Sign in to follow this  
Garfi

Markets and Trading

I understand things are just getting worked out with markets, but it is starting to irritate me a little.

I built a market within 30 m of my Warehouse which had a couple of productive windmills spinning away. All good! I then decided to try and get some trades working.

I set up a load of trades based on the content of my warehouse and how much I was prepared to pay for various resources.

All good so far. I clicked the find trades button and realised that all the traders were in my zone. Having travelled in the zone a little, I realised my trades where a little optimistic. There is no way I was going to get Gems for Copper when no gems were available in my zone. So, ok re-think right lets look at the forums, always good for a bit of advice.

As a result scrapped everything and set up a load of trades one for one same products. Seems strange to me but I soon had more Parrot eggs than any one ever needed and enough Med cannon balls to sink a fleet of ships of the damned (if I could afford a boat to put them in), But lo praise the Devs! money, the gold stuff seemed to be accumulating at the rate of about 1000 gold per day.

Being a sly and greedy sort (Typical bloody pirate) I immediately thought if I get this hoard of gold from a little Farm, Warehouse and Market setup I would get mutcho more by expanding my empire. 

So off I go, Into the newly built Schooner (It is actually the second I built this season, but it turns out schooners are proper shit combat vessels, they last no time at all against red Galleons of the Damned; especially when ambushed on a zone line). 

After visiting about 50 or so islands I finally find a location to set up a second Warehouse, Farm and Market setup. I was so happy I immediately setup my trades and offered my services out to the tiny amount of customers in the new zone and soon had some trades going. All good. I then notice a uninhabited island in the island chain. A little scouting revealed it had no food but ample Wood, Stone, Metal and Flint (always just thought of that as a type of stone but what do I know).

So using the mass of rescores from base one and two I suddenly had a third market up and running. After setup, all was good and as well as trading with Base 2, at I noticed, half income I managed to get this market to trade with one other market (The island owners).

All was good.

I noticed the Main base income had slipped a little and I was no longer able to see my active trades on that market. 

But then the devs decided to have a restart this morning.

As I am luck enough to work from home, I was able to log back on almost immediately after the restart. And guess what, no working trades anywhere. All my trades have disappeared and I cant seem to get them to work again, even trading with myself wouldn't work. So I trolled through the available trades on all three markets and cancelled everything. I then tried to set up the routes again and I seem to be limited to just three trade routes across the three Markets. WTF I had five running on my single market surely with three markets I should be able to set up fifteen, five on each market.

Instead I assume am penalised again for being a solo player. It is almost impossible as a solo player to get room for a shipyard, let alone set up farms, warehouses and markets. Why the **** do we also have to be limited in the trading. If people put the effort into the fu****g game why treat them as if they were a side thought all the time. Some people do not want to be in guilds I have done that shit in numerous WOW type abortions and I do not need that shit in my life any more.

Please it is bad enough that it is now impossible for a solo player to do the story line quests and almost impossible to get the high end equipment and blueprints. Don't make markets completely shit as well.           

• Like 1

If you scroll down to my post it may assist w market issues

or

It may annoy ya since ive rebuilt the market several times.

Also, as a person who plays solo often i recommend ya look into whaling, treasure diving and get 2-5 bears for mapping, also consider occasionally teaming up w others to do more difficult content.

Hopefully this is helpful

PS your bit about the parrot eggs, cannonballs & being a pirate is hysterical. 😄

• Like 1

Hi Ranger, My main cash stream has been treasure diving for ages.

I haven't tried Whaling as the cost in skill points for Ballista and catapults would prevent to many other skills I need as a solo player. I may have to rethink that soon, as I am getting seriously bored with most areas of the game I use to enjoy. 

The Minecraft building thing is to easy now. Any dickhead can build a huge base to keep their chickens in. Taming the big three is now such a pain I really cant be arsed with it any more.  Sailing a ship above the sloop is to risky, crossing zones is so risky I wouldn't risk it in my dreams. One little glitch (or Galleon of the Damned on the border) and between 10 and 100  more Treasure dives (Probably 2 weeks of work) to build a useless schooner.

And I really do not want to endure teaming up with people, I know this makes me sound like a grumpy old man (I am one) but I have been online gaming since the days of Everquest and ran Guilds in the past on games such as Eve, WoW, WoT, Planetside, Everquest etc. and I don't want to get drawn in to that or get involved in any of that shit ever again. Plus the wife would definitely divorce me this time 🙂 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Well, i actually did a whaling sloop after this wipe.

Few pointers.

1 EVERY ship point has to go into weight, dont try adding ballistas before level 15

2 i ran 3 ballistas, so 3 balista npcs, 1 sail npc and me driving, perfect since standard sloop crews 5

3 Seek safe harbor when the wind isn't cooperating under 7 knots is the real beginning of the danger zone

4 Even 2 ballistas may suffice

5 Diving platform on boat is fine

6 use a carbine to aggro the blue whales

7 I exclusively use the handling sail, so 1 medium handling sail

8 just a bed, resource chest, ammo box, small chest, diving platform, 2 walls, 3 ceilings ( i did 2 as catwalks) and add side rope ladders then 2 to3 ballistas. Only carry like ~250. Bolts

9 the boat WILL probably get sunk eventually so have a second sloop built or in a box ready to go lol

Good luck

• Thanks 1

PS @Garfi catch a good run of whales and/ market starts producing that schooner might not feel so expensive.

Best wishes

• Like 1

hi Ranger is it possible to agro the whale with an Arrow as the carbine is way to many skill points ATM and How do you know which type of whale you are attacking and does it matter?

Edited by Garfi

1.Well the Sperm Whales automatically aggro when you get too close. Youll see a healthbar, ominous music will begin playing and youll see them come swimming straight for you.

2. The Blue Whales just swim in circles and mind their own business until you damage them. I was taught to use a carbine. Ive seen a flintlock used also. Never tried a bow but maybe. My advice would be to respec and craft 5 or 10 carbines w ~500 ammo. Then spec back.

What level are ya?

Playing PC?... Im on xbox.  If you send me a message on here maybe i can take you on a whaling trip.

Just be aware its alot like fishing, you may go 3 hours without finding any then land only 1. Next time you might get 4 in 90 minutes.

Might be some videos on youtube..

Hi I am currently Level 49, I don't often respec just because I always forget something important and end up wishing I hadn't 🙂 

After a long sail in adverse conditions, I can confirm Whale farming is truly a fun and profitable exercise.

I equipped my 31st level Sloop HMS Rose with four catapults, crew and a ammo box and off we went. 15 zones and 3K of gold from dives, later and I found my first Whale, swimming along the surface minding its own business. I shot the beast with my brand new Carbine Rifle; these seem to be glitched ATM, about half the time when I load it nothing changes. Then I need to unequip, re-equip and fire the thing before it works again. But anyway I digress, Back to the whales. Once I had shot the beast in its massive tail fluke it slowly focused its gargantuan body on ridding its self of the small irritation, it perceived me to be.

How wrong the stupid beast turned out to be. I turned my tiny ship to show it my Stern (nearly said arse, but remembered I am on a nautical game) and instructed the unfortunate fools manning the Ballista to open fire. Five or six barrages later and my screen is filled with huge achievement banner. 🙂

I turned around, docked with the beast causing a small amount of damage to the fragile hull of my beautiful sloop and extracted my just reward, 850 beautiful shiny Gold pieces (obviously from the waistcoat pockets the Whale must have been wearing?), Some Blubber (250) and tonnes of prime meat, normal meat and leather. All in all a decent haul for the five minutes the combat lasted. 

Not, I would say a huge profit on the 7 hrs of sailing it took to find and kill the beast; but I feel my time was adequately rewarded by the fact my stupid boss was also paying me in real life to conduct this activity (although he probably thinks I am coding or something equally boring). 

Anyway that is the tale of my first whaling expedition. Well worth a go if you have a high level sloop laying around and a huge chunk of life with nothing else planned, to search the zones for signs of Whale tails.     

• Like 1