratch.

Some imPORTant tips:
NEVER use 27000's ports for anything on your server, even though many many setup guides will tell you to use it for your seamless ports. Use 28000's instead. The problem is that Steam itself uses ports in the 27000's range and you cant change that.

Make sure each square in your grid/cluster has a port number that is at least 2 apart from the last. For example, each grid square should have 28000, 28002, 28004 etc. 
After an incredible amount of frustration and troubleshooting, and help from great people on Discord, I use the following Port setup for my 4x4 server:
Query Ports: 55511-55541 (Skipping 2 each grid)
Game Ports: 5511-5541
Seamless: 28011-28041
RCON: 32011-32041
Server IP should always be the same in every grid, your public IP.
RCON IP should be: 127.0.0.1 (Nothing else will work right)

If you're on Discord, there are two excellent Discord servers where you can get help: 
General Atlas Server Owner Help: https://discord.gg/KQ2xxec9
Atlas Server Update Utility Help: https://discord.gg/Vp4bmzb4

People at both servers helped me a lot in getting my server fixed up.

I know this is a lot of information. Just reply here if you have any questions.

• Like 1

Yes both are still an issue, I feel at some point I dont quite recall but the 1 in 3 treasure map make some sense and what then maybe the maps not working means the treasure map doesn't?

I have the servergrid folder in shootergame with the cellimg_0-0.jpg named for all grids and mapimg.jpg. the folder was spit out on grid editor export.

The ports were a confusing part for me as most guides tell/show what to do but doesn't quite explain the rationale. In my query port I only gave 1 between each ending in 1, 3, 5, etc and my seamless at 27000.

Appreciate the information! I will review and make some changes. Thank you.

5 hours ago, Lazyboy947 said:

maps not working means the treasure map doesn't?

I don't know enought to be certain this is the problem, but I would guess it is likely!

The ports were a confusing part for me as most guides tell/show what to do but doesn't quite explain the rationale. In my query port I only gave 1 between each ending in 1, 3, 5, etc and my seamless at 27000.

Ports are one of the most frustrating and confusing parts of setting up the server IMO. Almost any problem you have will probably be port related. LOL Good luck and I hope you can get it working. 

the folder was spit out on grid editor export.

Just to clarify, make sure it's really exporting to the right directory. In my case, it always wants to go to a different ServerGrid folder and I have to tell it to export to the correct folder every time.

Make sure to join thos Discords. I found them super helpful and patient with my 1000 questions.

Edited by Captain Dingbat

Either way I appreciate the info. More insightful info that I've gotten than looking at old posts and guides. 

Just changing seamless Port to 28000 range seems to have fixed treasure maps. More testing to come to be sure though.

I have a few non existent islands or they appear under water to deal with. So maybe those broken islands or something a new json file can fix. 

Last immediate thing if you have experience with rcon. What program would you recommend? I briefly looked into it and got old or in my mind sketchy info.

Hello, I have a question about where I can set up a 4x4 server to always have a treasure map in the bottles. Currently, it rarely gives.

On 1/22/2021 at 2:00 AM, Captain Dingbat said:

Below discord invite is expired. Is there still a good discord group out there. I want to get my 4x4 up and running again, but need a current island list. Currently spawn into the sea. yarr. yaK.

If you're on Discord, there are two excellent Discord servers where you can get help: 
General Atlas Server Owner Help: https://discord.gg/KQ2xxec9
Atlas Server Update Utility Help: https://discord.gg/Vp4bmzb4

People at both servers helped me a lot in getting my server fixed up.

I know this is a lot of information. Just reply here if you have any questions.