protozz

dev hard to believe u play the game

ok pvp is fun. But yall can't play pve and say this is good. Claim system. There is something like 154 islands. So u are saying one person own the whole island and prevent building. So how many happy players do u expect with that. 200 may be. I played day one was the best game ever even with the glitches. Now u do ok farm 5k gold for a schooner. That takes a month or better on a schooner. And no place to build a land base. Do u really think that is a good approach to this game. Now servers with 4 ppl on it are lag to the point u can't even sail in a sailing game. So please tell me how these are in any way a good idea. And we know u won't cause. A man that can't read could tell u that there is no way u are listening to your player base. When I started there were 20 to 40 ppl on ever seever now u lucky ro see 5. Yeah yeah u got a few more in pvp cause thats all yall design for now. Thank u and I will not hold my breath on a reply cause I been playing for 2years or so and wait never once got one from u in ticket or forum. But u say u want our feedback. Not sure how that works when u don't reply or hear a word your players are saying.

• Like 1

The bad Lag and 255 ping is coming from the Market buildings and the trade routes created within,  Something is buggy with the code.  If you can, have everyone in your grid remove the market for now unitl its fixed and your lag issues will be gone.   Its going to be a few patches before its going to be solid and working.  

Hope that helps,  and I hope you can get your other grid members to do the same... 

• Like 1

I still think they do their side projects fulltime. And then, from time to time, on leftover basis, couple of guys open ATLAS project for 2 hours, do something there, and then close it and only open it back after week or two. They just not interested.

17 hours ago, George Catcher said:

I still think they do their side projects fulltime. And then, from time to time, on leftover basis, couple of guys open ATLAS project for 2 hours, do something there, and then close it and only open it back after week or two. They just not interested.

I'd like to think that game developers care enough about their occupation to stay interested, but I've experienced too many game endings to really believe that.  I used to run a private Ultima Online server, and it kind of made me burn out and not want to play, so I get where they are coming from.  But it's a fact that unless you play, or are willing to hire people to play, you are going to lose touch with what the game is all about. 

One thing that stands out for me from my experience running a server is the incessant efforts by players to exploit the game.  I actually recruited some of the worst players in an effort to improve the coding (private UO servers are script based, but the emulator was built well enough that you could modify just about everything), but in the end, producing a game rather than playing seriously damaged my enthusiasm.

ETA:  My tag "Bugboy" refers to my career as an entomologist.  I do mosquito control work, and have done that work for over 30 years.  It STILL fascinates me and challenges me, but most of all, I never seem to flag in my interest in it.  I'm good at it, so that helps.  Maybe these guys just aren't good at what they do?

Edited by Bugboy
  • Like 1

Lol I have been a carpenter for 30 years and still love going to work and getting something built. I have had many opportunities to be involved with programming as a job but I always thought that would take the fun away from playing. Ultima Online, very cool! I have been sailing ships on the seas since Ultima 4.

• Haha 1

Missed ultima

Played pen and paper D & D though and started w Everquest. Heard some awesome Ultima griefer stories though lol

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gomez Addams said:

Lol I have been a carpenter for 30 years and still love going to work and getting something built. I have had many opportunities to be involved with programming as a job but I always thought that would take the fun away from playing. Ultima Online, very cool! I have been sailing ships on the seas since Ultima 4.

Oh, so NOW we know who built Thing's box?

ETA: Boats in UO were a friggin' nightmare to script.  I nearly got it working but I think due to lag I'd lose a piece of the boat here and there.

Edited by Bugboy
  • Haha 2

16 minutes ago, Ranger1k said:

Missed ultima

Played pen and paper D & D though and started w Everquest. Heard some awesome Ultima griefer stories though lol

It's still going.  I keep a house on Atlantic server just for grins and giggles.  They were trying to adapt it to 3d rendering, which I was pretty pleased with, but apparently it was too problematic and they reverted back to the 2D "pixie" type animation.  They've done pretty well with it (as evidenced by it still being in business), but the graphics haven't aged well, especially when you scale it up to 4K. 😐

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Gomez Addams said:

50 minutes ago, Bugboy said:

Oh, so NOW we know who built Thing's box?

ETA: Boats in UO were a friggin' nightmare to script.  I nearly got it working but I think due to lag I'd lose a piece of the boat here and there.

My coding skills never got beyond "Hello World"

I can still take ya waaay back though. I remember watching my neighbor type for 2 days just so we could play Pong back in the 80s 🤣

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Ranger1k said:

My coding skills never got beyond "Hello World"

I can still take ya waaay back though. I remember watching my neighbor type for 2 days just so we could play Pong back in the 80s 🤣

I also did some stuff in Second Life, but it got to the point where objects were not created in-game, but by importing from a 3d renderer.  I made a decent income crafting floating "Roger Dean" style islands that people would build their houses on, using an in-game 3d shape renderer that was pretty rudimentary.  Pre-fab shapes and such, nothing custom.  But, I wasn't talented enough to figure out how to use the freebie 3D apps, and couldn't afford the commercial products. That experienced gave me the "matrix" insight into how things like running water is created in games, so I can't look at a stream in any game without seeing the various pieces and parts of it that make it work.

Oddly enough, I got started coding from being an early user in my RL job of something call ArcView, which is now called ArcMap.  It's a mapping program used by just about everyone over the last 20-30 years.  I use an app extension of it called "Collector" daily for nearly all aspects of our operation, but now I'm in management so I've got some talented people to do the coding for me. 🙂

Edited by Bugboy
  • Like 1

Ey @Bugboy your an entomologist AND have programming skills?...

Your here to implement the flying ship from from the login screen aren't you?...

ADMIT IT

It has bug wings... 👀

1 minute ago, Ranger1k said:

Ey @Bugboy your an entomologist AND have programming skills?...

Your here to implement the flying ship from from the login screen aren't you?...

ADMIT IT

It has bug wings... 👀

OMG I had a dream project for Second Life to start a school to teach mosquito identification using 3d renders of mosquitoes.  I figured out how to do it, but I couldn't get anyone in the research community interested.  I suspect it was because Second Life has a reputation as a kind of virtual phone sex...

• Haha 1

@Ranger1k I spend many moons scanning piles of mosquitoes in my younger days, a talent that is very similar to scanning lines of code.  I guess they don't call them "bugs" for no good reason? 

And your bit about "Hello World" was one of the first things to learn in Second Life,  making a block say that, then later using that kind of code to flag bugs.  I did that in UO too, to track bugs, inserting squawk code so that when something glitched, you could identify where it was in the code.

ETA: sorry for hijacking this thread 🙂

Edited by Bugboy