Louiziana

Farmhouse Update - Are the devs even gamers?

Hello Devs. Either you have never been into or engaged in a PVE server in your life,  OR you simply don't give a damn about half your playerbase... FARMHOUSES ARE NOT FOR PVE!!! They ruin our game! We have nothing fun to do in the ocean anyways! Now you are ruining the use for any farming tame at all. That effects breeders which work toward getting nice Mutations in pivotal stats for Elephants and Giraffes.

Jesus Christ stop treating PVE like the redheaded stepchild!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

They removed all those discovery points so exploration is way less fun. They turned on instant auto decay so exploring abandoned structures is gone. They made the map smaller so it’s not really “far” to sail anywhere and it’s overcrowded. Farming is a thing now so why bother with animals when we can have 100 windmills. Why in the wide world of Atlas can’t we have one huge PVE server with a few tweaks different from a PVP server? I have plenty of money to spend on good DLC’s, lots of PVE players do. Why do they care how they make money? Why is it always PVP? 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

It's a well beaten dead horse that GS doesn't consider PVE important, but in their effort to get players on the water, the farmhouse isn't a bad idea.  They straight up say the rate it collects is still no match for collecting by hand, and likely even more so with tames.  But it allows players to get out on the water and let their base do some work, which to some players isn't a bad thing.   Additionally, a lot of players simply see taming as an obstacle to their game play.  I even see ARK players that gripe about taming, if you can imagine that.

Frankly, investing in the amount of time needed breeding for mutations seems to me to be an exercise in frustration, if server wipes are going to be a regular thing...

ETA: "we can have 100 windmills."  From the announcement, there's a limit on how close they can be.  You're going to have to have a huge island all to yourself, to put 100 windmills on.

Edited by Bugboy
added info

I think the reason gaming companies chose pvp is because it requires virtually no dlc and practically runs itself. It's like chess with the same board.unlike in pve where players like visuals and npc interaction. But I also have a suspicion that someone up high making the decisions is a die hard pvp'er. But I do agree that by sidelining pve they are losing out on a lot of income potential.

Ok so, why would you guys give us a tool to collect resources that other players can turn off? Isn't the whole point of the farmhouse to collect materials while I AM AWAY DOING THINGS ON THE WATER? Impossible if I have to babysit the farmhouse and guard against rogue power savers...just sayin'....

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Lawdog2012 said:

Ok so, why would you guys give us a tool to collect resources that other players can turn off? Isn't the whole point of the farmhouse to collect materials while I AM AWAY DOING THINGS ON THE WATER? Impossible if I have to babysit the farmhouse and guard against rogue power savers...just sayin'....

Yeah I noticed that last night.  Must be the same group of brainiacs that allowed anyone to turn generators off in ARK.  You would THINK that would be a major milestone, making sure only the owner can operate the equipment, but there I go thinking!  

As far as my comments above, after seeing them in action, I'm gonna have to say they are way OP, besides the headache of having a neighbor put one right up against his fence so your entire base area is blocked from placing one.  I fitted my entire galleon with large cannons in one evening, with the resources 2 farm houses collected...

Edited by Bugboy
added detail
  • Thanks 1

Hate to say it, but because of the farmhouse I did not need to spend 2 hours farming mats for my 3rd floor expansion. This resulted in me being out and about sailing last night. So from that perspective it seems to be working.

Though there really needs to be a limit of the number of farmhouses a company can put down in a grid. At this point you just spam as many as you can and just collect every hourish.

If no limit, then I think they should look at using crew to power it instead of thatch. Itll be a "softer" limit, since players will need gold to pay said crew, as well as having to get crew for it. Both of these would further help push players into sailing in my opinion.

• Like 1

Limit them to one per company per grid or something similar. People are spamming right now placing them just like they place pillars lol. It’s a poor and rushed attempt at helping the almighty PvP players have more fun on the ocean...

Stop trying to speak for all PVE players.  I for 1 and i bet loads of others find whacking trees and rocks for hours and hours very very boring.  

I get no enjoyment farming for hours.    I like the new farmhouse's very much.  It means I can go sailing more to tame or treasure maps or SOTD, diving or completing challenges.

Also so what if people won't need tames much, the devs have said from the beginning they didn't want this game (Tame Breeder 2)  Ark being Tame Breeder 1.

As a PVE player I want more focus on ships, crew, quests, exploring, battling more sea monsters, more types of ai pirates to fight, more bosses.

I and i think alot of other PVE players don't want to be farming for hours and sat feeding babys for hours.

Also if you don't want to use Farmhouse. Guess what, you don't have to use it.

I agree Lawless needs sorting tho.

Edited by Captain Silude
  • Like 1

I agree that farming/collecting stuff is kind of very grindy right now. this is why farmhouse in PvP/PvE is a good addition, but they need to change few core things, before saying that this is a fix. Because in current state its just a bandage to bigger issues.

They should just add crew requirement for farm house. So you would have to acquire crew and pay gold for it as @GINDORF said.

they should limit to one farmhouse per company per island, and you should have ability to have multiple upgrades (like now where is wooden one and stone one) allowing more and more crew members to work at it.

Yeh I agree that pve would be great if they added more npc's and environment stuff, the problem I have with the farmhouses is the direction it takes us, because they are not yet adding more things to do at sea, and I wonder if we will eventually see just more incentive for conflict, and nothing else. So that pve will just be the pvp world with no fighting. I have been playing since release and even with the smaller map it's still pretty much the same pve experience that it was at launch. With the exception of claiming and taming that is. Bottom line is I would like to have more to interact with in the game, not less. I'm sure i'm not the only pve'er that feels that way either.

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Captain Silude said:

Also so what if people won't need tames much, the devs have said from the beginning they didn't want this game (Tame Breeder 2)  Ark being Tame Breeder 1.

As a PVE player I want more focus on ships, crew, quests, exploring, battling more sea monsters, more types of ai pirates to fight, more bosses.

I and i think alot of other PVE players don't want to be farming for hours and sat feeding babys for hours.

Atlas taming to me is a welcome change to the tedium of ARK taming.  You don't have to spend hours and hours hunting, and then hours and hours taming something.  So, it's not remotely comparable to ARK other than there are tames and you can use the tames to collect resourced more efficiently.  Oh, and there are bears and wolves.  No narcos, no tranq darts, no kibble, and to be honest, a more realistic challenge to tame something other than hours and hours to dedicate to watching a sleeping tame.  And that's part of what gaming is, isn't it?  The challenge?

However, nobody should be arguing for decreasing content in a game that is struggling to stay afloat as it is.    

Also if you don't want to use Tames. Guess what, you don't have to use them.  

I like the farmhouses very much as well, but the OP is right, it's made taming largely meaningless.  If you would think about that a minute or 2, you will agree that's probably not a good thing for the long term success of ATLAS.

3 minutes ago, Bugboy said:

Atlas taming to me is a welcome change to the tedium of ARK taming.  You don't have to spend hours and hours hunting, and then hours and hours taming something.  So, it's not remotely comparable to ARK other than there are tames and you can use the tames to collect resourced more efficiently.  Oh, and there are bears and wolves.  No narcos, no tranq darts, no kibble, and to be honest, a more realistic challenge to tame something other than hours and hours to dedicate to watching a sleeping tame.  And that's part of what gaming is, isn't it?  The challenge?

However, nobody should be arguing for decreasing content in a game that is struggling to stay afloat as it is.    

Also if you don't want to use Tames. Guess what, you don't have to use them.  

I like the farmhouses very much as well, but the OP is right, it's made taming largely meaningless.  If you would think about that a minute or 2, you will agree that's probably not a good thing for the long term success of ATLAS.

If you took the time to read what I said, you might of seen I talked about BREEDING TAMES....    I do enjoy Atlas taming much, much more than Arks.

I hope the devs go down the line of what they said from beginning.  Tames not being needed. 

They can be useful, but with Ark they are needed, you cannot get anywhere in Ark without tames..  

Atlas should not need tames.  Tames and breeding should be just some side thing you can enjoy.

In Atlas you should be able to do everything without tames.  Not make it breeding simulator.

@Captain Silude

You said "Also so what if people won't need tames much" which indicated to me you were knocking taming in general.  Otherwise, yes, on BREEDING, I'd agree.  But, the farmhouse makes it: "Also so what if people won't need tames AT ALL" , which I think is a mistake.  

• Like 1

It's so annoying to me how you need bred bears just to be able to do high lvl treasure maps.  Guns in PVE are useless.

Guns should dmg Army of the dead but they don't.   You have to use bred tames

That needs changing.

That is the idea, to get people fed up of PvE and move to PvP but what they don't realise is yes they will give up PvE but also the whole game.

I knew when farmhouses were out there would be little reason for animals which effects breeders who trade and sell.

I don't see PvE in the game long term, people will have to play single player or PvP.

Hopefully they change it into factions in the future for PvP, if so I will happily play it but I very much doubt they will.

I don't so much have a problem with the devs sticking to their original pvp vision for the game because there are plenty of mmo's for me to play, sadly no decent pyrate ones yet. But at the end of the day game developing is a business, and you have to evaluate where the money is coming from, now and in the future. And a lot of players only bought this game for the pve aspect. If they do go mainly pvp, and just give pve players a world with nothing to do, then they will lose at least half of their future sales. It amazes me now how many modern businesses seem to forget they can't function without money

We got one just because it is in the game. But for us - there is just no difference. I mean... a bit less time for resources gathering, but it's like 5-10 minutes economy (and I spent like couple of hours building it). And it doesn't produce thatch... so... I mean we stop with building right now (got all built), and for high lvl BPs we anyway need resources from different grids.

I've been to "Tiger island" (place where insane amount of wild fauna respawn and there are TIGERS there), and because it very populated - I saw those windmills everywhere. And mostly they not working (probably full). In like 15-20 mills I saw around there was just single one was rotate it's wings : )

What I don't really understand is this "reduce farm rate". What was this made for? I mean we live on very hilly island and there is just no flat places around. And some ppl love to do some foundation, railings etc, to make it look good. Why do DEVs want us to place it as is far away from our base?

Edited by George Catcher

I guess the whole idea for the farmhouses is to put them on islands with rare materials so you are guaranteed a good amount when you arrive there. In that way you could quite literally just sail round collecting and selling.

• Like 1

farmhouse should have been for your crops and nothing else.  now they spammed everywhere because people are inconsiderate.  they spam them behind others bases so the lag doesn't bother them at their base. When you add something to a game in pve you need to grief proof it or trashbags will use it to grief.   

ya wanna fix farmhouses? 

^one per company

^only farms crops from YOUR plots no one else

^must be placed IN your base or NEXT to it (not all over the fucking island)

^NPC crew mate with food and gold is need to run it.  (this should have been the "fuel")

Please fix this and moving forward TEST things  first.  

• Like 1

aye but keep in mind pvp games  with serious loss like this game do not survive.  (you will eventually get tired of logging in and everything being destroyed.) 

So at some point your gonna wanna play this game pve if you enjoy living in this world and actually getting somewhere.  Thats why alot of people have left this game 

in the past. :(  good players too. I mean hell if this game was only pvp id just play sea of thieves and say to hell with 100s hours to grind and build ships. 

Sure if your jobless, have no kids/wife/husband and literally have no life other then atlas pvp  they go for it.  Most of us just play game to relax after work and family time. 

• Like 1

On 7/23/2020 at 8:48 PM, Gomez Addams said:

They removed all those discovery points so exploration is way less fun. They turned on instant auto decay so exploring abandoned structures is gone. They made the map smaller so it’s not really “far” to sail anywhere and it’s overcrowded. Farming is a thing now so why bother with animals when we can have 100 windmills. Why in the wide world of Atlas can’t we have one huge PVE server with a few tweaks different from a PVP server? I have plenty of money to spend on good DLC’s, lots of PVE players do. Why do they care how they make money? Why is it always PVP? 

While it's so easy. Make declaring war possible between companies. There's the PvP aspect.

• Like 1

On 7/23/2020 at 10:46 AM, Louiziana said:

Hello Devs. Either you have never been into or engaged in a PVE server in your life,  OR you simply don't give a damn about half your playerbase... FARMHOUSES ARE NOT FOR PVE!!! They ruin our game! We have nothing fun to do in the ocean anyways! Now you are ruining the use for any farming tame at all. That effects breeders which work toward getting nice Mutations in pivotal stats for Elephants and Giraffes.

Jesus Christ stop treating PVE like the redheaded stepchild!

I have told players best get while the getting is good because of the animals being pretty much obsolete due to the farms, the breeders will start griping about it, being solo I like it but I can  see your point at the same time I also see a lot of players charging out the back for prices of like 10k+ for a mater just absolutely ridiculous on prices and only a few will pay those prices I mean, if you don't want to do it and you think it is so hard to do then why do it? Why invest your time into it only to have them sit around and wait on a sucker to come along and pay that much for an animal. Two sides to every story or, more.

On 7/25/2020 at 4:21 PM, Whitehawk said:

I guess the whole idea for the farmhouses is to put them on islands with rare materials so you are guaranteed a good amount when you arrive there. In that way you could quite literally just sail round collecting and selling.

And not having to make a small base like so many people do, one could set up a farm with a bed and that is all.