HYPNOTIK IMAGE

Refrigerators built and placed in any climate

In my opinion, you should be able to build and place refrigerators in any climate, it’s a refrigerator. As long as it is connected to a water source it should be able to produce ice and or keep food preserved in your base. Preserving bags and preserving salt should be used on ships and only ships. It just makes sense. Why in the world would you only be able to make ice in arctic areas. The outside is colder than the inside of the refrigerators, in all reality. Just a suggestion.

I seen this said before.  I think its due to they want us to sail and trade with others on different island climates.

But the part about the only salts on the ship?  i think most use salt on the ships due to the ice is very heavy but only on ships I dont like at all.. i use salts on land and LOVE to make Salt meats as it lasts longer.. so i disagree about that part.

Pro tip

If you or a teammate enjoys farming/ cooking, make pork pies & monarch cakes. In an iced preservation bag they last like 90 days w a 5 day refill on the ice. 14 days w salt.

Then carry water.

Frees up a hotbar slot and yields a flat nutrition distribution. Also the cake and pie recipes have overlapping ingredients. Some people do pies and fish n chips. I preferred the cakes/ pies. This assumes your in the correct biomes of course.

I used ice at my base and salt on the ships due to weight as NE0 stated. Then again i was primarily a whaler so ice and potatoes weren't an issue..

Developing a second base or a trade relationship is the solution if your current biome isn't compatible for potatoes. At one point, being in a hot biome, a team member actually dug the necessary potatoes up w a shovel and i did the cooking/ farming/ brewing.

Good luck

Also i realize this doesn't make ice machines work as requested just thought I'd offer my experiences.

Sidenote when sugar was the issue I'd take a bear and grab 20k from a freeport.