Sign in to follow this  
Captain Jack Shadow

Ships of the damned were on purpose. Let this be an EA lesson.

Yes, this was on purpose.  Connect the dots.  Skill tree is drastically reduced.  People would no longer be able to get to a big ship as quickly as some of us did, as a result.  WC determines this is unfair, so they set the Ghost ships to ZERG.  To the point that they started going after ships in drydock.  Now, from WC's perspective, this is a good thing.  However, when you buy an early access game, you do so to not be late to the party.  Think about this...if you are late to a party, or function of some sort, the best food is gone if you are late.  It pays to be early.  So this is the carrot devs constantly imply...get here early...you don't want to be late to the party and have to settle for what's left over.  But what they did is like giving everyone who arrived early, a door prize, and those prizes get worse as the party goes on, but then, they went to those who arrived early, and demand the prize back, so now, you were actually penalized for arriving early.

Think not?  It's easy.  Had this been a mistake on their part, they could have easily rolled back the servers to the last save before the update.  This is how you know this was on purpose.  The problem is that those of us who were early, who stuck it out through the worst bugs, and constant server interruptions...got a big kick in the teeth from the devs.  Over a week of game play gone in 5 minutes, by their design.  This happened to everybody who had a big ship.  The smaller ships were OK.  It's the big ships that were hit.  Anyone who tried to sail a big ship, lost it as several Ghost Ships swarmed you to ensure you did not make it.  The rafts and smallest ships went unnoticed by the ghost ships, for the most part.

So let this be a lesson.  We rush out like a crack addict, thinking it will pay to be first on the scene.  This shows you in living color, that this simply is not true.  We simply help perpetuate a system where we pay for a game in development, and by the time it is polished, or hopefully close to polished, it is time to move on to the next buggy game in development.

I won't do it anymore.  Just not worth the hassle.  I want my money back.

The small ships were not okay. I was in a lawless region and saw at least 15 anchored or currently being built sloops and schooners burn. And heard many complaints from the other two islands in the region. 

So those who were arriving late also got a swift one in the teeth.

Hundreds of ships spawning in and destroying everything? Skill tree reworked to make it harder to do anything? Resources taking forever to respawn?

Yeah it was on purpose. They said a galleon would take over 1000 hours to build, but people had 10-20 of them in a day or two.

Didnt hear you complaining when the other 75% of the players that started few days later  were not even in the possibilty to claim/build anything... welcome to the club

Depends on what you call small.  I am saying rafts, and the smallest ships.  I saw many of them doing OK.  Know many who said the ghost ships didn't aggro to them.  Even then, the small ships thing isn't the point.  OK, expand it to all ships.  You arrive here early to get the fruits of being early.  But then everything you labored for is taken from you.  Seriously, had this not been their intention, they would have rolled back to the save before the update, and fixed the update before putting it back in.  Or, at a minimum, rolled back to right after the update, and turned off those ships.  Make no mistake...this was on purpose as a result of how drastically the restricted the skill tree.  It was a big kick in the teeth to those who put up with the bugs, and constant disconnects.  We earned a head start.

3 minutes ago, Captain Jack Shadow said:

Depends on what you call small.  I am saying rafts, and the smallest ships.  I saw many of them doing OK.  Know many who said the ghost ships didn't aggro to them.  Even then, the small ships thing isn't the point.  OK, expand it to all ships.  You arrive here early to get the fruits of being early.  But then everything you labored for is taken from you.  Seriously, had this not been their intention, they would have rolled back to the save before the update, and fixed the update before putting it back in.  Or, at a minimum, rolled back to right after the update, and turned off those ships.  Make no mistake...this was on purpose as a result of how drastically the restricted the skill tree.  It was a big kick in the teeth to those who put up with the bugs, and constant disconnects.  We earned a head start.

I feel you, to be fair though that headatart could be largely attributes to player literally not able to connect. No fault of their but rather the servers not even allowing them to connect. Your point stands though, just thought id add my two cents.

Just now, Zappa said:

Didnt hear you complaining when the other 75% of the players that started few days later  were not even in the possibilty to claim/build anything... welcome to the club

We were in that group.  But we went to a lawless region, and worked hard to build a ship, kill PvPers trying to destroy it, worked through the bugs, and disconnects.  Finally, when it is finished, we set sail to try to make a claim.  I warned against this as I had heard that it was bad news to try to go after a claim, and that there were none to be had.  My vote was to stay where we were.  But as it turns out, that was a no-go as those ghost ships then began wrecking everything, including the ships in drydocks.

Sorry, but after working that hard to get that ship, only to lose it like that, and have nothing afterwards, I have zero motivation to now do it on an even harder, ludicrous skill tree.  I play games for fun, and to be challenged, not to be frustrated.  It is not challenging to hit a rock 10 times to get a small amount of materials.  That's tedious.  This is one area the unofficial servers tend to be superior.  And then there is the frustration when you don't have the skill tree to do what needs done, because the other 5 members of your company all logged off.  So there isn't anything you can do.  More frustration because you can't get done what needs to get done.