Sign in to follow this  
CaptBlackSparrow

@Devs Sincere Feedback without Emo BS

First off, let me say that I am an Ark first month player (about 3 weeks in) and Atlas Day 1 player, yet I am not some fanboi who think you guys do no wrong, but this is not about criticism towards your company(s) or your past mistakes. This is just straight up player feedback about Atlas from a PvE POV after taking the dive back in after a year away. 

First off, about me. My playstyle is PvE as mentioned. My wife and kids play on and off in a small tribe so our focus and feedback is from the standpoint of that focus. Since coming back it has just been my wife and I playing so a 2 player tribe. We do not play official, but play on a very large PvPvE server. (8x8 grid).

Let me say first off that I think you should seriously consider adopting the PvPvE grid method. Section off certain grids just for PvP and let those grids have slightly better rates (gathering, treasure, XP) so people go there for a purpose and for better rewards and let those who want to focus on PvE or even being merchants or builders do that. Everyone wins and you can create a better community by allowing some to have a purpose other than just battling with risk vs reward accomplishments. 

What we like: We like sailing. We like going after sunken treasure ships and doing treasure maps to gain better blueprints. We like the quest skills and that some things are gated behind those like the bonuses to your stats for completing things, etc. We like ship battles with the NPC's. We like the new farms. They WAI, but need some tweaks like a bigger radius (maybe x2) and I would cap 2 per island per company so people still need to travel to other islands to find stuff so perhaps someone cannot get all of what an island has to offer from those 2 farms. We like the settlement claiming. Not sure how it works on official, but on our server, depending on the size of your company depends on how many points you get. Our company of 2 were able to get a good island and a decent middle island and we're happy. 

What we don't like: We don't like the crew management system (or lack thereof). It's a PITA to buy crew and get them on your boats and assign them to the exact post you want them to be on. We don't like the melee combat. The buttons to select weapons are not very responsive. Many times I get attacked suddenly by a tiger, try to pull my sword out, only to not be able to tell if it's out so I am struggling to know if my weapon is even in my hand and by then I'm about dead. Melee combat needs to have more skills. Also the limits on what you can equip on your bar is not that helpful. So I cannot have a sword and a climbing pick at once? That's pretty lame. The cd on equipping weapons is a bit absurd as well. 

What we would like to see added: More style of boats, but also different classes. Going back to the PvPvE idea, what if you made a boat designed to smuggle goods. No combat except maybe minor firing of defensive things to break free of entanglements, etc. Maybe the boat is not super good on weight, because it's meant to go in to the PvP zone for a specific resource that is only available there, get out and go sell what they worked to get. I know many would like to play this "role". How about different NPC ships and not just a fleet to go up against. It would be nice to maybe fight smuggler NPC's who have special resources to get as a reward. Also, if you want people to stop relying so much on tames, you neeed to make weapon and melee combat better. The farmhouses can make gathering outdated which is cool, but to make animals truly outdated, you need to make combat much better with more skills (with less cd's) on your hotbar and specializations would be nice. I'd love to go toe-to-toe with the dead or even live creatures, but I prefer the safety and higher chance of living riding a bear. Crew members not only need better management, but also more roles. I'd like to see them truly repair everything. I think they should be tied to the farmhouses instead of thatch for collecting. I'd like to see them be able to be specialized so they can also add an additional bonus to crafted blueprints or non special blueprints so you can get better armor. We would like to see more merchant roles and with being able to craft unique items people would trade more. Also, land units to fight and land bases to raid. I thought this was something we were going to see? Atlas has so much potential. Steampunk run airships or more submarines that can do combat would be fun. I for one would love to go out to a PvP zone to try and sink ships from a submarine. air, sea and undersea battles would be a lot of fun.

I know that foundational fixes are the most important which is why to me NPC's and performance will hopefully be what you work on. Anyway, just wanted to share and share from a small group pov. There's more of us out there than you think.