RobotPorcupine

vitamins I Die of Vitamin Deficiency EVERY TIME...

I'm fairly new to the game, so I could just be an idiot, but my issue is this:

I have all 3 skills that slow vitamin depletion rate, I have pumped most of my 30 levels into fortitude, but my number one cause of death is vitamin depletion.  It seems to be an issue of balance, my vitamins drop faster than my food, by FAR.  So, eventually, I'm completely full but my vitamins are at the bottom and I can't eat anymore (or that will kill me) but my lack of vitamins is also killing me.  What on earth am I supposed to do about that?  I keep all four vitamins as balanced as possible and all that; this isn't an issue of one missing vitamin.  Mind you this doesn't happen every day, I bought the game about 2 weeks ago and it's probably killed me 5-6 times since then.  Am I an idiot or is something broken?

Vitamins drop over time, food and water drops to refill your stamina bar. If you are not using stamina and you have 60 points in fortitude your food bar will barely move. I am guessing you are out sailing or something?

If you need your food bar to drop fast just go into combat mode and dodge until your stamina is gone

Use prime meat and fish as well as berries (all the same) and planted vegetables. They all give good vitamin boost for little hunger replacement.  Otherwise some of the cooked meals can level out the vitamins but usually cause lots of hunger replaceement.

Firstly the vitamins are meant to go down regardless of food until your fort without the bonus is above 60 you have vitamin depletion rate picked through all three (30% bonus) you have to be used to dying if your running around or have food. Once you get past that point and the vit depletion is at 30% you can last up to 4 or 5 hours of real time before you’ll need to eat or just die. 

Me personally I don’t worry about the grill skill. I’m currently running around trying to tame, exploring, getting stuck, or running across lions and tigers and wolves so honestly if you not near a bed don’t worry about. 

But no matter what you do even max fort max everything been through the rejuvenation 3 times and got all the discoveries you’ll still die from it. Just part of the game. 

It's not hard to collect all the different vitamin types.  Even as a level 1.  Make spears, kill tier 1 mammals, go diving kill fish, and gather veg and berries.

With that said I do put skill points into all three vitamin depletion reduction points.  The main reason is when you are out at sea (the 100% debuff with the bubbles) you deplete vitamins even faster than when on land.  The devs talk about how they want you to spend more time at sea and getting rid of this debuff would be a good step.  Also remove the mechanic where the longer the crew is out at sea the more frequently they need gold.

I rarely ever die to just vitamin deficiency alone.  Actually extreme heat and cold are more of a problem for me at this point.  Both can be easily solved by clothing or lack of and food.  Spicy rolls when it's too hot and grog when it's too cold.

Edited by McDangles

Ok here is the deal.

What you need to do is to get captaining skills and get this first skill there that gives you special food storage cupboard. Then you catch a fish (I usually just dive in and hit it with common spear) and cook around 100 (it's 2-3 fishes). You anyway kill some birds and wild fauna for hide - cook meat as well. And there is no problem to find vegies and berries around (i mean if you not live in polar). So you keep all 4 types of food in this cupboard (it has spoil time increased) and do all your current busines.

When your vits gonna low, you need to do the following.

Get to "cold" state (put all your clothes off, get wet at the nigh. It's easier in northern biomes). Then go in to combat mode, and start to tap left-left, then right-right. Your character will do its dodge moves and loose stamina very fast. If your pathfinder is "cold" you'll loose your stomach level when your stamina regains. So you need to low your stamina 6-7 times and regain it to get hungry.

Then you go to your cupboard with food and eat:

5 pieces of regular meat.

5 pieces of regular fish.

25 wild berries.

25 wild vegis.

(or if stomach totally empty - it's 6-6-30-30)

You done. You awesome. And you can forget about all food and vits for a while. When you'll get use to it, all food and vit's system will be just a boring routine.

@RobotPorcupine

If your performing alot of physical activity or cold constantly you'll deplete food faster.

If your sailing alot you'll deplete vitamins faster. I think the idea is to create the old scurvy-type effects sailors frequently dealt with.

I put my stat points into HP and Encumbrance. I do not use Fortitude or Vitamin depletion skills. I'd rather have a large Hit Point pool and spend the skill points on cooking/ gardening. Health pool helps ya die less and and cooking is more efficient overall + yields a tradeable product. Using the above mentioned methods suffice short term, but it takes 40-70 clicks to eat plus water or milk.

The ideal solution. Eating = 2 clicks plus water as needed

If you live in a biome that allows potatoes, grow wheat and potatoes and tame 6-12 chickens. Find sugar, salt and herbs. Cook Pork Pies and Monarch Cakes since they both use wheat and potatoes. Doing this will also enable you to craft alcohol (reduces incoming dmg & increases out going dmg) and other foods which provides buffs.

Last thing if you dont live in the desert you do not need to irrigate the garden. Rainfall should provide enough water. If fertilizer takes too long to craft tame 3 pigs. Also I recommend using large crop plots.

If ya join a Company usually a few of the members will tend to these things, or perhaps you can assist them. I do it solo because I'm used to doing it this way and i feel its worth the effort.

Good Luck

Edited by Ranger1k

I timed how often I  had to eat the other day, although I do like to keep all my vits at least halfway, it was every 10 minutes real time. Does anyone know how fast a game day is in real time? I've never timed it but I know it is a lot faster, which could be why we have to eat so much. Personally if players in a game find it easier let their character die than to eat , then it's time the mechanic was changed imo.