Sign in to follow this  

Since this game will be wiped freshly each 4 to 6 months and we are NOT getting to keep our toons (no matter what the current team says, mark my words), I wonder if it is possible for players to connect their own server to one another.

So, I got a server (player A) on my pc and you (player B) has 1 on his own pc. Can they be connected like servers on official to sail thru, get mats, do maps and so on?

Just wondering if it can be done. 

Would be cool to have an island, wich other players can visit. Dunno for sure, but I think it's what NMS has allready. Where players can visit eachother.

Single player already exists, and you can also do leashed multiplayer (meaning you cannot independently wander causing multiple servers to open).   But distributed server like that not easily - it is possible to do there have been some servers that have some EU grids and some NA grids.    What you want though is basically an unleashed multiplayer where each player gets their own grid server regardless of which grid.   There was a Atlas Server Control program intent on doing that very thing (not Atlas Server Controller) but work on that stopped (AFAIK) when single/multiplayer came out as that met most peoples needs.    The issue in doing that is managing the server expectations when you get too many people on and your server cannot manage the grid load, so even they had talked about forcing a server limit just like leashed multiplayer.

But making your own servers and custom maps does not prevent grapenutz from wiping you.   They could expend the extra effort to make sure your custom map does not need to wipe, but they do not.   Every season you need to wipe, especially moreso now that they stopped calling them megapatches and are calling them seasons so there is no question that a wipe is coming.

But what you want is not at all possible, and that is for each grid to be an arbitrary custom map.   The game server works by having a master map so what happens if you swap the grids to a different map you see that the master map is out of sync and it is impossible to navigate and respawn.   Happens when you do not wipe the game after changing islands around.  Someone would have to figure out how to mod the game so the master map can be dynamic.

NMS is the same MMO architecture, there is one master map.  There is a limit to how many people can be in the same place at the same time.  The scope is the galaxy so it may have the appearance that people are isolated and rarely visit, but it is not a peer to peer network where you can make arbitrary connections to other custom solar systems.

Wurm Online was an MMO that worked kinda like what you want  - the master map configured the sailing connections to other servers but you could not arbitrarily port to anyone elses maps as a user.  They in theory could be peer to peer clustered servers, but not arbitrary peer to peer user connections.  Though look at Wurm Unlimited maybe someone modded it to do that.    Just beware of that game if you think making a ship in Atlas takes forever - in that game the ship parts go down to the individual peg level.  And you need a master carpenter to make the pegs, using master blacksmiths tools.

Edited by krazmuze