ATLAS

Sailing Forward - Ask a Pirate Day: Discussion and Q&A with the Devs

On 11/25/2020 at 3:01 PM, ATLAS said:
  1. Increase player recuperation. Survival games can be tough and we want to make sure that players can be devastating to one another, but that the losing side player doesn't have to feel like they are starting over each time. We also want to make small companies and lone wolves more viable. 

We still have a ways to go before we reach these goals. We know that we are not there yet and that the current state of ATLAS does not reflect what we envision .Most of what we have implemented so far is still in its beginning stages, and are only just setting the foundation for how the gameplay is going to evolve.

Developing survival games appears to be even tougher and we want to make sure you have a barrel in your face for no reason so yeah stop talking about things like you are smart.

What do you actually envision? Something not stupid? That would be a good foundation that you could evolve from.

On 11/25/2020 at 3:01 PM, ATLAS said:

Can you tell us more about the ideas behind how breeding is envisioned by the Dev team for beginner breeders through the most advanced breeders? Right now it takes too much time to do, unless an entire weekend day is devoted to it. Perhaps more difficulties while raising babies through their infant stages, but have it be for a much shorter duration so that it is more practical and enjoyable for a wider audience.

One of our designers has taken the breeding and taming of creatures under her wing.  In the background she is working on a completely revamped system that should be more of what you want to see.  Can't tell you when it will ship, but I can tell you that we are working on it.

Wow, that random designer and their wing sound so comforting.

However, what would you guys know what we want to see? What do you mean background? Hahahahhahahahaha

To the Devs

Atlas it's not lacking a strong theme. The Pirate Theme was strong enough to make millions from movies and even to create a successful tv show. In addition to that pirates ever since Errol Flynn or Burt Lancaster been a success on the screen. So was Atlas when it got released as Early Access as far as I know and experienced it.

And Atlas is not a Pirate Game. It flies the skull and cross bones here and there but it's far from piracy. Pirates seek a hide-out and claim islands, if at all, in silence. They don't place claim flags where ever they choose to dwell as those flags instantaneously would give away who and what you're dealing with.

Storm Punk: Harnessing lightning - now that sounds interesting. You might have watched Stardust one too many times. And what else is there to get on the water? Trapping wind in paper bags to run a wind mill at your base or maybe empty them into your sails when there's no wind at all ? I think you're losing it here and Dungeons and Dragons' fantasy is way too present in tons of games already. You had the chance to make something different and now you blow it (with the wind from the bags to put them to some use).

My ideas to the three main goals: 

1. Get players out on the ocean [...] OK, and that's why you now added gold to building a ship? Leave alone that you four month ago announced that you CAN buy ships now with gold in addition to still being able to craft them with your own blood, sweat and tears. Too bad this didn't work out.

2. Make ship-to-ship combat fun [...] Now how can it be more fun and rewarding than it actually is, more loot/booty? But how? You must be totally out of your mind in case you think that players will load up their ships before they head into a battle, putting their 'wealth' at stake in a battle they don't know the outcome of? Or will there be rewards generated from thin air that screw up your trade system inflating inflation with high rewards of gold ?    

3. Increase player recuperation  [...]This sounds very nice but again the stupid gold costs for ships make it a pain again. Players might still have whatever your new design will leave them on land but the gold still needs be accumulated to purchase a new ship.

Trade System 

In conjunction with what you plan on the ship's sector the trade system makes less sense more and more. As of right now ships are being build from parts the players craft. Better ships require better blueprints which need up to six different types of one resource, you know how your system works (I hope). Now that's where trade comes in handy: You can offer your wetwood in exchange for ironwood or gold to buy ironwood in case anyone feels like offering it. But what is going to happen to trades like these when you buy ready-made ships? And according to your Q&A you want to move the game more to the sea. Does that mean that armor and weapons become less important and therefore resources to craft better ones maybe are not needed anymore? What about tames? They will disappear as well as you don't need to farm resources any longer? 

Claim System 

Even the old system was completely useless. No idea who thought that pirates who rather live in hiding would claim an island which gives away their position to everyone who just passes by. And if you insist on this stupid idea then why not use a blimp to hover over the island? It might even harness a lightning as a side effect.

Ship Systems 

That's the most bogus thing so far. Leave alone that it entails rendering trades pointless it also is one of the most unbalanced ideas you ever came up with. I'm screwed when I hit the sea with my ramming vessel and someone engages me with cannons. How balanced is that ?  Specialized ships my a... !

And then there is the costs for the ships! Me as a single player might have enough time at hand to accumulate the needed gold for a primitive Schooner (or whatever ship) but the company I just sailed into has four members and hence more chances and time to get the gold for a legendary schooner. Place your bets on the outcome!

In the end this game boils down to a stupid gold grinding feast where the company having the most gold will rule

• Like 2

I'm not sure I like the idea of reskinning Atlas as Steampunk MMO.  I know that the dev's had aspirations of this and that's why thinks like Dino's and Tanks were leaked into the code.  I think another layer of tech will just push more new players out.  There is a insurmountable disparity between noobs/small companies and larger companies due to the way BP's are handled.  Just adding another tech level will extend the gap, in my opinion. 

Limit land building and simplify breeding further if you want to make this a sea adventure game. 

• Like 1

It would be nice if the allowed more markets and warehouses  on PvE servers. Also there need to be a way to stop a person from dropping foundations all over an island on PvE  half of the islands are unusable because someone posted or foundationed the islands. Take a look at brightdurn island or Salismar cay Island on Whales server

On 12/6/2020 at 11:16 AM, Sir Francis Drake said:

It would be nice if the allowed more markets and warehouses  on PvE servers. Also there need to be a way to stop a person from dropping foundations all over an island on PvE  half of the islands are unusable because someone posted or foundationed the islands. Take a look at brightdurn island or Salismar cay Island on Whales server

Something similar happened to me once. Took me an hour or 2 to blow all that shit up. Use a bear cannon if you can, else you might need to build several cannons to get to everything.

All this is after you join PvP becuase that's where the solution to this problem exists.

Otherwise don't complain about thing that have easy solutions.

• Like 1

they realy be asking thwe large groups what they think i stopped playing cause its so hard to get good combat ships up and they ruined island defense barral bomb gliderts were the best way to stop a harbour run when you do actually manage to get a schooner here comes the big componies to take that win away from you the day you get it sometimes the hour or right as you drop it out of the yard you guys do not want smaller companies on the wqater you are catering to the larger groups out there by takeing away the ability to get a ship up quickly and for people like myself who only have 3 or so hours to play you guys made it so hard to progress to ship combat and evenj to get a pve ship you guys realy need to stop asking big companies and pve players for ideas for pvp stuff i do not have the time to try and grind 18 k or so gold to get a brig up just to lose it the same day and what happens when you get reapetadly griefed by players in lawless or you actually manage to get an island its taken in the next combat phase because we cannot get boats up fast enought to combat the larger companies you guys have ruined a game thta i loved for along time on both pc and xbox all we asked for was new ships for some diversity and perhaps an easier way to get mats that are not on our home islands as the megas have a monopoly on most stuff but no we got bears that can wear bloody hats