Ucan_Kizmiaz

Seriously ?

After quite a long hiatus me and some friends got us a small server just to find out that you need gold coins to build your own ship in your own shipyard.

What the heck is wrong with the Devs ? Are they paying for the dinner they just prepped at home (if there's still some out there who don't live off delivered pizza)?  Leave alone that they paid for the ingredients. Or do they have coin-operated doors at their bathroom and slip a quarter in every time they have to leave a leak ?

"Building ships is core to the ATLAS experience, so you can still craft your own masterpiece.

Afterall, nothing beats the beauty of a ship that you create with your own blood, sweat, and tears!"

What about these two lines they came up with when introducing farmhouses and buying ships ?

This seriously is effed up.

Not to mention they never explained who gets the gold you pay to build your ships, with your mats, in your shipyard. Who gets the gold? What does the cost cover? Oh, a nod at a couple of my previous replies: I'm STILL waiting for the people who wanted/suggested we pay gold for our own ships to raise their hand....I've still not seen one raised hand

NOT a fan of gold being a required mat for ship making but I'll play devils advocate...

1. Maybe it should go into a company treasury

or

2. Be a reward for somebody owning, defending and "renting" a shipyard to another person?

3. Maybe the idea is a taxable-GOLD-mechanic that goes towards island upkeep?

4. Ship spam discouragement?

5. Part of a system not yet fully implemented w this aspect launched prematurely?

Please remember I'm playing devils advocate..

5 hours ago, Ranger1k said:

NOT a fan of gold being a required mat for ship making but I'll play devils advocate...

1. Maybe it should go into a company treasury

or

2. Be a reward for somebody owning, defending and "renting" a shipyard to another person?

3. Maybe the idea is a taxable-GOLD-mechanic that goes towards island upkeep?

4. Ship spam discouragement?

5. Part of a system not yet fully implemented w this aspect launched prematurely?

Please remember I'm playing devils advocate..

1: if the members of  a company don't gather resources for a ship they all CAN use then it's not a company and doesn't deserve any gold to be shared

2: a forced reward is not a reward but a tax. also why would i reward myself with gold i earned for a ship i build and in the end got rid off the gold. it doesn't make sense

3: correct me if i'm wrong but isn't there a tax anymore that goes to upkeep from every little bit anyone on my / our claimed territory farms ?

4: sloops and rafts still come without the requirement of gold and the only ship that you BUY when you start out is the ramshackle. well you trade it for the resources needed but the seller (and maybe crafter) doesn't get a single coin for his work. so if i want to spam ships to block or whatever i can use ramshakles, made sloops or rafts. easier build and replaced than any other ship. make it a limit of one ship per company member. not ideal for solo companies but maybe some exception can be implemented for that case. (edited for wrong term)

5: information about it would be appreciated but here we go again: the Wildcard attitude towards informing the community or the inability to admit to FUs faded over to Grapeshot as well (no lecture on how they're related needed on this end)

yes, i get the devil's advocate part and i thought about some reasons for adding gold to my own work like tar for the planks or disencourage ship spam etc. nonetheless it's utter bogus to make me pay (who gets it anyways) for my work. if it goes to the company then why ask for it as it's in the company already being my or may mate's gold.

screwed up big time

Edited by Ucan_Kizmiaz
some typos and terms edited

Once again *disclaimer* I'm playing devils advocate..

Also I'm thinking through this AS i type it. I haven't meditated on it all. Also its been ~6weeks since i played..

I've been in several companies and ships were rarely shared. Sometimes people tried to give me their old shitty, common gally that i never wanted.. lol.. or i piloted someone elses gally during an island switch etc. But i wanted my own baby (designed, used, outfitted, proper leveling point allocation and PROPERLY STOCKED by ME). So did ALMOST everyone else..

But then.....

Everyone whos been in a medium+ sized companies has had that doucher team mate. The guy who takes but doesn't refill, ya know what i mean? You ask him about it and he acts oblivious and keeps playing some other game and then comes back the next day and accidentally kills your only elephant? Maybe its a way of making HIM get off his ass and earn... or negotiate a loan etc..

Like i previously stated theres several other possibilities... Dunno. Just chatting.. thinking out loud..

I know Atlas is a fantasy pyrate game, but pyrates rarely parted with money for ships, occasionally they would exchange unneeded sloops for supplies but not often. Pyrates, (and get ready for the amazing reveal) STOLE ships from merchants and navies. I'm damned sure that paying an honest buck for something is about as unwholesome and pyraty as animal crossing!  Also I had a member in my company who would wreck his own ships and then use mine and just abandon them somewhere on the map, and he never shared anything of his own either. I booted him in the end, most unpleasant business. But you can put the settings to personal ownership if you need to. So I don't see how paying to build my own ships is gonna prevent company members wrecking them.

Actually some pirates were also business men. Or appointed by them.... Privateers. They didn't all steal boats..

It went like this. A country, lets say "France" or "England", wanted to undermine "Spains" grip on South American gold. Well, rather than launch a full out, expensive and UNPOPULAR war they'd offer a Privateering License (don't recall the actual name) to capable people. Those people either owned a ship or obtained investors.. and... bought ... one ...

The licensed individual then hired a crew and proceeded to plunder and undermine "Spains" trade routes and colonies, giving the attacks some plausible deniabilty. Kind of covert warfare style. The license also required a kickback to the crown who issued the license and profits to investors. There was an added benefit... When lets say again "Spain" retaliated by sinking or stealing "English/ French" sugar shipments the "victims" screamed a biased cry of bloody murder in the press (when convenient)... Eventually diplomats get involved and war is declared or avoided. When the war was avoided, the license was amended or revoked. Thats when the pirates most people think of began commandeering (stealing/ mutiny/ enslaving) etc. Since they were either out of work, uninterested in traditional seafaring, drunk w power or just didn't want to stop...

I am not an expert, furthermore "theft" precedes licenses by many millions of years, but Pirate and Privateer are semi interchangele terms that encompass a huge scope of scenarios.. Also seafaring/ piracy/ mutiny etc is subject matter that fills many pages of MANY books..

Final note, I'm still claiming devils advocate status dammit 😜, but i must concede that generally speaking unnecessary grinding = boring/bad

4 hours ago, Ranger1k said:

Final note, I'm still claiming devils advocate status dammit 😜, but i must concede that generally speaking unnecessary grinding = boring/bad

Let me refine and simplify my previous devils advocate speculations into a single, logical point. Charging gold for ship building may provide the companies leadership leverage to help influence less committed members actions.

Welllll...for those who aren't a fan of the gold cost, I just made a mod that removes the gold requirement. Take a look at the workshop. Called "No Gold Shipyards"

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ranger1k said:

Let me refine and simplify my previous devils advocate speculations into a single, logical point. Charging gold for ship building may provide the companies leadership leverage to help influence less committed members actions.

and how would that provide more leverage ?  and if it does then there should be an option in the company settings to charge a rental fee for the 'lesser motivated" and not for the entire company.

no offense here but to me it seems as if you're trying to polish Grapeshit's, oops, Grapeshot's turd.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Mr Ranger1 I think you need to read a book by daniel defoe on Pyrates. A lot of Pyrates were ex naval captains and/or sailors and ex slaves who did not like how they were treated, or gave in to the temptaion of stealing, sometimes just for food. Blackbeard himself was an ex naval captain. A privateer ie drake raleigh etc, was licensed to engage in warfare with an enemy by commission. Although sometimes they also plundered enemy ships outside of commission. Most privateers even though they did steal from ships, did not consider themselves to be pyrates due to the fact that they only plundered enemies to their country. Most pyrates however would plunder any ship, because they considered everyone an enemy.

6 hours ago, Ucan_Kizmiaz said:

no offense here but to me it seems as if you're trying to polish Grapeshit's, oops, Grapeshot's turd.

If thats the impression I'm giving you I believe now would be a good time to discontinue acting as devils advocate.

Good luck

I think he only wrote one about pyrates, sometimes under the name of captain charles johnson. You have to be committed to reading though for it, it is very fact heavy, my version is called, ' A general history of the robberies and murders of the most notorious pyrates' catchy title eh? first published 1724 I think. Happy reading.

• Like 1

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you need a ship to get gold, and gold to get a ship now?

2 minutes ago, Pattus said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you need a ship to get gold, and gold to get a ship now?

yes and no. rafts and sloops still can be build without the need of gold coins. If you want anything better than that you have to farm gold either by digging, picking up flotsam or dive for gold. gold in flotsam is tedious and digging simply is a task for a lifetime. remains diving. a diving attachment on a sloop ws possible 9 month ago and i haven't checked on it yet. needless to say that getting around the ocean on a sloop is possible but not the best option. and maybe sunken rteasures got nerfed as well. at least that's what i'm expecting once i'll try the diving option.

7 minutes ago, Ucan_Kizmiaz said:

yes and no. rafts and sloops still can be build without the need of gold coins. If you want anything better than that you have to farm gold either by digging, picking up flotsam or dive for gold. gold in flotsam is tedious and digging simply is a task for a lifetime. remains diving. a diving attachment on a sloop ws possible 9 month ago and i haven't checked on it yet. needless to say that getting around the ocean on a sloop is possible but not the best option. and maybe sunken rteasures got nerfed as well. at least that's what i'm expecting once i'll try the diving option.

Yah, there is always ramshackle, but free diving for gold to build your first ship at low level, that's a lot of fun.  I guess the swimming skill tree will become more popular now.  To build a diving attachment you'd have to be, I think, level >40 or so.  Digging, that would be fun, but at least you'd get worms to train a parrot I guess, lol.

@Ucan_Kizmiaz & @PattusI did the ramshackle-sloop diving attachment ~2months ago but , if remember correctly, i had to move the steering wheel, which required a smithy to build one. Steering wheel in the center blocks the attachment so ya gotta pick a side like a car lol. Also you'll probably want grappling hooks to be as efficient as possible gold farming.

I also swapped the 2 small sails to a medium ( if i remember correctly it was NOT required for fitting the diving attachment) both to decrease labor costs and improve speed. Loom required. Keratin proved to be a pain in the ass bottleneck. This was in the cold freeport.

*edit* Woops good point about the level/skill points pattus. I was already ~40

Hope that helps w wipe planning or just in general.

Edited by Ranger1k

4 minutes ago, Ranger1k said:

[...]

yeah, i had an attachment on a sloop as well but that is some time ago. modifications to the sloop's setup are mandatory.

If you're not playing official then there's @Salty Melons's mod. the admin to our tiny server installed it and it works according to him. i haven't tested it yet as i'm busy with another Wild/Shot product.