SnprKiller94

What will become of Taming in Atlas’s future?

Will taming be removed from the game in the future? I am reading alot of notes from the developers that they are planning to overhaul the game and get away from the “fantasy” aspect. Does this mean they will be removing taming or significantly cutting current portions of it from the game? I hear they want to make the game more realistic, but I didn’t buy this game to play sea of thieves. I have no interest in PVP pirate sea of thieves simulator. Do the devs not realize that PVE is the majority consumer base in this game? If this does occur I will most likely leave this game and Im sure Im not the only one. 

Edit: This my main concern when it comes to the future of the game. The developers (as far as I know) have not elaborated or answered this question

Edited by SnprKiller94
Add information
  • Like 1

I didn’t buy this game to play sea of thieves. I have no interest in PVP pirate sea of thieves simulator. Do the devs not realize that PVE is the majority consumer base in this game?

I really hate to be the one to tell you this.  But, if you don't want a pirate simulator you don't want Atlas. With the exception of the living dead, immortality, and instant domestication; Atlas is a fairly realistic game regarding the age of sail. Everything a player does is to support their colony/empire or to support a personal plantation. If your goal as a singular pirate is to own a farm and livestock; that's as realistic as it can get.

Tames and riding are not going to be removed entirely. They just wont be the sole focus of the game or reason to complete content as they have been in previous seasons.

While this does cause some disruptions economy side on PvE; it doesn't stop you from doing things just do to them..... simply because they are fun.

• Like 1

Sorry Peg but Atlas is not a realistic pyrate game at all, torpedos, submarines, pyrates vs pyrates, pyrates building or eventually buying their ships, kraken, dragon, hydra etc. Although to be honest I actually do like the myth side of Atlas cos it reminds me of pyrates of the caribbean. Personally I hope skull and bones is still on the horizon. because it does look pretty darn realistic. I think the charm and appeal for me of Atlas is the fact it's not just a straightforward pyrate battle game and it does include some sailor myth and legend. As for Atlas pve, I think I can safely say that the devs will be phasing it out. Cos there will eventually be very little to do.

1 hour ago, Whitehawk said:

Sorry Peg but Atlas is not a realistic pyrate game at all, torpedos, submarines, pyrates vs pyrates, pyrates building or eventually buying their ships, kraken, dragon, hydra etc. Although to be honest I actually do like the myth side of Atlas cos it reminds me of pyrates of the caribbean. Personally I hope skull and bones is still on the horizon. because it does look pretty darn realistic. I think the charm and appeal for me of Atlas is the fact it's not just a straightforward pyrate battle game and it does include some sailor myth and legend. As for Atlas pve, I think I can safely say that the devs will be phasing it out. Cos there will eventually be very little to do.

I was excited for Skull & Bones when it was first mentioned until I saw videos and read that it is a small co op game with small map, I was under the impression it was an open world game with many players but it didn't look that way to me which was disappointing.

It will still be more of a pirate game that Atlas is I just wouldn't get your hopes up over this game if I was you. If only someone could come up with a real open world pirate game, done right it could be very successful but Atlas won't be long term. 

I really hate to be the one to tell you this.  But, if you don't want a pirate simulator you don't want Atlas.

Soon they tell you they paid money for game and free to play as they want to.

4 hours ago, Whitehawk said:

Sorry Peg but Atlas is not a realistic pyrate game at all, torpedos, submarines, pyrates vs pyrates, pyrates building or eventually buying their ships, kraken, dragon, hydra etc. Although to be honest I actually do like the myth side of Atlas cos it reminds me of pyrates of the caribbean.

The devs said they are dialing back fantasy stuff.

Yeh I know, along with pve, BIG MISTAKE. But its not my project it's theirs. If they want to take all the content out of the game and just leave ship battles(YAWN) It's their problemo not mine. If I just want ship battles with prefab boats I'll play naval action, and hopefully skull and bones eventually. I like survival  mmo's too and there are plenty around. Atlas is just a small fish in a big sea.

• Like 1

On 8/10/2020 at 2:46 PM, PeglegTheAngry said:

I really hate to be the one to tell you this.  But, if you don't want a pirate simulator you don't want Atlas. With the exception of the living dead, immortality, and instant domestication; Atlas is a fairly realistic game regarding the age of sail. Everything a player does is to support their colony/empire or to support a personal plantation. If your goal as a singular pirate is to own a farm and livestock; that's as realistic as it can get.

Tames and riding are not going to be removed entirely. They just wont be the sole focus of the game or reason to complete content as they have been in previous seasons.

While this does cause some disruptions economy side on PvE; it doesn't stop you from doing things just do to them..... simply because they are fun.

My main problem is that they are going to ruin pve and transition to solely pvp. Taming is the primary purpose for playing pve. I don’t enjoy pvp. I love realistic pirate ships, sailing mechanics, etc: this is not an issue I have with the game. I don’t understand why Grapeshot can’t support both pve and pvp instead of trashing the pve community.

I know my reply is late. Thought the forum would email me when replies came in, but it never did.

On 8/10/2020 at 8:19 PM, Whitehawk said:

Yeh I know, along with pve, BIG MISTAKE. But its not my project it's theirs. If they want to take all the content out of the game and just leave ship battles(YAWN) It's their problemo not mine. If I just want ship battles with prefab boats I'll play naval action, and hopefully skull and bones eventually. I like survival  mmo's too and there are plenty around. Atlas is just a small fish in a big sea.

I agree with you 120%. I also have less the zero interest in pvp ship battles. I love the game in its current form, infact I would say I like it more than ark. But with the changes they plan to make it is going to ruin the game for me. Honestly a massive shame. If they didn’t want the game to be fantasy based they shouldn’t have put dragons, hydras, etc in in the first place. Its too late to change the theme now. People already purchased the game in hopes of experiencing what the Atlas trailer showed. They should have decided the damn theme of the game at stage 1 of developement, not a damn year after release. Really grinds my gears. I love the games wildcard makes, but my god do they make some god awful decisions.

30 minutes ago, SnprKiller94 said:

I know my reply is late. Thought the forum would email me when replies came in, but it never did.

You may want to click on Follow (upper right) and see what setting you have for this thread just to make sure.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jerryn said:

You may want to click on Follow (upper right) and see what setting you have for this thread just to make sure.

I figured it out. Thanks for the help. I was following, but I had to change a setting so it sends emails.

I constantly hear people defending ideas but forget this team implemented torpedos and submarines,so how does the team adhere to the Pirate theme?So we need to quit creating excuses.

FACT:They have been complaining about server strain from breeding in Ark.They have been trying to work around it in Ark but with less employees and less care for Atlas,don't be surprised to just see them remove stuff.

I want to QUIT seeing nerf after nerf ,i want to see the game grow and NOT with automation like farmhouses and warehouses.So again if this was adhering to a true PIRATE game,would they have warehouses,farm houses?NO so yeah quit making excuses for them.

• Like 2

I don’t mind if they remove taming as this season I’ve only tamed a sheep and a cow and the next and last thing I will take is a cat. I bought my bears. Ones a hauler for getting the stuff from land to my base and ones for doing treasured maps. 

I play this game like it’s a marathon and not a 100m sprint. Taming is a huge time sink and is glitchy as hell. Breeding totally messes up people’s sleep patterns so I refuse to do it. Getting the gold is less frustrating and again I can refuse to do maps based on their location. If ramps or any building is required then the maps gets tossed out so sea. 

playing without tames is doable. Things just take a little longer. Doesn’t matter the company size as more people means more people who want boats so the resource required is the same. I play with a friend in PVE now. Left PvP a few days ago. In that time we’ve built a gally and a brig. Got a sloop and a raft. Started with a 4x4 and I extended that to an 4x8 and will be putting the garden and grill on the roof. We have 5 bears. We got a deal on the first lot. But 2 get one free and 2 battle bears. And we are sorted. Took us three days to accomplish all that. We’ve accumulated 6k in gold and are starting to get some nice blueprints. And we’ve got 20 odd discoveries. I’ve accomplished more without takes than I do with them. Like I said tames are a time sink and take you away from actually playing the game. IMO. I have no interest in taming and it’s not actually required.