Sign in to follow this  
tomspayne75

How unforgivable is Atlas when it comes to PVP?

Spent most of the weekend trying to get into servers, like everyone else. Finally get in this afternoon! Spend most of the day with a few of my buddies learning the game. Realizing we're stranded if we start on a Lawless server fighting high level creatures with no spawn points, we brave the servers again to get into a Freeport. With a bit of perseverance, success! The four of us gather supplies to get our raft up and running so we can go lay claims on land on distant islands. Took us most of the evening/night to finally set sail. After realizing we can't claim land in the adjacent lawless area, my crew mates head off to bed but I'm determined and nocturnal... I kept sailing and found land we can claim land in... but we were not the first crew to settle the area.

I know this game is pvp, but I didn't realize how little protection you actually have when sailing alone with offline crewmates on your raft. As I was exploring the island for decent land to claim, I get jumped by another crew. Killed, looted... Not long after, they find my raft, kill and loot my sleeping crewmates, bre 192.168.1.254k the bed on it, and start stealing our ship. So... all that progress was lost. Wtf..?

Now I have to spawn hours away with literally nothing. A boat two tiles away and in the process of being stolen, no land claimed, no beds to spawn in. Damn. What if I had settled land and went afk? Can someone rush in and break our spawn points and kill us then? Was I one step shy of keeping my crew safe? I'd like to know how unforgiving this game is. Seems pretty unfair for people flying solo or in smaller groups. Might be convinced to play on PVE instead if that's the case, unless I can find a huge well established crew to sail with.. 10.0.0.0.1

Edited by tomspayne75

well there are multiple ways to get started... i did jump into atlas "again" during the holiday buff on a lawless island... built up a stone base without ship or tames "cuz you can not protect those" and never got raided...

why?

cuz i know what ive to do to protect my stuff...

1. you could have built a sloop with wood walls and door to protect your bed

2. hide your bed somewhere if you build no walls around it

3. if you spawn on lawless try to not attack large animals "get hide of sheep, chicken, pig etc" and avoid predators

4. you can not protect your ship or tames no matter what if you are offline and if you are on it is still pretty hard

(no towers, fortifications or npc will change that fact)

5. learn how to stay alive and be efficient

6. if you need help ingame msg me

Edited by Wichtelman
  • Like 1

Yeah is a tough PVP game, but you can hold your ground if you play smart.

Much easier than in ARK where you have just the choice of being either a member of the alpha alliance or dead meat.

@Wichtelman 4. is not true since we have the armored docks

Edited by Dev Crusher

The Armored Dock is a structure built in shallow water to dock a ship inside of. It must be destroyed before the ship can be damaged.

so putting too much weight on a ship is no thing anymore?

(also to stay afk and hidden on a ship with a million ton of weight)

ive seen some twitch streams on PVE showing me some shady stuff...

https://www.twitch.tv/elementallegion/clip/ViscousMistySkunkAliens?filter=clips&range=7d&sort=time

Edited by Wichtelman

Unfortunately I have to let you know that you joined this game in a very sad time.

Even you started with friends the game play is currently very broken due to the new dev team adding new stuff and thinking about rediculos balancing aspects.

I loved playing this game for about 2000 hours during the season after Xbox lounch 2019/2020. It had a great map and and quite good balancing and server capacity to get your own island with about 10 players we controlled a relatively uncontested complete grid. Well it was not good for Xbox One players because of too low performance.

Now you start under the hardest hardcore survival conditions with no access to ships(gold cost) and no access to land(claimable islands but very less of them). Maybe your biggest failure is to start learning this game on PvP server without having someone to teach you. I promise you that you will play about 1 year under this conditions until you get an idea of the ship fight meta... (of course there seams to be none except some mega tribes) I stopped playing as many others after the wipe notes released the ship gold costs and the implemented barrels on cannons at that time(which is luckly not possible anymore).

I recommend you to go on a private server with increased gatter rates(3x). 10x is stupid but to play on the official servers with 1x is a real pain. Best are servers that include safe PVE settle grids and some PvP grids. This is the only way you can play PvP "ship fight game" in the evening and having a good time going to sleep or work without worry about losing all.(Yes ALL)

The players that managed to get something build up and feel safe, have done all PVE stuff(for the 5/6 time) just have nothing else to do than destroying. This is the current online world of Atlas where you don't want to loot anything from your oponents because there is nothing vulnerable but you just destroy because you can.

But you are lucky. They could have imprisioned you and if they now what to do they coul keep you alife for a month for example where you can't do anything than be locked in a cage pressing your "shout" buttom in the hopes this will dry your stamina that you may die from this. This will take you about 1-2 hours if they don't stop you doing this^^ (I am not sure if there was a change that even closed this suicide option or make it even worse in some of the last patches)

Besides all this the game can be realy funny playing it in a group. You will learn tricks like overweighting yourself and get pushed forward by your mate hitting you with a spyglass that does no damage. A great function improving the teamplay(if it was not concidered as a bug/explot) Once you get 414 discovery points you can move faster due to a learned skill. There is really much to explore and learn in this game. For example taming which got very useless due to farmhouses(elephant, giraffe, rhino)

But on official PvP without knowledge and protection(offline fear) you will not climb to the stars, that's for sure. And that is a very bad way this game is going. It was difficult to learn  once for me too and i got lots of help from allied players to get decent knowledge and beeing the greatest captain of one of the last Sea battles of one of the longest and greatest seasons on EU PvP(for one evening at least). Ah that was fun sailing my mighty Brig versus 13 enemy Brigs and the Gally fleet waiting in front of the harbor not able to get the harbor run started.

@Wichtelman your playstyle is not including 10% of what Atlas should be and allow players to do. There is no reason playing like this on PvP server. You don't get raided because everybody knows that you do not have anything to loot at all. And i guess your base is up on a mountain that can't be reached by tames with cannon or catapult on the cargo. Otherwise it would be raided daily. (if there are still players out there... with no ships they can't afford raiding lawless daily^^)

i wont tell how i protect my stuff and i have to agree that the game should not be played like that...

11 minutes ago, Nacona said:

You don't get raided because everybody knows that you do not have anything to loot at all.

that is not true but adds more protection if it looks like that i gues... 😄

protected my stuff like that while in large companies and also solo... farmed rare resources or gold... even in war my stuff was pretty safe... stupid but it works...

Edited by Wichtelman

well of course you can hide some boxes underwater or try to find bushes that may not be searched by others. Also i do not know all islands completely there are some where you still can fall through one mesh layer or have an opening to pass through and place structures on the mesh below. But this is exploit using and when detected will lead to a permanent ban. I remember my island had a water fall in a second mesh 1m below the true surface. But you just fall through the true surface. So as we passed this position regularly we had tto build an escape structure from that hole to stay up on the mountain... otherwise you dropped down to the ground level. At least there was no way to fall down below the mesh which was possible in other Unreal engine games. I guess this map mesh bugs are pretty often somewhere to find.

Well building harbor in the water you are allowed to build in mesh as there are "rocks" which are visible but have no collision. This places are very good hideouts as well. Enemys can find this if they try to build nearby and get message area blocked.

You can also build triangle stone bunkers with like 10-15 walls following each other. This could make players leave if they don't get inside after 200 balls shot and runnning out of amunition. But that's also more gambling than secure life.

Putting everything on the freeport is the other option but it does not feel like a home.

So why not give players a safe zone? This game should be about the seas with land based supply structures of the survival and farm elements. It's not ark anymore where you have cafes in the map to place hidden homes.

one of the more frustrating things if you choose an island to settle down... if you can not find metal nodes or if they are on top of the mountain... if the tames you want "early bear" or "late elephant" are xx grids away... most of the time i just try to find an island where the most heavy resources are easy to get... oil or similiar light stuff can be shipped...

can you still put tames in freeport with your gold?

the sad thing is you could still kill the tames in a freeport...

Edited by Wichtelman