Sign in to follow this  
Lawdog2012

New Gold Costs for Ships

It does not depend on how much gold a ship costs...
...but how much the gold costs...
...in time and effort to get it...

The only thing for sure is, that the ships will 'cost' more than before - as said by the devs...
Which might become a good thing, as the worthless ship spam might be over...
Makes the ships more of an achievement...

Unfortunately they still sink as fast as the worthless versions before...
And that might become a big issue, now that when your ship gets off-lined or sunk in harbor by a barrel, it is 'just' the resources PLUS the gold...
Will you replace your ship, that you cannot protect properly, daily if the gold is harder to get than the fiber to build it?
Or will you build even more massive harbor defenses ( = more structures = more lag ) thereby not going sailing...
And even then... Barrels...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was going to make a point about bps, because they are not worthless spam and are an achievement, but then you said barrels at the end there.

I'll admit this. Been fartin around in a lil sloop and its kinda fun so far in a nostalgic way..

I've uninstalled the game and truly don't think they keep it with just ridiculous priced ships. Such a waste for what started out to be a very potent game.

• Thanks 4

I don't think $5000 is TOO bad for a schooner.  Realistically you could farm that pretty easily with just diving and the mats are somewhat trivial.  $25,000 and $50,000 for a brig and galleon respectively PLUS mats?  Come on.  Unless this trade system is going to give a bunch of gold I think that's pretty harsh.  If you're going to do something like that at least increase the gold drops for SotD.  I go diving and get 70G from a mediocre wreck.  Kill a brig and schooner SotD and get 17G total.

• Like 1

@McDangles The odd man out is the brig...

It  was my favorite ship in PvE, season 3. Great for whaling/diving towards a rare resource location, slap on a cargo rack, farm mats, then whale/dive back home. Fantastic on that old map I'd avg ~1k an hour whaling, get some bps and multitask getting mats too. Was almost perfect.

On Season 4 playing PvP however i had to run schooners. In PvP Brig lacks the speed of a schooner, for hit and runs, and it lacks the brute force/ team characteristics of a gally. The only thing people used it for was farming SotD in safe waters close to home. They got sank alot.. I don't know i mean a REALLY well prepared 2-3 person team COULD team play w them, but overall, they need better- base stats, more cannon ports, more crew slots and atleast a 3k weight increase. If a schooner is 5k, the brigs current cost should NOT be 5x a schooner and half of a gally, unless they buff it.

Ok back to fartin around in this sloop, seeing if theres a "sloop-meta" 😂

There's no sloop meta, shooting barrels from it, there used to be, but not anymore. They used to be cheap and quaint and fun.

20 hours ago, Ranger1k said:

In PvP Brig lacks the speed of a schooner, for hit and runs, and it lacks the brute force/ team characteristics of a gally. The only thing people used it for was farming SotD in safe waters close to home. They got sank alot.. I don't know i mean a REALLY well prepared 2-3 person team COULD team play w them, but overall, they need better- base stats, more cannon ports, more crew slots and atleast a 3k weight increase.

Indeed. In pvp some people still like to use them, but I think they suck. If those stats on the brig aren't increased, the turn should be increased at the least. The only thing a brig is good for is turning.

• Like 1

I guess the other thing i seen them used for was base raiding lawless. One grid over was lawless guys would go base raid in pairs. If someone didn't babysit the brig though they'd come back with a full inventory to a sunk ship. 🤣

Because the stats are so off though people usually built them w 12 cannons in the rear or on one side, leaving the other side blank. It needs to be buffed, replaced w an actual middle point ship, or a 4th type above brig and below gally. Maybe thats what the ramming ship will be?

@Lawdog2012 to your original point yes i agree theyre probably excessive. Still having some mixed emotions about it though. We wont know for a month or 2 after the wipe really.

Pros 

Possibly less clutter improving server performance

Possibly more 1v1, 2v2 fighting, ship boarding etc, could be fun if alot of people just forgo the big ships and start sailing around swinging onto each others lil throwaway sloops spearing and clubbing eachother.. lol

Cons

Too many to list but I'll try

Takes FOREVER to travel a significant distance unless you can keep the weight down in a sloop

Mid-high level SotDs plank a common sloop fairly quickly

Theres ALOT of ways to quickly lose a 5k schooner and a 25k brig....  Barrels, glitch/ crash to desktop, icebergs, whales, crossing grids into an SotD fleet, newb mistakes (setting sail w/out proper repair supplies and/ or not realizing a "teammate" pilfered them), offline harbor run, getting simply outgunned or outplayed by a larger group-better quality ship-more experienced or better players, server wipe, cheating, insiding, not realizing a ship is over crewed, teammate borrows your ship and derps out... probably still a few invisible rocks around... The list goes on.. God forbid you're 30 minutes into a mission on the PvP server and an actual real life emergency comes up gotta park and pray, electric/ internet goes out... That "sense of accomplishment" will quickly turn to outrage for anyone not spending frugally... Possibly alot of disagreements and frustration inside companies regarding what to buy and when

Based on the minimal info we have atm i think most companies will turtle up on their lil base/ island, spamming defenses thereby negating any server performance gains.

Also i agree w @McDangles that the loot tables aren't right. I'd take it a step further and call the SotD loot table absolutely absurd. Flotsam yield about the same as SotD and they dont fight back.. This has ALWAYS contributed to player frustration imo.

So yea I think the devs should be careful and, final thing, prices should be more like 1k, 5k, 25k or .5k, 2k, 10k. I agree w @Chucksteak that maybe the prices are appropriate for PvE (sorry y'all) but for PvP, no.

Edited by Ranger1k

5 hours ago, Ranger1k said:

@Ranger1k

So yea I think the devs should be careful and, final thing, prices should be more like 1k, 5k, 25k or .5k, 2k, 10k. I agree w @Chucksteak that maybe the prices are appropriate for PvE (sorry y'all) but for PvP, no.

I don't even think the prices are appropriate for PvE.  I've played this game somewhat casually as a one man show since launch.  It's hard especially since you have to pick your skill tree very studiously since you won't have a full company with people with many skill sets.  I've never had more than about 12K gold.  Mostly because there was nothing to work towards other than buying tames.  However now the tames are losing their value due to the farmhouses.  So in that respect at least that gives gold more value but $25K for a brig is just silly.  I mean why WHO is a pirate in a lawless area paying for the right to build a ship?  Seems a little immersion breaking in a RPG.  Put that on the people in the civilized grids to pay to their government.  I think just give the option of either paying gold, or building with your mats, not both.

Edited by McDangles
  • Like 1

@McDangles lol at least i said MAYBE. 😀

Few caveats

I ran 2 accounts simultaneously on side by side xboxs. One character did the chores/ cooking/ crop farming/ crafting/ etc and was specced in Encumbrance.

Other account was built for captaineering, general adventuring, taming etc

Also I lived in the Arctic and crushed it whaling... averaged like 1k gold per hour all in.. Never did a single map. Not one. Bought and traded for BPs I wanted. Also I found an abandoned breeding herd of MULTIPLE types of tames...

Also i played PvE in Season 3 on the nice spacious map...

Tried PvE in Season 4 but going from owning my own island and having 100k banked to that cramped lagfest made me say fugg it. May as well play PvP, live spartan and assume more wipes and messes were on the way anywho. So, long story short, you're probably right.  Especially considering this is EA.

Sorry forgot how spoiled I was double-boxing AND having a nice spacious map. Fingers crossed for ya that somehow these trade routes rain gold or the price/time investment is made reasonable.

I stand corrected

well, i was thinking about this gold stuff until now, and i think it is too much

more people farm easier and faster and they have more quicker than others anyways

how about that:

1 company 1 member 1:1 gold price

1 company 2 members 2:1 gold price (double)

1 company 3 members 3:1 gold price (tripple)

and so on

1 island owner company 1 member 5:1

1 island owner company 2 members 7:1

and so on

the set amount of gold ranging from 5k over 25k to 50k would be "ok", if you are island owner

on PVE the average island owner had between 100k and 500k in the flag last season

obviously for island owners it is not a problem at all to pay that amount

after a certain time tho

this gold comes from making maps, over time

who is making maps if noone is playing?

noone.

so no gold income

brings us to the trading route

this is not tested at all

and i guess they want to test this how much gold it produces

so we have to differentiate

island owner company

-splitting in 1, 2, 3, 4, 5+ members

island allied/non allied/settlers company

laweless company

the island owner company i already described their gold income, tax from maps

the settler company doing maps and ocean treasures and they get a benefit if the island owner sets the flag to pay for allies (wich will not rly happen at a new beginning)

laweless company can only do maps and ocean treasures

since laweless companys are only doing maps and few treasures, the main gold comes from the laweless companys

ofc island owner company or settler companys do maps aswell, but for experience later, so later they do not need the gold, but laweless does, and the gold gets more and more for island owners

if a island flag has lets say 250k in it, and you pay 20 % tax, you know how many laweless/settler companysmust have been there

so at the beginning there will be gold and experience for all the companys

but later the laweless/settler companys have no gold anymore, they have no additional income

thats why i say compensate beeing a laweless/settlers company a little bit, 5k are too much to motivate people to play

1k  15k  30k

or

1k  10k  15k

maximum guys...

but as i stated above you can do this if you want to make the people play for time not for fun aswell:

1 company 1 member 1:1 gold price

1 company 2 members 2:1 gold price (double)

1 company 3 members 3:1 gold price (tripple)

and so on

1 island owner company 1 member 5:1

1 island owner company 2 members 7:1

the ppl wont play at all they quit after 1 or 2 weeks.

your laweless player numbers are at least 15 times higher than the island owner company and avrg. 3-4 times higher than the settler companys (incl. multiple companys on multiple islands incl laweless)

so the laweless ppl produce enough gold for island owners

i once said there is no reason to have an island,

well 😄

now you have one, but it does cost you yor laweless players that won't farm shit, so the island owners won't have that much in the bank anymore

then it comes from the settlers, but why should settlers farm this 5k and 25k and 50k

you see if only one side wins it sux, the island owner

so lets make 1k for schooner and the gold comes in slower for island owners but at least you have players

lets not forget the shops, some parts are expensive af

you will see this will ruin a lot if the trading route is not OP.

Edited by photek

paying for a ship that I build in my shipyard from resources I gathered is just ridiculous. It's like paying for my meal that I cooked and ran the errants to get the ingredients.

Ship spamming might be a massive issue here and there but trying to turn it off by making you buy your self-made ship is just evidence for the fact that the Devs lost conntrol of what they created (or effed up with numerous brain dead patches).

Maybe a ship limit per company either per capita or ship types is more desirable.  There's people out there especially on PVE who pretty much don't spam ships and don't feel like grinding for gold to get a better ship just to cruise the atlas.

bad decision in my eyes and a major blemish to official servers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, McDangles said:

Seems a little immersion breaking in a RPG.

Haha, here, have a barrel bomb to your face!!! :)

PvE POV:

Yeah 25k for a brig is crazy, 10k i think is a little more reasonable there. Maybe 25k for a frigate (seriously wheres that in between bad boy already, and no not some prefab bullshit either!)

50k for a gally on PvE, while I think its high w/e never liked em (other than the weight speed etc) since they were supposed to be a floating base that.. oh sorry build cap has been reached.

• Like 2

10k more reasonable how? Please show the working for your math, lol?

If you are on pve, what are you spending your gold on anyway?

From your post, it appears that you probably don't have much experience in playing this game. Thanks for your input though, even if it is difficult to get any value from it.

edit: this muppet says buff barrel bombs, what a surprise

Edited by eeeceee

1 hour ago, eeeceee said:

10k more reasonable how? Please show the working for your math, lol?

If you are on pve, what are you spending your gold on anyway?

From your post, it appears that you probably don't have much experience in playing this game. Thanks for your input though, even if it is difficult to get any value from it.

edit: this muppet says buff barrel bombs, what a surprise

Math: 42

Your right there is no maths, its more feelz. But lets extrapalate then. 10000, would take 10 1k gold maps, or 20, 500g maps. So 20 green maps (which are fairly easy to get and do, solo with a shit bear) gets you the 2nd best ship in the game.

I made and spent about 500k gold on pve last season. Mostly was spent on bears with stats i didnt have. My final bear (before i got bored and wandered away) had H20, M24, W18, S18.

I think I had about 50k in my boxes when i quit.

My experiance playing the game:1.6k hours, so nope not a clue wtf Im doing there clearly.

Bonus: Your god damn right buff barrels!!! I could only cull 18 bears at max with 1 barrel, should be be able to boom all the things with one. Since you clearly cant understand sarcasm: THIS BONUS SECTION IS SARCASM, JUST LIKE THAT COMMENT IN THE OTHER THREAD.

Hope that clears that up.

Hugs and kisses,

Gin

• Haha 3

Doing green maps with a shit bear, wow no wonder you bought a bear with gold. Having 50k for being a newb shitter is not bad.

• Sad 1

10 hours ago, eeeceee said:

Doing green maps with a shit bear, wow no wonder you bought a bear with gold. Having 50k for being a newb shitter is not bad.

I see the reading comprehension is not strong with you.

• Haha 1

It's funny, in this tweet they want people on less landlubber duties and more time out at sea, then they put on ridiculous gold requirements for ships, meaning more landlubber duties.

While I agree that something needed to be done about the ship spam, personally I think it is ridiculous that a schooner is 5k gold and a brig is 25k gold. These changes make it almost impossible for a casual player to get a ship, or anyone that doesn't start out right away and get themselves an island. As a player that started late last season (returning after a break from the game), I can tell you that this change will make it next to impossible for a late starting player to get anywhere. The numbers for this game seem to keep dropping, and it is poorly thought out ideas such as this.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, King Galahad said:

As a player that started late last season (returning after a break from the game), I can tell you that this change will make it next to impossible for a late starting player to get anywhere. The numbers for this game seem to keep dropping, and it is poorly thought out ideas such as this.

I hopped on not 12 hours after the wipe (I don't know when it came back up, but that's 12 hours from *scheduled* wipe, it was probably more like 6-8 hours) and it was foundation spam and walls everywhere.  Someone even had a warehouse up.  So, even that little bit of time made me a late starting player.  I am usually the last one to piss on some game that I've had a lot of fun with, but ATLAS is getting ridiculous.  There's a "new team"?    What GD skid row did they hire this team from?

Edited by Bugboy
grammar