Sign in to follow this  
Dunxel

Some Suggestions on Sails & Blueprints.

Sails right off the bat.
Since S1 or S2.. for PVP..  we discovered and pointed out to early Devs/CM that the Handle Sails Stat (Acceleration) also granted (Top Speed.)
This has made the Handle sail the most important item in the game to go after.  Many people level boats with Speed sails to run away from anything that has 120% or higher.
Devs nurfed the Acceleration cap to 125%..  anything beyond that doesn't even do anything.   Because in S2.. we saw that boats with 136% sails could out run Speed Sails.

I would like the new Devs & CM to re-review this issue & remove the (Top Speed) hidden buff from Handle sails altogether.

And add an additional stat to the Speed Sail.
The Speed Sail only  has 2 options to roll.   1.Rotation Speed & 2. Durability.
Handle Sails has. 1. Effective Angle, 2. Acceleration, 3. (hidden Top Speed), & 4. Durability.

Blue Print issues:
There needs to be a Minimum  and Maximum  Cap on all BPs stats.  for all of their options. 
Instead of a Mythical Cannon BP being able to roll 100-300% damage...  it should be something like 200-300%. 
this should go for ALL BPs..  it adds excessive annoying grinding to the game. As you have to constantly popcorn BS BPs that have some of the dumbest stats.
You should feel rewarded when you find those rare Masterwork, Legendary & Mythical BPs... not disappointed.

Instead of a Mythical Cannon BP being able to roll 100-300% damage...  it should be something like 200-300%. 

That's what I wrote here for 10 times already! I would also add that some stuff should have proper bonuses. Like better quality of all kind of storage boxes should reduce weight of stuff inside. Better food storage - decrease food decay rate. Better gathering tools - gather better. Etc.

p.s. - If devs wanna us grind so much, they could introduce perfixes for armor and tools which improve skill tree stats. Like: "boots of captain" increasing crews ship repair speed or decreasing crew cost - all we have in captaining skill tree. Same for every other skill tree. Like "boots of pirate" or "boots of beast master" or "boots of chief" etc.

Regarding the handling sails I disagree. I think they should rename the stat to make it obvious that the top speed gets increased. A stat of only acceleration would be useless on sails that get their top speed in 3 seconds… well 2,5 seconds would be great but -> no difference.

I agree that a handling sail should not be faster than a speed sail with full rear wind.(same weight) Handling sails have a Hugh effect on PvP fights and are the reason that make this fights fun and competive. Every Speed Sail ship has rear canons and run away only. You use Speed Sails on farming ships or shooners to cut sails. The handling sail meta is great and ship building and leveling knowledge gives you advantages. Weight is the factor unexpirienced players underestimate or don't know how to reduce(repair material weight). I sailed most of season 3(my first season) with brigs at 7000 weight. But I learned and get it down to less than 5000 with same fighting potential.

The blue prints are something that has to be adjusted in some points. The drop range i total agree with you that there has to be an increased minimum role for better quality. But I think the gap between common ship parts and Max myst roles is too large. Canons should be gaped at 150%(max to find role) as well as gun ports and planks. With inteligence you can get a buff to a max. like about 165-170%. Your ships would be still much better than a common but you could somehow fight back with common. Also medium BPs would get some kind of reason to be build. Nobody builds blue or purple planks right now. Also I like that currently the medium plank roles are higher compared to the large ports/planks. This makes Brigs able to fight a galleon and survive a driving failure getting in the broad side. So medium planks should have like 20% better roles than large planks.

Actually you see brigs with 9,5-10k planks and around 12k - max. 15k gun ports. Most galleons have about 20-22k planks and gun ports. So medium plank roles are not balanced with the gun ports. Also you get much more medium gun ports than you find barely any medium planks.

The sails are very rare to find in the current game and it's even more rare to find stats above 120%. I literaly did not hear about 125% handling sails found in the last month. Most sails found are masterwork or legendary. Mystical is not dropping at all.

The most annoying thing about mystical tools is the mythos costs to craft and repair them. Just hope for good legendary roles.

8 hours ago, Nacona said:

Regarding the handling sails I disagree. I think they should rename the stat to make it obvious that the top speed gets increased. A stat of only acceleration would be useless on sails that get their top speed in 3 seconds… well 2,5 seconds would be great but -> no difference.

Jat/Dollie someone in the team admitted in S2.. it was a mistake/bug and they didn't know how to fix it at the time.. so the only solution the could come up with at the time was to hard cap it at 125.  that way you could never reach that 136% (out run speed sails.)

Handles just have to many options & variations.. it makes them the end all be all.
More diversity and options for both or all sail types would make them all more useful.
Even mixing your sails is considered a no-no in a  Mega PVP mindset.  you run 100% handle or 100% speed.  but if you can get 120+% handles you run that.

Heck maybe give Speed Sails an Acceleration option could be a nice additional stat. (no top speed.).

But overall i think if each BP had a hard stop for a Minimum stat... we would see more people being able to collect half way decent items and not having to spend countless hours farming BPs..