Sign in to follow this  
Shepard_Fury

Adjustments for next season! Company size, World map, ships and blueprints.

The game is horrible right now, if you are not 20 people or more in your company.

Problems:
There is no way to keep your stuff safe when offline as a small group, because you can not take an island and hold it.

Lawless is a horrible place to live and you can not really hide because the servers are connected to your steam id and show it when entering a server!

Freeport is broken and your ship will decay really fast as a new player. Large company's are keeping all there valuable stuff safe there and you can not touch it.

Game balance is a nightmare right now!

Solutions:

Remake the Freeport and lawless system. Make pvp possible everywhere but add npc navy to protect people in Freeport and lawless. Add a security status to players and npc. Create npc governor settlements on lawless where you can build good relations and safe log your ship and items for a daily gold upkeep.

Freeport should be a place where you can not build and only go there to turn in starter quest. When you are lvl 9 and above you can no longer enter freeport.

[Player islands]
Player owned islands need to be limited to two island per company no matter the size. Company's need to be limited by having a tax for company size. If a company goes over 30 people the tax in gold cost for having the company needs to rise in cost exponentially. Likewise having more then two allies also needs to have an upkeep cost. (You can call it an administrative empire cost that is payed to the npc regions.)

[Sea pvp combat]
When we talk about pvp on the open sea, then there are some problems regarding server traveling and balance. Your ship should have a 5 min cool down if damaged by another player or ship that prevents server traveling. If you manage to not get hit for 5 min then you should be able to flee to another server. This will stop people from abusing the server border to escape after going in to deep of griefing.

There is also the problem of ship sinking being way to slow and losing planks is happening way to fast. This need to be adjusted so that the leaking of your planks starts way sooner but it takes a lot more to plank a ship. If you get planked you will sink really fast no matter what skills you have as a captain. If you have a leak you will not sink as fat but still fast enough that you have to repair the ship with in a few minuts or you will sink.

[Ship weight & build]
Ship balance is also a big problem in the game. (I will not talk about barrels right now, it sounds like they will be removed form the cannon soon)
Ships need to have more leeway when it comes to weight and speed. We want to be able to actually build stuff on our ships and still be able to be part of pvp.

Change structures to weight almost nothing and sort the way armored ships work by sorting the building limitations on the ship models. Make the speed curve start at 35%, where ship weight under 35% will not impact speed.

Change the sails to have the same max speed and add different advantages for the sails then speed(Acceleration should not impact max speed!). Then Either build on the current sail system or introduce a full sail rig system that you place with one click on your ship.

[Blueprints]
The blueprints are to insane right now and they are way to hard to get. The hardcore factor of the blueprint system is a big turn off for most of the people playing this game. This should in my opinion be adjusted for the new season!

You need to think of the blueprinted stuff as a slight advantage form a common ship. For instance a really sick mythical blueprint should be a max bonus of 160%, so you have a 10% rise in every blueprint type. common, fine, journeyman, masterwork, legendary and mythical. This will make the gap lass insane and a common ship will still be able to be part of the fight. You will also not run in to players hips that just are impossible to beat.

[Why am i writing all this]

I am trying to help the game be more open to new people and make it a more fun experience for everyone. This should send the game in a better direction and make it a more fun experience.

I was one of the people who suggested the combat time for player owned island in season 1. If you look at my old post you might be able to find it. This change helped the game gain a lot more favor form people who game and also have work in real life(A lot of your costumers are in that segment and will also be on release day!)

This system for player owned islands gave you a way of stabilizing the player owned world and has given us a lot of good security but still having a healthy amount of pvp. Now this could still be adjusted and improved but that is for another post.

However, once again i am imploring you to read the suggestions and understand that this is not only my opinion but the wast opinion of you casual community. We are a large group of people who want to play the game but we can not play it at the moment because of how broken and unbalanced the mechanics are.

Best Regard
Jack Shepard

Edited by Shepard_Fury
  • Like 2

your Problems:
If you are too small to hold an island, maybe you should not try... maybe you should get under the wing of a bigger island owning company...?
Or maybe you take an island and get other companies to live there and get invested in protecting it...? works just fine...

your Solutions:
Remove Lawless (finally!) so that all the people that cry about not owning an island and ganking each other in Lawless all the time - and come back here crying - stop being their own worst enemy... also opens up ~100% more islands to claim.

And please do understand removing the Freeport protection would kill the game right now, as the barrel-stupidity allows for no ships outside Freeport - no Pirate ships, no Pirate sailing game (over). If the game would allow for meaningful protection (as was somewhat possible before the newbs activated the barrels again) there would be no need for Freeport protection (other than against the KOS-Bob-killers from Lawless).

your [Player islands]:
Please do understand (after 4 seasons) that $4,99 = one Bob = one Company = 1+ islands.
Limit in islands, company members and alliance members does NOT WORK ever and only heart the small guys that cannot get big enough by association...

your [Sea pvp combat] and [Ship weight & build]:
As you might have not realized yet, the devs are working on a new ship system.
The current ships are going away and get replaced by something less structure intensive but easier to add more ship types (as the new guys have no idea how to make new ships under the current system).
There is a reason that there is a structure limit on ships, and it is not the weight/speed problem, but lag from loading in all this stuff again and again (saw that video of the huge ship battle / slide show?)

your [Blueprints]:
Yeah that system is as broken as the character system... too much pro no-life Zerg farming, requiring no-skills, just farm time and manpower...

[Why am i writing all this]:
Island protection should be something of a "capture the flag (island citadel)" type of thing, where the citadel has to be taken before the island becomes unprotected.
Therefore we save alot of (in the end) useless structures. Unfortunately the current (even before the barrels) meta does not allow for such localized PVP because NPC defenses are useless on their own...

• Haha 1

Yes, barrels are defiantly OP right now and should not be able to fire out of a cannon.

[World map]
My suggestion is to make changes to the system, so that it would allow you to safe log your ship to a lobby for a gold per day fee. This could be done by having some lawless islands controlled by NPC governors where you for a fee can safe log your ship and cargo to a lobby. Then making it so Freeport is a new player only server, so when you leave Freeport you can not go back. Those areas would be patrolled by NPC Navy that enforces the security ratings of the area.

[Ship builds]
I am really happy to hear that they plan to change how the ship building is done. In that case i do still think that my ideas should be taken in to consideration in the new system. It is not a bad idea to have sail rigging, so you have more streamlined sail options to chose form.
   When we are talking structure limits on ships but i did not really talk about this directly. I was talking about the placement limit, how fare out form the ship you can build and that will need to be cleaned up. I do agree that there will also needs to be a max structure limit on the ships.

[Player Islands]
I did not suggest using real world $ for allowing you to own islands or having a company. I have no idea where you got that form, that is a crazy idea tho haha 🤣
   I suggested penalizing a company for getting to big and having to many allies. This is also just one way of doing it but you could just slam the company and allies with a hard limit but i would prefer a soft limit. I don't agree that it hurts the small company's, on the contrary. If done right it will help the whole community in my opinion.

[Island defense]
Yeah, i did on purpose not touch on this issue because i have a lot of other post on this particular issue on the forums.
However, in short i agree on having a predetermined fortifications that need to fall before the island can be taken would be better.
   I wanted a system that when you take the island it gives you a settlement that is prebuilt and has a predetermined location on the island for the flag. You could then upgrade the structures by paying gold for it and build the defenses. I also suggested larger building pieces for harbor construction and so on.

The larges problem with the game right now is that you don't have a safe place to put your stuff when you don't have a large company. You do not want to have to star over every day to then just get zerg'ed down by a large company or offline raided again the next day.

Edited by Shepard_Fury

[World map]
Well the problem with limiting Freeport to low-level is, that everyone has to leave in like the first hour. The goal is to get higher level quick to get the build skills you need.
At that point we only need ONE Freeport as a start-server. The use of Freeport would be non at all, just for Level-8s to not get smashed while doing their Ramshackle Sloop...
What about buying NPCs? What with the trader - just travelling traders?

My guess is they have to decide what they want for the gameplay.

Shall it be full loot pvp than get rid of the Freeport save zone. They would have to (FINALLY!) rework defenses to actually work while offline (or put in some kind of condition based protection, like the Island Fort idea).

Shall it be the LastOasis approach where you log off your ship, than make it a structure-limited (ships are logged out = not rendered) save zone. That would also promote ship PVP as in you still have a ship when you come online to PVP with...
It would mean we have to "accept" you cannot wipe anyone fully (which is what we use the Freeports currently anyway already)...
It would need to be limited to something like no crafting in Freeports, so you have to get into PVP area to build and rework ships...
The Freeport could also double as a server market so all offers can be found in one place.

It could be an option to make a special Port structure that you can build on your island which allows you to log out/in ships. There could be a timer on it so you cannot save log instantly and you cannot pull out ships instantly ready to go - give it like 15mins maybe. There has to be some form of invincibility so the Port cannot be destroyed and all ships with it.

It could also double as a player spawn point (we accept renters!) and a market. Could be also a connection point for the planned NPC merchant ship routes.

[Player Islands]
It just says that one character can have one company therefore "company" can have as many islands as they have characters = accounts payed. Alt-accounts it not something impossible in Atlas and in use already. So a company island limit does not work as a hard limit, same with any company member limits or alliance limits.
So please do not go down that rabbit hole of "limits, Limits, LIMITS!!!" does not work and only hurts players that stay true to the idea of such limits and keep small and easy to kill off.