ATLAS

Patch V519.5

Ahoy Pathfinders!

Last week was quite a ride and we would like to thank you all for continuing to sail along with us! It has been about 6 months now since we have renewed the ATLAS journey, and now the last scheduled patch of the year is upon us! 

We have made several fixes to the Ramming Galley, Armored Docks, and more. This includes a fix for Explosive Barrels so they no longer deal damage in Freeports and removing some bad maps from Treasure Map spawning. Christmas Trees and Ship level caps have also been fixed. We have also included a few changes, like the much requested increase in reverse sailing speed, which has now been increased by 200%. The Glider Suit may now only be activated under 100m height as well. As a little bonus, Bears can also now wear hats! For the full list of bug fixes and changes, please see the changelog.

Most importantly, we have also made some server reliability improvements that should also help to reduce incidents of losses. To fully address the issue will be a long-term process, as it is a multifaceted issue and touches many aspects of the code. We are touching on different symptoms of it throughout development as we continue to make our investigations and improve the code. Please continue to report these issues to us as they greatly aid in our efforts to optimize and improve the ATLAS experience. Thanks for your patience, understanding, and support!

:anchor: NEW :anchor:

Tonight’s patch has quite a few new things in store! First up - we have the Lumberyard, a farmhouse variation that gathers only thatch and wood. All of the systems we have been implementing will continue to see development and improvements as we refine them based on feedback and observation. This is the first step towards the next iteration of the farmhouse system as we introduce specialized variants. Regular farmhouses will still continue to collect Wood and Thatch for now. However, Lumberyards will gather them at a much faster rate.

Aye, and were ye looking for a way to store all yer drinks for the holidays? The new Keg is the perfect way to store and transport your alcohol. Afterall, drinks taste best directly from a Keg, don’t they? The Keg can be crafted at the Smithy after learning the Secrets of Cooking skill in the Cooking & Farming tree. For only 30 fiber, 5 metal, 50 thatch, and 60 wood - you can build a Keg and be able to store any alcohol items in stacks of 50. Drinks for everyone!

Having trouble taming some creatures? Might we recommend the new Tranq Arrow? The Tranq Arrow is a new ammo type for the Bow that deals high amounts of Torpor and little physical damage. It can be used to put creatures to sleep, allowing pirates to more easily contain them for taming. Tranq Arrows can be crafted in the Mortar and Pestle after learning the Taming Tier 2 skill in the Beastmastery Tree.

:anchor: Ramming Galley :anchor:

Last week the first of the new ships that can be bought for gold, the Ramming Galley, hit the shores of Atlas. We were excited to see our baby in action and have made a number of changes to help it create more of a splash. We increased its base speed by 40% and have also increased its turn speed while sails are closed. As a ship meant to directly attack and charge into others, it needed more oomph so we increased the damage of all cannons on the Ramming Galley from 100% to 125%. Ramming Galleys will also now deal damage to NPC ships.

To compensate its strength a bit, the Ramming Galley now costs an additional 75 Rhino Horns, a new resource type obtained from defeating Rhinos, to purchase.

In addition to these changes, we also made a number of bug fixes to the Ramming Galley, which can be viewed in the full Changelog that follows.

As with all the features and mechanics we have so far introduced, we will continue to balance and refine the Ramming Galley.

:anchor: What's Next :anchor:

Previously we discussed a rework on the Claim System. Originally, we intended to introduce this by the end of this year. As things move in development and new challenges present themselves, timelines and ideas can often change. We are still working on the new Claim System’s implementation and testing it. It will likely not be introduced until early next year. Many were concerned that a rework of the Claim System would bring about a wipe. Although wipes are inevitable in EA, we also do our best to wipe only when it is absolutely necessary. At this time there is no estimated or set date for a wipe and we will keep the community updated if that changes.

As the last patch of the year, the ATLAS team will be setting sail for a small holiday break. The next scheduled patch will be the week of January 11. However, we will continue to perform daily server restarts and we will have our spyglass handy to watch out for any urgent issues that may require our attention. Otherwise, pass us your Kegs and some glasses please! Happy Holidays! 🙂

:anchor: Released Patch Notes :anchor:

V519.5

New Structure: Lumberyard
The Lumberyard is a farm that only gathers thatch and wood. It can be crafted at the Smithy after learning the Advanced Automation skill in the Construction & Mercantilism Tree.

• Shares placement restrictions with other Farmhouses
  • Gathers about 1/3 more wood and thatch than a regular Farmhouse
  • Crafting Resources: 800 Wood, 600 Thatch, 320 Fiber, 280 Metal, 100 Hide

New Structure: Keg
The Keg is a new storage container used to store alcohol. It can be crafted at the Smithy after learning the Secrets of Cooking skill in the Cooking & Farming Tree.

• All alcohol items can be stored in stacks of 50
  • Crafting Resources: 30 Fiber, 5 Metal, 50 Thatch, 60 Wood

New Bow Ammo Type: Tranq Arrow

• Tranq Arrows are significantly more effective against tameable creatures
  • Players and NPCs are immune to Tranq Arrows
  • Crafting Resources: 1 Stone Arrow, 20 Berries

New Keratinoid Resource: Rhino Horn

• Rhino Horns can now be obtained by defeating Rhinos

Armored Docks

• Updated UI text on Armored Docks to clarify that only 1 Gold is consumed when the timer expires
  • Bug Fix: Armored Docks no longer stop working for a period of time after server restarts
  • Bug Fix: Armored Docks no longer consume all Gold in their inventory after server restarts

Ramming Galley

• Added 75 Rhino Horns to cost
  • Base speed increased by 40%
  • Increased turn speed while sails are closed
  • Increased damage of all cannons on ship from 100% to 125%
  • Ramming NPC ships with the Ramming Galley now deals damage
  • Players can now swim through some large holes in the Ramming Galley after it sinks
  • Bug Fix: Health is no longer displayed for undamageable parts of the ship including weapons
  • Bug Fix: Demolish option no longer appears for components that have already been demolished after the ship sinks
  • Bug Fix: Ramming Galley can no longer be crafted in the Large Shipyard
  • Bug Fix: Forward-facing Large Cannons are now correctly assigned to the Front Station Group
  • Bug Fix: Oars will now always automatically retract after idling for 10 seconds
  • Bug Fix: Sail rigging now previews correctly when placing new sails

Ships

• Max reverse speed for all ships increased by 200%
  • Bug Fix: Level cap for max quality ships restored to 60
    • NOTE: The max level of ships built during the previous patch won't change

Winter Event

• Christmas Trees now produce gifts every 12 hours
  • Bug Fix: Santa Hat skin will no longer disappear from player inventory
  • Bug Fix: Santa Hat is now properly positioned on Monkeys, Parrots, and Penguins
  • Bug Fix: Resolved issue where Stockings and Christmas Trees would stop producing coal/gifts after server restarts

Trade

• Fixed some cases where Markets would break
  • Limited the number of Trade Offers Markets can have to 20.

Misc

• Made some server reliability improvements
  • Bears can now equip hats
  • Glider Suit may now only be activated under 110 meters height (about the height of the lighthouse)
  • Reduced Grill's damage resistance
  • Sea Fort walls now swap to a damaged mesh when destroyed rather than disappearing
  • Bug Fix: Explosive Barrels can no longer deal damage in Freeports
  • Bug Fix: Removed some bad maps from Treasure Map spawning

BearHats2.jpg

:anchor: Final Note :anchor:

Again, we would like to emphasize that ATLAS is still in Early Access, meaning many things can and will likely continue to drastically change - even in the middle of development. Anything discussed is only up to date as of the moment it is posted. Features and changes that ultimately make it to the next patch, as well as timing, may be different from what was previously discussed. 

As always, we appreciate the suggestions and feedback from the community. Please keep them coming! Thank you for all of your support! 🙂 

:wheel:

Happy Sailing,

- ATLAS Crew

:skull: For the latest dispatch on #playATLAS keep yer one good eye trained on this here information :skull:

Natter n' chatter on Discord: https://discord.gg/playatlas
Hear ye, hear ye on Twitterhttps://twitter.com/sailtheatlas
Watch us scallywags on Twitch: http://twitch.tv/sailtheatlas
Plus ye can band with us Pirates on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/playatlasgame

View full article

• Haha 2

so THIS is the year end patch huh.... big fuckin lame. i mean, some of this was needed... but you failed to address the markets and trade ships which is the most important thing you could have done. 

Edited by Enki Anunnaki
  • Thanks 1

ATLAS is moving in the right direction, community feedback seem to reach the developers and they do listen. Turning speed of ships has been something we ask for a long time now, good to see that nami or the developers checked our old posts and feedback, same as sailing speed increasing which we hope to get a little more boost or atleast more boost from sail blueprints in the future.👍

The Ramming Ship is a funny ship and with the improvements it finally gets more of its own character and a good reason to use it, if it is faster than other normal ships. The repairing of the ramming ship felt complicated and we hope to get a improvement there in the future, maybe repairing it on the common way like every other ship would be nice or atleast a easier way to repair the full ship and have some support by the npcs, if its anchored.

Bears are getting hats, this is awesome and a nice feature, thanks for that apreciate the personal touch we can give our beloved bears!

We are really excited about the trade system and its future, its a awesome idear and we are happy we may inspired the developers with our world economy system?! 😉 We already can see in which direction the developers want to go with the lumbermill, yap its the right way keep going!

Merry Christmas to all of you and you did a great job in this short time and really brought back fun and positivity to ATLAS!

Edited by Sturmberg World Bank
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 4

I'm glad you are holding back on Wiping seeing as the last season wipe was based upon the Marketplace which is totally messed up.  I'm hopeful that your working on the game. the past patch ruined my experience thou I lost my character and now i'm 100 levels behind everyone. I'm not about to do the PVE all over again if there is another wipe in a month.  You should just make everyone lvl 100  since you won't replace deleted characters. 

• Like 1

Having trouble taming some creatures? Might we recommend the new Tranq Arrow? The Tranq Arrow is a new ammo type for the Bow that deals high amounts of Torpor and little physical damage. It can be used to put creatures to sleep, allowing pirates to more easily contain them for taming. Tranq Arrows can be crafted in the Mortar and Pestle after learning the Taming Tier 2 skill in the Beastmastery Tree.

But can creatures be FED while unconscious?

• Like 1

I don't understand the glider suit nerf...?  Sometimes, that's the only way to do maps.  Why change this? What is the reason for this? I just do not understand why you would change something like this.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

don't quite see the point of the tranq arrows for most things, yet.  Sure, I was able to knock out a bull and move him.  But then he slept for at least 5 minutes before I could even start to feed him.  I can just bola him and toss a "pen" around him while bolaed.  Bear sleeps even longer and can't be picked up.  AND he started running away after 5 arrows, which I then had to chase him down, instead of having him chase me, like normal taming, so he ended up in an even worse spot for taming (if I had wanted to tame him and wasn't just testing).

Maybe for birds, but until they fix the hit boxes of projectiles with birds, I'll just punch a bird and have him follow me into a cage, or drag his bolaed body with a hook.

• Like 3

must say love addition of tranq arrows will give another way to knock out enemies without nearly killing them would like to see the price of small armored docks go way down like 500-1000 down (unless it has already been lowered) and also would enjoy seeing the lumberyard be one of many variations (stone cutter, mineshaft etc)

but ill say at the end of the day although i havent been playing recently im just happy to see this game getting updates again just hope ark II doesnt do what genisis did to atlas....... again

As expected tranq arrows are worthless. You can torp them and knock them out sure but you can’t feed. You can also knock them out, punch down their health, then bola and you still can’t feed. I will stick to the face tank and bola method. Soooooo when you come up with these ideas do you actually try them? Another pointless update. Oh but hey we can put hats on bears and Christmas trees still don’t work.  

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

im sorry i know you all are trying but the glider thing is kinda stupid and as for everything eles i think kinda dope but the lumberhouse thing is dope but it is already kinda hard to fit more than 2 or so farmhouses in the range of the warehouse bear hats aree cool tho but to be completly honest you are ruining the game even more than you have already no ships until you farm so much gold cant glide around ur island to aid in tactical defense information asumeing you dont get wiped by the larger tribes with 70+ memb ers and several alt companys that aid them in atacks and or defense you say you want people on the water and that you want to be more friendly to solo or small groups but every update implemented thus far has seemed to be the oposite other than the farms and markets thos were good adds but we need more boats that are good ish in a fight (assumeing you know how to sail them) there realy is not a way to learn how to fight on a boat without loseing thousands of gold because you sunk your companys only schooner trying to defend your dase location from people who have been playing the game for awhile i for one am starting to realy dislike the game due to the fact of the way you guys seem to contradict yourselves with every update 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

can the glider be returned back to its original state on my server by the config?
and when will the invisibility of new structures be fixed in the singleplayer?

Edited by Loomorh
  • Like 2

OK guys, glad to hear that some of the server issues are being looked at. However due to starting to play ark it the last 2 weeks it has dawned on me that the dev teams are looking at this game as ark with boats. No, no, no don't be silly. Yes, some of the mechanics will work the same but we need different features. Yes the tranq taming on ark works beautifully (when you can get enough tranq into a creature for it to pass out) but with the exception of the lumber yard which of the new land based addons would really benefit a pirate? I'm certain you don't hear about the famous pirate Blackbeard and his terrifying crew of farmers! No, they were all scurvy dogs that wanted to loot, pillage and chase hidden treasure. 

Bottom line

If it ain't broken don't fix it, however the bits that are broken put your best efforts into sorting them out and make a happy, bloodthirsty pirating community!

Peace

Edited by MunchATG
Spelling mistake
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Shi Va said:

Not the glider 😞 My favourite part of the game will be gone 😞

I completely agree nerfing the glider yet again is 1 of the worst ideas you guys have ever conceived same as the amounts of gold for building ships this is why you loose your player base because of these changes and a few other stupid decisions I for 1 nor my community will be playing atlas until some of these decisions are actually thought about try play your game instead of thinking of stupid stuff that makes the people that actually play ur game quit you might get somewhere. Nerf the glider all you want on ur pvp servers but leave pve and single player the hell alone

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The new patch brings a lot of things that the world doesn't need and again server lags without end.

Atlas is not playable again since the patch! Do you test your work before importing it ???

Your holiday is canceled until the servers are running lag free again.

Who Needs the Tranq Arrow? The taming gets as boring as in ARK!

Anyone who has to work like that doesn't need an animal!!!

• Like 2

I guess i was wrong, this IS Ark, not Atlas.

Any chance you'll explain exactly what necessitated a change to gliding heights?

Hats for bears. Wow. Way to focus on the important stuff..

Sidenote, why did you need to MAKE A WHOLENEW STRUCTURE FOR THATCH AND WOOD? JUST MAKE THE GODDAM COLLECTION RATES ADJUSTABLE ON THE FARMHOUSE!

For example then i could turn berry collection OFF, and put that collection percentage into wood and thatch?... How  goddam lost are you?

Edited by Ranger1k
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

You people all need to chill out. If any of you think you could make a better game then step up to bat. Everyone knew when they bought the game it was a preview....

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Justhetippp said:

You people all need to chill out. If any of you think you could make a better game then step up to bat. Everyone knew when they bought the game it was a preview....

If you ordered a meal at a restaurant and it wasn't cooked properly, are you saying unless you could cook just as well as the chef you have no right to complain?  As paying customers we have a right, even an obligation to point out when the service or product doesn't meet our expectations. Your post is patently absurd.

Yes, it is in early access, but if no one points out when things aren't going in the right direction guess what the full release will end up like, if we ever actually get there? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

54 minutes ago, Ranger1k said:

Sidenote, why did you need to MAKE A WHOLENEW STRUCTURE FOR THATCH AND WOOD? JUST MAKE THE GODDAM COLLECTION RATES ADJUSTABLE ON THE FARMHOUSE!

For example then i could turn berry collection OFF, and put that collection percentage into wood and thatch?... How  goddam lost are you?

I actually like that idea.... Tailoring what your farmhouse collects to more suit what you need from it.

Tranq Arrows: I've already read that they really don't do anything to help tame creatures. I haven't tested them myself just yet. But if it's true that you can't feed the tame you just knocked out, then why did you add the tranq arrows?

Lumber Yard: Probably the cause of having PING spikes of 200+ every 10sec on I5 with only 3 players online. Shouldn't need to share the same restrictions as a farmhouse (you can't put the lumberyard anywhere near your farmhouse with shared restrictions).

Opinion on Farmhouses: Some players have suggested limiting the number of farmhouses one can have. I personally think allowing only one or two farmhouses per player is fine. I personally have two, and don't plan on placing any more. On one of the islands I have a small outpost on, the same person has managed to get 4 FH's going....that's a lot of places now where other players can't even have one of their own. Is that many really necessary? I think not. Specially on PvE. 

• Like 2

The glider is one of the FUN things to do. I’m sure it has some tactical advantage in PVP but in PVE it’s just fun and useful. You built a world with sky high pillars and cliffs and for 2 YEARS we have used the glider to explore and travel. Please please please change it back. How about no weapons while gliding? How about limiting gliding time? How about a quicker wear out? The height restriction is unnecessary and debilitating.

• Like 4

Is anyone able to connect this morning. I can only see one official server and am unable to connect to any of the unofficial ones.