Sign in to follow this  
ATLAS

Captain’s Log #40: Warehouse Teaser and Endgame Discussion

20200807_Warehouse_Announcement_1920x1080-min.jpg

Ahoy Pathfinders!

Our commitment to bringing new features to ATLAS continues. ATLAS is still in Early Access, and we’re only in the beginning stages of developing the renewed ATLAS journey. Many changes are incoming and a lot of work is being done behind the scenes. All of your feedback has been very helpful and we’re thankful you’re taking this voyage with us as we shape the ATLAS experience. 

Many of you have expressed that you wanted to hear more about our vision as we breathe new life into ATLAS. From the highest level, the main efforts are towards making the ocean fun and cleaning up the code. We are putting equal efforts into fixing bugs and rickety systems while we work on new things for you to do on the water. Apart from that, we feel that ATLAS suffers from a themeing problem. In some aspects, the game tries to be almost a simulation, but in others, there are dragons and hydras. Currently, this creates a bit of incongruence which we are working to solve. Unifying the theme is one of the broader arcs within the design team. For example, it's fair to say that we want to edge away from being a high fantasy, "WoW with ships". There are lots of great ideas we are playing with, but nothing that we are able to share at this point. As we get closer to defining our ideas, we’ll bring them out onto the deck for you guys. 🙂

One of the bigger changes is a new, more optimized system for ships and new types of ships. This includes the mechanic of buying certain types of ships for gold. We’ve seen a lot of excitement and feedback around this topic, with many players hoping to find out more info about its current state. Unfortunately, that's all we can say right now. Please know there is a steady stream of content planned and we're half timing on that and half timing on fixing the bugs and cleaning up the code as we navigate towards a 1.0 release. 

A lot of these bigger changes are going to take some time to fully implement, and some of the changes happening now are setting the foundations for that gameplay. Think of them as building blocks. For example, although the Farmhouses are indeed a QoL update, it’s just the first step in a longer scheme for a new system. Now, we’re excited to announce the second step - Warehouses! 

:anchor: Warehouses :anchor:

Warehouses will be coming to ATLAS next week! Connect Warehouses to Farmhouses to automatically store the resources you gather! How will this system continue to evolve? You’ll have to wait and see. 😉

Please note that Farmhouses and Warehouses are still in their first iteration. We will continue to develop and improve them as we look at gameplay and receive player feedback.

We’re sure you have many questions on how the Warehouse itself will function as well.  Leave us your questions in the comments section! We’ll be going more in-depth about Warehouses in the patch notes next week.

In the meantime, we’d like to share some of the concept art for Warehouses below:

20200807_Warehouse_Concept_Color-min.jpg

20200807_Warehouse_Concept_Sketch-min.jpg

:anchor: Endgame Encounters & EXP :anchor:

We’ve received a lot of questions about the boss encounters continuing to reward EXP. After careful consideration, we will be leaving it “as is” for the remainder of Season 4. 

We appreciate the reports you all have been sending us. Through your feedback, we saw that the problems with the boss encounters were a priority issue that the community wanted addressed. In the process of introducing the fixes, we found that it is a deep rabbit hole of accumulated issues. Unfortunately, it is going to take us some time to fully sort it out. We are a small but dedicated team with big aspirations, and there is a balance that we want to strike when it comes to implementing new features while continuing to work on existing bugs and balance issues. At this time, we currently do not have the resources to properly approach boss encounters and the myriad of issues surrounding the current state of endgame content. We have therefore come to recognize that it would be better to leave the boss encounters as is while we focus on implementing the next steps of the new system we are currently rolling out. We’ll still continue to include other fixes and adjustments as we can, but we will have to apologize for where we have to leave the state of endgame for now. However, please know that adjustments will be made before the next season wipe. 

Please note, the zeroing out on some of the endgame exp is temporary. As an Early Access title, many things can and will continue to change during development - and your feedback is an integral part of our approach. We are very grateful for the reports and feedback we’ve received thus far and will continue to look to the community to help guide our actions and improve our processes. Thank you for not only helping us discover these issues, but for the insight you provide us as well. As our First Mate, the community, and the support and dedication we receive from you, means a lot to us. 

:wheel:

Happy Sailing,

- ATLAS Crew

:skull: For the latest dispatch on #playATLAS keep yer one good eye trained on this here information :skull:

Natter n' chatter on Discord: https://discord.gg/playatlas
Hear ye, hear ye on Twitterhttps://twitter.com/sailtheatlas
Watch us scallywags on Twitch: http://twitch.tv/sailtheatlas
Plus ye can band with us Pirates on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/playatlasgame

View full article

now that you have acknowledged seasons and wiping the servers can we get an idea on how long the "season" is?

• Like 7

I don't mind the Farmhouse and won't mind the Warehouse. But please give us the ability to build it ourselves with customization, just like we can add stuff to our ships!

• Like 2

Limit farmhouse to one per company..the damn things covers the islands and get unattended..and imo cause ton of lag. One company shouldn't have 10 or 15 farms on an island

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, BalackFT said:

I don't mind the Farmhouse and won't mind the Warehouse. But please give us the ability to build it ourselves with customization, just like we can add stuff to our ships!

It would be kinda cool if it was a liveable space. There are many buildings that we have access to but can't "use". If we could have the warehouse be "liveable" with snap points for the different crafting benches and slight customizations like ships, company island foot prints may become much smaller (Almost like a one stop shop) with one of each farm per grid or something to that affect? You could even reward players by boosting the efficiency of the farm if the use the small foot print. Customisation would be required though so it doesn't look quite as spammy. Perhaps have different base models per biome theme?

Edited by TridentSpoon
  • Like 3

On 8/7/2020 at 4:46 PM, Elmer said:

Being able to tell your crew to dock your boat would be very huge

beyond the mats we need more abilities at sea!!!! help us start wars let me command 2 ships instead of one and let me be a CAPTAIN!!!! 

Edited by Elmer
  • Like 1

To be quite frank, is rather have new workstations with these abilities and new building components, then build my own structures (ships and land based) with the workstations to create my own layouts. I enjoy building just as much as seafaring and questing.

• Like 1

why are you guys killing the material trade market? you say you want more player interaction? or is that only for combat on PvP? you add things i have yet to hear anyone ask for but wont fix the bugs and other issues like optimization that pretty much everyone is screaming for ( the lawless zones are laggy AF by the way), here's an idea fix whats not working properly now THEN add things, same goes for the taming, why make it harder to tame large animals like elephants and giraffes? was that so ppl would look at farms more favorably to use the farms, which by the way should have the option to select what you want harvested ( like materials or consumables) as they stop when at a total weight, also as Black Beard said you should have limited the farms to 1 per company per island that would have the side effect of exploration (which you say you want and player interaction which you also say you want)

side note, comparing this game to WoW? really? that's a bold claim, this is and will always be a re-skinned "ARK with ships"

don't get me wrong this isn't a dig at the game, i get why you re-used and re-skinned assets from a you have already spent money on to develop but if you had built upon and improved that then this would and could have be so much better, minor example riding a bear at full sprint to only come to a abrupt halt due to a pebble? not being able to walk/run up 20-30 degree angle in some spot yet move 2 steps over and you can go up a 40 degree angle?? 

Edited by RogueSnowMan
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, drunkinfoo said:

now that you have acknowledged seasons and wiping the servers can we get an idea on how long the "season" is?

4 months, I hope. this game's intense. I think it would benefit from how a lot of unofficial ARK servers do their wipes.

2 hours ago, I3lack I3eard said:

Limit farmhouse to one per company..the damn things covers the islands and get unattended..and imo cause ton of lag. One company shouldn't have 10 or 15 farms on an island

But you can see why they are not custom builds, can you imagine the lag if there was 15 different buildings to load rather than 15 of the same building?

I have some things to ask you guys.

1: Why does it feels like you don't want people to get to max level? This is the first game i have ever played where it feels like you are doing anything in your power to make noone ever get max level. S1 a few was max level, S2 a few was max level, S3 some found the lever bug and got 120, S4 more bugs are found and you start wiping cause you dont want people to be max level.
I understand that people should not be max level that fast, but doing 1000's of maps to get max level??? Who wanna do that?

2: PLEASE make reversing go just a little faster. Reverse parking my galleon makes me wanna kill myself.

3: Give all grids their own server like S1.. Every grid where there are 2 company's building harbor and defences = LAGGY shit...

4: A lot in this games takes VERY LONG time. You lose a lot of players because they dont have time. Not everyone have a lot of time to spare, and can only log in for like 1-2 hours every second day. But if you wanna do anything other than farm it take agaes. Just sailing 3 grids, doing 4 maps, sailing 1 grid, doing 2 maps and sailing back = players that can play only a few hours wont be able to do it without having to park their ship, gold, BP's a random place and hope its not gone when they come back. Parking it at freeport wont work either if they can't log in before the next day.
Or how would a casual player ever breath a horse?
I know some things should take time, and some should not be easy.. But have you thougt about how many players you are loosing because you need to play this gave for MANY hours each week to not get hopeless behind.

4: Give the option to log a ship out in freeport, transfere it off the server. Make it cost like 5K gold, 10K gold or whatever price feels right. People wont need to build masive harbors, wich makes server lag, and ther eare not 20 gally with crew and stuff draining resources from the server either.

5: Build a better trade station thing. Make one that dont have to be on the freeport. Make let people use the bank or something for it. Make it cost some more to use it, like 1 gold for each 100 things that gets traded and make a fixed valve. Like 1:1 only or gold.
11.000 x-wood for 10.000 x-fiber - Cost 110 gold in fee to make the trade.
250.000 softwood for 5.000 gold - Cost 2500 gold in fee to make the trade.

6: Make Weight sails and Speed sails Go up and down just as fast as Handling sails.

7: Do something about the RNG of treasure maps. First you need to actually find a good treasure map, the you need to go and hopefully be able to do the treasure map (hope that its not on a enemy island, defended with puckles, spam build on the island and what ever) and then hope that its not a myth fishing net or some crap that you get. Its like 1 in 200 maps you collect that is actually decent end game BP. And change people being able to block map spawns  with small shipyard and other stuff.

Just a few thoughts from me.

Edited by Kvide
  • Like 3

So, in short, we get XXXLstorageboxes wich we can connect to farmhouses. 

That's impossible for the most players to place them, but let's see how this turns out. 

WIPE CONFIRMED.

Sigh.

Edited by Cpt.Yarrr
  • Like 2

stop wiping and the new smaller map makes the game a death trap for bobs! meaning they will leave the game.

When we first settled, we built our warehouse. This was the biggest 3x5 house in our base, because we had to put a lot of storage boxes inside, to keep all we gathered from around the world.

Later on - storage boxes were extended.

Later on - we changed them to ship supply boxes because there all resources go to a single stack no matter if there 500 or 20000 metal.

So now... well we'll have our warehouse. If it can contain hell a lot of resources any type within unlimited stacks, and if there is a way to sort all by folders, then... well. I will simply replace this one:

1e81yrf.jpg

With new one.

And THATS the right step to "prefab optimizes buildings", I personally hope (and I know - most of players don't like the idea) that one day all "Minecraft" will be canceled and we all come to all prefab bases and only custom will left is piers and walls infrastructure.

JpP5JCB.jpg

P.S. - as because we have unlimited stacks - it's difficult to pick certain amount of resources. So... we need some feature allows us to choice - how much resources we wanna take.

P.P.S. - oh and one more thing. I would like to be able to enter to prefabs. Let there be a simple cosmetics inside but shadow in hot zones and warmth in cold ones.

Edited by George Catcher
  • Like 1

Simple UI fix for ship boxes and warehouse, with inventory a single click gets one, while t gets the stack which is useless for the infinite stack in these.   Change the ship boxes and warehouse that a single click gets a stack in your inventory.  Because why would you go to the warehouse just to get one item, you usually want just a stack to make something.

• Like 2

It blows my mind that there are people that think seasons will help the game long term. It definitely increases short term fun but it burns people out when they build and breed and then lose it all. 

This isn't rust, things are not as replaceable or as temporary. I truly hope thst come release they stick with the original plan and don't wipe again. 

• Thanks 2

Two things I'd like to see addressed one is lag and the other is the breeding. Since when do any animals abandon their young at birth? Why can't they have their mothers take care of them until maturity. Make them have to stay in a certain distance from their mothers.  

1 hour ago, bobbehyyc said:

It blows my mind that there are people that think seasons will help the game long term. It definitely increases short term fun but it burns people out when they build and breed and then lose it all. 

This isn't rust, things are not as replaceable or as temporary. I truly hope thst come release they stick with the original plan and don't wipe again. 

But they are eliminating the need to build and breed with windmills/warehouses and buyable ships.   Thus they are totally preparing for the wipeable seasons model.  Why do you think they stopped calling them megapatches which did not imply wipe, seasons absolutely implies wipe.  Seasons brings in old and new blood.

Edited by krazmuze

If I wanted to play a game where I lose everything regularly, i'd play bingo. If they are going down the rust route in Atlas, and it seems they are, then I suggest they first watch all the rust  players youtube videos. I've got socks older than most of the player base, and I certainly wouldn't recommend it as family friendly.

• Haha 1