The Falcon

decay times

Had a neighbor on the island decide to "rage quit" and left all his stuff behind.  It seems that all the walls, foundations, etc are on a 9 day decay timer but things like storage boxes, smithy's, etc are on something much longer, like 30 days.  So the building will decay but all this other stuff hangs around for 30 days?  This makes any island space that is abandoned effectively unusable for 30 days.  The 9 day timer is pretty useless.  On what planet does this make sense?  Everything should have a 9 day timer.  Who thought this would be a good idea?

The 9 day timer is pretty useless.  On what planet does this make sense?  Everything should have a 9 day timer.  Who thought this would be a good idea?

As far as I understand there were alot of messages before where ppl complained about low decay timers (it was a week or even less). They arguing that some might go to vacation or their working watch and within this time all will be destroyed. Ppl asked about at least 15 days. So even 10 days is a compromise.

As for me... well. I often see the same picture. There are a lot of dead empty bases around, and timer counts down to like 2-3 days left. Then player log in to renew timer and then go offline for another week. So I have dense building around, and like 95% of is just don't serve any purpose. It's just there counting it's decay timers.

World still looks dead. Like after nuclear disaster - all buildings are there, but no people around.

The solution I see is:

a) - Get rid of lawless.

b) - Make island contain of several zones at the shore, available to claim. Solo and small companies can claim just a single zone at single island. Average companies - couple of zones. Megas - half of island or maybe one whole not very big island.

c) - Only owner and his crewmates can build on claimed territory.

d) - Center of island is free to build but with rapid decay timer like 12-24 hours with NO WAY to extend it.

And it's claimed territory have it's decay. And after decay run out it goes to "abandon" state for a day with all chests and doors unlocked. 

The only problem I see here is if you crash your boat around the shore, you wont be able to build temp shipyard for a sloop that will carry you and your stuff home. But there are like ways to solve it. Like imagine there is a quest system and you'll be able to set rescue mission to carry you and your stuff back to your home. And any players will be able to take you back and get a some... lets say cosmetic rewards for that, or maybe some valuable stuff, not too many to prevent abuses). Or maybe you can just call for boatman and for some resources he will carry you back...

Yeah, about zones size. We really don't need that much space for everything. Like look. I've got all. Shipyards! 7 houses (2 houses for personal projects with smithies, storage house, tavern with food and beds, blacksmith, workshop with tannery and loom and wharf where we build ships and store all ship related BPs and maps)! We have walls, tames pen, even tames trap and small farm. And it's this size:

C2Bx9lU.jpg

So if territory to claim will be twice as big it will be more then enough! There will be like 30-40 zones like that at every island the size I live on. I never saw more then 50 ppl online.

Edited by George Catcher

To clarify my complaint, I have no problem with the 9-10 day timer.  It is the 30 day timer for the stuff that is found in EVERY base.  That is the problem.  Everything should be on the same schedule.  If your base decays in 9-10 days but the stuff in it doesn't decay for 30 days, it would seem to defeat the purpose of having a shorter time decay period. I don't really see the point of having two different times.  You are still forced to wait the 30 days for the space to become usable.

• Like 2

If a smithy or whatever is placed on a foundation they will destroy and go when the decay timer runs out. They only hang around for the full 30 days if they are placed directly on the ground. So if it is a base with floors etc then it should all go at the same time.