ATLAS

State of the Game and Ask a Pirate Day - Q&A with the Devs #3

On 8/26/2020 at 5:56 PM, Chismebeard said:

Sorry all.  I'm usually only logged into the ATLAS account, and not my personal account.  

I also don't usually chime in because there is nothing for me to say.  It doesn't seem the Q&A questions are satisfactory, so we may discontinue them for now, and only post when there is a definite timeline for things.

Satisfactory? As in, we don't tell you what you want to hear? Or it's just easier if you don't look, like as in, putting blinders on..........................................

• Like 1

10 hours ago, SusanT said:

Did someone talk of wipes? That would def do it for me, as it is I only get on a play a little bit depending on how bad the lag is or how badly battleye keeps me out.

There is absolutely no reason to wipe if their is a decay timer, that makes no sense at ll.

There is definitely a wipe coming i just hope its later rather than sooner. It is still early access and wipes right now mean more map features. I dont want it either but it is inevitable. 

Here's my Ask A Pirate question: When are you going to focus on server performance issues, rather than add "new and exciting things"? We currently do not need new things added to the game. We need what we already have to be fixed first, including the ridiculous lag.  Fix the game, then add new stuff. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Reeking cannonbait said:

There is definitely a wipe coming i just hope its later rather than sooner. It is still early access and wipes right now mean more map features. I dont want it either but it is inevitable. 

Ok so I wonder when promises actually start meaning a freaking thing. Did you read it here on the forum or is it because it is early access that you say this? The answer determines if I uninstall this puppy for a few years.

12 hours ago, SusanT said:

Ok so I wonder when promises actually start meaning a freaking thing. Did you read it here on the forum or is it because it is early access that you say this? The answer determines if I uninstall this puppy for a few years.

What promises it’s early access I think to many forget that concept, you knew it when you downloaded it that’s it’s early access which means anything you do now won’t exist at official release. Anything can change at anytime at any point. That’s the purpose of a early access game, it’s testing.

Edited by Reeking cannonbait
  • Like 1

On 8/26/2020 at 5:40 AM, ATLAS said:

Question: Are you considering more PvE ocean jobs like strictly whaling, lobstering, shrimping or fishing for rare aquatic stuff? 

Answer: Yes! You get it! We really want to put way more things for players to do on the ocean and that is one line of our two prong strategy. We are halftime working on cleaning up the code, which means removing bugs and readdressing broken systems, and the other half of the time we are focused on more ocean-centric features. 

I'm looking forward to some of these PvE ocean jobs. It would be awesome having a crab boat, setting strings with the 30 pots I've made and my team mate using a grappling hook to get the pots. As long as the ocean jobs are rewarding and you can make out a decent living catching crab, shrimp or even some long lining this would add to the experience in game.

There's a long way to go before this becomes a reality though as you guys (the dev team) need to focus on fixing what is already implemented but I like the ideas that are being considered.

And the storms that spawn cyclones are way to often cut back on the spawn rate that way people can spend more time on the sea.

17 hours ago, Blkoutnopi said:

Single player needs fixed as the game is done loading in it dashboards.can't get more then 5 seconds of play time.

My single player crashes every time I exit the session. Made a ticket about it including the crash report, but bc it has nothing to do with what they're currently "focusing"  on, I doubt the ticket will ever be read. I'm almost certain that it even says (just before making the ticket) that the  "team" is currently focused on X,Y,Z aspects of the game, and tickets not dealing in those areas might not get read. I personally hope I didn't actually see that part.

-- EDIT -- Thankfully I don't see that messsage about what types of tickets will be read, and what won't.

Edited by UnderTaker905

Ask a Pirate Question: When will more elaborate PVE content make its way into the game? Right now FOY/PS are a joke, and a no brainer Kraken fight and Ghost ship fight. Only thing that is remotely challenging is the Yeti. What is being done to appease the PVE side of Atlas?

Here is my question: why was my character deleted off the one and only pve Xbox server after buying day one?

when I bought ark Xbox day one, while in early access and after, I never lost my character? (Until legacy servers were made)

14 hours ago, LemdogE said:

Here is my question: why was my character deleted off the one and only pve Xbox server after buying day one?

when I bought ark Xbox day one, while in early access and after, I never lost my character? (Until legacy servers were made)

If there are major changes to the game and/or servers, a while can be necessary.  In the case of the most recent one, they re-orged the servers, grids, islands, and such.

On 8/25/2020 at 12:40 PM, ATLAS said:

QandA_AskAPirate_1920x1080-min (1).jpg

Ahoy Pathfinders.

Right now, the crew is working diligently on Ship of the Damned issues where they are not moving as they should. We will also be addressing the ship skeletons that are not despawning, amongst other issues as well.

:anchor: Shifting the Meta :anchor:

Since season 1, many hours have gone into creating PVP centric mechanics in ATLAS. Seasons 2 and 3 saw many changes that restricted the use of these mechanics. We’re interested in highlighting these unique mechanics, and are looking at different ways to bring them back into the mix and balance them further. As the current state of the game develops, so will the meta.

Starting with the next patch, we’ll be unveiling a quick survey on the latest changes that all players can take, so that we can get a better understanding of the community’s sentiments.

We also have more Q&A from the crew below:

:anchor: Ask a Pirate! :anchor:

Question: When will we get a feature complete small group map where all the content is included? If I missed it, don't hesitate to point me in the right direction. Blackwood is broken/doesn't have all resources. We had a 4x4 private server and our group tried Blackwood when it launched, but the resources are reversed, and there are only a few types of rare metals/woods etc.

Answer: There's no clear roadmap for that right now. We are putting everything behind cleaning up the main game and adding new features to it. 

UXqZLd4C3b-NO-IcNUfki7sLpLz97_L8ko4iOjWo

Question: When ATLAS first released, it was mentioned that humans would be able to create offspring, is that tabled forever? Reference: https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2018/12/19/atlas-pirate-mmo-developer-interview/

Answer: We totally want this, but we think it's fair to say that this is a long way off. Atlas has many bugs and systems that need to be optimized / improved. Once we get that down, we can expand into this kind of territory.

Question: Are you considering more PvE ocean jobs like strictly whaling, lobstering, shrimping or fishing for rare aquatic stuff? 

Answer: Yes! You get it! We really want to put way more things for players to do on the ocean and that is one line of our two prong strategy. We are halftime working on cleaning up the code, which means removing bugs and readdressing broken systems, and the other half of the time we are focused on more ocean-centric features. 

Question: Will there ever be more underwater ships (in addition to submarine) for a new level of combat? 

Answer: There are lots to fix and improve in the main game before we expand to this. Right now the team is focusing on getting a solid base of fun coming from the existing game with a larger number of players playing.

Question: What about the problem where we sail into a lot of SoTD after crossing another server? I sunk 2 times because of it... 1 time with a brig and 1 with a schooner. They are so often way too close to the server edge. I don't mind fighting them, but sailing into 2-4 SoTD will kill any small ship, especially without any canons. How can we react that fast? When we reach another server, they already shoot before we even see that they are attacking.

Answer: Having Ships of the Damned crossing into other servers can make this dynamic encounter more in-depth. We hear you about loading into a grid just to get attacked.  The right balance is more complicated than you might think and this team is committed to doing things the right way. 

For a chance to get your questions answered, you can submit them to us in the comments here or on Discord! 

:anchor: Featured Screenshot :anchor:

Don’t forget to submit photos on Steam and Xbox, or tag us in your screenshots on Social Media! You may just get featured in our next post.  Here is a belated International Cat Day photo from player “Glider” on Steam.
Gilder.jpg

:wheel:

Happy Sailing,

- ATLAS Crew

:skull: For the latest dispatch on #playATLAS keep yer one good eye trained on this here information :skull:

Natter n' chatter on Discord: https://discord.gg/playatlas
Hear ye, hear ye on Twitterhttps://twitter.com/sailtheatlas
Watch us scallywags on Twitch: http://twitch.tv/sailtheatlas
Plus ye can band with us Pirates on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/playatlasgame

View full article

So real questions

1# are you planning  on making a server with the last map  instead of the for bioms separated i really liked that one longer sailing is fun

2# what are you planning to do with the big companies  that constantly harrass  smaller or one man or woman companies 

3# what are your plans to deal with the bigger companies  owning like 20 islands and 2 companies. There is no room to own an island on krakens grasp and even if we did it makes i difficult  for xbox players to even enter.

4# are you making an Xbox only server.?

5# and this is an honest opinion if the boat wasn't made or bought  at the Freeport it should be sunk in less then 2 hours and tames animals should become claimable  after 20 min

This is a great game and has so much potential. I'd love to see the current stability improved as well as much more content to keep pirates engaged. However, I think the biggest improvement that can be made sooner than later is communication. The forums and twitter feed are littered with requests for answers or pleas of acknowledgement. Simple updates on what the devs are currently working on or that they at the very least hear their patriotic community would go a far way to easing players minds. If the players feel like the devs have given up then it's only a matter of time until the players give up as well. I think the devs have done a good job but could definitely strive towards doing better on their public relations aspect. Just my opinion and look forward to seeing what is in the future from this game. Here's to hope