Sign in to follow this  
actionandy99

Claim System

9 hours ago, Whitehawk said:

after all a faction is simply a different flag is it not? 

If someone is griefing their own company the company have the option to remove that person. If you inside a company, your reputation will be tarnished and you will struggle to find someone else that is willing to take you in. Right now, the community is the dynamic karma system that prevents griefing. If you take that away, you need to replace it with something else.

You also get players who will always join the underdog, just for the sheer hell of it. There's nothing better in pvp imo than beating your opponent when the odds are totally stacked against it.

You can already do this in the current system by simply talking to people, find out who is at war and aid whoever you feel is the underdog.

And seriously I don't see how factions could make it any worse than it is now for the solo or small group anyway.

Faction system or not you still have to reach out to the other companies if you want them to help you and they will still have the option to not do anything about it. 

If you want to make a case for factions, you need to come up with a system or set of rules that stop griefing and give an incentive to aid your faction.

Factions or not though, griefing is a big part of any online survival and rpg game. And no one has found a really good solution for it yet unfortunately.

If you have factions there would be no companies, they need doing away with because it's mega group game at moment and heavily tilted that way.

Nobody is saying it would be easy to change to factions but this is what they should be coming up with and designing around it.

At least in a faction everyone is in the same situation and defends each other, if they don't they lose something and that island/fort which gives more motivation to work together. 

This game right now casts solo players aside, you either join mega and get told to chop wood all day or goodbye. There is no piracy in game, not like it should be, the whole system needs to change.

New devs have come in but what a surprise still thinking the old Ark way of things, nothing new about new puppets. The ones pulling the Ark strings are still there and game will never be successful as long as that happens.

If you removed companies and made 3 factions and thats all you did. You wouldn't even be able to build a boat, the whole time you are gathering resources people will fuck with you, as soon as you start crafting anything people will steal your resources, when you put down a ship in the shipyard they will build a wall infront of it so you can't get the ship out.

This type of griefing is not an issue in the current system but it 100% will be in what you are proposing. Do you have a solution?

That can actually happen on lawless btw, I can put a wall down around anyones shipyard if I wanted to. Ships are not safe either, I see someones ship I can slap a wall down around it.

You will always get griefing in 1 way or another, that goes for all games. They would have to delegate time to ticketing system.

We are not saying we have all the answers to these problems. Its not for us to come up with them, that's why they are devs. Even if we did come up with solutions they still wouldn't listen.

The faction system would probably have quadrants, certain parts are for different factions. You would start off in a safe zone. This enables what they want all along pvp as you go through these other faction areas.

Maybe certain resources you need are in another faction area so you would have to engage at times, likelihood is other same faction is also there for same to come to your aid.

They will not test these things out though, its wishful thinking but it can be done. This is why game is not fully released as in complete and I don't expect it to be. 

7 hours ago, DannyUK said:

That can actually happen on lawless btw, I can put a wall down around anyones shipyard if I wanted to. Ships are not safe either, I see someones ship I can slap a wall down around it.

You will always get griefing in 1 way or another, that goes for all games. They would have to delegate time to ticketing system.

We are not saying we have all the answers to these problems. Its not for us to come up with them, that's why they are devs. Even if we did come up with solutions they still wouldn't listen.

The faction system would probably have quadrants, certain parts are for different factions. You would start off in a safe zone. This enables what they want all along pvp as you go through these other faction areas.

Maybe certain resources you need are in another faction area so you would have to engage at times, likelihood is other same faction is also there for same to come to your aid.

They will not test these things out though, its wishful thinking but it can be done. This is why game is not fully released as in complete and I don't expect it to be. 

Lets do the say it out loud test on your first statement.

Now:

Bob builds a shipyard and a boat. Tom walls it in. Bob blows that shit up and captures Tom in a cage. Then fucks off and sails away.

With Factions:

Bob of Faction A builds a shipyard and a boat. Tom of Faction A builds a wall around it just to be a dick. Bob can do nothing as they are in the same Faction. 

See the issue here? Not even the main issue, just 1 single issue.

The main issue is.... This is a "SANDBOX" mmo game. Factions are a "THEME PARK" mmo feature. 

In a sandbox, you make your own teams and generate your own content. No one is your enemy, or everyone is your enemy, or a little of both. Your choice.

In a theme park game, the content is all there for you to just hop on and ride. Your faction is your premade team, complete with premade teammates also forced to chose a side. Quests are premade content to give you something to do. So you can join your team of their choosing and see the sites they want you to see. 

Factions belong in theme park games like WoW and ESO. That is not the theme and style Atlas was advertised or designed around.

-CS

• Like 1

Well yes it is a problem right now like I have said makes no difference but it should have changed a long time ago. What they could do is have personal claims or if someone builds within a radius or across you ships you would have the option to remove it.

I see many issues, just like I see many issues as it currently stands I am not saying there won't be. What I am saying is it would be better towards a faction system than it is now. Nobody is saying it will be a theme park either that is just your view of it, it is still a sandbox game.

The Atlas that is advertised is dead, it dies a long long time ago now. I started day 1 and left many months ago, it died within the first year. As it stands people won't be back I guarantee it.

Atlas is going down the pre fab route now anyway, no matter how many of us seem to object. As to the example of bob? even if I am in the same company , the permissions can stop me building near another company member, or adding to or destroying their base.The devs could find a workaround(optimistic I know) As for the griefing, yeh it will still be there as much as it is now. I wish it weren't , but sadly it is. By the way, is Bobs name Bob downe? or Bob Upp?

factions don't have to work the way suggested a couple of posts up. Elite Dangerous has dozens of factions but its reputation based, you don't specifically join one you just do work for them and gain/lose reputation.

19 hours ago, WilliamMitchell said:

factions don't have to work the way suggested a couple of posts up. Elite Dangerous has dozens of factions but its reputation based, you don't specifically join one you just do work for them and gain/lose reputation.

Factions implemented like ED would be fine. You are not pigeon holed in to a specific faction and unable to attack members of the same faction. ED uses them as a background story plot, where gaining influence merely unlocks better quests and access to ports. ED is also more of a sandbox design. Kind of an ED fan, wish I could land on a planet and make a base. Maybe someday SC will.....lol I joke, p2w sucks anyways.

It's the theme park WoW or ESO factions, where you are forced to play nice with a large % of the population that suck dick. No ty. Lets keep it sandbox, and keep it so I can mutiny at any point in time.

• Like 1