Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
Writhes

I avoid the water... Heres why...

Recommended Posts

I'm not here to complain that I don't get to own a boat. I honestly view it as a waste of time as someone that plays alone and I generally have a lot more fun pvping on land, but I did read the latest Dev Q&A and there was a part that suggested that developers want to focus on content in the ocean and encourage sailing. This just came off as something very strange to me given the current pvp environment that has manifested in the ocean of this game.

As a casual solo pvp player I avoid the water as much as possible. I personally find my fix of PVP on the land starting gun fights with others or raiding bases. I know that top companies are always patrolling the water around their controlled tiles looking for their fix of ship PVP. All of these companies are constantly working with quality planks and cannons. People just starting the game or people like me that enjoy playing in small groups or alone are severely disadvantaged and the risk of losing time to an unwinnable inescapable ship fight are always too high.

People quickly learn without being in a decent company with owned land that building boats is often a chore not worth the effort and learn to focus their effort on land. I personally feel pressured to avoid crossing water with anything of high value and view any boats I build as an extremely temporary highly volatile way of transporting items.

Well, either way I don't care. I just thought it was a bit ironic that the the devs want to encourage more ocean focused content given the extreme volatility and highest potential loss of time investment the ocean of this game represents at the moment. I wanted to provide some insight of the mindset players like myself may have of the ocean and sailing.

Edited by Writhes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the fundamental problem is that this game is trying to be a PVE game and a PVP game at the same time. The two worlds don't mix well. Most PVE MMO's that add PVP nerf nearly every aspect of PVE power when it relates to other players, this one doesn't.

So a company that does tons of PVE has a stupid advantage over smaller companies or solo's that don't do as much. Not only that, the stronger  companies control the gates to the PVE. Want to farm SOD in powerstone grids for ship upgrades? Want to do Hydra? Expect big companies patrolling there that already did that content in decked-out ships to pounce and stop you from doing it.

I personally think the game would be better if all the stats gained from BP's, both player worn/used and ship, only applied to PVE content. So a stronger cannon kills Hydra/Kraken better and faster, but it does exactly the same damage to a player ship as a common cannon. This makes PVP 100% skill-based and lets the average Joe feel like he can go toe-to-toe with any ship that enters his grid.

Think of how scared the large companies would be with their 240% mythical plank brig knowing a level 20 from lawless could sink them with their common schooner if they knew how to sail better.

All of the things that help you in PVP should be easily at your fingertips. Food, Grog, plate versus fur, etc. could all stay the same. Stop giving player attributes at 50 like someone else suggested. Getting to 50 is easy and the difference between a level 50 and a level 120 is silly. There is still great value from skill points but they don't seem to upset the PVP balance as much. However, I think it would be much better if you got 75% of your skill points by level 50 and those last 70 levels were about getting another 25%. The amount of PVE content you have to grind (without finding exploits) is crazy at the high levels so leave that to the hardcore that just want the extra 25% of the points. The rest of us can settle for 75% and still compete.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

PvP, been playing since 5 hours after the new map came out to current. I am lvl 57 and there are people 120lvl again and yea this may be a game breaker. Love you posts very valid points

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...