Sign in to follow this  
ATLAS

Captain’s Log #40: Warehouse Teaser and Endgame Discussion

Unfortunately, we can't read anything here what you want to do about the really badly running servers.
Now a new building is coming again, which is reducing the performance of the servers. The playability in the LawLess areas is equal to 0.
I think you should get the game up and running again first, otherwise your new ideas will be in vain because no one will spend money on a game that is laggy and the players will be punished with high ping.

Altas went really well up to the last wipe, the map was nicely done and realistic.
Why do I find arctic raspberries in the desert now ???
The search for the numerous discoveries was really fun.
Now the number of Discovery has been castrated so that the stimulus is gone, just so that the impatient can reach the final level. These people should better play GameBoy.

I hope for all of us that you get it back on track, otherwise I think Atlas will be dead before it is officially released

• Like 3

If they go to the rust model, they lose one of the best features of Ark and Atlas. Asset buy in... When you spend time building, taming, breeding, and farming bps you become attached to what you have... You want to keep it and defend it. 

In rust nothing matters you can get to 'endgame' in days. You can get 'endgame items' in days. Some servers wipe weekly because its doable. There's no real drive to own anything in the game because it can all be remade in hours/days. 

In Ark/atlas bases take weeks to build, breed lines take weeks/months to perfect. Leveling ships/tames, takes time and energy. Farming exo and regular resources takes time. All of this leads to an attachment for what you have, a desire to maintain it and defend it.

Regular wipes leads to the mentality of 'ah shit we didn't get a good start this wipe, let's just take a break and start next wipe.' 

Some people love the idea obviously but other like myself consider it a deal breaker and I would not continue playing if they went to a regular wipe model. 

• Like 5

Imo rust isn't a game as much as a griefing simulator. People spend hours plotting ways of upsetting other players, I hope I never get that bored with life. But as for regular wipes it looks like it's a done deal. Imo only an ahole needs regular wipes. (pun intended)

regular wipes in pvp is not a bad idea. but on the pve side most people play it so they dont lose all their stuff and progress. they stopped playing pvp for a reason and switched to pve. if pve starts to give the same results as pvp i think people may switch to a new game since they are all out of modes to try to enjoy atlas with

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DangerRocket said:

Unfortunately, we can't read anything here what you want to do about the really badly running servers.
Now a new building is coming again, which is reducing the performance of the servers. The playability in the LawLess areas is equal to 0.
I think you should get the game up and running again first, otherwise your new ideas will be in vain because no one will spend money on a game that is laggy and the players will be punished with high ping.

Altas went really well up to the last wipe, the map was nicely done and realistic.
Why do I find arctic raspberries in the desert now ???
The search for the numerous discoveries was really fun.
Now the number of Discovery has been castrated so that the stimulus is gone, just so that the impatient can reach the final level. These people should better play GameBoy.

I hope for all of us that you get it back on track, otherwise I think Atlas will be dead before it is officially released

The map change being somewhat awkward is something I agree with. I liked the more realistic kind of map as well.
At least keeping the whole round planet kind of atmosphere with realistic climates and related resources would have been preferable.
Explorable biomes keep things interesting.

I feel like they ARE working to improve performance though, there have been multiple hints to that. It just takes a while to clean up the mess the other dev teams before them have made. This is the first group actively working on fixing the game properly. Give them a chance 🙂

• Like 2

1 hour ago, drunkinfoo said:

regular wipes in pvp is not a bad idea. but on the pve side most people play it so they dont lose all their stuff and progress. they stopped playing pvp for a reason and switched to pve. if pve starts to give the same results as pvp i think people may switch to a new game since they are all out of modes to try to enjoy atlas with

They don't need regular wipes to make pvp fun, they just need shifting objectives and to add stuff that keeps targets moving. So that it isn't static

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Whitehawk said:

Imo rust isn't a game as much as a griefing simulator. People spend hours plotting ways of upsetting other players, I hope I never get that bored with life. But as for regular wipes it looks like it's a done deal. Imo only an ahole needs regular wipes. (pun intended)

That exactly how I feel. The only people that want constant wipes are the people who like griefing but cannot keep up with the bigger companies so they only have fun at the start of the 'season' and don't want to keep playing when people are established. 

14 hours ago, bobbehyyc said:

It blows my mind that there are people that think seasons will help the game long term. It definitely increases short term fun but it burns people out when they build and breed and then lose it all. 

This isn't rust, things are not as replaceable or as temporary. I truly hope thst come release they stick with the original plan and don't wipe again. 

Wich is never EVER gonna happen. This entire game is based on ARK. So, with that game came ARKlogic. A phrase you will love and hate at the same time eventually. 

You will see alot of seasons of this game. You will loose alot and you will never understand why.

ARKlogic.

1 hour ago, Cpt.Yarrr said:

Wich is never EVER gonna happen. This entire game is based on ARK. So, with that game came ARKlogic. A phrase you will love and hate at the same time eventually. 

You will see alot of seasons of this game. You will loose alot and you will never understand why.

ARKlogic.

Not exactly sure what you're saying. I played official pvp for 10k hours. Being wiped by other players is not at all the same thing as dev wipes every x days. 

By your logic they won't go for a seasonal model because the game is based on Ark and. Ark only had 2 major wipes. 1 withing the first few months of ea due to duping and one at release... How do I know? I was playing for both. Played straight from ea release to full game release. 

Seasons (IE the idea of constant server resets) will be fun for a few months then the fame will die. Or they can do their best to emulate the Ark model and the fame will survive for years.. It may have its up's and downs but it will survive. 

5 hours ago, bobbehyyc said:

Not exactly sure what you're saying. I played official pvp for 10k hours. Being wiped by other players is not at all the same thing as dev wipes every x days. 

By your logic they won't go for a seasonal model because the game is based on Ark and. Ark only had 2 major wipes. 1 withing the first few months of ea due to duping and one at release... How do I know? I was playing for both. Played straight from ea release to full game release. 

Seasons (IE the idea of constant server resets) will be fun for a few months then the fame will die. Or they can do their best to emulate the Ark model and the fame will survive for years.. It may have its up's and downs but it will survive. 

Sorry I forgot, I'm pure PvE.

With ARKlogic I meant this company/or that company (just how you put it) has no logical follow ups ingame.

Example; buildbug. Since the first day (or later called season 1) it is here. 3 Wipes later, still here. In the meantime we get, let's say, farmhouses. Why is this not fixed up till now?

Another example; "Demolition allowed" 9 out of 10 times it is not working. But taking down XP from Kraken/Yeti EVEN IF YOU HAVEN'T DONE one is taken off. Perhaps it should be 1 time only for each player?

Ok, just one more example then; Taming elephants and giraffes. Really, do they have to jump this high when bolad/knocked out/trapped? Or better yet, we build farmhouses now so we do not need those tames. Instead, we're going to get warehouses. Wich, after everyone has placed tons of those, probably not gonna fit. 

I can give you literally about 40 of these. This is what I mean with ARKlogic, don't fix bugs but create them. Don't fix lag, but double up on them.

Me and loads of other "old" founding players (again PvE) of this game, have these thoughts since the first wipe was anounced. And here comes another example; There was not a single word of wipes up to that moment. 10 Minutes after the anouncement the playerbase dropped over 70%. There was never EVER a moment those 40K players expected a wipe. Now it's like; "Oh they gonna wipe anyway, why should I even bother buying." And this is next to the fact GS keeps on saying they will fix bugs "next season" wich is now a total disbelieve.

And yet they promis a new map. With no changes, just shrinkage. NA and EU together, whoever came up with that idea should be keelhauled. The servers/grids should be doubled at least, if not tripled. Not all resources are there, treasures are still at ridiculous places (players can even build on them, however ARK has the lootdrop locations made unbuildable) 

More sailing? Yet 1 storm with cyclones can easily destroy planks of a common brig and let it sink. As a pirate who's steering at that time you better pray on your nekked knees there will not be 1 (or better yet 2 or 3) SOTD squads turning up POOF 10 feet in front of your ship and byebye boat. More damage, so dock boat and repair. Iow, no more sailing. Make storms heavy on the wind, make them longer but certainly not as destructive as is now.

We do not care about the wipes, we care about the same old bugs wich keep on getting back. They suck.

Fix.

The.

Game.

Or does every new devteam needs to make a prestigeproject first?

Edited by Cpt.Yarrr
  • Thanks 1

Well I'm sorry to hear there will be more wipes. I spent too much time building my harbor and base up to really want to do it again just to do another season. As a smaller company I have to grind my way to better bps and high tier items. So I'll be put far behind the megas once again. They have mythical within three days and max levels. This is fine but once I have worked my way to a higher level to at least put up a fight I'm not interested in a reboot. 

For PVP, farms & warehouses make sense, as does buying ships for gold, as they want people out fighting at sea and not on land having to gather resources to make their ships.

Heck, even semi-regular wipes makes some kind of sense in that context.

However, in PVE, these make no sense. Given the lack of things to do in PVE apart from the boss fights, most people enjoyed exploring, building, taming and trading. The farms & warehouse make the gathering or resources trivial, and totally wipes out resource trading. If there are semi-regular wipes, those that like to build or tame/breed won't want to do it as there is little point investing all that time.

• Like 1

Could see an easier set up with the Farmhouse concept using existing components:

- Limit Farmhouses 1/Island (like Crew Silo) to prevent spamming by players;

- reduce the proximity of other Farmhouses limitation to the size of its area of effect gather zone (blue circle);

- allow NPC’s to be assigned to Farmhouse. In the way that a NPC Crew is able to draw resources out of a ship’s Resource Box to Repair a ship, seems that most of the code is already there. Why not copy, paste, and edit those algorithms to create NPC Farmers who could be assigned to a Farmhouse to put resources into a Resource Box that is set within the Farmhouses area of effect (blue circle)? Sell NPC Farmers at a separate vendor at Freeports, otherwise, their appearance and mechanics are basically the same as Crew.

- Create switches for Farmhouse collection. Users set the switches to be On or Off for base types of material (generic settings), so if that particular resource is available, it will be collected or not collected based on the switches. For example, if a switch is set on  for Wood, the Farmhouse will collect any Wood within its area. If the switch for Metal is set off, it will not collect any metal at all, regardless of how many types are within the area of effect.

Hopefully, these could make Farmhouses more helpful with a little editing by using the existing algorithms and game mechanics.

🍺

2 hours ago, Braeburn the Bad Apple said:

Could see an easier set up with the Farmhouse concept using existing components:

- Limit Farmhouses 1/Island (like Crew Silo) to prevent spamming by players;

- reduce the proximity of other Farmhouses limitation to the size of its area of effect gather zone (blue circle);

- allow NPC’s to be assigned to Farmhouse. In the way that a NPC Crew is able to draw resources out of a ship’s Resource Box to Repair a ship, seems that most of the code is already there. Why not copy, paste, and edit those algorithms to create NPC Farmers who could be assigned to a Farmhouse to put resources into a Resource Box that is set within the Farmhouses area of effect (blue circle)? Sell NPC Farmers at a separate vendor at Freeports, otherwise, their appearance and mechanics are basically the same as Crew.

- Create switches for Farmhouse collection. Users set the switches to be On or Off for base types of material (generic settings), so if that particular resource is available, it will be collected or not collected based on the switches. For example, if a switch is set on  for Wood, the Farmhouse will collect any Wood within its area. If the switch for Metal is set off, it will not collect any metal at all, regardless of how many types are within the area of effect.

Hopefully, these could make Farmhouses more helpful with a little editing by using the existing algorithms and game mechanics.

🍺

You presume the devs used object oriented code where they could reuse existing systems rather than making a mess of spaghetti megapatches on megapatches.   They are all good ideas but selling the idea as being system reuse is not how these devs work!

The only issue I have is the one per island, that means colonists never have any shot at resource automation as only the landlord would get that one and it would have to get every resource on the island.  With more per island then there actually becomes a strategy involved of which nodes do you want to harvest and a reason to fight the others in lawless that are farming the valuable nodes.

Question for the devs (not that I expect it to get answered!)

You have started re-developing the game, all well and good cos hell it needs it, it has the potential to be a truly great game that could very well be played and developed for years should you get it right. However you are not addressing the concerns of the community e.g. lag, ping, and general toxicity of players/companies, yet you continue to develop new content and share ideas on what you want to do with the game such as adding even more new content.

Now for the question

Are you doing it this way so that once you have the content to where you want it to be you can then go on to sort out the issues so you only have to do the work once, or are you slowly working on fixes behind the scenes to release alongside the updates and keeping quiet about it so the community is pleasantly surprised when some of it issues ate magically fixed?

-  Rant alert  -

Honestly at the moment I would prefer if the Development team spent some time on fixing the game, rather than adding pointless fluff! 

Come on  dev's, every time I try to do anything on the PvE server I get bounced back a random number of steps. This makes any sort of combat a complete lottery, I.e. you have one in 16 million chance of hitting the lion you are currently being carried by; as usually the lag means you cant get your weapon into your hand before it kills you.  

Carrying a tame, even deep in the hold on a ship, is a simple way of getting it to do some long range swimming. There is more Bears in the waters of some zones than ship wreaks or Ships of the Dammed.

Passing through the zone borders on some zones is like playing Russian roulette with an automatic pistol, PLEASE FIX THIS ASAP IT IS EXTREMELY FRUSTRATING. 

The massive reduction of zones and loss of a server means, it takes forever to find a bit of shore to build a ship. Then when you do find somewhere, no doubt some five year old will cry about being to close to their base and start behaving like a baby when you ignore them (You know who you are). 

Due to the apparent lack of interest in this game from the developers, I had given up on this game entirely, until one of my friends pointed out the reboot and farmhouse, indicating some new interest from the developers. I really enjoy the game but firmly believe that any product should work as designed before it is polished with shiny fluff (although I really think you could give us some Frigates and 1st Class ships of the line :) ).

-  Rant Over -

Could really love this game once it is fixed.

Back on topic... How about the new ship thing... I've such a dream ship I want... 
H3257-L78858324.jpg
Can it get more pirate! why yes it can! give me the Nautilus
cd845eaab22f434db6308f9c40be352f.jpg

Others want it too:

Thanks for your work on the game and moving it more to the sea!

-Sargon Trillian

Edited by Sargon Trillian
  • Like 2

Just don’t mess with the current available tames and creatures then can be bred. I like my razors and shield horns and breeding them is a good portion of what I play for. Please also we need more space every beach is packed and hard to find a place to build without being on top of someone else. I like the new map hate the amount of land lost and it ain’t helping the lag issue loading lots of structures on top of each other. Would really like more details on the change to pve because I don’t want to play on a pvp server nor play single player. As a very small 3 member company I have no interest in pvp and dealing with the toxicity of playing on the pvp server. 

seeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa  hoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooorrrrrrrrrrrrrrssssssssssssssssssseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee..............

Hello!

Back to the real issue:
The Farmhouse and the upcoming Warehouse are the best new developments in a long time!

Questions about the Warehouse:
How many warehouses do you need? One Warehouse for every Farmhouse? Or is one Warehouse enough for all your farmhouses?

Thanks and best regards!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

i am glad to see more fluid ressource Progress for solo and small groups and for island owner also.

regluar wipes? in an early acess game is good to check the progression and player flow from lvl 1.

Maybee later i will come 1 PVE Server (no wipes) 1 PVP Server (no wipes) 1 Saision PVP (regular wipes)?

time will tell 🙂

First off I am glad we are getting some kind of new content. I have to say that I believe the new team were like hey if we gonna wipe more lets call it seasons its easier for people to stomach. With that said we will see what they actually decide to do when its not just for advertisement of forced wipes from developers that had abandoned the game. There are alot of server connection problems and a lot of crashes that need to be addressed in game where you will most likely loss your ship or all you have on you if that happens. Breeding for some is draw to the game but if you give us farm houses and warehouse breeding should be addressed as well. Many would like to do this but investing 8 hours per breed is a lot. This brings up the server downs for patches or updates. In this game the last two updates were given in game notices of 10 mins. That is not enough time. We need 12 hours notice if that was given on the log in screen that would be perfect. I personally always get on atlas twitter before if lift my anchor. That helps but your population doesn't know that they need to do that since most of the population has only had crashed servers as down time since the last wipe I mean "cough cough" "season".  I would also like an official atlas how to deal with bug page. I know we got introduced to the new team but the old one when active actually admitted to what bugs were active and gave quick patch fix or the work around. There are various game breaking bugs with multiple fixes if you spend much time researching but why not have one place where the new team let us know what to do to be able to play until they have the time to fix it. Last thing I really would like to know what your vision for the pve player base is. The only response has been very vague and the only reason i can see not responding and taking a way the N.A. pve server was to save money. I hope you do not get rid of pve  all together. PvP in the current state is unacceptable for me but I do enjoy the pve and if you do continue pve next "season" then if you  only have 1 server for N.A. and E.U I think it would be great for each grid to have in its name where the server is located and have some grids from the U>S and some from E.U with the server location in its name so we can know what kinda ping we gonna deal with. The other issue is farm houses on a fresh wipe pve server gonna make the population after 1st  week  not be able to place 1 for them selves. Along with the way pve is all bunched together all islands should be lawless its pointless for a few people to own an island the only purpose for it at this point is for them to get free gold from people's maps and to decided who can live there on a lot laggy server. If you do keep islnads ownable by companies on pve then be able for the owner to turn on if people can build there . If you keep pve which i hope you do please try to balance it as a pve server not just something that gets all the pvp patches.  Id love to see the new team playing the game some of the best mmo's i have ever played had random incounter's with g.m. in game while they took control of monsters or created live events or anything that allows us to feel like this game is in development and not sitting in the G>M's basement with the title early access collecting dust on it .

So firstly yeh we all bought into an early access game and the lack of any stability that goes with it. That doesn't mean it will happen again. I certainly will not buy another early access game from this company, and maybe any other for that matter. Cos tbh the get out clause of "we can take your money and do what we want" needs an update, to at least include a time limit for ea games. Until microsoft or steam start to impose a limited ea time then i'm out for any future investments. I still say for what I paid I got my money's worth of hours (pc) not xbox, xbox version was a mug off considering the game differences, the port is so bad I barely played it. But i'd like to have stayed committed to Atlas for the long haul. However with the upcoming "rust" at sea patches I cant see many players committing serious time and effort anymore, me included.