Christopher Blake

Medium cannons vs Large cannons

I am currently farming to build a Galleon and I was wondering what people normally use on PvE. I have read that large cannons are not worth it because the ammunition is too heavy but some people disagree with that. Some of those threads discuss PvP and I would like to ask on the forum what you guys normally use on your ships. Should I go for large cannons or just stick to medium? Thank you in advance.

I used large cannons on the bottom deck in some middle gunports.

Theory being lower deck doesn't shoot as far as upper decks and mid ship horizontal rotation isnt as important + extra dmg

• Like 1

I'm pve, and always do ALOT of damned ship hunting.

I use my 20 cannons BRIG (10 cannons each side), NO shotguns, no guns at nose or stern, just usual, as they were, boardside fights. Already took down lvl-60 damned galley for quest (and got masterwork ceilings + 250 gold as reward, lol).

And I use ONLY MEDIUM CANNONS.

Their only disadvantage - is range a bit lower then SOtDs has. Buy they are turning and that's very important for fights I do. With this accurate "sail by" maneuvers, and with rally and overdrive I can do 3--4 volleys per "sail by". With big cannons It would be a single shot. IMAO - big cannons worth in "shotguns" and only on stern/nose pointing ahead/back. They gr8 at kiting/chasing tactic (which I don't do).

But I'm not sure if they are available right now out of gunports.

p.s. - I once tried Galley for SOtD hunting and found those battles a real torture. With lack of maneuverability it's one sail by then 2 minutes straight and then one minute turn... you'll spend like for ever to battle each damned ship, get loot from only last one you take down, then spend another forever to do maintenance. Brigs are fun : )

Edited by George Catcher
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, George Catcher said:

I'm pve, and always do ALOT of damned ship hunting.

I use my 20 cannons BRIG (10 cannons each side), NO shotguns, no guns at nose or stern, just usual, as they were, boardside fights. Already took down lvl-60 damned galley for quest (and got masterwork ceilings + 250 gold as reward, lol).

And I use ONLY MEDIUM CANNONS.

Their only disadvantage - is range a bit lower then SOtDs has. Buy they are turning and that's very important for fights I do. With this accurate "sail by" maneuvers, and with rally and overdrive I can do 3--4 volleys per "sail by". With big cannons It would be a single shot. IMAO - big cannons worth in "shotguns" and only on stern/nose pointing ahead/back. They gr8 at kiting/chasing tactic (which I don't do).

p.s. - I once tried Galley for SOtD hunting and found those battles a real torture. With lack of maneuverability it's one sail by then 2 minutes straight and then one minute turn... you'll spend like for ever to battle each damned ship, get loot from only last one you take down, then spend another forever to do maintenance. Brigs are fun : )

Thank you very much for the informative post. I am currently using a brig which I think will use for SOTD farming once I have the galleon. I am aware of how terrible the galleon is when it comes to turning etc (especially without handling sails, i've always used speed sails on it).

Just another question: what sail combination do you use on the brig for SOTD farming? Thanks again in advance 🙂

• Like 1

Just another question: what sail combination do you use on the brig for SOTD farming? Thanks again in advance 

Let me just show it. My SOTDs destroyer I came up to. This is my personal experience (I took down hundreds of damned ships).

- I've got 140% sturdiness for longer sink time, because in fight vs high lvl Galleys I always have few planks gone, so I don't wanna panic because I'm sinking.

- I've got 220% of resistance.

- Rest is in damage. I've tried to put 4000 in weight but it didn't make any noticeable difference. But anyway, if I ever plan to go Kraren (which I do) I'll have to put 4000 in weight because I'll need a lot weight for maintenance and cannonballs.

- I use 1 handling sail and 2 speedsails. This is standard. Handling one need to be able to move counterwing, during the fights. But I didn't ever tried another setup.

- I have as empty middle part as possible, because most of sotd's damage lands here. I also painted all ceilings to chess like, for easier navigation during maintenance.

- I have extra guns in front and my wheel, 2nd deck entrance and barrel at back.

- When I departure to my mission I bring like 2000 wood, 3000 fiber, 2000 thatch, and 500 metal for maintenance (maybe a bit more). Also I have hide, 100 alloys, some keratine and other stuff, for repair... like a barrel : ) And most important. I brings 4 planks, 8 gunports, steering wheel and speedsail with me. Because sometimes damned ship destroys that. I was couple times on my way back to base with 2 sails : )

bjUD5Jn.jpg

• Thanks 1

Wow.. thank you very much for your time and all the information provided. So many valuable tips

But it doesn't necessary have to be this way. I often hear criticism like I don't need a sturdiness, it's useless stat. But I use it. Sometimes I got my plank or two gone, and because of that stat I'm like: "Well... I'll better finish my fight first, and then go for repairs". : ))

I also have ALL in captaining. (I mean not really all, I don't pick podium and music).

Edited by George Catcher

1 minute ago, George Catcher said:

But it doesn't necessary have to be this way. I often hear criticism like I don't need a sturdiness, it's useless stat. But I use it. Sometimes I got my plank or two gone, and because of that stat I'm like: "Well... I'll better finish my fight first, and then go for repairs". : ))

I also have ALL in captaining. (I mean not really all, I don't pick podium and music).

I also heard sturdiness isn't a good stat to level up, which is the reason why i rarely do. I have a lot of points on defense and some in attack power so I'll see how that goes.

Weight-wise, when should I start worrying?  at what % does it turn into a problem?

Weight-wise, when should I start worrying?  at what % does it turn into a problem?

For usual sotd hunting it's not a problem. Even if your vessel will run like 8 knots, damned ships are slower anyway (they do like 6 knots I guess). But the weight matters in Kraken fight. Unfortunately I didn't take part in one, and don't know of how strong incoming damage will be, how many resources goes for repairs, and how many cannonballs we need for a fight. 

So all my thought of weight are just a theory : )) I also didn't do a single golden age, and in some cases well armed stern will required for hydras. I use to make stern double as high and put there a ballistas for whales, but now I use my schooner for whales quest.

• Thanks 1

And yeah. One more tip from me (I wanna see more ships like that in the game). You can attach wall hooks to ship surfaces (masts, wall etc) and put lanterns or torches there. Then you stand on podium or stand behind steering wheel. You press "O" by default, and then press "O" after 1.5 - 2 seconds. It'll light up all lanterns/torches you attached to your ship. You press "O" again - and all light will turn off : )

Just don't put hook to the bottom part of middle sail. Because of just 500 hp, it will be destroyed every fight lol : )

yNogREO.jpg

(this picture from another thread about wrong handling sail position).

Edited by George Catcher
  • Like 1

"Ive seen planets turn faster than galleys" was how i felt after using them to fight SotD.. And recovering the loot took longer than the fight i completely agree w @George Catcher on both points... and my gally had 6 handling sails 🤣

Edited by Ranger1k
  • Like 2

Sorry still waking up drinking coffee... When i did most of my SotD fighting i was still new to the game and i ran 21-24 fine cannons on a common brig w a 180 frame. 

Had 6 per side, 6 rear and 3 in front.

Also i ran the Captain skill tree spec giving faster cannon reloads

Another caveat, we had a company member nekkid ready to fast travel to repair as readed who had max repair skill

Also its been a while, after adding crew slots i focused on defense to offense at a 3:1 ratio if i remember correctly.. Brought down some red SotD (Brigs maybe) but i dont remember more because i wound up rage scuttling the brig due to a glitch.

Last thing i dont recall the SotD rewards being very substantial given risk vs reward..

• Like 2

Theres a great weight article or section under guides forum which reinforced something i had intuited already... Main point seemed to be..

After 50% total ship weight achieved the speed rolloff becomes icreasingly worse. Point being the speed loss going from 50% to 60% is WAY worse than when you go from 40% to 50%

6 hours ago, George Catcher said:

End of 3rd season June Large cannons ONLY worked in gunports, zero placement options anywhere else on ship. This why i ran about 4 per side on the bottom deck placed in the middle of my gally. Did 2 big battles annihilating 6+ SotD formations via raw firepower & slow manuevers. Never tried harpoons but considered it. Ship was specced 160def/ 160 offense the rest split between beds and sturdiness. The Captains feats help a TON

Became annoyed at the inability to manuever and only recovering like 20% of the flotsams. Considered getting a teammate runng a brig to tail me, covering my backside and to pick up loot.

Docked it and set it aside as a possible Kraken ship but then wipe occurred

Edited by Ranger1k
  • Like 1

@George Catcher (or anyone else) ever try using the harpoons to lock the ships together broadside?

Does it work in PvE?

Details on the mechanics would be appreciated

ever try using the harpoons to lock the ships together broadside?

Errr... if it works this way, I definitely don't wanna do that. The key to successful boardside fight is to approach damned ship the way he points his nose to you. If I lock damned galley boardside to me - I dead : )))

So no. Didn't try this.

Yea i meant a front and rear lock via broadside using 2 harpoons.. Probably sounds better in theory than reality. (Gally vs whatever)

However this would, theoretically be a POSSIBLE part of boarding methodology so my head isn't completely in the clouds lol 😉

Of course SotD cant be defeated via boarding im pretty sure... So oh well. Maye possible uses later

• Like 1