Sign in to follow this  
Sevas

You need to cut it out with this trash wind and fog

Yea the world is smaller but we don't need wind so weak it takes longer to get places and then every 10 minutes this overly soupy fog. Let's have the original wind speeds back and maybe add something in between for the fog density.

6 hours ago, Sevas said:

Yea the world is smaller but we don't need wind so weak it takes longer to get places and then every 10 minutes this overly soupy fog. Let's have the original wind speeds back and maybe add something in between for the fog density.

When did wind got changed? I never noticed a difference.

Wind just rotates clockwise. It raise full strength blowing north and south direction. It reduces to calm blowing east and west. During the rain - it raises to beyond strong and rotates faster. After rain ends - it rotates back to where it was. And that's it about the wind. It's totally predictable and boring. And also those "calm" states are annoying. I mean... I try to figure out what purpose those calms serves. And I can't find any answer but one. Just to piss players off! : )) 

The worst thing is if you sail somewhere counter-wind, after you do your business there wind will rotates and then you'll sail back counter-wind as well.

If I would do the game I would change the wind, so:

- It blows mostly average speed and one direction.

- Each grid is different but for reasonable amount (not like you sail downwind and next grid it's counter wind).

- It rarely turns for some amount. Let's say once per ingame day. Or even once per real life day. And if so here is a way to introduce some weather forecast in game. Like you go freeport and buy one for a real life day.

- Hurricanes and calms land occasionally and within just one grid, so you out of grid, and you're fine.

---

As for fog... in PVE - it makes you just continue sailing if you go somewhere (if you encounter SOTD or even get hit couple of times - it's just no big deal). Or stop and wait go watch youtube until it's gone if you hunting SOTDs. So current fogs also serve no purpose. Just annoys you a bit, or eat you time for nothing. Oh and... I personally loves to see "coldwave" with sky settings on high. Maybe fog should looks like that?

HMyUpur.jpg

@George Catcher

So if the "trade winds" they are working on refer to the real life defination, I would expect to see something like this. However itll will most likely be something like grids 1 to 4 generally go east, 5 to 8 generally go west, 9 to 11 geneeally go east. (This is an example, actual directions may vary)

That fog every 5 min tho... my god it needs to be toned down. Varying degrees of thickness would be nice too.

• Like 1

Welcome to sailing it’s a aspect of sailing a wind powered ship. You don’t have a engine! You can tack, you can wait for a wind change, you can re order your plans and go do something else the wind favors. Welcome to sailing. Wind directions are pretty constant in real life. I know most of the year we have a wind from the se. during winter it starts to change from the north. Sometimes we will have a south wind so think maybe the developers were pretty accurate in keep winds fairly constant enough to predict. 

Edited by Reeking cannonbait

it’s a aspect of sailing a wind powered ship.

The problem now is - the weather MUST be a CORE aspect of the sailing game. And yet it was made the most simple way. And it doesn't affect AI ships. I just copy-paste my thoughts of sailing aspect:

I would change the wind so It would just blow same direction for a while (and by "while" I mean at least 24 ingame hours). Then it randomly rotates for some angle (clockwise or counter) and blow new direction for a while again. Most of the time wind is around average, provide me FULL SPEED. Occasionally it goes to strong hurricane state and this requires me to lower my sails and turn to it's direction to prevent ship and ragging damage. Occasionally it goes to calm state and all hidden flotsam appear on the water surface.

Now to the challenges. Weather should be divided in to two types. Warm in equatorial, tropic and desert areas. Cold in temperate, tundra and polar zones.

Warm weather brings: rains, thunder, storms whit tornadoes or hail, dust storms and fog.

Rain - make ship heavier, it loses some speed and maneuverability.

Thunders - slight chance that lighting strikes masts, causing ragging damage.

Storm brings deadly tornado or hail. Storm is not global, it just wide dangerous zone in the ocean, and players goal is to avoid or escape one by all cost. Sail into tornado will cause sever damage to ship or either destroy it. Hail do moderate damage to sails.

mlkDGtg.jpg

Fog lowers visibility to all ships (NPCs ones also) when it's calm.

Dust storm lowers visibility when it's strong wind.

Cold weather brings snowfall, ice rain, blizzard, white mist.

Snowfall just makes ship heavier.

Ice rain makes it even heavier, and deck became slippery.

Blizzard - is local spot to avoid because it cause moderate damage to ship and sails.

White Mist is bright sparky show fog appears during sunny day. Lower visibility.

Oh, and about visibility itself. I would cancel unlimited visibility and make so it always changes around average values. So islands would appear as we getting close to them and lighthouses actually guide us (for that I would make freeport and homeland lighthouses different color or brightness).

eLNtKeS.jpg

Beside weather, player also should deal with ocean. There are randomly generated dangers in there.

Warm zones provides migrating seaweed zones and reefs with rocks out of the water.

Seaweeds dramatically lower ship speed, and if player wont escape in time full sails along wind direction may require to escape.

g0tFj18.jpg

Rocks and reefs are deadly. Hitting one will fully take out planks HP.

Cold zones provides drifting icebergs. Hitting one is also dangerous.

Both cold and warm zones also randomly generate jet streams (make ship turns and damage planks if angle is too big) and funnels (tries to capture ship in it's center - require full sail along the wind and along rotation direction to escape).

Everything above affect all ships. Player's ship, NPC's ship, damned ships etc.

Also because there are less water around, and islands closer to each other - sailing through the center of grid will require some maneuvers between island (something like that now in Polar and it's fun to sail through).

And tasty one. Each danger that player face, and each activity player actually do in the ocean, gives special reward points to the ship. If player pass seaweed zone - he gets "seaweed point". If he avoid iceberg - he get "iceberg point" there. If he gather flotsam - he get "flotsam points" etc. After gathering enough points player can choice special tittle for the ship. After gathering more points, player get special skill for the ship. After gathering points for the third time - special figure head for ship became available to craft.

For example if I avoid a lot of seaweed zones, I can add to my ship name a tittle: "Unstoppable". If I continue to pass seaweed zones I'll open a skill for ship that lower my speed penalty in seaweed zones by half. After I pass many more seaweed zones - I'll get... let's say "mermaid" figure head blueprint for my ship. Getting there should take a while, to make all those achievements valuable.

Figure head might also have some bonus stats. For balance stuff player should be able to choice just one danger bonuses and either be able to change em in repair dock or be unable to change them at all : ))

F51Zijz.jpg

Maybe survive inside the most deadliest situation (like actual tornado) - give player some really unique and valuable reward.

In PVP ships with those skills might suddenly get an advantage if battle occur near dangers.

And yeah. Some nice addition would be, if next weather would be predictable.

- Scarlet red sunset-sunrise - before windy weather.

- st. Elmo's flares - before thunderstorm etc.

• Like 2