Sign in to follow this  
Lawdog2012

New Gold Costs for Ships

At almost 3k.

Butt cheeks all puckered up though, my shipyard is cutting it close on depth. If i drop that 5k schooner in the water and it blows up because my shipyard isn't deep enough I'm gonna be grumpy, lol. 😣

• Like 1

On 11/9/2020 at 9:30 AM, McDangles said:

I don't think $5000 is TOO bad for a schooner.  Realistically you could farm that pretty easily with just diving and the mats are somewhat trivial.  $25,000 and $50,000 for a brig and galleon respectively PLUS mats?  Come on.  Unless this trade system is going to give a bunch of gold I think that's pretty harsh.  If you're going to do something like that at least increase the gold drops for SotD.  I go diving and get 70G from a mediocre wreck.  Kill a brig and schooner SotD and get 17G total.

I think the price for the brig and gallon could be more but think the schooner should be a little cheaper.  Ship sinks just as quick before. Maybe if the sinking was not so fast where you could run her to ground and have time to  fix her it would not be that bad. All I see now are cheap sloops on the water.

I've been in Atlas since it started. I've never had 5000 gold at one time. This seems way too high to me. I don't see ever grinding gold for a ship unless grinding gold with a sloop becomes much much faster. And without ships why be here. This decision seems bizarre to me.

The Atlas developers seem to be obsessed with inducing grinding. Maybe this is to replace the pain the farmhouse removed. Games should be fun. This is not fun.

If you want to reduce ships, then reduce the ship limit. The last I remember it was something like 300 per player. Why not make the limit 10.

I play on PVE... things may be different on PVP.  Maybe this has some understandable logic on a PVP server.  

On 11/12/2020 at 12:30 AM, King Galahad said:

It's funny, in this tweet they want people on less landlubber duties and more time out at sea, then they put on ridiculous gold requirements for ships, meaning more landlubber duties.

While I agree that something needed to be done about the ship spam, personally I think it is ridiculous that a schooner is 5k gold and a brig is 25k gold. These changes make it almost impossible for a casual player to get a ship, or anyone that doesn't start out right away and get themselves an island. As a player that started late last season (returning after a break from the game), I can tell you that this change will make it next to impossible for a late starting player to get anywhere. The numbers for this game seem to keep dropping, and it is poorly thought out ideas such as this.

"These changes make it almost impossible for a casual player to get a ship"

^This.  Exactly...

On 11/9/2020 at 4:23 AM, Sheepshooter said:

Which might become a good thing, as the worthless ship spam might be over...

One sentence.

Sloops are free and take 10 minutes to build a kitted one. that's far worse spam imo.

• Like 2

Ill state my word: I love the new ship prices. Let’s review some hard topics for people but first: This game is a mmorpg sandbox survival. No one treated it like such and now are being forced to. This new trade system will allow for players to get resources that were inaccessible before to make blueprints. Blueprinting will and is now more important. With that aside lets dive in. The gold cost of the ships are perfect, ships should be valuable and mean something to players not just be “oh let me throw this away to (insert whatever)”. Secondly people complaining about now its impossible for a small group or solo player to achieve bigger ships. Again false me and my mate had a schooner 4 hours into wipe, do maps learn to actually do melee combat and upgrade your gear. Progression is key. This is no longer gonna be a game where someone can start off as a level 1 bob and be as strong as a 120 vet. The sooner you accept this and move on from old ways the sooner you’ll be up back on your feet. So much in this game is about to change and its so far really good changes. Ill give you an example of what this kinda change is already doing too. I ran into a guy in lawless today that was upset because he wanted a fully decked out brig already mass filled with barrels to go raiding people who weren’t ready for it meaning he was a worthless pvp troll ruining the game for others but was stopped because of this one simple change. Now if your still upset by this your probably one of those pvp trolls and i welcome your uninstall. This game is finally going in the right direction and I’ve seen a lot of people who left because of the pvp trolls coming back because they have something finally coming in that helps against it. I hope to see more changes in the future that further reward progression over pvp trolling. Thank you devs for the hard work!

Edit: also advice: ships with real player crews and proper equipment can last forever i know because we had a fight with 4 brigs that had barrels and cannon balls and we outlasted all their ammo and proceeded to go into a melee fight on our deck won and left . So stop building skeleton ships with all your points in one basket and build them to actually last. 

Edit2: we were a base ship, they were masterwork+

Edited by Quilcerin

9 hours ago, Zeenjayli said:

One sentence.

Sloops are free and take 10 minutes to build a kitted one. that's far worse spam imo.

Well, if you have 40 Sloops standing around (anchor limit) it is much less structures as the 25 Schooners, 10 Brigs and 5 Gallys...
Also Sloop number 41 will help a lot to reduce the number of Sloop spam...
Also as we see now, every Sloop is a target for a Schooner now...
BTW if the Trade system would finally work as intended, there are no more cargo ships needed...

Back to what I said, with the new limit on ships (as in Gold cost) people have to think if and for what they need a ship.
Hell with the Farmhouses we could have spammed 40 Brigs on day two and our settlers as well from the same farmhouses...
Loosing such a cheap ship would set you back by the time it takes to take the resources from the bank into the shipyard...

The problem I still see is that ships are still as unsafe as ever from getting harbor run or lawless offlined, because of useless defenses that require multi thousand structure to maybe work... And I think that is the mismatch we have with the gold cost for ships now... not that you have a problem with working on getting the gold for a schooner now... but that you know that thing might already be sunk when you come back online... so is it worth your time farming for it in the first place, when it might be 5k gold a day just to ride a Schooner when you are online...
I guess Freeporting still works...

On 11/13/2020 at 6:57 PM, Gemini Five said:

I've been in Atlas since it started. I've never had 5000 gold at one time. This seems way too high to me. I don't see ever grinding gold for a ship unless grinding gold with a sloop becomes much much faster. And without ships why be here. This decision seems bizarre to me.

The Atlas developers seem to be obsessed with inducing grinding. Maybe this is to replace the pain the farmhouse removed. Games should be fun. This is not fun.

If you want to reduce ships, then reduce the ship limit. The last I remember it was something like 300 per player. Why not make the limit 10.

I play on PVE... things may be different on PVP.  Maybe this has some understandable logic on a PVP server.  

I agree. single person could have a max of 2 - 3 and a guild maybe 10 or less even.

When i played as well gold was not fun to gather due to the fact fighting was very very janky, broken and 0 flow to it, which i doubt has changed. Also they weighed a lot, not sure if that has changed. 

Stack on top of this a game where you can lose your stuff from no fault of your own. imagine spending time farming the gold for your ship to bug out or bombarded crossing a region. This feels like a idea for when everything else is placed and working, but like someone said. paying for a ship that you spent time gathering the mats for yourself, then to be charged? Who am i paying?

On 11/14/2020 at 1:36 PM, Quilcerin said:

Ill state my word: I love the new ship prices. Let’s review some hard topics for people but first: This game is a mmorpg sandbox survival. No one treated it like such and now are being forced to. This new trade system will allow for players to get resources that were inaccessible before to make blueprints. Blueprinting will and is now more important. With that aside lets dive in. The gold cost of the ships are perfect, ships should be valuable and mean something to players not just be “oh let me throw this away to (insert whatever)”. Secondly people complaining about now its impossible for a small group or solo player to achieve bigger ships. Again false me and my mate had a schooner 4 hours into wipe, do maps learn to actually do melee combat and upgrade your gear. Progression is key. This is no longer gonna be a game where someone can start off as a level 1 bob and be as strong as a 120 vet. The sooner you accept this and move on from old ways the sooner you’ll be up back on your feet. So much in this game is about to change and its so far really good changes. Ill give you an example of what this kinda change is already doing too. I ran into a guy in lawless today that was upset because he wanted a fully decked out brig already mass filled with barrels to go raiding people who weren’t ready for it meaning he was a worthless pvp troll ruining the game for others but was stopped because of this one simple change. Now if your still upset by this your probably one of those pvp trolls and i welcome your uninstall. This game is finally going in the right direction and I’ve seen a lot of people who left because of the pvp trolls coming back because they have something finally coming in that helps against it. I hope to see more changes in the future that further reward progression over pvp trolling. Thank you devs for the hard work!

Hilarious. Paying gold for a ship forces the game to be a mmorpg? Same as the minigames to reload your gun, huh? Hahaha.

There is so much wrong here, that er logic to stop the barrels, just stop the ships, is great. If you met me on a ship, someone would be throwing their ship away. Or it would just be run. What has changed there except less fighting and more grinding for gold?

On 11/14/2020 at 1:36 PM, Quilcerin said:

Edit: also advice: ships with real player crews and proper equipment can last forever i know because we had a fight with 4 brigs that had barrels and cannon balls and we outlasted all their ammo and proceeded to go into a melee fight on our deck won and left . So stop building skeleton ships with all your points in one basket and build them to actually last. 

Edit2: we were a base ship, they were masterwork+

No skeleton ship with all your points in one basket and build them to actually last, then you can beat masterwork if you have people who are cool enough to play in your company and most important part is the PROPER equipment. Right, that makes sense too, and don't need any further details obviously. Wtf is a skeleton ship with all your points in one basket that is actually built to last

Before wipe I was traveling around the world and saw like huge monstrous bases with 15-20 lvl-1 Galleys parked around. After I wipe I saw same huge monstrous base with like 30-40 lvl-1 sloops parked around... so it's not big difference for me : ))

But anyway. I do love the idea that ships should worth something, so players could buy one, care about it, use it, keep it safe. So expensive ship itself is NOT a problem. The game is. If player able to set his trade route - it's fine. If not - it's just same Atlas as before with only difference.

DEVs force player to sail sloop, and sloop is just bad.

You need to get honey and bear, to make it possible to do treasure maps (same problem with no alternative to tames). So you have to sail for them. Then maps. Higher maps - is farther travel, and sloop is just not designed for that. You can barely put anything you need for far travels. Storage box, resource box, bed, grille, mess table, barrel, smithy, steering wheel... and of course you need to put bear somwhere. Size of a bear is around 1/5 size of a sloop. It will be very cramped and uncomfortable. 

Then it goes 11 knots downwind when it's full wind and 6 knots when it's calm. So that means if you go for map around lvl-10, the ONE WAY sailing will take around 3 hours. And there were a lot of words about current fascinating sailing. All problems are here as well. Empty ocean. Low distance SOTD rendering. Whales and SOTDs camping borders. Fog that affect only player. Stupid pacman game with 100 tornadoes.

It's actually a bit worse than before, because due to lack of Brigs and Galleys around - no players are clearing the areas. And of course dodging SOTD with a Schooner when you ride 18 knots are way different from when you dodging them at 9 knots Sloop. And of course with Schooner you can catch a wind and get to your desire destination. With sloop you won't make it in time, wind will rotate and you'll anyway experience calm and counterwind (3 knots sailing is FASCINATING!) 

Also with sloop there is just no resources gathering. Because it just can't carry em all... Players just need to suffer for some time. And that's it...

IMAO in good pirate game, all ships from small to big could serve their purpose. Tiny boat for local purposes, some fishing, earn money for bigger one. In Atlas you have to use tiny one, for all you should do with big and fast and that's WRONG!!!

71s2xxr.jpg

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, George Catcher said:

Before wipe I was traveling around the world and saw like huge monstrous bases with 15-20 lvl-1 Galleys parked around. After I wipe I saw same huge monstrous base with like 30-40 lvl-1 sloops parked around... so it's not big difference for me : ))

But anyway. I do love the idea that ships should worth something, so players could buy one, care about it, use it, keep it safe. So expensive ship itself is NOT a problem. The game is. If player able to set his trade route - it's fine. If not - it's just same Atlas as before with only difference.

DEVs force player to sail sloop, and sloop is just bad.

You need to get honey and bear, to make it possible to do treasure maps (same problem with no alternative to tames). So you have to sail for them. Then maps. Higher maps - is farther travel, and sloop is just not designed for that. You can barely put anything you need for far travels. Storage box, resource box, bed, grille, mess table, barrel, smithy, steering wheel... and of course you need to put bear somwhere. Size of a bear is around 1/5 size of a sloop. It will be very cramped and uncomfortable. 

Then it goes 11 knots downwind when it's full wind and 6 knots when it's calm. So that means if you go for map around lvl-10, the ONE WAY sailing will take around 3 hours. And there were a lot of words about current fascinating sailing. All problems are here as well. Empty ocean. Low distance SOTD rendering. Whales and SOTDs camping borders. Fog that affect only player. Stupid pacman game with 100 tornadoes.

It's actually a bit worse than before, because due to lack of Brigs and Galleys around - no players are clearing the areas. And of course dodging SOTD with a Schooner when you ride 18 knots are way different from when you dodging them at 9 knots Sloop. And of course with Schooner you can catch a wind and get to your desire destination. With sloop you won't make it in time, wind will rotate and you'll anyway experience calm and counterwind (3 knots sailing is FASCINATING!) 

Also with sloop there is just no resources gathering. Because it just can't carry em all... Players just need to suffer for some time. And that's it...

IMAO in good pirate game, all ships from small to big could serve their purpose. Tiny boat for local purposes, some fishing, earn money for bigger one. In Atlas you have to use tiny one, for all you should do with big and fast and that's WRONG!!!

71s2xxr.jpg

lol, nice pic. That's what I felt like last night seeing what I could fit on one. By the time I was finished, I'd be faster putting on my dive suit and walking to other islands.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, George Catcher said:

Before wipe I was traveling around the world and saw like huge monstrous bases with 15-20 lvl-1 Galleys parked around. After I wipe I saw same huge monstrous base with like 30-40 lvl-1 sloops parked around...

Have you ever had a gally and/or been in a decent company? Not much difference for you? What are you, simple or something?

Players just need to suffer for some time. And that's it...

big and fast and *fun* is WRONG?? lol ok mate

edit: read this and try to reply:

Edited by eeeceee

Have you ever had a gally and/or been in a decent company? Not much difference for you?

I had once. And don't wanna ever own one again. And yeah Im talking about my point of view, when I approach some island and it's beyond imagination glitchy due to overcrowded shore, and really hard to find a place to anchor my boat. And I'm still don't believe that like 30 Galleys are needed even for MEGA. Because I never saw them away - always parked the same place.

big and fast and *fun* is WRONG??

Again. I'm telling that you have to use TINY AND SLOW ship for BIG AND FAST ships PURPOSES. That's wrong. But the current game problem - there is just not many purposes at all. And totally not for sloops. In the early state we could use one to travel from freeport to our settlement island (in the very beginning the only option was raft). So sloop was one way ship, which then was used to garbage shores. Right now we forced to use it for half atlas travels with tames onboard.

As for bps... I don't play PVP, so I don't know how things going there (I only knows that barrels can oneshot full mythic Galley). But in PVE - bps doesn't matter. Before wipe I've done most of quests with just common Brig (for quest I SOLO took down damned 4 ships squad that contained lvl-56 and lvl-60 Galleys plus lvl-54 and lvl-56 Brigs). And that's also problem because I don't feel I get any rewards for my efforts.

@George Catcher

So on the sloop to schooner grind:

You dont need a bear for low level (like 5 and below) maps, you can definitely melee them solo. Further you dont need to go far. I was able to grind out the 5k in two runs of 4 grids (b5 (home)>c5>c6>b6) then I did another simlar to the north, so I did not need to go far. This was with a bunch of .5 to 5.6 maps.

As such the only thing I had on my sloop was a chest, box, bed and wheel.

It definitely slows things down if you go this route, but total play of 8 hours felt ok (to me) to "earn" the schooner.

Once on the schooner things pickup since your going to go far and have bears etc (case in point im at 6k gold atm with about 4hrs sunk time, and figure ill be about 10k at the 8hour/at home port mark.) At this point the question is is it worth the time sink for a brig of about 20-25hrs of /played.

To which Id say no its not. Originally I said I thought itd feel right for the cost to be about 10k on a brig, and I think thats still about right from a /played pov.

There needed to be a shift in slowing down the intial rush, esp given how easy resources are now, although I still think they went too far with the brig costs, at least that 1st "real" ship feels about there.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, George Catcher said:

Because I never saw them away

Thought so. How sad.

Again. I'm telling that you have to use TINY AND SLOW ship for BIG AND FAST ships PURPOSES. That's wrong.

Hahahaha what?

But the current game problem - there is just not many purposes at all. And totally not for sloops. In the early state we could use one to travel from freeport to our settlement island (in the very beginning the only option was raft). So sloop was one way ship, which then was used to garbage shores. Right now we forced to use it for half atlas travels with tames onboard.

As for bps... I don't play PVP, so I don't know how things going there (I only knows that barrels can oneshot full mythic Galley). But in PVE - bps doesn't matter. Before wipe I've done most of quests with just common Brig (for quest I SOLO took down damned 4 ships squad that contained lvl-56 and lvl-60 Galleys plus lvl-54 and lvl-56 Brigs). And that's also problem because I don't feel I get any rewards for my efforts.

You don't feel you get rewards for playing PVE in this marvelous game?

Huh, wonder why.

I was able to grind out the 5k in two runs of 4 grids (b5 (home)>c5>c6>b6) then I did another simlar to the north, so I did not need to go far. This was with a bunch of .5 to 5.6 maps.

Yeah, but lvl-5 map usually gives around 300 gold (a bit more), it means you need around 15 bottles this level. U lucky that you found that many. I didn't. It's about 10 bottles around all islands I searched. Half of them were broken. Most of them were 1-2 lvl. Some - lvl-5. Some - lvl-10 and more. I found even couple of lvl-19... with my journey I was getting about 1300 gold per day. So 4 full days sailing sloop... some players can play from morning till night. They would do that in 2. Some players - can play for 3 hours. They will do it in a week or two, and they will have to put all long journey stuff in sloop, because they wont be able to get back to base every day...

1 hour ago, Gindorf said:

Originally I said I thought itd feel right for the cost to be about 10k on a brig, and I think thats still about right from a /played pov.

Played pov? It is an artificial time sink, that exists due to inability to balance the game/make the game something other than a useless time sink. Irony, huh?

There needed to be a shift in slowing down the intial rush, esp given how easy resources are now, although I still think they went too far with the brig costs, at least that 1st "real" ship feels about there.

Remember when people were asking for more ships? Less grind? Now its just hey man make me mindlessly grind so i can get my 1st "real " ship.

52 minutes ago, George Catcher said:

Yeah, but lvl-5 map usually gives around 300 gold (a bit more), it means you need around 15 bottles this level. U lucky that you found that many. I didn't. It's about 10 bottles around all islands I searched. Half of them were broken. Most of them were 1-2 lvl. Some - lvl-5. Some - lvl-10 and more. I found even couple of lvl-19... with my journey I was getting about 1300 gold per day. So 4 full days sailing sloop... some players can play from morning till night. They would do that in 2. Some players - can play for 3 hours. They will do it in a week or two, and they will have to put all long journey stuff in sloop, because they wont be able to get back to base every day...

er, Ok man, hope you find some more maps/figure out how to not suck at finding maps

1 hour ago, eeeceee said:

Played pov? It is an artificial time sink, that exists due to inability to balance the game/make the game something other than a useless time sink. Irony, huh?

Video games are, by thier nature, useless timesinks.

That said, it is a time sink to get a schooner. I believe the intent is to make it feel like your are progressing. Now should the progression be quicker than current, i think that remains to be seen. From my point of view the time played (/played) for a schooner I think it about right, for an inital fresh start.

Clearly you think otherwise, so what would be your solution on the schooner?

1 hour ago, eeeceee said:

Remember when people were asking for more ships? Less grind? Now its just hey man make me mindlessly grind so i can get my 1st "real " ship.

Im still asking for more ship types. (Seriously need something between a brig and a galley).

The counter concern of ship spam vs grinding, is that each ship needs server resources and those resources used reduce the availabilty for other items to run on the server. You can throw hardware at this problem only for so long before it becomes unstainable. Therefore if you reduce the number of ships existing vs Season 4, in theory there are more server resources for say, a bunch of trading ships sailing around the world.

But how long does that really last for? If your delayed 10 hours in getting your 1st real ship, then it only takes you say 20 hours for your next one, easily within a month you have plenty of ships (baring pvp, losses ofc) and probaly a stock pile of gold.

Ultimately I think this gold grind only slows the early game down, by the time you hit mid game it just picks up as the intial gold sink is reduced, while gold income is not.

And yes ot most certainly hurts smalls/solos as theu can easily be wiped and forced to start the early game grind over (which will not help the player population be sustained)

@George Catcher
the maps were really effd up i lost so many i lost count. It took me about 9 runs around my island to collect enough for the schooner, so i guess you could add another ~5 hours to that grind (although i was focused on basing up, preparing, finding where stuff was, farmhouses, etc (ie the "land game") during that time as well. And yes that was at about 2.5-3 hours a night.

The current 10k im working through with the schooner atm are the JM remeants from those runs, so ill have to farm up more to keep going further.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Gindorf said:

You think so? Well, so are books, and anything that requires rational thought, which you appear to be lacking.

That said, it is a time sink to get a schooner.

Ok, how much do you realllllly want that schooner? Lol.

I believe the intent is to make it feel like your are progressing.

However, regardless of intent, you are "progressing" like that crab in a bucket.

Now should the progression be quicker than current, i think that remains to be seen.

If you what to see things, open your eyes maybe?

From my point of view the time played (/played) for a schooner I think it about right, for an inital fresh start.

Clearly you think otherwise, so what would be your solution on the schooner?

Stop nerfing shit due to lack of game programming skills/understanding of how to play a game?

Im still asking for more ship types. (Seriously need something between a brig and a galley).

Here, have a ramming ship.

The counter concern of ship spam vs grinding, is that each ship needs server resources and those resources used reduce the availabilty for other items to run on the server. You can throw hardware at this problem only for so long before it becomes unstainable. Therefore if you reduce the number of ships existing vs Season 4, in theory there are more server resources for say, a bunch of trading ships sailing around the world.

Hai guiz. we want to get you all out on the ocean sailing in ships, and now we going to blah blah blah trading ships blah blah yeah its not working, but blah blah we really dont actually want to pay for good servers, or create a game that isnt just spaghetti code so that it can actually run on the shitty servers we have.

But how long does that really last for? If your delayed 10 hours in getting your 1st real ship, then it only takes you say 20 hours for your next one, easily within a month you have plenty of ships (baring pvp, losses ofc) and probaly a stock pile of gold.

Yeah in a month you get wiped btw, lol? Seriously man, wake up.

Ultimately I think this gold grind only slows the early game down, by the time you hit mid game it just picks up as the intial gold sink is reduced, while gold income is not.

And yes ot most certainly hurts smalls/solos as theu can easily be wiped and forced to start the early game grind over (which will not help the player population be sustained)

@George Catcher
the maps were really effd up i lost so many i lost count. It took me about 9 runs around my island to collect enough for the schooner, so i guess you could add another ~5 hours to that grind (although i was focused on basing up, preparing, finding where stuff was, farmhouses, etc (ie the "land game") during that time as well. And yes that was at about 2.5-3 hours a night.

The current 10k im working through with the schooner atm are the JM remeants from those runs, so ill have to farm up more to keep going further.

I cbf to reply to the rest of this dribble.

Edited by eeeceee

49 minutes ago, Gindorf said:

Dude, read what was actually writen, I was agreeing with you, yet you attack me like an angry midget. No wonder EA forums are so bad with dispshits like you on it.

I did read, and I gave you responses to each little thing that you wrote. How about you do the same, and we will all say we are soooooo grateful to have amazing people like you on "EA" forums.

Thats great that you say you agree with me however. Thanks?

Edited by eeeceee

Yes, the difference is that some time sinks are enjoyable and some are not. 

I find this new gold grind to not be enjoyable. I'm now spending most of my time back on Eve Online & Warships. This is because I don't have a ship! ... and I, 1. find the grind price for them too high. 2. at this the grind price I would not want to risk its loss.

This means for me, Atlas just became far less enjoyable. This means I'll log on enough to reset timers while I play games I find more enjoyable.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Gemini Five said:

Yes, the difference is that some time sinks are enjoyable and some are not. 

I find this new gold grind to not be enjoyable. I'm now spending most of my time back on Eve Online & Warships. This is because I don't have a ship! ... and I, 1. find the grind price for them too high. 2. at this the grind price I would not want to risk its loss.

This means for me, Atlas just became far less enjoyable. This means I'll log on enough to reset timers while I play games I find more enjoyable.

Yeah, it's an odd decision. At the same time they seem to aiming to minimize grinding for resources with farms/markets/etc., they upped the grind for ships radically. And that is after they indicated they wanted people out on the water sooner/more. It all just reeks of lack of planning and completely ignoring of the playerbase's concerns. New player, solos, and small companies really suffer under these changes and they don't address any of the repeated concerns (such as how easy it is to lose a ship to bugs, griefers, etc.). Likewise, it's baffling they the devs aren't aggressively rooting out some of the core bugs and instabilities before adding in whole new systems (that don't work).

Wouldn't it be easier to develop some of the existing systems like adding more depth to NPCs (heck they already have NPC pirate boats- work on improving those and making them capturable like the NPC pirate camps)?  Heck, you could probably expand out to some basic factions pretty easily (such as Law/Navy/whatever that patrol around freeports and will assist players against SOTDs and pirates, and pirates that periodically spawn and are more than happy to attack players and raid/capture settlements).

You could even roll that into player factions where players who attack other players without offering warning (and a chance to flee) get lumped into the pirate faction and lose benefits of the Law faction. Heck, use that to have faction quest givers to supplement treasure maps with tasks (sink X SOTD, bring me X resources, etc.).

Edited by jmurph
Spacing for readability
  • Thanks 2

Hey man nice post, I think, but can you use paragraphs?

edit: yay thanks!! best post ever on this forum

Edited by eeeceee