Kyovolk

Land a grab crazies.

When will people designing games ever learn that if you have a land claim system, without a reasonable cap people will abuse it to the point of taking away quality of the game itself.  Firstly the way I see it a solo character at maximum should be able to claim 2 or 3 land pieces. Once you form a company the 1st person in you will have a total of 5 land claims. And then every 2 or 3 people that join the company afterward you get have an extra land claim. but there needs to be a cap somewhere so you can't just take over an entire sector of the game.  PVP is fun I enjoy the hell out of it but if you can't even get a ship made and you're stuck on a raft for 5 hours because everyone says the land is claimed if you land they're gonna kill you because you might take something of theirs. no one's gonna get to immerse into the game except people that have groups of 30, 40, 50, or 100 people small groups of 3 to 10 people will never get to enjoy a game like this and have the occasional epic naval battles they want to have.

Can only agree to this. Spent pretty much the whole day yesterday sailing across the ocean to find a piece of land that could be claimed or build upon so we could construct our ship.
It's the same picture on every island:

• Either's a lawless island, and the shore is full of building yards, making it impossible to place your own
  • Or it's an island full of claims with no free spot or possibility to claim something.

I understand the nature of the game, but a limit on the amount of space you can claim, especially on PvE servers should be restricted.
There's really no need for owning that amount of land. A simple section is sufficient to build your base.

It's what this is about though. They want there to be an in game player based economy. One island might need metal that the next island has, and that island might need fiber. It's to promote communication, trade. As of right now it's just kos but hopefully it will change.

If given the opportunity you wouldn't claim an entire island or two yourself?

Edited by SoloHan88

Just now, SoloHan88 said:

It's what this is about though. They want there to be an in game player based economy. One island might need metal that the next island has, and that island might need fiber. It's to promote communication, trade. As of right now it's just kos but hopefully it will change.

I'm totally okay with limited resources per island and promoting trade. But if you're unable to claim a single spot for yourself after a whole day of sailing, it really takes out the fun of the game. I have no issue trading stuff with people if I have to, but that requires me to be able to set up shop somewhere to begin with.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Except I don't speak Chinese. Personal problem I know but we're surrounded by them =(

Just now, Poke said:

Except I don't speak Chinese. Personal problem I know but we're surrounded by them =(

Everybody is right now. It's a plague.

14 minutes ago, SoloHan88 said:

Ok but even this doesnt make sense, It's not like in the tundra the island or even grid next to you has fiber for example.  Its not like you could sail there and trade them they wont have it there.  So how do you expect such a system to work, I can't advertise accross all servers that I am buying fiber I would have to sail there to get it, so why wouldn't I just take it at that point?  How does this in any way promote some form of trade?

1 minute ago, Big Bojangles said:

Ok but even this doesnt make sense, It's not like in the tundra the island or even grid next to you has fiber for example.  Its not like you could sail there and trade them they wont have it there.  So how do you expect such a system to work, I can't advertise accross all servers that I am buying fiber I would have to sail there to get it, so why wouldn't I just take it at that point?  How does this in any way promote some form of trade?

Well you wouldn't just take it because you'd most likely have to fight whoever has the land that resource is on.

2 minutes ago, SoloHan88 said:

Well you wouldn't just take it because you'd most likely have to fight whoever has the land that resource is on.

Um wouldn't that in fact be taking it by the very definition?

2 minutes ago, Big Bojangles said:

Um wouldn't that in fact be taking it by the very definition?

And I suppose you could but it would be much easier to just trade than to potentially lose your ships and whatever resources you have on you. Promotes trade.

Edited by SoloHan88
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, SoloHan88 said:

And I suppose you could but it would be much easier to just trade than to potentially lose your ships and whatever resources you have on you. Promotes trade.

Ok but that still doesn't answer my question on how I initiate a trade?  I roll around just asking in chat investing time into sailing aimlessly to find someone to trade, only to advertise that I am a ship traveling with goods to be stolen?  I'm just saying they can promote interaction without forcing trading because of limiting resources in certain areas, it doesn't promote trade as it more promotes poor game design and stops you from being able to play the game.  Like a good game would make trading some form of benefit for people that wanted to trade not force people to trade that don't care to do so if they could spend their time going it in a way that sounded like a fun use of their time to them?  You see the point, the game is being built around forced interactions that you don't have the choice in or you just can't play.  In my opinion that is extremely poor design.

4 minutes ago, Big Bojangles said:

Ok but that still doesn't answer my question on how I initiate a trade?  I roll around just asking in chat investing time into sailing aimlessly to find someone to trade, only to advertise that I am a ship traveling with goods to be stolen?  I'm just saying they can promote interaction without forcing trading because of limiting resources in certain areas, it doesn't promote trade as it more promotes poor game design and stops you from being able to play the game.  Like a good game would make trading some form of benefit for people that wanted to trade not force people to trade that don't care to do so if they could spend their time going it in a way that sounded like a fun use of their time to them?  You see the point, the game is being built around forced interactions that you don't have the choice in or you just can't play.  In my opinion that is extremely poor design.

That's what alliances are for. Start trading local. It will expand. What I did and its working. And yes, you chat. Its what it is for. Communication. You don't have to broadcast what you have right away. I think your idea of the game is different from what it actually is. You're not supposed to just be on one island from start to finish.

Edited by SoloHan88

1 minute ago, SoloHan88 said:

That's what alliances are for. Start trading local. It will expand. What I did and its working. And yes, you chat. Its what it is for. Communication. You don't have to broadcast what you have right away. I think your idea of the game is different from what it actually is. You're not supposed to just be on one island from start to finish.

How would a local alliance help if none of the islands anywhere close have what we need and we have nothing to offer them that they don't have.  There are in fact plenty of islands that do have every basic item you would need, sugar, metal, fiber, hide, wood thatch.  When others lack some of those items but offer nothing that is as easy to obtain as those to trade.  Stop defending poor game design and make trade based around rare or end game items not basic items you need just to play the game it makes zero sense that my only option should be to make friends all over the world to play the game.  No I don't want to just stay on my island from start to finish, but I do want to be able to make basic items from it and then sail out and explore the world and make better things from there along with enjoying what the game mechanics on the open sea actually have to offer me.  I don't understand how you can defend game design that makes you have to sit on a shit for 1+ hr doing absolutely nothing to go get things, when a lot of islands have all basic resources needed but for some unexplainable reason other islands only have half the basic resources?  That is poor imbalanced game design that has nothing to do with trading.  When I sail I am half the time watching youtube cause im sitting there doing nothing, I don't want to be forced to do that just because I can not get fiber on my island and all the ones that have every basic ingredient all in one spot are completely claimed and zerged.  You sir make no sense, I can appreciate your fondness of trade but just because you think it should be a main system of the game shouldn't force me to do it because of poor design choices, it literally makes no sense.

9 minutes ago, Big Bojangles said:

How would a local alliance help if none of the islands anywhere close have what we need and we have nothing to offer them that they don't have.  There are in fact plenty of islands that do have every basic item you would need, sugar, metal, fiber, hide, wood thatch.  When others lack some of those items but offer nothing that is as easy to obtain as those to trade.  Stop defending poor game design and make trade based around rare or end game items not basic items you need just to play the game it makes zero sense that my only option should be to make friends all over the world to play the game.  No I don't want to just stay on my island from start to finish, but I do want to be able to make basic items from it and then sail out and explore the world and make better things from there along with enjoying what the game mechanics on the open sea actually have to offer me.  I don't understand how you can defend game design that makes you have to sit on a shit for 1+ hr doing absolutely nothing to go get things, when a lot of islands have all basic resources needed but for some unexplainable reason other islands only have half the basic resources?  That is poor imbalanced game design that has nothing to do with trading.  When I sail I am half the time watching youtube cause im sitting there doing nothing, I don't want to be forced to do that just because I can not get fiber on my island and all the ones that have every basic ingredient all in one spot are completely claimed and zerged.  You sir make no sense, I can appreciate your fondness of trade but just because you think it should be a main system of the game shouldn't force me to do it because of poor design choices, it literally makes no sense.

Hence why I said I think your idea of what this game is, isn't what the game actually is.

I'm not defending it. I just merely stated what this game is. It's not my favorite aspect either, but I'm playing it that way. Come over to A5, we'll help ya out.

There are resource bugs in the game, and it's only been out for a week. Full release isnt for another 2 years as stated by devs. Plenty of patches to come friend.

Edited by SoloHan88

And another thing as far as trade and PvP is concerned if you limits how much a person can claim or a company can claim then they're gonna be required to trade more because they're gonna need things that aren't in their area. also if you've got multiple clans on an island that's gonna give you good PVP if things go badd.  And that also means that enemies of yours from another island could potentially find allies on your island to stage attacks. it actually opens up more Room for various kinds of battle not just straight blow you up we're done haha we win. if there's not area available for people who don't have a large group to play you're gonna lose players and though those players might be only 34 or 5 people in a group if you lose a 100 of those groups you've potentially lost 500 players. So that's why I suggest this its basically an overall balancing mechanic. so you can still be ultra powered in the water with your giant ships but you don't need to have an entire island to do that.

1 hour ago, SoloHan88 said:

I actually just want A small base of operations and a shipyard so I can build a ship for me and my friends to go out and have adventures on the C interacting with other players and possibly even fighting go ships eventually.  I have no intention to take over an entire sector that's unreasonable in my opinion expresly for a group of small as my group.  I want to play the game I want to be the pirate on the ocean I honestly don't wanna be on land more than I have to be to repair my ship. So a single land claim is really all I need but it's almost impossible to find that I need if you find it the island isn't habited by aggressive kill on sight players instead of people that wait for you to do something worth killing for. I have always held a vast distinction between kill on sight and PvP

And just food for thought at the end of the day nobody should be killing you just for being on their island and getting resources. when the resources regenerate as rapidly as they do if they were finite it would be a completely different thing. but as it stands now as long as you're not attacking their structures or their objects there is no reason to run people off an island when you are stopping to get wood or metal that's just being a jerk and it makes the game worse for other people. making the game better for everyone had including a good PvP naval combat hand-to-hand combat when it fits the situation makes it more immersive and at the end of the day a better experience even for those that lose. 

10 minutes ago, Kyovolk said:

I actually just want A small base of operations and a shipyard so I can build a ship for me and my friends to go out and have adventures on the C interacting with other players and possibly even fighting go ships eventually.  I have no intention to take over an entire sector that's unreasonable in my opinion expresly for a group of small as my group.  I want to play the game I want to be the pirate on the ocean I honestly don't wanna be on land more than I have to be to repair my ship. So a single land claim is really all I need but it's almost impossible to find that I need if you find it the island isn't habited by aggressive kill on sight players instead of people that wait for you to do something worth killing for. I have always held a vast distinction between kill on sight and PvP

If you don't claim and entire island it just gives others the opportunity to.take what you have to do claimed and eventually force you off the island. That's unfortunately how these games work.

You guys are aware that you can steal land claims? They are not permanent. If somoene owns everything why don't you ask someone if you and your friends can move into the island? Why don't you ask someone who owns land if you can join them? Why would you even believe that you could do this all with a small group if you have played other games similar to this one and understand how they work? If this is a game about claiming territory and you see everyones got the territory then there are only 2 options..... Join someone with land, or fight for land control. Thats not going to change because you are unwilling to do either and it would be narcissistic to think otherwise.

1 hour ago, wakko151 said:

You guys are aware that you can steal land claims? They are not permanent. If somoene owns everything why don't you ask someone if you and your friends can move into the island? Why don't you ask someone who owns land if you can join them? Why would you even believe that you could do this all with a small group if you have played other games similar to this one and understand how they work? If this is a game about claiming territory and you see everyones got the territory then there are only 2 options..... Join someone with land, or fight for land control. Thats not going to change because you are unwilling to do either and it would be narcissistic to think otherwise.

all nice and dandy if you have people that can actually help out on this.
Kind of hard to do when it's just 2 of you playing at the same time.

Don't make excuses for this system. It's bad and requires change

1 hour ago, Olivar said:

all nice and dandy if you have people that can actually help out on this.
Kind of hard to do when it's just 2 of you playing at the same time.

Don't make excuses for this system. It's bad and requires change

Its not an excuse. This is the way it is. Adapt or Complain on the forums. If you just insult everyone who gives you advice then no one will give you advice. No one will be there because people, in general, don't like being insulted and told there opinion is invalid simply because you disagree with it.

Have you tried solo?

How did it go?

Have you tried joining a company?

How did it go?

What made you think coming on the forums and insulting other players would accomplish your goal?

1 hour ago, wakko151 said:

Its not an excuse. This is the way it is. Adapt or Complain on the forums. If you just insult everyone who gives you advice then no one will give you advice. No one will be there because people, in general, don't like being insulted and told there opinion is invalid simply because you disagree with it.

Have you tried solo?

How did it go?

Have you tried joining a company?

How did it go?

What made you think coming on the forums and insulting other players would accomplish your goal?

• Tried solo, don't have the time for it
  • I have a company with people, still no land
  • Chiming in with the massive amount of posts,  making it clear the system is not desired.

Not sure where you get the insulting from though

• Like 1

5 hours ago, wakko151 said:

Yeah I just wasnt made aware of the fact that youd have to join a large company to survive when I was sold this game.  I feel like it is very poor design to force people to play a specific way.  If that is how they envision their game and dont offer options then that needs to be made clear so someone can decide if that is for them before they invest money and time only to be forced to play how the game is "intended".  The problem isnt that you can't ask someone for some land or that you can't fight for it, its that design wise it isn't easy if your a company less that 10-20.  Some people dont want to play that way in large groups.  I would like to know how you would fight for land when you show up from the starter zone on a raft with what you could gather and only carry on a raft.  Only to get there and fight guns and fire arrows and you only have pikes or regular arrows because you dont have skill points anymore for guns(where they already have them) or couldn't find sugar in your starter zone for fire arrows.  Then on top of that they have a house to respawn in with a protected bed and a place to hide.  I don't understand how you expect people on a raft with limited supplies to fight for a claim against established tribes, and why the game should only be large companys.

38 minutes ago, Olivar said:
  • Tried solo, don't have the time for it
  • I have a company with people, still no land
  • Chiming in with the massive amount of posts,  making it clear the system is not desired.

Not sure where you get the insulting from though

its not you personally. There are a couple of specific people intentionally trolling people.

That all sounds great on paper and in theory would be a neat system. Add humans into the mix though and it all goes out the window with the wash water. The modders didn't take the time to put systems in place to protect their playerbase from themselves.