Sign in to follow this  
Flightace

Does grills radiate heat on the backside ?

building 2 breeding pen side by side but do i need to have grills put back to back to get heat from them in the middle row??

Not sure but I would think they do. But why two pins? With two double stacked rows of grills and 3 floors between and 5 long, you can get 10 babies in there for 8 hours. That is enough heat even down in the single digits. Oh and line the inside with door frames to keep them for getting too close the the fire. After 8 hours move them out to a holding area.

If you need a little more heat for a really cold spikes, you can add torches on wall hooks, on the door frames.

10 hours ago, Gemini Five said:

Not sure but I would think they do.

I would hope backsides generate heat also.

AHHAhahahaha

I tried using them a few seasons ago and they were NOT sufficient heat producers in tundra, probably even worse in arctic.

I suggest building a cub pen out of railings, placing cubs in pen, and surrounding it w camp fires.

Grills are good at producing heat, wtf are you talking about?? They are the most efficient.

Newbie 😕

Whatever, I do suggest using camp fires however, as they do not blind you compared to the bullshit brightness of grills and wall torch things

10 hours ago, Ranger1k said:

I tried using them a few seasons ago and they were NOT sufficient heat producers in tundra, probably even worse in arctic.

I had 20+ cubs in the tundra in the last 6 weeks using grills. Grills are more orderly looking for a long term setup.  I did have them stacked two high on both sides of the room. Heat was never an issue. If you had trouble it was most likely a placement issue.

In the warmest part of the day I would over-heat myself wearing fur if in the room too long. I thought the cubs would over-heat with my setup but it didn't happen.

24 minutes ago, Gemini Five said:

I had 20+ cubs in the tundra in the last 6 weeks using grills. Grills are more orderly looking for a long term setup.  I did have them stacked two high on both sides of the room. Heat was never an issue. If you had trouble it was most likely a placement issue.

In the warmest part of the day I would over-heat myself wearing fur if in the room too long. I thought the cubs would over-heat with my setup but it didn't happen.

So grills stacked 2 high lining both sides of a room fitting 20 cubs?... Guessing 30-60 grills..

I am NOT an expert breeder but i did about 5 runs. I put a 14 mothers on the second floor, 7 per side facing away from eachother. Plced thatch ceilings, walked my breeding stud down the middle, deed was quickly done (4 at a time), parked him off to the side and demoed the thatch ceilings. The babies dropped from the second floor down to the handrailed pen on the first floor. I pulled the cubs into clumps for easier management hoppeed the rail or used the doorway and lit/  extinguished campfires as necessary. It took ~16 campfires w sometimes half not running.

I tried the grills in a different time and place. 3 going side by side and the temperature increase was barely noticable. I do agree grills look way nicer and I would have preferred them.

Good luck y'all

Cool story bro, what point are you trying to make though? You had 3 grills and the temperature increase was barely noticeable, compared to having 3 campfires?

1 hour ago, Ranger1k said:

So grills stacked 2 high lining both sides of a room fitting 20 cubs?... Guessing 30-60 grills..

I am NOT an expert breeder but i did about 5 runs. I put a 14 mothers on the second floor, 7 per side facing away from eachother. Plced thatch ceilings, walked my breeding stud down the middle, deed was quickly done (4 at a time), parked him off to the side and demoed the thatch ceilings. The babies dropped from the second floor down to the handrailed pen on the first floor. I pulled the cubs into clumps for easier management hoppeed the rail or used the doorway and lit/  extinguished campfires as necessary. It took ~16 campfires w sometimes half not running.

I tried the grills in a different time and place. 3 going side by side and the temperature increase was barely noticable. I do agree grills look way nicer and I would have preferred them.

Good luck y'all

No, not 20 at once, over 6 weeks. The most at any time was 7 or 8. I leave the mothers outside and walk the cubs in at birth. If not for the wipe I would go count. 2 rows, 2 high, 5 or 6 long, so 20 or 24 grills. Walk each cub right up to the door frame and turn off follow and wander. Leave a path to get to all for feeding. Last feeding is at 4H 30M. By them they hold enough food to get to 8 hours. After 8 hours walk the cubs out bc they will get too big and fill the room over the full cycle. And the cold is not an issue at that point.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Gemini Five said:

After 8 hours walk the cubs out bc they will get too big and fill the room over the full cycle. And the cold is not an issue at that point.

Lol got me picturing a room filled to the brim with bears all smooshed together...

Yea sorting through and culling 14 at once is a nightmare, i staggered the deliveries by 5 minutes in groups of about 4. Heard a funny story about a guy who bred so many at once he just placed the stud bear on elevators, breeding floor by floor LOL

Thanks for the tips. Maybe i didn't try enough grills as you did, after 7 grills i gave up and rebuilt following the method above. thanks for the tips tho

🙂

Edited by Ranger1k
Typo

@Gemini Five Oh yeah, which food did you use?... I heard meat or chili's if i remember correctly, w chili's being best?

Edited by Ranger1k

5 minutes ago, Ranger1k said:

@Gemini Five which food did you use?... I heard meat or chili's of i remember correctly, w chili's being best?

I really don't know what food is best or if it matters. I just use the berries the farmhouse harvests.

If some food changes results in any way I would like to know too.

• Thanks 1

On 11/16/2020 at 6:56 PM, Gemini Five said:

Not sure but I would think they do. But why two pins? With two double stacked rows of grills and 3 floors between and 5 long, you can get 10 babies in there for 8 hours. That is enough heat even down in the single digits. Oh and line the inside with door frames to keep them for getting too close the the fire. After 8 hours move them out to a holding area.

If you need a little more heat for a really cold spikes, you can add torches on wall hooks, on the door frames.

well we breed 25 at the time so,,

10 hours ago, Gemini Five said:

I really don't know what food is best or if it matters. I just use the berries the farmhouse harvests.

If some food changes results in any way I would like to know too.

When the cubs ar born we feed them berries ,after 10 % maturnity they get what we got in veggies,,in h6 there is a lot of potatoseeds and turnip so thats what we use

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Flightace said:

When the cubs ar born we feed them berries ,after 10 % maturnity they get what we got in veggies,,in h6 there is a lot of potatoseeds and turnip so thats what we use

Does that change the bears stats at all? What is the reason for changing food at 10%? Or it it just the easy of food harvesting?

Stats do not change, once a baby is born, that is it. Doesn't matter what food you feed them. Only way to "change" the stats is by imprinting, which has been in the game since day one and also been in ark for so many years because atlas just copied the system.

Have you tried to eat a potato? If not, before you do try to eat a potato, you could try checking what your food stat is. You will then notice that potatoes are good once you eat one.

How easy do think potatoes are to grow?

Edited by eeeceee

1 hour ago, Gemini Five said:

Does that change the bears stats at all? What is the reason for changing food at 10%? Or it it just the easy of food harvesting?

just easy food ,we got a farmhouse and a silo just a few pace away filled with berries