Sign in to follow this  
Bladecolector

If this was your Game to develop. What would you do?

My question is to you is. If you was the Boss of this game. What would you do to make this a game everyone wanted to play and pay? Let's Hear it? Your the Boss at the end of the table. What do you want to make this Work?

I'd balance the game more around smaller companies, i feel to many decisions have been made to work in favor of larger corps groups, competition drives economy so more companies should make for healthier servers and sp players feel less daunted by all that is required to injoy the game. Things like the farmhouse where a good start, blocks that gather resources without killing sources add more life to the world and make the players less involved in the grind for resources needed to build up their structures. I'd prob also put focus on expanding Npc utility allowing them to harvest resources, manage crops and man store fronts. This wouldnt be to replace players fully but it would help add more life to the worlds we build as well as add more assistance to smaller companies. The ultimate goal of a game like this should be allowing the player to choose how they want to play in the game instead of being forced into some predefined roll thrusted apon them due to limitations of their company as well as the games more boring and grindy mechanics.

• Like 1

If I was throne the keys saying here it's yours. With price of the ships to build now. As a owner you want to make money  also to help support the game and make some coin yourself but want to keep it playable for all even players that can't just buy gold.

How i would do it. Let say if your new looking to buy the game. There is two options. Buy the Basic Game which is what we have to grind for gold to get a schooner Now. And I would have a beginners package where for a extra Say $10 dollars you get $5000 gold  or credit to build schooner when you place down your small shipyard. I would have it where your ship is hard to sink. Yes your Sails and cannons  can be damaged and destroyed. Where you are just a sitting duck but the sinking of the ship it's self takes a long long time.  Shifting it to where your ship as the main home for you or your friends. You can also buy skins to place on to you ship like, the steering wheel we have already that you can get with Gold. There would be the  grind for the player that doesn't want to put for the gold, but also a option to buy gold. To help the support of the game. I would also have special offers and special skins that you can buy for your self to where or to customize your ship. I would have a auction house at the ports for you to bring you goods to to also sale to get Gold or trade for Goods. I would also have missions you can come to the port and Do. Maybe the port you are at needs 10,000 pine logs. Go get it and get your 200 Gold coin for doing So. This is some of the things I would do to the game if I was Boss.

Edited by Bladecolector
Wording

For PVP I would have a  retractable harpoon cable  or grappling hook with winch. That you could shoot from your ship that you would want to board. With that after you have boarded and manage to kill everyone and destroy their beds. You raid what you want. And order for you grappling hook to disengage you have the option to sink the ship and get a raid and boarding credit. leave the Ship a float or claim the ship. You Can Sale the ship you Have capture!

Edited by Bladecolector
Wording

I would put a team on cleaning up crash/lag/and similar bugs. Before new features roll out, it has to pass this team.

For features, I would work on expanding existing functionality before adding new systems. So, work on expanding NPCs as vendors, NPC ships, camps, etc. Pirates, for example, could be spawned in low activity regions to add camps with loot. They could also spawn to attack existing structure, with larger/denser structures drawing more and higher leveled attacks. Around freeports, Imperial navy patrols would assist players against SOTD, offer rescues in storms, etc.

This leads directly into factions. Players who warn before attack (allowing opportunity to surrender some gold/items or flee), don't attack Imperials, etc. stay in good standing and can run Imperial quests to gain reputation, hire Imperials, etc.. Players who attack weaker ships, attack without warning, assault Imperials, etc. get lower rep, bounties and, eventually, declared Outlaw. Outlaws can hire Pirate NPCs, trade with them (don't care if goods are stolen/bloody), but are arrested/killed on sight by Imperial. They can also be freely attacked without Rep loss. Each faction has quest givers (and in PVP, that may include collecting rival bounties).

Barrels would get a rework.

Port harbors would offer offline docking after you are green. Prepay or risk you stuff being seized and sold at auction by the dockmaster. 

No claim areas around treasure map targets. Stricter, smaller claim areas. Companies can hold larger areas based on membership. All pay upkeep (tax/tribute) based on size and structures. Island "governors" owe taxes to Empire but automatically earn from activity on island. Pirate lords do not pay taxes, but have to manually enforce tribute. Either can be removed by various means, peaceful and not. Faction NPC ships sail and patrol around their controlled islands and between controlled ports. These would be able to be attacked, boarded, captured, etc.

More active admins to deal with griefing/exploits/etc. on official.

Right now, I feel like the current map/server layout is kind of a problem. You want more players, but fixed land means both servers needed for dead/vacant islands and guaranteed overcrowding and hoarding of key resource areas. Either lean into that and make resource locking a part of the game with some sort of cost that makes it increasingly  difficult to hold on to too much for too long, or look at shifting to more limited building or, best of all, instancing where new sectors are created as necessary, with the core world as the golden age and some surrounding that expands out as those areas fill up. Heck, you could probably procedurally generate most of it.

• Like 1

I would make a few major generic changes starting from the build we are on now. The goal would be to encourage sea travel, interaction and conflict without driving away your average player base. We need to be sure and keep the theme of a sandbox and not a theme park (so no stupid shit like factions). Since a large company will always inherently hold an advantage, the mechanics should favor solo/small group play whenever possible. 

1. Bring back the big map. (It made the world feel more vast.)

2. All islands outside of freeports are lawless. (We're pirates not landlords.)

3. Ships green anchor after 15 minutes. Green anchored ships do not deal or take dmg. Green anchored ships take x gold per day or become white anchored.

4. Add Auction house to freeports. All items and tames are able to be put up for auction. (A real economy)

5. Improve and add more docks to freeports. Charge for safe dock for extended period of time.

6. Add NPCs to Freeports to facilitate quests for exp and/or gold. (Delivery's to other freeports, Ghost ships- kill them, rescue and return NPCs, ect.) 

7.  Increase visibility range at sea.

8. Add more ships.

9. Play your game. (If its not your favorite game, ask yourself why.)

10. Maintenance - Balance combat. Fix all bugs. Balance gold sinks. Ban all cheaters.

• Like 1

1) Allow custom servergrids to be played in single player and non- dedicated mode
2) Make it so the whole blackwood map and quests can be  a map in a server grid. eg 1x1 or 1 map in a 2x2 etc
3) be able to add Servergrids to the workshop.
4) fix pirate encampments so that buildings and pirates don't go under the mesh.
5) Make the Blackwood Snake Boss soloable and add all the resource types to Blackwood.
6) undo the nerf to hand gliding. If exploding barrels are the problem, remove them

If you think pirates don't  hand glide then I'd say they aren't rock climbers either so remove all rock climbing. hand gliding and rock climbing are fun additions.
Nor do they tame and ride animals or spend hours building bases or do crafting. You'll have a pretty boring game at the end of it.

I have 900+ hrs in game. Done all of Blackwood on my unofficial server and got the sub. Only had to cheat the Snake Boss and spawn in the missing gem for the sub. No cheats otherwise.
About half my in game time was doing single player Ocean map.

Anyway I'm pretty much done with this game.

• Like 1

I just made a post caled "i have a dream". that explains in good detail what i would make possible.